Poulter responds to Brandel's criticism.... gets blocked.

Caddykev

I've always been neutral towards Poulter, but I have to say that his response to Brandel's criticism of him was spot on. I think he was trying to win, but that the course was playing extremely tough. I personally think laying up on 16 was the right move with the firmness of the greens, that he pulled his shot on 17 judging by his response to it, and that his 4th on 18 that he nearly holed showed gusto, especially after a shank. Brandel to me is hit or miss, but if you can dish it, you gotta be able to take it, and blocking Poulter was pretty petty in my opinion.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things. First off in an interview afterwards Poulter admitted that he was "nervous all day". His playing strategy on 16 after his drive was the correct one I think. Trying to play off of that slope is a much less risky way to get close to the hole rather than a direct approach at the flag. From the angle I saw on TV it didn't look like he missed his spot by all that much to have the slope take it. It happens but Brandel made a big deal out of it. IMO Poulter's approach on 12 was much more deserving of criticism than the approach on 16. 12 was awful and no excuse for what he did there. 17? Hey, at least he didn't hit it in the water! It was a safe shot and you could argue an overly conservative strategy but he still had a look at birdie. 18 well, he shanked one and admitted it. I dunno. It was a very conservative strategy down the stretch IMO but he didn't shoot himself out of it and while I'm sure he would have loved to win the tournament he may well have been playing with a bigger picture in mind and I can't blame him for it.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Maybe Ian quite rightly wanted to more or less guarantee his status for next year rather than drop 2-3 shots back and lose out on 600ish thousand dollars and 30 or so spots in the FedEx. Right now he has pretty much exactly the number that got you into the playoffs last year.

Chamblee licks windows and everyone knows it.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Poulter won $924,000 for 2nd place which is about $380,000 more than winning the Puerto Rico open...it secures his card for the next couple of years at least.. and for a guy that thought his career was entering it's twilight a few weeks ago that's pretty impressive....JB Holmes shot 84!

Exactly this. Blame the system if you want but don't blame the player for utilizing it. It will be interesting though to see how Poulter reacts now if he is in contention say later this year. Will he play more aggressively down the stretch since he's basically good through 2018?

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Poulter won $924,000 for 2nd place which is about $380,000 more than winning the Puerto Rico open...it secures his card for the next couple of years at least.. and for a guy that thought his career was entering it's twilight a few weeks ago that's pretty impressive....JB Holmes shot 84!

Kim needed to back up to give anyone a chance. JB shot 84 with 4 birdies. I've never been a fan of Poulter but I thought he played very well out there. Poulter was ecstatic at the end of the round. Nice to see such exuberance!

I have the tournament recorded and haven't had a chance to watch it. NoLayingUp had tweeted about how bad the fans treated him on Sunday. Did anyone notice fans yelling anything at him during the coverage?

Nothing stood out to me watching the coverage.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Kim needed to back up to give anyone a chance. JB shot 84 with 4 birdies. I've never been a fan of Poulter but I thought he played very well out there. Poulter was ecstatic at the end of the round. Nice to see such exuberance!

Yeah....."Playing to win".....He actually won HUGE regarding his career for the next few years!

Chamblee's (and anyone else's) desire to see aggressive play in the closing holes is reasonable, but to dress down a player in Poulter's position for being conservative is shabby and silly. And pandering after Duval's approval at the same time was hard to watch. Chamblee gets weaker by the year.

Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52 (old)
Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip

Poulter did what was best for him and his family, Chamblee has a different agenda and didn't like Poulter "settling" for 2nd. I'd have done the same thing, without Kim messing up Poulter wasn't going to catch him and Kim knew that and played the last two holes fairly conservatively.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Meh, he hasn't played well in a while and needed to ensure that he locked up his status/exemptions, which probably feels more important when you've spent the last while on the cusp of falling off the tour.

Also the only way he wins is if Kim blows it down the stretch, I thought everything poulter did was fine, and I thought he responded from the hosel rocket well.

Now's about the time were Ian tries to figure out a way to get Brandle fired, isn't that his style in these situations?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

"Money matters, world ranking points matter, and I get it," Chamblee said. "I have hit that shot. I have done that. I have done exactly what Ian Poulter did. No one is ever going to call me a good player. We reserve the right to call great players and great shots. This is why we don't laud (Poulter's shot). We laud the shot David Duval hit, the shots that Tiger Woods hit. That's why we laud those, that's why we stand up and go 'Well done, great shot.' (Poulter's shot), was not that."

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/05/14/brandel-chamblee-ian-poulter-clearly-did-not-play-win-players

Good to see Ian getting his teeth back a bit after his first real good tournament in, what, 2 years?

All kidding aside, I didnt see/hear Chamblee's comments, but watching the tournament live yesterday I did form the opinion that Poulter was playing that back nine like HE was the one with the 2 shot lead, not the one chasing 2 shots back. Played very conservative, not really taking on any pins despite living in the fairway the entire round, seemingly just waiting for SWK to make a mistake instead of going for it and trying to win the tournament.

All that being said, SWK was a deserving winner. But he spent his entire round scrambling. The win was there for Poulter to take, in my opinion, if he was a bit more aggressive. Ian really didnt give himself a good birdie look the entire back 9. Cant win a tournament that way.

"Money matters, world ranking points matter, and I get it," Chamblee said. "I have hit that shot. I have done that. I have done exactly what Ian Poulter did. No one is ever going to call me a good player. We reserve the right to call great players and great shots. This is why we don't laud (Poulter's shot). We laud the shot David Duval hit, the shots that Tiger Woods hit. That's why we laud those, that's why we stand up and go 'Well done, great shot.' (Poulter's shot), was not that."

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/05/14/brandel-chamblee-ian-poulter-clearly-did-not-play-win-players

Can't say I disagree with that.

I thought I heard Chamblee saying the course was playing to firm and fast for the superstars to be able to attack it. How then can he criticize a player for playing defensively. Kim didn't falter and trully desrved to win, but if he had one slip up on the way in Poulter could have won.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5, set at 9.5 stock R-flex
Taylormade M2 3 wood R-flex stock shaft.
Tour Edge Exotic EX9 hybrids, 2 and 5 Recoil R-flex shaft.
Taylormade P790 5-PW Modus 105 R-flex shafts
Titleist Vokey 50,54 and 58 wedges
Odyssey 2 ball.

Everyone thought Kim would falter.....heading into the Players he was terrible....WD's...missed cuts....280 Driving average....Kim didn't back up but you can't blame someone for playing safe thinking that he would.

yep, he hits one in the water and loses to poulter, everybody would be saying 'that's the way jack won, by being patient' ... dude finished 2nd and people want to call him out for not playing to win ... guess everybody below him wasn't playing to win, either ...

Everyone thought Kim would falter.....heading into the Players he was terrible....WD's...missed cuts....280 Driving average....Kim didn't back up but you can't blame someone for playing safe thinking that he would.

That to me is the most amazing things of the whole week. TPC Sawgrass is one of those courses where they say if you're looking for your game you're not gonna find it there. But somehow he did. There was nothing flashy with what he did he just was incredibly solid. I never got the sense that he was gonna give in to the pressure on Sunday.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

That to me is the most amazing things of the whole week. TPC Sawgrass is one of those courses where they say if you're looking for your game you're not gonna find it there. But somehow he did. There was nothing flashy with what he did he just was incredibly solid. I never got the sense that he was gonna give in to the pressure on Sunday.

I agree, Kim won because he didn't make the big mistakes and put up big numbers. It may not be the most heroic way to win but on that course this past weekend it was the best approach to winning.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

HItting the 17th green at TPC Sawgrass on a Sunday of the TPC is no small feat. I can't remember if I played [it] on a Tuesday or a Friday but I managed to rinse two.....

Maybe it wasn't a great shot.....but it shouldn't have been called out in the manner Chamblee portrayed it.

Poulter's career and his life. That $924K will net him another Ferrari (even after the caddy/manager cut and taxes.)

Successful week for him considering where he was just a month ago.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade