Poulter responds to Brandel's criticism.... gets blocked.

Caddykev

He would also say "Bank your par, or Bank your bogey" This was an ongoing adjustment after each shot. Banking meant you hit the next shot that would "guarantee" the highest number you could make> for instance if I am 140 out in the fairway I would approach my next shot with the intent of "banking my par" meaning I wasn't going to hit at a tucked pin or a short sided pin and bring bogey or higher into the equation. Let's say I hit a bad shot and put it in the bunker well then I would approach the next shot as a "bank your bogey" moment and so on. It really helped me commit to shots and play "freer". I saw a lot of that in Poulter yesterday. Doesn't make it wrong but doesn't make for "theatrical" finishes.

And I think Poulter was banking his pars. For my own game I call it max par. On that course in those conditions I think he was correct.

Not theatrical enough for the masses? I sincerely doubt there is a player that cares about that.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would also say "Bank your par, or Bank your bogey" This was an ongoing adjustment after each shot. Banking meant you hit the next shot that would "guarantee" the highest number you could make> for instance if I am 140 out in the fairway I would approach my next shot with the intent of "banking my par" meaning I wasn't going to hit at a tucked pin or a short sided pin and bring bogey or higher into the equation. Let's say I hit a bad shot and put it in the bunker well then I would approach the next shot as a "bank your bogey" moment and so on. It really helped me commit to shots and play "freer". I saw a lot of that in Poulter yesterday. Doesn't make it wrong but doesn't make for "theatrical" finishes.

And I think Poulter was banking his pars. For my own game I call it max par. On that course in those conditions I think he was correct.

Not theatrical enough for the masses? I sincerely doubt there is a player that cares about that.

I agree. With the way the course was playing on the weekend it wasn't lending itself to a come from behind charge. Kim had a bigger advantage with the lead than your garden variety Tour event. Perez's Saturday 66 was easily the outlier round of the weekend. If anything else this course w/the new greens was playing more like a US Open lite.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Flip side is just look at the leaderboard and all of the "names" that were going backwards on a difficult day for scoring. Maybe he figured his best chance was to make pars and have Kim stumble. The fact that Kim did not does not make the strategy incorrect. No one was able to be aggressive AND shoot a good score it seemed.

Where those two points differ is in general fans want to see it all laid on the line in an effort to win. That is where heroes are made. That is where the memories are made. Instead you have what happened, a lackluster finish no one will even remember next year.

So is here a chance Kim could melt down on his own? Sure. However pressing him into playing for birdies instead of on autopilot taking the safe shots increases those odds.

Or, on that course showing a relentless march up the leaderboard as Poulter did on the front nine and holding steady on the back could force errors from Kim. What the fans want is NASCAR carnage and they get it at the Players. Poulter played a style that gives him the best chance to win.

Funny you bring up NASCAR since that is one place where you often will see guys sit back and accept a top 10 or top 5 finish, protecting their cars to the checkered flag in order to put those Chase points in the bank.

Faldo won one of his Opens with 18 pars on the Sunday from memory. Boring golf can be effective.

I didn't know about the theatrics comment until now.

Go f--- yourself Chamblow. Seriously. Downhill lie in the rough with a wind with a rock hard green. Poutler did what he had to. His shot to 17 was smart too. Cut player playing for the cut and pulled it a little bit do it didn't trickle to the pin location. Then on 18, what are you to do about a shank? It happens and he has a history of it.

Normally you would expect a guy like Si Woo Kim to show a flaw coming down the stretch and you should play to put the pressure on him not to mess up. That's what you do. Kim played well so at a certain point Poulter way playing to protect from a big slide.

I rather see smart golf than theatrics just because it makes Brandles wee wee fizz.

I was impressed with Poulter's honesty about being nervous the first 9 but said he felt better on the back nine. The S was just one of those things but the recovery shot was a great shot IMHO. Exactly why do people listen to Brandel and why is he criticizing other PGA players is a mystery to me. I don't remember him being #1 on tour.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Given Kim's inexperience and youth it would be reasonable for Poulter to think Kim might succumb to the pressure and make some bad shots.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Succumb to what pressure? Nobody put any pressure on him.

Succumb to the only pressure that can take one down ... thoughts, nerves, tension, diarrhea, gas, anxiety, large debt due yesterday to billy the leg breaker, ...

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

Kim did what needed to be done on Sunday at this year's fake 5th major. He played steady, clean golf. The rest of them showed up, and then gave up.

JB Holmes went from champ to chop in a matter of 4 hours. Upon finishing # 17, the poor guy looked like Robert Allenby sans the bruises, lacerations and outrageous claims.

I'm just glad I was at my in laws stuffing my face and didn't see his late round. Took a peek at his shot tracker for 17 and almost cried.

He went pale, poor guy was defeated

If I were Poults, I would deliver a pair of clown shoes to the Golf Channel's headquarters for "the Coif" and a key to one of my Ferraris to the Coif's fiancée with a note that said, "better looking, richer, with a sexier accent."

Brilliant. I'd go one further. Next time they are live I'd deliver them along with a red nose in hand, then say "oh and if your wife wants a night out I'll picker her up in the Enzo", then walk off live on air

Everybody is a critic. Poulter played very well on Sunday, and that 12th hole was no bargain. I saw a couple of guys hit the green and end up in the water. It's like the announcers getting on Zach Johnson's butt for laying up on every par 5 at the Masters, which he ended up winning. Had Poulter won, I am sure people would be saying what a wise decision he made by laying up on 12.

And, I am sure the FedEx points was on his mind.

Nothing to see here

Brandel is doing exactly what he is paid to do... drum up controversy and drama. Otherwise, you think most people are tuning in to hear about Si woo kim?!

Poulter played to his strengths and protected his long term status... a very wise move

i thought he was paid to promote tahatha golf

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Faldo won one of his Opens with 18 pars on the Sunday from memory. Boring golf can be effective.

Amazing for a player of Faldo's caliber to be able to do that, it's basically unheard of.

It was a very conservative strategy down the stretch IMO but he didn't shoot himself out of it and while I'm sure he would have loved to win the tournament he may well have been playing with a bigger picture in mind and I can't blame him for it.

That's precisely what Brandel said. And that Poulter wasn't a great player because great players shoot at flags and try to make birdies when they're 2 back with 3 holes to go. Nothing Chamblee said was incorrect. He does sometimes come across as an a**, though. That doesn't change the fact that he's right. Nicklaus, Woods, Duval, etc... great players... none of them would be shooting at the middle of the green while 2 back.

Even Fowler... remember last year at the end on 17? Flag in same spot as this past Sunday... he shot at it every time and birdied it trying to win. That's what great players do. Poulter isn't a great player. Good Ryder Cup player, but Brandel was correct in his critique that Poulter isn't a great player precisely because he wasn't playing to win.

And the nonsense that he pulled his tee shot on 17 is wrong. Before he even started his swing I was yelling at the TV about what a chicken$hit he was aiming at the middle of the green with the tournament on the line.

Brandel sets behind a media desk because he couldn't, for what ever the reason, make it on tour. So, him telling any currently active tour player what to do or how to, makes him look foolish. He's not a teacher or pro. Least if a credible instructor had an opinion, I could respect it more than squirts. Can't help but wonder if squirt is pipping up to create controversy and get more attention. He's done it in the past.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

It was a very conservative strategy down the stretch IMO but he didn't shoot himself out of it and while I'm sure he would have loved to win the tournament he may well have been playing with a bigger picture in mind and I can't blame him for it.

That's precisely what Brandel said. And that Poulter wasn't a great player because great players shoot at flags and try to make birdies when they're 2 back with 3 holes to go. Nothing Chamblee said was incorrect. He does sometimes come across as an a**, though. That doesn't change the fact that he's right. Nicklaus, Woods, Duval, etc... great players... none of them would be shooting at the middle of the green while 2 back.

Even Fowler... remember last year at the end on 17? Flag in same spot as this past Sunday... he shot at it every time and birdied it trying to win. That's what great players do. Poulter isn't a great player. Good Ryder Cup player, but Brandel was correct in his critique that Poulter isn't a great player precisely because he wasn't playing to win.

And the nonsense that he pulled his tee shot on 17 is wrong. Before he even started his swing I was yelling at the TV about what a chicken$hit he was aiming at the middle of the green with the tournament on the line.

People dont like hearing the truth unfortunately. I dont blame him for using that strategy however hes lying to himself and the world saying he was trying to win. he banked fedex cup points, money and OWGR spots but lets not pretend hes some 25 year old getting his feet wet and just trying to survive on tour.A player of his caliber and notriety taking a knee is embarassing. Put Phil and Tiger in the same position, i dont say they win but they sure dont care if they finish 6th-7th if they put 1 in the drink gambling a bit. He needs to stop being defensive about it and just admit it. No big deal really but he can never ever not have the last word.

watch the golfchannel's own series on Jack .. he quite often played for par down the stretch on tough holes, even when a couple of strokes behind ...

How I see it - three weeks ago Poulter was on the verge of losing his tour card, you know, what earns him his livelihood, supports his family, etc. And we are faulting a guy for not hitting a hybrid/5 wood out of the rough all carry over water to a tucked right pin to win the tournament?

The dude was trying to place as high as possible on Sunday, meaning if he won, he won, but making dumb decisions and playing the final holes in 4-over instead of 1-over would have cost him possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars and certain privileges.

Sure, he didn't hit the highlight shot. But he didn't hit the dumb one, either. He was "smarter than most" out there on Sunday...to borrow from Gary Koch...