Callaway Epic, Epic Pro Irons and Epic Hybrids: In-Hand Photos

GolfWRX

I posted this in the Epic Iron Comparison thread, but just wanted to share here in case others weren't following that one.

I went to the course last night for our league. They had a Callaway demo event going on. I had about 5 minutes before I had to be on the tee but went up to the tent to ask if they had the new Epic iron with. The rep handed me a 6 iron in the Epic Pro. My first impression was that it looks so much better in person that in the photos. It is a lot thinner than I thought it would be. I hit 3 balls with it before I had to rush to my tee box. It felt a little harder than I was expecting, like the ball just flew off the face. It really seemed to want to go straight and high. Not in a bad way though.

In the end, I really hope I get the opportunity to try these a little further just because. I still can't afford them, but the concept is pretty cool. I was very skeptical, but I have to admit, my eyes have been opened a little bit. Give them a chance, you may end up liking them after all.

I heard from a club builder near me that they look better in person then the photos. He also said they hit really nice, but we still wondered if they were worth the extra money compared to other irons out there.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the Epic Iron Comparison thread, but just wanted to share here in case others weren't following that one.

I went to the course last night for our league. They had a Callaway demo event going on. I had about 5 minutes before I had to be on the tee but went up to the tent to ask if they had the new Epic iron with. The rep handed me a 6 iron in the Epic Pro. My first impression was that it looks so much better in person that in the photos. It is a lot thinner than I thought it would be. I hit 3 balls with it before I had to rush to my tee box. It felt a little harder than I was expecting, like the ball just flew off the face. It really seemed to want to go straight and high. Not in a bad way though.

In the end, I really hope I get the opportunity to try these a little further just because. I still can't afford them, but the concept is pretty cool. I was very skeptical, but I have to admit, my eyes have been opened a little bit. Give them a chance, you may end up liking them after all.

I heard from a club builder near me that they look better in person then the photos. He also said they hit really nice, but we still wondered if they were worth the extra money compared to other irons out there.

It's all relative I suppose. If you can afford them and you feel they are worth it, then they're worth it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

These look like every Callaway cast club release of the last 10 years. Its almost insulting to put these out at $250 a club. There's a sucker born every minute.

Exactly my thoughts.

As I said a few pages ago, it's an even more expensive looking BB OS iron...and they're over priced to start with as well.

Purely marketing that will sell these. Just the 7 iron lines now for Callaway.

That is an opinion right? I play the BB OS irons and this is the first time that I dropped a 5 hybrid for the 5 iron. The 5 iron is actually easier to hit. I can't remember one round where I thought those irons were overpriced; tremendous performers!

The technology in the Epic irons, for the most part, is derived from the BB OSs, but it has been improved. We will see the improved technology in the new BB OS to the extent that Callaway can hit the price point!

It's all relative I suppose. If you can afford them and you feel they are worth it, then they're worth it.

Agreed. I always put things into a cost vs benefit analysis. I don't mind paying more if I feel I'm getting a better quality and performing product.

I'm a sucker for green so I actually like the looks of these. I am a Cally fan since the X-14s so I will hit these. Will never be able to afford them but I will hit them.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Stopped by my local shop to pick up some odds and ends, one of the guys pulled me aside. He had just unwrapped the new epic pro irons. And I gotta say, they were just spectacular. The back looks cheap and ugly in my opinion, but from address they looked just spectacular.

Hit the 7 iron with the stock LZ 105 6.0. My completely unbiased opinion is that they are worth the money if they're right for you and you can afford them. I am not switching from my Z545s, but I can see why some may be tempted from what they're playing.

Here's some numbers. I'll let you be the judge

On a side note, does anyone know if the hybrid will come in a lower lofted option. Maybe a 17 or 18?

It would be nice to see some options on the web, but they still just have that same stupid 1 page ad that has been on their site for about 10-12 days. At the bottom of the page, it says " Check back for constant updates on Epic irons and hybrids"

BULLSH!T, you put up one lazy Word not allowed page then let it sit there for 2 weeks. How about letting someone browse options prior to pre-order.

I love the products, but release of the Epic, O-Works, and now these have been a bit strange with all the secrecy on the Epic, the whole misinformation on weights for the O-Works, and now this weirdness.

Check Back For Constant Updates & Details on the New Epic Irons & Hybrids

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

It would be nice to see some options on the web, but they still just have that same stupid 1 page ad that has been on their site for about 10-12 days. At the bottom of the page, it says " Check back for constant updates on Epic irons and hybrids"

BULLSH!T, you put up one lazy Word not allowed page then let it sit there for 2 weeks. How about letting someone browse options prior to pre-order.

I love the products, but release of the Epic, O-Works, and now these have been a bit strange with all the secrecy on the Epic, the whole misinformation on weights for the O-Works, and now this weirdness.

Building the anticipation.. maybe a little video of a mini Hulk smashing out of a wall ...

(trust me, you are not the only left in the dark)

tumblr_om5gslLQ5D1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

On a side note, does anyone know if the hybrid will come in a lower lofted option. Maybe a 17 or 18?

Lofts: 2H (18˚), 3H (20˚), 4H (23˚), 5H (26˚)

The 18 is adjustable down to 17 as well.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

It's pretty standard for a company to not make its product page live until pre-ordering begins. Otherwise you'd just have pre-ordering start now.

It's pretty standard for a company to not make its product page live until pre-ordering begins. Otherwise you'd just have pre-ordering start now.

The O-Works detail pages for each putter, with specs and all was up before pre-order, so was hoping these would be also. I am over it, will be there tomorrow.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The O-Works detail pages for each putter, with specs and all was up before pre-order, so was hoping these would be also. I am over it, will be there tomorrow.

Warrick...

Odyssey gave you the O face didn't they?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

After further testing....I'm blown away by these. The regular epic irons look a lot like the CF16 Apex although shorter heel to toe and SLIGHTLY thicker. The Pros are perfection in my opinion. It's killing me I can't get my hands on a set. When I do I'll be comboing regular Epic 5,6,7 and Pro 8,9,PW. They are just so easy to hit, and feel so good.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

After further testing....I'm blown away by these. The regular epic irons look a lot like the CF16 Apex although shorter heel to toe and SLIGHTLY thicker. The Pros are perfection in my opinion. It's killing me I can't get my hands on a set. When I do I'll be comboing regular Epic 5,6,7 and Pro 8,9,PW. They are just so easy to hit, and feel so good.

what price will you get them for? ;)

I'm lucky enough to not have to pay for any of my golf equipment :)

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

Just what golf needs, a major manufacturer following a boutique company's lead and making their most highly engineered product even less affordable and thus increasing the barrier to participation in the game. Surely, others will continue down this path because they can't help themselves. Why would I buy another Callaway iron that is purposely under-engineered so as not to compete with their premium iron?

Don't get me wrong, they're free to manage their company however they want, but this doesn't make me want to support Callaway in any way. The downturn of many great companies started the same way. Callaway is basically asking "How much can we get away with charging for this?" instead of "How can we continue to provide great value to our customers?". It makes me less likely to buy any of their products, which is me voting with my money as a consumer against this trend they're hopping on.

Almost every manufactured retail product on the planet is sold in ranges of high to low - from automobiles to mattresses to personal computers. I wouldn't call a company selling its top of the range product for its highest price a "barrier to entry" - the consumer is free to purchase a downrange product at a lower price point. If anything, we are living in a golden age of golf equipment where a wide variety of excellent clubs are available at retail and second hand - club costs as a barrier to entry are perhaps at their lowest point in the history of the game.

As many others have stated, PXG didn't create the ultra-premium iron game. Callaway has done this on multiple occasions in the past, most recently with Fusion and FT irons, which were priced at over 150% of the standard pricing at the time. Japanese manufacturers have been selling ultra-premium club products for decades.

EXACTLY.

[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue 15*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway X Hot Pro 23* [/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Apex MB 5-PW[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Taylormade Spider Tour Red[/color][/font]

Hit the following irons today: Epic, Epic Pro, Steelhead XR, Steelhead XR Pro and CF16 at a demo.

Epic and Steelhead Pro worked best for me with Epic being the overall winner. That stated, I could play any of them. As much as I liked Epic, I don't believe that there performance benefit is enough to warrant the upcharge. I'd need trackman to decide and even then, I'm not sure I can go with a nearly $2k set of irons.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Curious if the Epics are set up as a Progressive set as are the CF 16s, (which I hope to switch to soon). Overall, strategically, I hope these are an absolute flop sales-wise. At $250 a club I think it would set a bad precedence in the industry that a company could have success charging this kind of price.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

I'm lucky enough to not have to pay for any of my golf equipment :)

Good deal

BTW, I've had the pleasure of playing your club a half dozen times, such a fun design.

I guess I just don't get it.

Hot faces don't promote accuracy. Refresh my memory—what's the goal when you've got an iron in your hand?

And apparently this also bears repeating for the ten millionth time: The number on the bottom of the club is irrelevant; only the loft matters. The Epic 7i is 30º—that's the same loft as a 6i from players' sets with a 46º PW (circa 2008-present).

We all know iron heads are damn cool, but at the end of the day, the most consequential variables by far are loft, feel, and shaft.

I already thought the "loft creep" game was ridiculous (though it has merit for slower SS guys), but now we have the price creep game to go along with it.

It's a shame there are enough people willing to drop serious coin on clubs like these—only to hit wipey cuts and lay sod over half their shots—and thereby encourage manufacturers to keep up with this insanity.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I spent a lot of time with them yesterday.

Irons are nothing special. Performance with a 7 and 9 irons is the same as the competition. 5 irons seems a little easier to launch, especially when hitting the Pro again other better player irons. I just cannot see spending that much money to launch a 5 iron a little bit higher.

The Hybrida are going to blow people away when they see the Trackman #s, but I am not sure how they would actually fit in my bag or perform on the course. I recently sold a Adams Idea 19 degree hybrid that I could hit about 225 off the tee and 215 off the deck. I hit the Epic 2 hybrid over 265 off the tee, and around 240 off the deck. I had to go down to the 4 hybrid to fit into the yardage I was looking for, and it launched really high and the wind just ate it up.

I guess I just don't get it.

Hot faces don't promote accuracy. Refresh my memory—what's the goal when you've got an iron in your hand?

And apparently this also bears repeating for the ten millionth time: The number on the bottom of the club is irrelevant; only the loft matters. The Epic 7i is 30º—that's the same loft as a 6i from players' sets with a 46º PW (circa 2008-present).

We all know iron heads are damn cool, but at the end of the day, the most consequential variables by far are loft, feel, and shaft.

I already thought the "loft creep" game was ridiculous (though it has merit for slower SS guys), but now we have the price creep game to go along with it.

It's a shame there are enough people willing to drop serious coin on clubs like these—only to hit wipey cuts and lay sod over half their shots—and thereby encourage manufacturers to keep up with this insanity.

I really think only hardcore Callaway people will be tempted by the new epic irons. I just can't see people who are happy with other manufacturer's irons to be tempted to make the switch for that price. I'm scared that now Mizuno will start charging $1,500-$1,800 for their irons cause they are just as good, if not better.

Any news on the non up charge shafts for the Epic Hybrids please?

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Kai'Li Blue 60 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022