2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Epic, Epic Pro Irons and Epic Hybrids: In-Hand Photos

GolfWRX

I guess I just don't get it.

Hot faces don't promote accuracy. Refresh my memory—what's the goal when you've got an iron in your hand?

The goal is to hit good shots.

You hit good shots by feeling comfortable.

You feel comfortable when you know you have a set of clubs that will perform for your swing.

Some people don't swing as well as you do.

They need help in the form of irons like Epic and other GI/SGI clubs.

Simples.

And apparently this also bears repeating for the ten millionth time: The number on the bottom of the club is irrelevant; only the loft matters. The Epic 7i is 30º—that's the same loft as a 6i from players' sets with a 46º PW (circa 2008-present).

It doesn't bear repeating.

We all know iron heads are damn cool, but at the end of the day, the most consequential variables by far are loft, feel, and shaft.

I already thought the "loft creep" game was ridiculous (though it has merit for slower SS guys).

You answered your own question.

It's a shame there are enough people willing to drop serious coin on clubs like these—only to hit wipey cuts and lay sod over half their shots—and thereby encourage manufacturers to keep up with this insanity.

Unnecessary swipe at higher handicap golfers aside, what is the problem with this? If you want cheaper players irons with 30 deg 6 iron, this release won't suddenly change that. The market for people like you still exists.

This is for people that want the prestige and exclusivity associated with the brand and price tag. This isn't for you.

No-one complains about the fact that there are really expensive cars for a very small, discerning part of the market. Why get all funny about it when it happens with golf equipment?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to figure the price point outrage. Callaway offers products from Walmart to the EPIC line, Taylormade has the discounted Adams line (granted not doing much with it) to the P770-750 line. Bettinardi offers a HIVE putter (1) club from around $1K. Every new driver this year, EPIC, M1/2, 917 all $500. Titleist is offering 3 wedges $2K. PXG just offers products for hedge fund guys (joke). UA offers shirts at retail for around $85, they also offer products at their outlet stores for half that price.

That being said; TM P770 around $1375 a set; EPIC 5-GW $1750. If you want the alleged TECH, are they really that far out line from other OEM's?

I believe every golf manufacturer is affording the consumer with choices, I believe that is a true benefit because the TECH in the EPIC line will trickle down.

It's not only in golf, I have plenty of friends bragging about their latest trophy shotgun for about $3K

Got to play with the Epic 3H today on the course.. oh man! First hybrid I have been able to hit straight or with a draw. More times than not I flare them right, so I just use a 5 wood.

This one wants to go straight or draw everytime.. long as crap too. I hit a green from 225 out with it not a usual for me... Man oh man it was sweet.

I don't know if I would ditch my SZ 5 wood for it but maybe a 4h or 5h to take place of my 4 iron...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Got to play with the Epic 3H today on the course.. oh man! First hybrid I have been able to hit straight or with a draw. More times than not I flare them right, so I just use a 5 wood.

This one wants to go straight or draw everytime.. long as crap too. I hit a green from 225 out with it not a usual for me... Man oh man it was sweet.

I don't know if I would ditch my SZ 5 wood for it but maybe a 4h or 5h to take place of my 4 iron...

good to hear.....

I have the 4H on the way, if it is good enough, may go back to a 3H as opposed to the 5W.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

good to hear.....

I have the 4H on the way, if it is good enough, may go back to a 3H as opposed to the 5W.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and experience with it. If I can get the right one (4H or 5H) to knock my 4 iron out then that might be a winner. I enjoy my 5 wood but it rarely gets used so... but when it does it goes straight :superman2:

protos F4

Still trying to figure the price point outrage. Callaway offers products from Walmart to the EPIC line, Taylormade has the discounted Adams line (granted not doing much with it) to the P770-750 line. Bettinardi offers a HIVE putter (1) club from around $1K. Every new driver this year, EPIC, M1/2, 917 all $500. Titleist is offering 3 wedges $2K. PXG just offers products for hedge fund guys (joke). UA offers shirts at retail for around $85, they also offer products at their outlet stores for half that price.

That being said; TM P770 around $1375 a set; EPIC 5-GW $1750. If you want the alleged TECH, are they really that far out line from other OEM's?

I believe every golf manufacturer is affording the consumer with choices, I believe that is a true benefit because the TECH in the EPIC line will trickle down.

It's not only in golf, I have plenty of friends bragging about their latest trophy shotgun for about $3K

The people complaining about the price probably fall into one of these two categories:

1) People who were never going to spend $2000 on a set of irons anyway. Either they can't afford them or they just cant justify the costs. Callaway is not releasing this product for them. It is for people with expendable income that want a solid performing club.

2) People who look at the clubs and see a $2000 plastic green looking badge with "EPIC" written on the back and wonder how a company can charge a premium price for a club that really doesn't encompass what premium products traditionally involve.

These are the same people who complain about PXG clubs or anything else that does not fit what they look for in a club. Bottom line is we are on an internet forum about golf and golf equipment. If people can't complain here then where can they.

The irons are a hard pass for me, but I wouldn't fault someone for buying them. Especially after hitting them a few times myself and seeing the numbers they produce.

The people complaining about the price probably fall into one of these two categories:

1) People who were never going to spend $2000 on a set of irons anyway. Either they can't afford them or they just cant justify the costs. Callaway is not releasing this product for them. It is for people with expendable income that want a solid performing club.

2) People who look at the clubs and see a $2000 plastic green looking badge with "EPIC" written on the back and wonder how a company can charge a premium price for a club that really doesn't encompass what premium products traditionally involve.

These are the same people who complain about PXG clubs or anything else that does not fit what they look for in a club. Bottom line is we are on an internet forum about golf and golf equipment. If people can't complain here then where can they.

The irons are a hard pass for me, but I wouldn't fault someone for buying them. Especially after hitting them a few times myself and seeing the numbers they produce.

It isn't about price, it is about value. I'm not saying the Epic irons are or are not a fair or good value, just that is what many have an issue with.

BigHook...

Im just wondering if the same people complain about the value of Titleist's concept irons or 600 driver?

For me, good on them for pushing the envelope and pricing something that they work hard on. The titleist stuff wasn't for me but I won't knock them for trying.

PXG the same thing.. If people have the money and can afford them cool...if not oh well. Every OEM makes good product and some are price above or below what people think..

Just don't knock something until you try it is my rule of thumb---

protos F4

BigHook...

Im just wondering if the same people complain about the value of Titleist's concept irons or 600 driver?

For me, good on them for pushing the envelope and pricing something that they work hard on. The titleist stuff wasn't for me but I won't knock them for trying.

PXG the same thing.. If people have the money and can afford them cool...if not oh well. Every OEM makes good product and some are price above or below what people think..

I agree, but many did have issues with the Titleist concept clubs that were so expensive. It is tough to justify these days, because most of the clubs from the major manufacturers are very good. I would have a hard time justifying many irons over my Mizuno 900 forged, which are quite a bit less then the new epic irons and PXG. When I hit the PXG I didn't have my own clubs and thought they were great. I still like them, but when I did a fitting the extra cost didn't justify that I got the same ball speed numbers from the 900 forged.

For me it is more about getting the correct shaft in the iron, and then finding an iron I like the look and feel of. I've seen quite a few people play PXG irons, but their drivers and fairway woods aren't good enough to support the increase in price over Callaway or TM fairway woods.

BigHook...

I agree, but many did have issues with the Titleist concept clubs that were so expensive. It is tough to justify these days, because most of the clubs from the major manufacturers are very good. I would have a hard time justifying many irons over my Mizuno 900 forged, which are quite a bit less then the new epic irons and PXG. When I hit the PXG I didn't have my own clubs and thought they were great. I still like them, but when I did a fitting the extra cost didn't justify that I got the same ball speed numbers from the 900 forged.

For me it is more about getting the correct shaft in the iron, and then finding an iron I like the look and feel of. I've seen quite a few people play PXG irons, but their drivers and fairway woods aren't good enough to support the increase in price over Callaway or TM fairway woods.

Completely agree. It is so close for OEMS on most of their products.. Some consumers are getting smarter and realizing the need for fittings and comparing all of the brands vs. each other... some not all.

I think the Epic irons will be successful and it is not bad for the overall market.

protos F4

BigHook...

Completely agree. It is so close for OEMS on most of their products.. Some consumers are getting smarter and realizing the need for fittings and comparing all of the brands vs. each other... some not all.

I think the Epic irons will be successful and it is not bad for the overall market.

I think it is more about pushing boundaries and Callaway trying to find out their market higher priced clubs. I remember quite a few people here purchasing the more expensive Titleist clubs because they were fairly loyal to Titleist. I think Callaway is doing the same thing, and trying to see what their specific market is.

I think they will do fairly well, but I think it will be mostly from people who already own many Callaway products. I don't see them pulling people who are more loyal to other manufacturer's irons.

BigHook...

I think it is more about pushing boundaries and Callaway trying to find out their market higher priced clubs. I remember quite a few people here purchasing the more expensive Titleist clubs because they were fairly loyal to Titleist. I think Callaway is doing the same thing, and trying to see what their specific market is.

I think they will do fairly well, but I think it will be mostly from people who already own many Callaway products. I don't see them pulling people who are more loyal to other manufacturer's irons.

Yeah it should be interesting.. I know the Epic drivers had some people jumping fences but irons in a completely different spectrum.

protos F4

It isn't about price, it is about value. I'm not saying the Epic irons are or are not a fair or good value, just that is what many have an issue with.

Price is always about value. If they were 20 dollars a club instead of 200 they would be a good value. Price determines value for an individual. Value is represented by "cannot justify costs" because at some price point they change from undesirable to desirable. Also "charging a premium price for a product that is not perceived as premium" is directly tied into value.

The Epic Pro irons are essentially Callaway's answer to the Titleist TMB and C16 irons. Both have the look of a players iron, but offer distance and forgiveness. I ended up buying a set of TMB's used for $900 and the only way I'd buy the Epic Pro's is if I could get them used for about $900. But there will be a large group of people that will buy them new. It's a way of releasing newer tech that is going to cost more. If you watch the video's on the Epic irons, you'll know how long of a process it is to make these irons. The price point is partially due to the costs it takes to make the irons.

What will happen is in 2 years they will figure out ways to get the costs down and the "Apex" brand will have the same tech as these irons and then the "Epic" brand will move on to another new set of tech. We are essentially seeing and able to purchase the "no budget, make what you want" irons that would have never made it to market in the last 20 years. But now that they know people will pay $250 for a club, they are releasing those clubs.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Price is always about value. If they were 20 dollars a club instead of 200 they would be a good value. Price determines value for an individual. Value is represented by "cannot justify costs" because at some price point they change from undesirable to desirable. Also "charging a premium price for a product that is not perceived as premium" is directly tied into value.

Price is part of value, but not always the same. I agree that price is dependent on the individual, and that charging a premium price for something that is not perceived as premium is tied to value. Someone might think that a lawnmower is a great deal, while someone who lives in a condo considers it a waste of money. The issue here is the same with any more expensive golf clubs, are they worth it to someone. For many Callaway loyalists they might be, for many others the slight difference in performance might not be worth it. No different with houses, some people price them to high. You may find the one person who thinks being next to the highway is great, while the majority of buyers will not. They can ask any price they want, doesn't mean it will sell.

Everyone was laughing at pxg, lol.....

Now big brands are trying to copy them.....

Maybe he knew something the masses didnt, that people would pay.......sure these are great though hideous looking on back.....saw one in person other day and pro model looked really good at address......but $250 a club is ridiculous....i would have tried it but no way i am gonna fork out that kinda money and i buy lots of new clubs......

I dont see the extra money involved....welding faces on irons isnt new and neither is metal theyre using.....I do however see the huge profit margins.....Am always skeptical unless proven otherwise kinda person....

I'm certainly looking forward to testing them in a couple of weeks

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

what shafts did u guys demo in the epic hybrid? i have oban golds in my other woods

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

what shafts did u guys demo in the epic hybrid? i have oban golds in my other woods

Just the stock recoil. Felt very solid but like a true wrxer I was eyeing down a hzdrus 85 for one.

protos F4

Tried the Epic hybrid with Rome 988 and it was really really good!! Good chance it knocks the 815 alpha out of the bag!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

do i really need new irons? already searching for a new bettinardi putter

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Maybe he knew something the masses didnt, that people would pay.......sure these are great though hideous looking on back.....saw one in person other day and pro model looked really good at address......but $250 a club is ridiculous....i would have tried it but no way i am gonna fork out that kinda money and i buy lots of new clubs......

I dont see the extra money involved....welding faces on irons isnt new and neither is metal theyre using.....I do however see the huge profit margins.....Am always skeptical unless proven otherwise kinda person....

Well you wouldn't even hit the club, so it sounds like you aren't willing to be proven otherwise.

As far as Bob Parsons: He's a brilliant business person, I don't think that's undeniable. He didn't invent the high end club market though. He made it more main stream and was the first to become a large (er) manufacturer to be so exclusive, but there were plenty of clubs at 3x the price of other clubs, well before PXG came about. If the Callaway's are anything like PXG's, they'll be great clubs though.

Well you wouldn't even hit the club, so it sounds like you aren't willing to be proven otherwise.

As far as Bob Parsons: He's a brilliant business person, I don't think that's undeniable. He didn't invent the high end club market though. He made it more main stream and was the first to become a large (er) manufacturer to be so exclusive, but there were plenty of clubs at 3x the price of other clubs, well before PXG came about. If the Callaway's are anything like PXG's, they'll be great clubs though.

i already have set of irons that go a mile...and theres already quite a few out that do....not looking fir distance....no club is worth that much to me, or to most.....sure theyll sell a few but my guess is those types of people will just buy PXG....its a status mentality more than a performance one, and callaway doesnt have it in that realm.....they already tried it b4 and it didn't work.....their banking on PXG success to rollover into them.......doubt it will

i already have set of irons that go a mile...and theres already quite a few out that do....not looking fir distance....no club is worth that much to me, or to most.....sure theyll sell a few but my guess is those types of people will just buy PXG....its a status mentality more than a performance one, and callaway doesnt have it in that realm.....they already tried it b4 and it didn't work.....their banking on PXG success to rollover into them.......doubt it will

They are betting on the epic line to carry over.

Guys want " more player type" iron heads that want distance will jump on them.

How many older gents do you know that won't give up blades because that's what they grew up on... maybe this is the answer if they have lost yardages.

I hear all of the time ..man those BIg Bertha OS go long and straight but man they are chunky, etc. well sir, have you hit the epic pro..

protos F4