Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Balls are not balanced!!

lobub

I did not find any other topics on this so here it goes...

I've been following @golf_ball_guts on instagram and he recently posted photos and video of him slicing a chrome soft truvis in half and discovering that the core was significantly off center.

I wanted to post my own findings after doing some of my own experiments for all the wrxers out there.

I took one of my own used white/orange truvis chrome soft balls, cut it in half and discovered that it, too, had a significantly off center core. See pic below.

This prompted me to do the epsom salt test on two other chrome soft balls I have (these were found on my local course and did not come from the same package) and found that they were not balanced, ie, the same spot on the golf ball kept rising to the top indicating one side of the ball is lighter than the other.

I tested a ProV1 I have in the epsom salt bath for comparison and found that it was very well balanced.

It's hard for me to imagine that the 3 balls I have and the ball that @golf_ball_guts cut are anomalies so I'm afraid Callaway may have a quality control issue going on here.

I also wonder if other models like Supersoft have this same issue.

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

isit the same for chrome soft and truvis or just truvis?

I have a sleeve of Truvis and cant bring myself to play them, fugly things, Golf balls should be pristine white, end of.

I've only cut one Truvis. Had to borrow pipe cutters to do it.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Is it within a measurable tolerance though? Without the drawings for this product, you don't know what's actually allowable.

Regardless, say it's imbalanced like you've shown. What affect is that having for us mere mortal golfers?

Your first question should be answered by Callaway.

On a 15ft putt, I'm sure it has an effect. Although us mere mortal guys almost never putt on perfect greens so it's probably a wash. But it is one more variable to worry about when using an unbalanced ball.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

I did the salt test with a dozen of Chrome soft +'s and only one was truly round. The rest had some sort of bias, but not terrible. As long as you know where that bias is and it's not a huge one, there isn't much to worry about. I'm going to do some other tests soon on other balls to see how they stack up.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I did the salt test with a dozen of Chrome soft +'s and only one was truly round. The rest had some sort of bias, but not terrible. As long as you know where that bias is and it's not a huge one, there isn't much to worry about. I'm going to do some other tests soon on other balls to see how they stack up.

What is the ratio from salt to water ? I want to do a Ksig as I suspect with the visible seem it may have a balance issue.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

What is the ratio from salt to water ? I want to do a Ksig as I suspect with the visible seem it may have a balance issue.

I just kept putting in more salt until the golf ball floated. I don't have an exact number of tablespoons, but I remember being surprised at how much salt it took. I want to say it was close to a cup and I was using a 10oz glass of water.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Maybe someone who knows a Callaway ball rep can get them to chime in on these findings. Would love to know how much bias falls within their acceptable manufacturing specs.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Without knowing the affect of this minor imbalance, I can't be sure how "upset" I should be by this. If it's within allowable standards by Callaway then this would potentially mean even the pro's get a non perfect ball every now and then, and they all seem to score just fine.

Does it mean I get more/less side spin on a very well struck ball? I can see on putts how not being 100% balanced matters, but as stated, on our public muni greens that probably won't matter much.

Also OP can you measure how off the centricity is? I can obviously see just by inspection it's not perfect, but I am curious as to how much. Maybe somebody here who doesn't mind doing some investigation can start cutting and measuring a bunch of premium multi layer balls or something. Have to remember, this is commercial manufacturing where hundreds of thousands of balls are made. It's not highly constrained military grade equipment..

Without knowing the affect of this minor imbalance, I can't be sure how "upset" I should be by this. If it's within allowable standards by Callaway then this would potentially mean even the pro's get a non perfect ball every now and then, and they all seem to score just fine.

Does it mean I get more/less side spin on a very well struck ball? I can see on putts how not being 100% balanced matters, but as stated, on our public muni greens that probably won't matter much.

Also OP can you measure how off the centricity is? I can obviously see just by inspection it's not perfect, but I am curious as to how much. Maybe somebody here who doesn't mind doing some investigation can start cutting and measuring a bunch of premium multi layer balls or something. Have to remember, this is commercial manufacturing where hundreds of thousands of balls are made. It's not highly constrained military grade equipment..

I wasn't able to cut the ball exactly on the equator, but measuring the wide vs narrow side of the orange area is about 9.0mm vs 6.9mm. Hard to believe that much would fall within acceptable standards.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

I think the bigger question I have is how is QC even done? Once a layer goes over another in the process, the only way is to cut open say, 1% of a lot to inspect. If that 1% passes, the other 99% will pass by association, unless somehow the balls can be Xray'ed or something to see inside there's actually no way any multi layer ball could be sure to be perfect. I do not know how it's done, so this is just pure speculation on my end.

We'd have to find out what Callaway's allowable tolerances are on concentricity, otherwise the measurements we find are just numbers. Doubt you're going to get some sales rep weenie on the phone who knows this, let alone send you the contact of somebody who'd tell you. In my line of business, customers almost never get detail drawings of products, and if they do happen to buy them from us, we have an iron clad NDA in place so they can't tell other competitors about certain details, or try to reproduce what we make.

This has been around for years. Since there is only one pro that does this to their golf balls and the Usga actually tests this themselves you can go ahead and guess the actual validity of a salt water test.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

This has been around for years. Since there is only one pro that does this to their golf balls and the Usga actually tests this themselves you can go ahead and guess the actual validity of a salt water test.

I apologize for being obtuse, but I'm not following... What exactly has been around for years? The salt water test? Or that balls are unbalanced?

And what are you referring to when you say "the USGA actually tests this"? I wouldn't think they test whether the balls are well balanced. My guess is they only verify whether the diameter, weight and dimple pattern meets guidelines, but I could be wrong.

TM 2017 M2 15 deg
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

I apologize for being obtuse, but I'm not following... What exactly has been around for years? The salt water test? Or that balls are unbalanced?

And what are you referring to when you say "the USGA actually tests this"? I wouldn't think they test whether the balls are well balanced. My guess is they only verify whether the diameter, weight and dimple pattern meets guidelines, but I could be wrong.

Yes the salt water test. And yes you are incorrect on the usga testing criteria.

I was given a Check-Go device a few years ago like this one:

https://www.rockbott...c-check-go-pro/

It spins the balls at 10,000 RPM and you use a pen to mark a line on the equator where any heavy side would end up by spinning it. I use this line to line up putts as well as lining up the line on the tee just so I know where I'm pointing. Don't have any proof it makes any difference but I've had some balls that were so unbalanced they wouldn't even spin inside the device because they wobbled and flew off the cup that the ball sits in. It was almost like driving on tires that aren't balanced and the vibration you feel on the road. I figure if they are that unbalanced that they can't spin in the device correctly then I don't need to use them. It has to have some effect on shots and/or putts.

If these devises work and have been around forever than why does only one pro use it?

What do you guys know that no manufacturer or professional doesn't?

If these devises work and have been around forever than why does only one pro use it?

Some pros still don't believe in "new" ball flight laws.

Davis Love still played persimmon as late as 1996.

Not everyone is exactly an "early adopter".

THe test can be traced at least in the 50s when the balls were basically rubber bands. I think it would have caught on by now.

THe test can be traced at least in the 50s when the balls were basically rubber bands. I think it would have caught on by now.

The "new" ball flight laws have existed since forever. That should've caught on by now, too...

The "new" ball flight laws have existed since forever. That should've caught on by now, too...

New flight laws came with trackman. And which pros are you talking about?

New flight laws came with trackman. And which pros are you talking about?

The new flight laws are physics, which didn't change with the invention of trackman. Tiger, for one...