Junior memberships in Atlanta

Hey guys,

I know there have been a lot of threads on clubs in Atlanta, but I think I have a slightly different situation. I moved to Buckhead after graduating college about a year ago. I've been playing public courses but recently started exploring the private options. So far I've played Dunwoody CC and while I enjoyed it, it seems like a little bit of an older crowd. I'm under 25 and looking for a place that has good junior membership options and hopefully a membership base that includes at least some younger people. Druid Hills and Ansley are on my list, but I'm not sure what their junior membership options are like. I don't need a super clubby atmosphere, or a pool etc. my primary concern is how much I like the golf course and how much it costs. Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your budget for Initiation and dues. Its been a few years but I recall both Ansley and Druid Hills were around $30K for junior initiation.

The two places that get brought up often for those post graduate buckhead living players looking for a great place that won't break the bank are Berkeley Hills and Rivermont.

Budget is fairly flexible (I'm single and willing to cut out other things for golf lol) but I would like to stay under 500 per month, initiation fees are more flexible. DCC was $10k initiation plus $300ish per month I believe and that seems like it would be a hard deal to beat.

Pretty sure Ansley intitiation can be spread out over years until you are 40. And you can walk away without penalty if you move or just not able to afford it. Probably worth just reaching out to clubs directly to see what their membership deals are. Smart to get in now at a lower intitation especially if you can spread it out.

What's your budget for Initiation and dues. Its been a few years but I recall both Ansley and Druid Hills were around $30K for junior initiation.

The two places that get brought up often for those post graduate buckhead living players looking for a great place that won't break the bank are Berkeley Hills and Rivermont.

Budget is fairly flexible (I'm single and willing to cut out other things for golf lol) but I would like to stay under 500 per month, initiation fees are more flexible. DCC was $10k initiation plus $300ish per month I believe and that seems like it would be a hard deal to beat.

If that's what DCC is offering, I'm not sure I would pass up. 35-40+ is 70k to join plus a waiting list last I heard. Fantastic golf course. Don't know the dynamic of age group... would assume older crowd.

Age group, games, and quality points to Rivermont/Berkeley hills.

Check out Cherokee as well. I heard this past weekend that the junior memberships are really cheap relatively speaking. Might be worth a call. Athletic Club made a push for several years to get younger crowd in there, but I don't know what the latest is on that. If they can just get focused on the golf courses and getting those better and stop worrying about everything else, then it will be even better out there. There is just an obsession with trying to please everyone out there it seems.

Check out Cherokee as well. I heard this past weekend that the junior memberships are really cheap relatively speaking. Might be worth a call. Athletic Club made a push for several years to get younger crowd in there, but I don't know what the latest is on that. If they can just get focused on the golf courses and getting those better and stop worrying about everything else, then it will be even better out there. There is just an obsession with trying to please everyone out there it seems.

What were the numbers you heard on Cherokee? I am curious myself.

Another vote for Rivermont and Berkeley Hills. Both are nice courses (Rivermont is nicer) and have younger members.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up joining Rivermont. Just in case anyone wants to join, the initiation fee is going up I believe in August, to what I am not sure. But it seemed to me to have the youngest membership and there seems to be some good games going on during the week and weekend. Monthly dues are 185 and you can start playing right away which is a selling point to me.

If anyone in the area wants to play it, feel free to PM me and I will have you out there. It's a really fun and challenging course.

Chichi, I'm glad you joined. I may come back to the club. I am honestly getting tired of ClubCorp just for the fact that it's hard to get tee times and there isn't one as close to me as Rivermont (so I don't get to take advantage of the range). Congrats!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I ended up joining Rivermont. Just in case anyone wants to join, the initiation fee is going up I believe in August, to what I am not sure. But it seemed to me to have the youngest membership and there seems to be some good games going on during the week and weekend. Monthly dues are 185 and you can start playing right away which is a selling point to me.

If anyone in the area wants to play it, feel free to PM me and I will have you out there. It's a really fun and challenging course.

Congrats! Great course!

FYI, the membership initiation is always "going up soon". Just a gimmick by most clubs. They will always cut a deal to get new blood.

• 6 months later...