Yeah I know it's early...2018 US Open @ Shinnecock Hills

vaca22

Had the good fortune of visiting a client down in Patchogue NY a few years ago, and realized it wasn't all that far from Shinnecock Hills. I decided to take a drive, and the GPS took me straight down Tuckahoe Rd, right past the glorious clubhouse. It got me all excited because the last time a US Open was close enough to me was 2009 at Bethpage (I'm in central CT).

I know 2004 was a disaster, so I can only assume the USGA will pull all stops to make sure this place is in immaculate condition, no matter what the weather is.

For those that were there in 2004, how was the experience?

It doesn't seem like there's a lot of room for parking, but maybe there will be shuttle buses moving people back and forth.

From what I remember, the clubhouse is at the top of the hill and everything funnels downward. I wasn't able to get a truly good sense of the layout just from my slow drive-by down Tuckahoe Rd, but the place looked absolutely incredible.

Any thoughts or suggestions about going in 2018 would be greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for this for many, many years.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the good fortune of visiting a client down in Patchogue NY a few years ago, and realized it wasn't all that far from Shinnecock Hills. I decided to take a drive, and the GPS took me straight down Tuckahoe Rd, right past the glorious clubhouse. It got me all excited because the last time a US Open was close enough to me was 2009 at Bethpage (I'm in central CT).

I know 2004 was a disaster, so I can only assume the USGA will pull all stops to make sure this place is in immaculate condition, no matter what the weather is.

It doesn't seem like there's a lot of room for parking, but maybe there will be shuttle buses moving people back and forth.

From what I remember, the clubhouse is at the top of the hill and everything funnels downward. I wasn't able to get a truly good sense of the layout just from my slow drive-by down Tuckahoe Rd, but the place looked absolutely incredible.

Any thoughts or suggestions about going in 2018 would be greatly appreciated. I've been waiting for this for many, many years.

Book your hotel early (now?) if you'd like to be close to the public parking. They bus you from some airport out to course. From hotel in Nassua (sp?) it seemed like one hour to parking, then at least 45 minutes to course.

Umm, it was a fun course to see. Lack of trees makes for good viewing.

may as well.... Go Phil!

Phil finished second at Shinnecock in 2018. I speak in past tense because I've already watched this movie like a dozen times.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

may as well.... Go Phil!

Phil finished second at Shinnecock in 2018. I speak in past tense because I've already watched this movie like a dozen times.

So true. But it's a movie we all keep watching hoping for an alternate ending. It's going to come. I've got a good feeling about this.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Rumored that Cory Pavin will be in the field and will be playing some weird looking irons from Cleveland Golf. On another note, the USGA, after setting up the course, will look back at Whistling Straights and in hind sight, that course will look over grown in comparison. Fairway stimpmeter readings are being pegged at 15, same as the greens, so we may see some players just use the putter from the tees. All in all, it most likely will be in military terms - FUBAR

I went in '04. I loved the course; it is probably my favorite that I've visited along with Merion. We took the train out there from Penn Station, and it was great. The Long Island Rail Road had actually created what appeared to be a temporary station immediately adjacent to the property, so you basically hopped off the train and got right into line to enter the grounds.

Played there 2 weeks ago. What a course. They could play the US Open there right now if they want to. It's ready. If the wind is blowing like it was when I played, no one will sniff par.

From talking to some of the employees of the course, it sounds like the train will be the best option for getting there for the Open. Train stop still be right by the course, with shuttles.

• 10 months later...

There are a few differences vs. 2004 event.

The LIRR train does stop literally on the course border. It is a great way to travel and avoid most of the traffic.

Parking is in Westampton the next town west of Southampton.

Volunteer lodging is not available. Everyone is on their own. Prices are not cheap but doable. LI lodging is limited as this is the early summer.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Book your hotel early (now?) if you'd like to be close to the public parking. They bus you from some airport out to course. From hotel in Nassua (sp?) it seemed like one hour to parking, then at least 45 minutes to course.

Umm, it was a fun course to see. Lack of trees makes for good viewing.

If you can, things are booking up super quick. The open combined with the weekenders starting that time of year are gonna make it slim picking or super expensive.

I would def utilize the Long Island Railroad if you are staying somewhere close enough to a line that can get to Shinny. I'm sure they will be running a ton of trains that week specifically for the event. The infrastructure that Far East these days is a disaster anyways, and like others have said it's gonna be a 45 min shuttle easily from Westhampton, plus you'll have to drive there. Some of my friends that live inWesthampton, Hampton Bays, and even Manorville have put their houses up for rent that weekend and booked up instantly for ridiculous prices.

may as well.... Go Phil!

Too early for talk of Phil. My Masters Challenge continues for the US OPEN. If Phil wins, I will write the name PHIL on my inner thigh with a sharpie and post the pic here.

Like others have said Take the LIRR -hopefully no issues. Cheapest hotels will be near MacArthur airport about 40 minutes away by car. Southshore train will depend on schedule. Parking at Gabreski airfield is a 20-30 min or so bus ride to the course. As far as watching. 17 par 3 and 18 tee box right behind it. !5 is great to watch approach shots from fairway...if they're short they roll back down the hill -16 tee is right there too. I doubt they'll screw up the setup again.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

may as well.... Go Phil!

Too early for talk of Phil. My Masters Challenge continues for the US OPEN. If Phil wins, I will write the name PHIL on my inner thigh with a sharpie and post the pic here.

Thank God we won't have to see your thigh!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I'm in CT and have taken both ferries from New London to Orient Point and from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson, so thankfully I won't be having to deal with hotels and things like that. The drive from either place appears to be about an hour to the course which is nice.

It looks like parking and shuttles will be available from Gabreski Airport and take about 25 minutes to get to the grounds.

As Southampton residents and readers of Geoff Shackelford's blog know, they just had a major fire at the National Golf Links of America (next door to Shinny). This is a very big deal for several reasons.

One; the entire NGLA clubhouse is an historic icon. Anybody who has ever been there will never forget it.

Two; it was C.B. MacDonald's home course and it is filled with priceless, one-of-a-kind pieces of golfing art and memorabilia.

Three; we are 56 days away from the Open at Shinnecock Hills, wherein the National was, or perhaps still will be, a kind of a second headquarters for the Open. It would surely have been the biggest, busiest week at NGLA since they hosted the Walker Cup.

Let's hope and pray that the damage was minor.

Link to Geoff Shackelford's blog post.

How many putts did Phil and Goosen have in the final round? Seemed like they made everything.

Almost everything. Phil would probably like to have another shot at that putt for par back on 17.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

I attended Thursday and Friday rounds of both the 1995 and 2004 tournaments. And plan to attend at least one round this year. In 1996 I stayed at a home just down the road in Watermill so it was a short bus ride. In 2004 my buddy had the primo tickets that included parking across the street at Southampton College. Dont know the arrangements yet for this year.

I remember being on the course in 2004 at 7am on Thursday and walking across a fairway and commenting how the course was rock hard, almost like a parking lot. It got worse from there.

I also remember watching shots from the left side on the 16th fairway when all of a sudden a tee shot from the 8th tee came our way and stopped right next to us in the fescue. Normal tee shot on 8 was a layup to about 150 and where we were standing was inside 100 yards to the hole. An unknown pro came our way and we pointed to his ball. He said thanks. The unknown's bag let us know who it was. A guy named Bubba Watson. We were chatting when all of a sudden this Bubba guy swung just a few yards from where we were standing. I remember apologizing to him but he was really nice about it and went on his merry way.

I also remember my buddy yacking in fluent Spanish with Angel Cabrera as he was finishing his first round on Friday morning. And I remember a fog delay that restarted with limited visibility at the 13th tee. David Toms turned to the USGA official and whined about how he wasn't comfortable hitting when he couldnt see the ball come down. The USGA guy told him he could wait if he wanted to live with a slow play penalty. Toms whined some more and then teed it up.

I dont remember much from the 1995 tournament. I remember talking a bit with a pro who grew up in my hometown. And I remember seeing this young kid named Tiger Woods pull a tee shot on the par 5 5th hole and then seeing him injure his wrist on the second shot.

One of my favorite US Open venues...

Hope the wind blows.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20