Mini-Tour Question

Outdors21

Not a chance. Have to be a +3 or 4 to make the cut or qualify for state opens most of the time. Now if you want to talk about making money that's a different story.

I think most low handicappers have a shot at qualifying for there State Open or Am, you got think a couple over or even makes it and they could out there shoot a great round for themselves. A player in Michigan Am came in 2nd in the stroke play keeps a cap of around scratch to +1.

I think a scratch could career it for two days and make a cut on a mini tour, but probably couldn't make a living out there.

Give it up. The average scratch golfer from Michigan or "up North", or anywhere has ZERO comprehension of how good a tour player actually is...

What do you have against the greatest state in Golf.

I was not talking about State Am. Also "low handicap" means what? 1-5? No chance in qualifying for a good state open, California or Colorado immediately come to mind since I've tried to qualify myself.

Let's look at differentials for last years Colorado Open, what it took to get the last spot in in the qualifier:

+0.3

+2.1 into a playoff

+3.4 into a playoff

+4.4 into a playoff

California Open, This year:

+1.9

+3.3

Last year:

+4.7

+3.4

+0.7

+1.3

+2.5

+5

That's just to advance into the event. In a tournament environment/pressure.

Want to make the cut in last year's Long Beach Open? (which means getting your entry fee back at least):

+2.3

+2.6

4 under makes the cut.

Obviously no 0 handicap is having success on mini tours. Because remember the way the USGA does handicap it is a measure of your potential not your true ability. Meaning you are not as good as your handicap.

Want to feel like you really suck? Look up some of the true mini tours, deamchasers, gstour. A 0 would simply be donating his money, never even sniffing cashing the lowest check.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a chance. Have to be a +3 or 4 to make the cut or qualify for state opens most of the time. Now if you want to talk about making money that's a different story.

I think most low handicappers have a shot at qualifying for there State Open or Am, you got think a couple over or even makes it and they could out there shoot a great round for themselves. A player in Michigan Am came in 2nd in the stroke play keeps a cap of around scratch to +1.

I think a scratch could career it for two days and make a cut on a mini tour, but probably couldn't make a living out there.

Give it up. The average scratch golfer from Michigan or "up North", or anywhere has ZERO comprehension of how good a tour player actually is...

Ummm, sorry, your neighbor across the lake is the greatest state of golf.

PGA's at Whistling Straits, this year's US Open, a couple US Womens Opens the last few years, the 2020 Ryder Cup. Michigan can't hold Wisconsin's socks. LOL.

PGA's at Whistling Straits, this year's US Open, a couple US Womens Opens the last few years, the 2020 Ryder Cup. Michigan can't hold Wisconsin's socks. LOL.

PGA Championship 08, 79, 72, 55, 53, 47

US Open 96, 85, 61, 51, 37, 24

Ryder Cup 04

Western Open 61, 60, 58, 57, 30, 22, 11, 04,

US Womens Open, 94, 89, 58

Golf Digest Top 100 Courses

17 Oakland Hills South

68 Arcadia Bluffs

Golf Digest Top 100 Public Courses

13 Arcadia Bluffs

53 Tullymore

72 Bay Harbor

78 Grand Traverse

First Masters Champion was from Michigan, Walter Hagen was from MI, Alex Ross (Donald brother) played out of MI

Driver: Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5* ; Accura MV85x PINK 1 of 1

3 wood: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72X

Hybrid: PXG Gen1 19* (set 18*) Hzardus Handcrafted Black 100x (Not getting alot of use)

Irons: PXG Gen1 0311 4-7 iron; Aldila RIP Phenom Hybrid 100 Tour X (Lofts; 17.5*, 21*, 25*, 29*)

NIKE Vapor Pro Combo 6, 8, 9, PW; Aldila VS Proto 100x (Lofts; 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*)

Wedges: Scratch 53* (bent 51*); TT DG S300 , Callaway MD4 Raw 54*, 58*; TT DG S300

Custom Wedge 63* (made buddy made it); KBS Tour Stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB #5; 35 inches; Super Stroke GP Tour

I was +4 when I tried to make enough gas money to get from Brandon to Orlando, and I freaking STARVED. I figured I needed at least two more index points to even compete.

A guy named Pete Jordan (had been on/off the tour) shot 63 in a little one-dayer that should have been 55 if he could have putted - I kept his card that day. I asked him if after the round if I had ANY shot and he didn't even hesitate: No.

That night I finished my law school applications.

Total DB move - quoting your own post, but I had to correct myself. It was Pete Morgan, not Pete Jordan.

It is the greatest state in golf! But also, nobody living there has the understanding of just how good an actual tour player is...

Maybe because we no longer to get see the best in the world play every year in Michigan. But we still have a good understanding of how good it takes to be a tour player

Not really unless they have spent a significant amount of time in one if the golf meccas where tour players congregate.

PGA Championship 08, 79, 72, 55, 53, 47

US Open 96, 85, 61, 51, 37, 24

Ryder Cup 04

Western Open 61, 60, 58, 57, 30, 22, 11, 04,

US Womens Open, 94, 89, 58

Golf Digest Top 100 Courses

17 Oakland Hills South

68 Arcadia Bluffs

13 Arcadia Bluffs

53 Tullymore

72 Bay Harbor

78 Grand Traverse

First Masters Champion was from Michigan, Walter Hagen was from MI, Alex Ross (Donald brother) played out of MI

Wisconsin:

PGA Championship 15 10 04 1933

U.S. Open 17

U.S. Womens Open 12 1998

Ryder Cup 2020

Golf Digest Top 100 US Courses

22 Whistling Straits (Straits)

44 Erin Hills

71 Milwaukee C.C.

92 Blackwolf Run (River)

4 Whistling Straits (Straits)

9 Erin Hills

15 Blackwolf Run (River)

34 SentryWorld

45 Whistling Straits (Irish)

59 Lawsonia (Links)

60 Blackwolf Run (Meadow Valleys)

69 Troy Burn

84 The Bull

But I will call it a tie

Handicap means squat if they can't play within the ropes! I used to play with a local mini tour player who was a scratch, he would easily shoot par when we played together but struggled FIERCE in events. Another golf buddy is a +1 hdcp and won his state mid-am last year.

GBB 9* Fubuki Alpha 70x/RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Handicap means squat if they can't play within the ropes! I used to play with a local mini tour player who was a scratch, he would easily shoot par when we played together but struggled FIERCE in events. Another golf buddy is a +1 hdcp and won his state mid-am last year.

Wow - which state? +1 would have to career in the states I've lived in for that...maybe I need to move

Wow - which state? +1 would have to career in the states I've lived in for that...maybe I need to move

I will just say it's a New England state. I follow the big am events in MA and the guy's winning are usually +2-3hdcp ish, no real +5-6 HDCP's on the board. Maybe it's our weather and shorter season so people can't practice as much.

About 8-9 years ago I was at TPC Boston, tons of guys in low-mid single digits and one +Hdcp, the kid was a +6! Peter Uhlein. I was shocked he was that good at 17-18yrs old.

GBB 9* Fubuki Alpha 70x/RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

If it means anything, I played the mini tours (Dakotas Tour, Dreamchasers, and several state opens, etc.) last year. I was +4.3 when I turned pro in September 2015, and averaged 69.7 on the minis last year. I only netted $1700

<br />2017 M2 10.5 HZRDUS Black<br />2017 M2 HL HZRDUS Black<br /> 910h Tour AD-DI 85<br />P750 4-PW KBS C-Taper<br />Vokey SM-6<br />Edel E-2 Torque Balance<br />

My buddy shot 65-66 last week on the same course prior to the Senior Open qualifier. Shot 73 in the qualifier, left pissed off. It's NOT what you shoot at home, in practice rounds, or what your HOME course handicap is, it's what you do on tournament day!!........Take it from somebody that was there for a few years, if you aren't shooting 65-67 EVERY time out from the back tees (at home), don't even try the mini-tours. You'll leaving humbled, for sure. Oh, and rounds of 70-72 get RUN THE F OVER!!.......

Back in the 80s the saying was...."If you can't win your State Open by 10 shots....Don't try it,".

It's narrowed since then. Competition is much deeper.

But if you can't dominate amateur events....

Well, it's your (and your investors) money. You pays your money - you takes your chances.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I was +4 when I tried to make enough gas money to get from Brandon to Orlando, and I freaking STARVED. I figured I needed at least two more index points to even compete.

A guy named Pete Jordan (had been on/off the tour) shot 63 in a little one-dayer that should have been 55 if he could have putted - I kept his card that day. I asked him if after the round if I had ANY shot and he didn't even hesitate: No.

That night I finished my law school applications.

Total DB move - quoting your own post, but I had to correct myself. It was Pete Morgan, not Pete Jordan.

Good thing. Was getting ready to call you out. :)

TEE EXS 220 10.5*

TEE EXS 220 15*
TEE EXS Pro 19*/22*
W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
W/S PMP RAW 52/56/60
White Hot OG 7

Back in the 80s the saying was...."If you can't win your State Open by 10 shots....Don't try it,".

It's narrowed since then. Competition is much deeper.

But if you can't dominate amateur events....

Well, it's your (and your investors) money. You pays your money - you takes your chances.

Meh the people who win state opens now are basically all mini tour pros or top college players

Not even close, 6+ shots per day, which means 24+ over a four day event.

The guys saying +6 or more are right on and those are legit +6s who do it in tourneys. They might live to see another year ...

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665
816 Alpha 14* Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T-MB 3 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM6 Raw 50*F & 55*M, Low Bounce K 59*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback

If you ever get the opportunity to play with a legit tour pro it really hammers home the difference between them and a scratch player.

Played with Jamie Donaldson a couple of times (who apart from a couple of good years has struggled in the US) as we shared a home course for a while. It's a pretty humbling experience, although our course is easy by tour standards, he shot between -4 and -7 each time we played whilst honestly not trying all that hard. The scratch guy we played with meanwhile shot +1, +4 and E, whilst playing by his own admission his best golf. Meanwhile as a 17 year old 10 cap, i just enjoyed the experience!

A scratch golfer compared to a pro would be like comparing a 15 handicap is to a scratch golfer. Miles apart.

You mean ... like ... 15 strokes apart? ;-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Also depends on which mini tour ... most mini tours are on easier courses where you need to shoot super low. Not many mini tours are on courses where par is a good score and breaking 70 is a big accomplishment.

Dunno where you're playing, I spent my time on the mini tours playing courses rated 74.0 140 week in week out where guys would shoot -20 to win most weeks.

The guys are just really good players.

Below is last year's California Open at my home course: 7,157, 75.7/146

The top guys played very, very well, but the average scores were not that low.

The winner went to finals of q-school two years ago. Two of the top finishers Monday'd into the LA Open this year, and one of them also made this year's US Open. Michael Block, a club pro, has qualified for multiple PGA Tour events.

These guys ARE very, very good.

However, the cut being 148 should tell you something else: no matter how good you are, a course rated 75.7/146 is legit, and can play tough.

Mickelson's best score in 5(?) tries at that course is 69....

https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga16114/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

IMO, the handicap equation falls apart once you get into negative differentials.

I also don't understand why me being from Michigan means I don't understand how good these guys are. lol

Can you expand on this thought? I'd be interested to know exactly what you mean.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Also depends on which mini tour ... most mini tours are on easier courses where you need to shoot super low. Not many mini tours are on courses where par is a good score and breaking 70 is a big accomplishment.

Dunno where you're playing, I spent my time on the mini tours playing courses rated 74.0 140 week in week out where guys would shoot -20 to win most weeks.

The guys are just really good players.

Thrillhouse is right. Par is never a good score if you're trying to make money. Doesn't matter what course you are on someone is going to go low.