2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon......carry bag or push cart

Question for those of you with knowledge on Bandon. I am planning a trip this fall and will play 4-5 days and of course be walking. I am playing with a friend who is a caddy there and told him I would bring my cart bag and rent a push cart as this is how I play quite a bit. He laughed at me and told me I should carry my bag as there are steps to climb and other areas I would not be able to push a cart. So he carry's 2 bags a round and goes 36 most days so is this carry bag over push cart really the way to go or is it just the caddy in him talking....... I guess i should believe him as he has caddied there for a long time just wanted to get some others input before I buy a carry bag.

Thanks.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

have never played bandon ... that said, i started walking in earnest 2 months ago in b'ham ... use a push cart with a light cart bag ... humidity hit last week and i walked 9 with the full set and couldn't make it 18 ... bought a small carry bag and used a short set of 8 clubs ... discovered i could extend that to 10 with that particular bag and that it's a lot easier than pushing a pushcart ... someone advised me to play bethpage this summer with a carry instead of a pushcart ... my advice is to buy/borrow a carry bag before you go and see if you can play with a short set or if carrying a full set in the lightest bag is the best option ... it did not affect by back as much as i thought it would ... really didn't affect it at all ... it won't be hot there, so you don't need to carry a water bottle ... 3 sleeves of balls and a rangefinder and you should be fine ... experiment to see which one is easier ...

I played there two years ago and used my Clicgear without a problem...quite a number of people did the same thing...even if they had a caddy...

• Like 1

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

have played over 60 rounds at Bandon since 2001.

since my regular set is 9 or 10 clubs, I always carry. A buddy used the resort's 2 wheeled carts on several trips, & only had problems on Pacific between 13 green & 14 tee.

Bandon Dunes & Old Macdonald are easy to traverse with a push cart. Bandon Trails is a little tougher to walk, but still fine with a cart. (Unless the resort has changed its policy in the past two years, it used to be that players were encouraged to push their carts right over the greens.)

I would use whatever rig you use at home.

I guess it depends on what you are used to. I carry 90-100 rounds a year and I think carrying is physically easier than carting for me. When I go to Bandon I carry 36 a day. Many of the guys I play with use their Rickshaw carts as the usually push carts and they have no complaints. The thing about Bandon is you can push you cart across greens and tee boxes so this means you can shorten the push.

If you don't usually carry I wouldn't make a Bandon trip the place to start.

At Bandon I actually break it up normally. Mornings I carry and afternoons I use one of their rickshaws. Never brought my clicgear and have never had a problem with the rickshaws their. At Trails I would always carry though.

I might be weird and think I'm the opposite of a lot of people but carrying for me puts more strain on my legs and carts seem to put more stress on my back, I know a lot of people say the opposite.

• Like 1

I did 72 holes at Bandon in 2 days last October. I carried the first day (Old Mac and Bandon) and was BEAT! I used their carts which they encourage you to roll across the greens and it was much more pleasant on my back. The only two places where it was tough was between Pacific 13 green and 14 tee, where I had one of the caddies lift one end of the cart up those steps. The other was between 13 green and 14 tee at Trails where they gave us a quick tram ride and I held onto the cart rolling out the back. Next trip will be 100% cart.

Some context, I'm (relatively) young and in shape but I hate carrying as my bag is pretty heavy, I like to carry all 14 clubs and hate having sore shoulders by the back nine. Plus, when I use my push cart, I don't find it hard on my back or legs at all. Having said that...

I used my Clicgear and only really had a (relatively) tough time on one hole on Pac Dunes as others have mentioned. Wasn't that bad actually. Like walking up 4 flights of stairs. I would definitely bring my Clic next trip to Bandon.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I played Old Mac and The Preserve on Day 1, Trails and Pacific on Day 2, and Bandon and two spins around Shorty's on Day 3...walked them all!

I walk weekly with the full bag and I was absolutely gassed at the end of the trip. I only did it to say that I did it. Come next year I will go back to the Rickshaw.

You can always split the rounds between cart and carry.

At Bandon I actually break it up normally. Mornings I carry and afternoons I use one of their rickshaws. Never brought my clicgear and have never had a problem with the rickshaws their. At Trails I would always carry though.

I might be weird and think I'm the opposite of a lot of people but carrying for me puts more strain on my legs and carts seem to put more stress on my back, I know a lot of people say the opposite.

+1

Except I Riksha in the morning and carry a half set in an ultra-light bag for the afternoon. I have the same "wear pattern" as mallrat - the pull cart seems to bother my back more, and my legs get tired carrying all the time. But I also have the luxury of bringing lots of stuff, as I drive down from my home in PDX. I've been working on taking less stuff, but it's hard......

There's really only one spot on PD where the Riksha is slightly annoying. Trails has a lot more elevation changes, so carrying is slightly better. Last time out, I played Trails with the half bag and shot my best round for that course. If you're in decent shape, carrying for 36x4 days is doable. You'll definitely be tired at the end, but doable. Bring lots of socks and change them out every round (if not shoes as well) especially if it's wet.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I always recommend a Sunday bag (scratch sac or moonlite). I especially like it because you can put the bag right on the green when you putt. I only use a waterproof bag if it is going to rain.

But my better half uses her clicgear and likes to carry a ton of stuff. It's not a problem and preferable over rickshaws in my opinion.

I found out at Bandon you may abandon your lob and sand wedge anyway, I personally have a real light JONES GOLF stand bag. No problem for me. On the other hand my brother used a rickshaw a few times and loved them. Tell your caddie friend just to loop for you, he is used to carrying 2 bags a day. That is added benefits.

DM

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you are in very good shape, I would actually recommend getting a caddie and walking. Pull cart was not a good idea in my opinion and I didn't think carrying would be either unless you do it all the time and are in good shape. If / when I go again, I would definitely get a caddie. (I normally will push cart when I walk).

The first time I went to Bandon I carried 36 the first day. Shoulders and back definetly got sore. Then used the push cart for remainder. Carrying is easier but make your bag as light as possible. I'm in pretty good shape but I don't walk 36 a day for 3-4 days in a row very often. It's a work out. The push cart makes it less so in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a cart, either yours or theirs. I would hesitate to bring a cart bag however. The extra weight would add up over the days. Even Bandon Dunes has some hills that would be a pain to push or pull extra weight. Guess I'm saying, cart or carry, go as light as possible.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Get a lightweight carry bag and don't carry a lot of extra crap. Bring your cart and try both ways, personal preference matters. I haven't tried my Clicgear at Bandon but you see them out there regularly. I have used the ricksha. There are a couple spots on Pacific where you're going up and down narrow hilly paths or stairs where the cart is more trouble than it's worth. The risksha carts at the resort are still allowed to roll across greens, and do better than other carts on the wood chip paths. Any aftermarket cart will work, but the less weight digging into the wood chips the better to make pushing or pulling easier.

My personal preference is a good carry bag stripped down to be as light as possible. But if you're used to walking and pushing a cart, go with that. The obnoxious spots are pretty short.

I used to push a clicgear and grew tired of walking around things as well as going up hills being more difficult than carrying. I use a SM two 5 and carrying has become really easy.

With that said, I walk every round out unless the course prohibits it. Even then I walk the hole with the clubs on the cart.

If you normally ride, don't attempt to walk 36 without a caddy. I've carried/pushed 36 a few times and it's absolutely exhausting. I can't imagine someone who doesn't walk 18 all the time trying it.

• 2 weeks later...

By far the easiest set up is a Sunday bag such as the Ping Moonlite with a minimalist club set up. An 8 or 9 club set up with a few balls/tees, rangefinder and weather gear is very light. You can carry the Moonlite like a regular bag or wear it across the front of the chest. This is what I do. There is almost zero stress on the body as the entire set up is just a few pounds and is distributed across your chest.

As a general rule you can leave the 3wood home and most of your wedges except one club to get out of a nasty bunker.

Here is my set-up:

Driver, 4 wood, 7 wood, 5, 7, 9, GW, Putter.

Given that Bandon is real links golf, on real sand soil, with wind and very few forced carries, regardless of handicap level, there is almost zero need for a full set of clubs. I have made my last two trips exclusively with the minimal kit and have only had maybe 3 or 4 shots total where I wish had a different club.

If I had to add anything, for my next trip I might add a 3 iron.

The real key to walking at Bandon is to do some significant training. Log some miles weeks in advance and on consecutive days. I would also recommend walking on sidewalks and pavement as much as possible and do some hill work. Bandon is deceptive for a few reasons. The fairways are rock hard. The courses have only a few real climbs but nearly every hole as a series of up and down slopes and many have perched greens. Also there is climbing in and out of bunkers. All of this can be accentuated with the wind. Each course in isolation is a nice walk and for somebody that walks a round or two a week, can negotiate each course rather easily. The issue with "walking at Bandon" is cumulative in nature, particularly if you are doing 36 in consecutive or multiple days.

I'm playing there in a few weeks as a single to get paired for one day. No one here uses the caddies? I thought caddies were the norm there.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I'm playing there in a few weeks as a single to get paired for one day. No one here uses the caddies? I thought caddies were the norm there.

My experience is it's probably 50/50, caddie/non-caddie. You certainly don't need a caddie. You can get most of the info you need from the yardage books and what is right in front of you. Not a lot of blind shots at Bandon.

The biggest gain (other than not having to carry your bag) is their green reading and advice for players who haven't been on a links course.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all who replied.....I thought I would update with how things worked out. I played 5 out of 6 days and just carried my clubs. Really was no big deal the only day I felt a little sore was after the Trails. We just played one round a day as I was playing with my friend who works there as a caddy and could only get out mid mornings and would of run out of light if trying to go 36. If anyone is interested my caddy bro is named Scotty Philips and has been looping at Bandon for 10+ years and is a great dude so ask for him........

It actually was great walking with sticks on my back it brought back some great memories of how things use to be. I mix it up now a days but I have had a push cart for the past 13 years. I almost decided to get rid of the push cart and just carry but I like my Traverse so much I will keep my Clic Gear.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

Played 72 holes over three days and used a caddy for every round. Despite what people say these courses are not out in front of you. Putting the ball where you can approach greens is vital to shoot a good score. Shot two over on PD and there’s no way I️ could have done that blind.

It’s a little late now as you’ve already played but I️ would go caddy in the AM and then walk it in the afternoon just so you’re familiar.

Played 72 holes over three days and used a caddy for every round. Despite what people say these courses are not out in front of you. Putting the ball where you can approach greens is vital to shoot a good score. Shot two over on PD and there’s no way I️ could have done that blind.

It’s a little late now as you’ve already played but I️ would go caddy in the AM and then walk it in the afternoon just so you’re familiar.

If you got the scratch and want to score it's hard to argue against a caddie.

Anyone who wants a caddie recommendation PM me. I've gotten to know a few of them over the last year or two.

• 3 years later...

I have not played Brandon courses but played multiple days on courses that are just as difficult and walked using my push cart.  I can appreciate your buddies rib too, as he regularly carries two bags, etc.

However, I wouldn't suggest basing your decisions on what he does, especially if you are not comfortable doing what he does.  As well, I am pretty sure a good deal of people playing those courses are not carrying their own bag.  They either use a caddy or a push cart. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x