Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

First speed and weight session yesterday. Really think it's good. Simple and effective, especially the gym work.

Curious, most speed trainer systems use a very light club (shaft only) for fast swinging reps supposedly trains the fast twitch fibers. This does not, is there a reason it doesn't?? Thanks

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Bought the programme yesterday and I have to say initial reaction is very positive. It's clear that this stuff is produced out of a passion and not just some sllckly put together hype designed to make money. The Nutrition and sleep section reflects the best of current thinking, the speed drills remind me of the speedstick programme, tried and tested. The mobility and warmup also look very good and of general health benefit as well for older folks.

I have some health issues right now which prevent me from starting, but am definitely going to give the Warmup and speedsections a serious go when I'm recovered. I already do yoga 3 times a week and have a wonderful strength training programme in place so they're both more or less redundant for me. I'm 69 and starting from a low 90's swingspeed base ( hardly dare to admit that here ...) so will give some feedback along the way.

Well done Rob ! this stuff is seriously underpriced in my view.

Thanks David, I appreciate it. Keep us posted.

Rob.

First speed and weight session yesterday. Really think it's good. Simple and effective, especially the gym work.

Curious, most speed trainer systems use a very light club (shaft only) for fast swinging reps supposedly trains the fast twitch fibers. This does not, is there a reason it doesn't?? Thanks

Thanks Jason, glad you're liking it. There are actually a few reasons why I decided against the overload/underload idea.

1. Swinging just your average driver shaft is a little too light and can cause your sequencing to get out of whack and it can cause you to get too handsy.

2. Underload swinging is actually more dangerous than overload swinging. The higher the velocity of the movement, the higher the risk of injury... especially for the average, untrained golfer. When swinging just a shaft, there is very little resistance, therefore, the speed will be great but all that speed requires your body to decelerate it. For the average, untrained golfer, this can be dangerous. It’s like a car, the faster it goes, the better the brakes need to be to slow it down or else it crashes. Most golfer’s brakes aren’t up for the job, at least not starting out.

3. The "intent" to swing fast is the single most important aspect, not the weight. You can swing a feather weight shaft or an axe but unless you're doing so with maximum "intent", you're missing the boat and you're not going to recruit fast-twitch muscle fibers.

4. I wanted to keep this program simple, consistent and affordable. Either I'd have to come out with my own, precisely weighted overload/underload clubs and charge $200 or I'd have to expect everyone make their own, precisely weighted clubs and it would just get too messy and inconsistent. With the soft tissue and mobility work, the dynamic med-ball work, the strength training and the maximum intent swing-speed drills in this program, you're covering all aspects and doing so in a very safe manner... which is the most important thing, bar none.

Make sense? Hope that helps!

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason, glad you're liking it. There are actually a few reasons why I decided against the overload/underload idea.

1. Swinging just your average driver shaft is a little too light and can cause your sequencing to get out of whack and it can cause you to get too handsy.

2. Underload swinging is actually more dangerous than overload swinging. The higher the velocity of the movement, the higher the risk of injury... especially for the average, untrained golfer. When swinging just a shaft, there is very little resistance, therefore, the speed will be great but all that speed requires your body to decelerate it. For the average, untrained golfer, this can be dangerous. It’s like a car, the faster it goes, the better the brakes need to be to slow it down or else it crashes. Most golfer’s brakes aren’t up for the job, at least not starting out.

3. The "intent" to swing fast is the single most important aspect, not the weight. You can swing a feather weight shaft or an axe but unless you're doing so with maximum "intent", you're missing the boat and you're not going to recruit fast-twitch muscle fibers.

4. I wanted to keep this program simple, consistent and affordable. Either I'd have to come out with my own, precisely weighted overload/underload clubs and charge $200 or I'd have to expect everyone make their own, precisely weighted clubs and it would just get too messy and inconsistent. With the soft tissue and mobility work, the dynamic med-ball work, the strength training and the maximum intent swing-speed drills in this program, you're covering all aspects and doing so in a very safe manner... which is the most important thing, bar none.

Make sense? Hope that helps!

Rob.

Thanks!!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Yes, they can definitely be helpful. I like the idea of heavier clubs more than lighter clubs, for most people, although they both have their place.

What can be really beneficial about swinging heavy clubs is they can help improve the efficiency of your golf swing through kinesthetic awareness.

Using Baseball as an example; take a pitcher with a long, flailing, inefficient arm-action and put a heavy ball in his hand and watch how quickly his arm-action NATURALLY shortens and optimizes itself.

The heavier the ball (within reason) the more naturally your mind and body are going to subconsciously figure out a way to deliver that ball efficiently, in order to prevent stress.

Same thing applies to Golf. Try swinging a heavy metal rod and see what your swing looks like compared to a standard weight club. I guarantee you're not going to lift with the arms, cup your wrist and come across the line at the top.

I'm telling you man, we don't give our minds and bodies nearly enough credit.

We have the ability to correct swing-flaws rather quickly by just using overloaded implements, externally focusing and having “intent" but instead, we’re all so gung-ho to instantly break things down, hyper-analyze, internalize, overthink and copy everyone we have next to nothing in common with.

It can work but it requires a hell of a lot of flawless reps and time. Conversely, it can cause paralysis by analysis (Tiger) if you're not extremely careful. I know because it happened to me in my Baseball career.

I get it. People like the science, the technology, the excitement of peeling back a layer of the onion in order to get closer to “the secret”… but it can be so damaging if you're not careful.

One last thing; overweight clubs can improve dynamic flexibility and range of motion in people with flexibility limitations, depending on the weight.

Cheers.

Rob.

The one thing I will add is: it's ok to go slow on this at first. The regimen is pretty comprehensive and if you're like me, starting from no gym work, poor posture, poor range of motion, go slow and focus on the mobility exercises for a while. The workout gets pretty intensive - gets heart rate up much more than it seems if you really go at it. I actually just took a few days off to rest. But back at it yesterday - phase 2. I frankly can't imagine outgrowing this as a process. Glad some of you are trying it and enjoy hearing how you're doing..

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

When you say to add 5 lbs to the weight if you complete all reps, is that per side or overall? Thanks

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I just got back from the gym. 2 1/2 hrs, soup to nuts. The thing I like the most is this regimen makes me feel like I am an athlete again. It kicks my butt, but I like that. I take an old fw wood into this gym for the speed swinging stuff. Every time, someone asks me what I'm doing... it really surprises them, like maybe there's a driving range in the gym they don't know about. I had this one younger guy (25?) tell me he knew he needed to take up golf 'because that's all you can do when you get old. As we know from Caddyshack, this is why guppies eat their young.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Haha. I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the damn quote. And failed.

Thank god i can fall back on the 'I'm old' excuse ... so get a haircut and shave that beard before I call your mother.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Haha. I just spent 15 minutes trying to find the damn quote. And failed.

Thank god i can fall back on the 'I'm old' excuse ... so get a haircut and shave that beard before I call your mother.

You must've been something before electricity...lol

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I've had a first go-around with the swing speed program (foam rolling, mobility training, swing speed drills). Even if my swing speed doesn't increase, the foam rolling and mobility training seem very beneficial and I'm hoping to do them often, even on off days. The strength training portion looks good too but I'm going to stick to my own routine that is easier for me to do in my home with dumbbells. I may add the grip strengthening and wrist curls to my routine because they look like they'd help. My hope is to do the swing training 3 times per week and my own weight lifting routine 3 times per week.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

looks awesome , where can I purchase this , i just joined this forum and must admit Im loving it , greetings from Ireland folks

Welcome. The link is in the first post.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Bought the program and plan to start the mobility and swing speed work tomorrow.

Looks good so far although I wish it was a little easier to jump to the different videos. My recommendation would be to put a condensed version of the programs with the video links to them in a simple web app that you could have a secure login to (check fitloop.co for an idea). This way it is easier to access on the phone for workouts.

Bought the program and plan to start the mobility and swing speed work tomorrow.

Looks good so far although I wish it was a little easier to jump to the different videos. My recommendation would be to put a condensed version of the programs with the video links to them in a simple web app that you could have a secure login to (check fitloop.co for an idea). This way it is easier to access on the phone for workouts.

Hmmm, I'll look into this.

Right now I simply provide links in PDF manuals that take you straight to Vimeo for the videos.

I posted a couple of months ago about the impact of starting a stretching workout regimen. Since then I began a more thorough workout regimen "Drive 400" (puredistancegolf.com/drive400) designed by a guy named Rob Harrand who I had come across on another golf-addict site. Rob was a pro pitcher and he made his program known on that site just as I was in the mood to do something to improve my body for golf - or at age 65, at least slow its decline. I have not been active in a gym for decades and it was showing. The price was easy to take a chance on (under $30) so I did.

Fast forward 8 weeks or so to the bottom line. I am hitting the ball the best of my life. I have greater range of motion, am stronger and hit the ball farther and not just longer, but also more consistently. And I am just getting started. My back is stronger (I started carrying my bag again! Yahoo!). I just shot my career best (75 -- +3)

Now, is this all from Rob's program? Who knows? I mean, my swing is getting better and better - those seminal lessons from Monte are still paying dividends. But what I think is my body is now better able to support a better swing.

The program has 3 core parts. Mobility exercises, speed swing exercises and strength exercises. The way I do them, the mobility exercises take the most time (1 hr!); the swing stuff about 15 minutes and the strength stuff about 45. So it's a 2 hour workout the way I do it. I do the mobility about 5x/week and the whole thing 3x/week. Embedded in it are a lot of stuff that improves balance. Your whole body - every joint and muscle group involved in the swing - gets a lot of attention in the mobility part. By the time I am done, I am thrashed! All I can say is, I can't wait to see what the impact is in a year. I'm still in the 'old, out of shape' part of the program - it also has more advanced stuff for people who are ready for it.

The reason I am posting this is I really respect young entrepreneurs who are trying to take a passion to market. (I have no financial interest in the program, just respect for Rob). If you've got the time and motivation, I totally recommend this to you. Especially you young guys without a lot of cash, this is a great program for you. If I could reverse time, I would have started and sustained this from my teens onward.

Thanks! Bought it yesterday, watched a few videos and just finished with some foam roller and warmups. REALLY like it.

This is my 50th trip around the big bulb, and this is a manageable program. (I haven't done the speed drills yet. LOL!)

looks awesome , where can I purchase this , i just joined this forum and must admit Im loving it , greetings from Ireland folks

Here's a direct link - puredistancegolf.com/drive400

Rob, just bought this yesterday. Very straightforward, yet I know I'm getting a good stretch. Getting ready for my first set of speed drills.

I'm not going to give anything away, but I just need to know. In the Flexor/extensor video at 0:14. Is your thumb double-jointed or are you just that flexible?

I posted a couple of months ago about the impact of starting a stretching workout regimen. Since then I began a more thorough workout regimen "Drive 400" (puredistancegolf.com/drive400) designed by a guy named Rob Harrand who I had come across on another golf-addict site. Rob was a pro pitcher and he made his program known on that site just as I was in the mood to do something to improve my body for golf - or at age 65, at least slow its decline. I have not been active in a gym for decades and it was showing. The price was easy to take a chance on (under $30) so I did.

Fast forward 8 weeks or so to the bottom line. I am hitting the ball the best of my life. I have greater range of motion, am stronger and hit the ball farther and not just longer, but also more consistently. And I am just getting started. My back is stronger (I started carrying my bag again! Yahoo!). I just shot my career best (75 -- +3)

Now, is this all from Rob's program? Who knows? I mean, my swing is getting better and better - those seminal lessons from Monte are still paying dividends. But what I think is my body is now better able to support a better swing.

The program has 3 core parts. Mobility exercises, speed swing exercises and strength exercises. The way I do them, the mobility exercises take the most time (1 hr!); the swing stuff about 15 minutes and the strength stuff about 45. So it's a 2 hour workout the way I do it. I do the mobility about 5x/week and the whole thing 3x/week. Embedded in it are a lot of stuff that improves balance. Your whole body - every joint and muscle group involved in the swing - gets a lot of attention in the mobility part. By the time I am done, I am thrashed! All I can say is, I can't wait to see what the impact is in a year. I'm still in the 'old, out of shape' part of the program - it also has more advanced stuff for people who are ready for it.

The reason I am posting this is I really respect young entrepreneurs who are trying to take a passion to market. (I have no financial interest in the program, just respect for Rob). If you've got the time and motivation, I totally recommend this to you. Especially you young guys without a lot of cash, this is a great program for you. If I could reverse time, I would have started and sustained this from my teens onward.

Hi Sir

Where can I get this programme as Im very interested in buying it!!!

Gary

Hi Sir

Where can I get this programme as Im very interested in buying it!!!

Gary

Gary, the link is just one post above yours. I am guessing you wrote this after seeing my original post and hadn't yet seen the whole thread. Anyway, it's there...

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ya, there's a lot in there. I wanted to make it very comprehensive yet simple and flexible so that it's really up to you in terms of what you want to do and how much time you want/have to put in.

If you want to follow the entire program: "Swing-Prep" Warmup Routine (soft tissue work, mobilities, flexibility, etc), the Swing-Speed Drills and the Strength Training and Med-Ball Program, or if you just want to use the program for the Swing-Speed Drills or the Strength Training Program, there should be something for everyone. At least that was my goal.

I appreciate the support so far, guys. Hope you're enjoying it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rob.

Here's a direct link - puredistancegolf.com/drive400

Rob, just bought this yesterday. Very straightforward, yet I know I'm getting a good stretch. Getting ready for my first set of speed drills.

I'm not going to give anything away, but I just need to know. In the Flexor/extensor video at 0:14. Is your thumb double-jointed or are you just that flexible?

Hahaha, I'm getting older and a little more rigid these days but I was born with some pretty lax joints. So yes, it's just my natural flexibility, I'm not double jointed or anything.

Glad you're enjoying the program so far!