Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

How long are you guys doing the roller/mobility/warmup routine? I can't get it done in less than an hour. Maybe us old guys need to do this longer - I can't imagine doing 30 minutes.

Everyone will be slightly different but the foam rolling should only take approx. 20 min or you're probably overdoing it.

For example, it's much more beneficial to roll 2 or 3 times/day for 15 min than it is to roll once for 30 or 45 min.

Also, the more often you roll, the less time is needed to maintain. Starting out should take longer than it does in a month, for example.

For your first 2 or 3 mobility sessions, I recommend performing all the mobility exercises so you know exactly what areas need the most work. Take note of it and as you go forward, just choose the 8-10 mobilities that help you improve in those areas the most.

Like most things, the more you get familiar with the exercises, the better you'll become at identifying what gives you the best warmup... for you!

Rob.

Founder of Pure Distance Golf and the Drive 400 Swing-Speed Program. Swing Faster. Drive Further. Feel Better.

https://www.puredistancegolf.com

Rob, thx. Rolling multiple times at less time makes sense, but I am about 15-20 rolling currently. I don't see many mobility exercises I want to cut. I really like it that I have hit pretty much every major joint.

It's funny that you think of these as warmup. To me, they are pretty much core! But expanding my range of motion is a major goal for me.

Thx...

PS: while I think the mobility is probably most important for me, what I like the most are the strength. Love feeling like an athlete and my back is incredibly stronger already - to the point I can carry my bag again and not be sore at the end of 18. That's incredible to me. I hadn't carried for 5 years and I really prefer it to riding or pulling.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Two days and about an hour each time so far for the SMR and Mobility

I looked back at your posts and saw your flexibility is not an issue. I see these men and women at the gym with mind blowing flexibility and I am really envious. They are smart to stay at it. Also I look at some of Robs videos and think ... no way!

Me, I've never been flexible and after decades of never trying to improve it ... but it's better already. I have so much optimism from doing this - not just for golf. It just makes me feel like I'm an athlete.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Rob, thx. Rolling multiple times at less time makes sense, but I am about 15-20 rolling currently. I don't see many mobility exercises I want to cut. I really like it that I have hit pretty much every major joint.

It's funny that you think of these as warmup. To me, they are pretty much core! But expanding my range of motion is a major goal for me.

Thx...

PS: while I think the mobility is probably most important for me, what I like the most are the strength. Love feeling like an athlete and my back is incredibly stronger already - to the point I can carry my bag again and not be sore at the end of 18. That's incredible to me. I hadn't carried for 5 years and I really prefer it to riding or pulling.

That's awesome to hear. I'm impressed at how you've attacked the program, especially at your age. Super impressive. And yes, although speed and distance is the main focal point of the program, improving range of motion and strengthening your posterior chain will absolutely help to alleviate back issues. Ball striking should also improve based on improved mobility as well as limiting "thinking" about positions, body parts, mechanics, etc.

Glad you're doing well, man. Keep it up!

Founder of Pure Distance Golf and the Drive 400 Swing-Speed Program. Swing Faster. Drive Further. Feel Better.

Hey Rob. Just starting your program. I was surprised to see no jumping plyometics. Why is that? Is it OK to add a 45lb plate to pullups to get to the 6 reps? How do we pick the weight of the medicine ball right for us?

Hey man. I considered it but ultimately decided against it because power is plane specific and the golf swing is primarily a rotary/rotational power movement and that's why I programmed in the med-ball work instead. That's not to say you can't do some box jumps now and again if you feel it helps you.

Yes, add whatever weight is fairly challenging to complete that sixth rep (impressive by the way).

See where it says "load" - if you look underneath that it will say either 6 or 4 pounds for each med-ball exercise.

Rob.

Oh jeez, totally missed the med ball weight.

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
2 Ball Ten

V1X, CSX-LS, who knows?

You what? "went ahead and d/l'd"

Anyway, good info to have. Definitely send me an email and I will work with you to figure this out. And ya, haha, I used to be able to jump pretty damn high, not going to lie. Miss those days!

Sorry about that. d/l'd = downloaded. Do a lot of abbreviating in my line of work! Didn't even think about it.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

OK, im a former basketball player and have been golfing for about 20 years now. ( hmmmm DAMN I'm old )......i buy every golf club made and every shaft and every gimmick !!!! Haha, just look at my BST and u can see there is not much will skip out on......I do have a background in lifting but its been 20 years since i have been in the gym. When i was playing basketball, the only thing that interested me was vertical leap, i lifted heavy and focused mainly on strength. Boy that was dumb, it wasn't until i started doing plyometric and core work that i started to get maximum vertical jump. I hope the same is true for Golf Swing Speed......I have a trackman and this will be interesting to see if there is any improvement after 6 weeks and after 12 weeks......I just ordered the package today and will establish a baseline swing speed ( haha i have not used my trackman in months because it was too depressing )

I would love 5 mph more of usable swing speed and 10 mph would be ridiculous....

OK, im a former basketball player and have been golfing for about 20 years now. ( hmmmm DAMN I'm old )......i buy every golf club made and every shaft and every gimmick !!!! Haha, just look at my BST and u can see there is not much will skip out on......I do have a background in lifting but its been 20 years since i have been in the gym. When i was playing basketball, the only thing that interested me was vertical leap, i lifted heavy and focused mainly on strength. Boy that was dumb, it wasn't until i started doing plyometric and core work that i started to get maximum vertical jump. I hope the same is true for Golf Swing Speed......I have a trackman and this will be interesting to see if there is any improvement after 6 weeks and after 12 weeks......I just ordered the package today and will establish a baseline swing speed ( haha i have not used my trackman in months because it was too depressing )

I would love 5 mph more of usable swing speed and 10 mph would be ridiculous....

Haha, love the background story! What is your current swing-speed or how fast do you typically swing?

I think if you follow the program exactly and don't already swing 135-140 mph you should have absolutely no problem gaining 5-10 mph of swing-speed in 6-12 weeks. You haven't been in the gym in 20 years! You're a perfect candidate for this program.

Keep us posted!

Rob.

I have lower back problems that come and go. Broke L4 and L5 years ago. I am 44 but my body has become so tight that I feel 64. I did yoga a good bit last summer and that helped, but the forward fold bending put a strain on my back.

As a result, my handicap has gone from +0.5 index to -2. I am also at the age where I am starting to lose distance which in turn causes me to lose consistency due to overswinging. Do you think this program would help me and can I get it done in under a hour?

The rolling and mobility part really works on hips, back and arms range of motion. It definitely has helped my back (I'm 65). The weight stuff mainly is for core and as a result my back is much stronger but you probably have to be careful there. As to under an hour, you would have to break it down and do part of it one day, another part the next time - or just eliminate stuff. But I would think if you only did the rolling and mobility stuff you'd get real benefit. I did just that for more than a month...and I still just do that part pretty often.

But... what do I know? Rob will have better insight than me...

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Started the mobility work and foam rolling last tuesday and feel a lot better, I generally teake about 30 minutes to do both as I have lot of experience in foam rolling I dont over do it.

I played today and shot 33 points off 17 handicap , im only back playing a month after 11 years out

I felt very loose and agile , I cant wait to start the speed drills

I have lower back problems that come and go. Broke L4 and L5 years ago. I am 44 but my body has become so tight that I feel 64. I did yoga a good bit last summer and that helped, but the forward fold bending put a strain on my back. As a result, my handicap has gone from +0.5 index to -2. I am also at the age where I am starting to lose distance which in turn causes me to lose consistency due to overswinging. Do you think this program would help me and can I get it done in under a hour?

Hey man. Good question. Yes, I believe the soft-tissue, mobility and strength training (deadlifts, etc) would absolutely help you to feel and move better as well as strengthen your back (guys, this program can definitely help with nagging injuries as much as speed and distance). I also have no doubt you will add swing-speed and distance if you follow this program properly. However, you won't be able to get through the warmup, swing-speed and strength work in an hour. It's just not possible. The good news is that even if you only follow the "swing-prep" (soft tissue, mobility and muscle activation work) aspect of the program (forget the swing-speed and strength work), I'm very confident it will help you to feel much, much less stiff and inflexible. If you want, I can work with you to figure out a way to maximize the program based on your time constraints. Just shoot me an email. I'm here to help.

Rob.

The rolling and mobility part really works on hips, back and arms range of motion. It definitely has helped my back (I'm 65). The weight stuff mainly is for core and as a result my back is much stronger but you probably have to be careful there. As to under an hour, you would have to break it down and do part of it one day, another part the next time - or just eliminate stuff. But I would think if you only did the rolling and mobility stuff you'd get real benefit. I did just that for more than a month...and I still just do that part pretty often. But... what do I know? Rob will have better insight than me...

Pretty spot on.

What's interesting is that a lot of nagging lower back injuries are the result of weakness and instability, not tightness (although that is possible too).

For example, most people think Deadlifts are bad for the back but Deadlifting, when done with proper form, is one of the best things you can do for your back (and your entire body). In fact, a lot of people resolve their nagging lower back issues by strengthening it with Deadlifts. For me personally, back only hurts when I stop Deadlifting. When I Deadlift and strengthen and create stability, my back pain goes away.

The strength training part of the program covers the core for sure (stability work as well as dynamic, explosive med-ball work) but it covers much more than that, too. A large part of the strength program focuses on the lower body (great for stability and energy transfer), the core (as mentioned previously) as well as the chest, back, shoulders, forearms and wrists. Somewhat surprisingly, a lot of power in the swing comes from the upper extremity.

In fact, if you were to just follow the grip strengthening routine in this program, you would be surprised at how much faster you would swing the club. It's the last part of the whip.

Started the mobility work and foam rolling last tuesday and feel a lot better, I generally teake about 30 minutes to do both as I have lot of experience in foam rolling I dont over do it. I played today and shot 33 points off 17 handicap , im only back playing a month after 11 years out I felt very loose and agile , I cant wait to start the speed drills

Good stuff! It doesn't take very long for the soft tissue and mobility work to make a difference. Most people have so many years of wear and tear (knots, etc) on their body, it's pretty crazy what a few days of foam rolling can do.

When you say you shot 33 points off 17 handicap, what do you mean?

Started the mobility work and foam rolling last tuesday and feel a lot better, I generally teake about 30 minutes to do both as I have lot of experience in foam rolling I dont over do it. I played today and shot 33 points off 17 handicap , im only back playing a month after 11 years out I felt very loose and agile , I cant wait to start the speed drills

Good stuff! It doesn't take very long for the soft tissue and mobility work to make a difference. Most people have so many years of wear and tear (knots, etc) on their body, it's pretty crazy what a few days of foam rolling can do.

When you say you shot 33 points off 17 handicap, what do you mean?

Hey my friend , the competition was stableford and the standard scratch score is 39 points so I was not too far off playing to my handicap considering I blanked a par 5 and had a good few 3 putts which were silly.

Yes i agree with you with the knots and tears , I was very tight up around my shoulders and have found already im way looser , can only imagine another 3 weeks what i will be like

Gary

For example, most people think Deadlifts are bad for the back but Deadlifting, when done with proper form, is one of the best things you can do for your back (and your entire body). In fact, a lot of people resolve their nagging lower back issues by strengthening it with Deadlifts. For me personally, back only hurts when I stop Deadlifting. When I Deadlift and strengthen and create stability, my back pain goes away.

In fact, if you were to just follow the grip strengthening routine in this program, you would be surprised at how much faster you would swing the club. It's the last part of the whip.

I was pretty scared starting the deadlifts and squats as like most my back is, well, average at best and I had visions of serious injury. So I started slow after a month of only mobility work, and without a lot of weight and trying to get the form right.

To my amazement my back is feeling stronger and better. This has been my biggest single pleasant surprise.

As to the gripper, I bought one that wasn't very resistant - i can do it a million reps, so I stopped using it but maybe I will do it anyway. Rob what about doing a lot of reps? Good? Bad?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ya, there's a lot in there. I wanted to make it very comprehensive yet simple and flexible so that it's really up to you in terms of what you want to do and how much time you want/have to put in.

If you want to follow the entire program: "Swing-Prep" Warmup Routine (soft tissue work, mobilities, flexibility, etc), the Swing-Speed Drills and the Strength Training and Med-Ball Program, or if you just want to use the program for the Swing-Speed Drills or the Strength Training Program, there should be something for everyone. At least that was my goal.

I appreciate the support so far, guys. Hope you're enjoying it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rob.

Rob,

I posted a thread about staying sharp/improving while I'm away from the course/PF for a while (my son is headed back in for another cardiac surgery) and somebody mentioned this program as a potential option for me while I'm with him in C-ICU. What is your opinion on this? Is this a viable option for me )taking the limitations of cardiac ICU into consideration)???

Hi. I just read your post. Man... I'm really sorry. No one should have to go through what you're going through. You know, most people (definitely myself included) get annoyed by daily traffic, bills, a rainy day, etc and then you read a story like yours and you realize I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Man. I sincerely hope you and your family get through this and onto better and happier times. Seriously... all the best.

Regarding golf and occupying your time. Is there any area just outside of the hospital where you could swing a club? Is there a gym/rehab area in the hospital? If not, the program does come with something called "Swing-Prep" (I've mentioned it on here a few times) and what it is, is a soft tissue, mobility, flexibility and muscle activation routine that doesn't take up much space at all. All you need is a foam roller (the hospital should have one). It takes anywhere from 15-30 min and can be performed daily. It helps a lot with improving the way in which you move, it increases range of motion and flexibility and breaks down old scar tissue and adhesions. You'll definitely start to feel less tight and stiff and sore, on a daily basis. Honestly, Golf aside, it's just a good thing for any person to do. Also, it might be something you can use not only as a physical tool, but a research opportunity to occupy your mind, while going through what you're going through.

I also wrote a little about the importance of "shutting off the mind" and focusing on the "intent" during the swing, rather than internalizing and focusing on positions. I talk about subconscious movement and the mind-body connection in sports, etc, etc. I could talk about this for days and I'm happy to discuss if it helps take your mind off what you're going through...

Anyway, I do think you could benefit from the program, even in your confined space and I think there is some content in it that might be interesting for your to read and even research further.

If you ever want to chat, by all means, just shoot me an email.

All the best to you and your family.

Rob.

Thanks a bunch for your input. I think that I'll give it a go and see what I can make work in the various waiting rooms and ICU. If nothing else, I'm sure that it'll be a beneficial program for when I'm back home.

SIM2, Atmos Blue 6x | CB Pro F2, Atmos Blue 8x
P730 3-9, $-Taper 125 - Miura 1957 2-9, $-Taper 125
MG3 46/50/54/58 $-Taper 125/KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini - Cameron CT | TP5x | My WITB Thread

I was pretty scared starting the deadlifts and squats as like most my back is, well, average at best and I had visions of serious injury. So I started slow after a month of only mobility work, and without a lot of weight and trying to get the form right.

To my amazement my back is feeling stronger and better. This has been my biggest single pleasant surprise.

As to the gripper, I bought one that wasn't very resistant - i can do it a million reps, so I stopped using it but maybe I will do it anyway. Rob what about doing a lot of reps? Good? Bad?

I definitely recommend more resistance and less reps than light resistance and hundreds of reps but all the exact reps and sets are in the program.

Ya, there's a lot in there. I wanted to make it very comprehensive yet simple and flexible so that it's really up to you in terms of what you want to do and how much time you want/have to put in.

If you want to follow the entire program: "Swing-Prep" Warmup Routine (soft tissue work, mobilities, flexibility, etc), the Swing-Speed Drills and the Strength Training and Med-Ball Program, or if you just want to use the program for the Swing-Speed Drills or the Strength Training Program, there should be something for everyone. At least that was my goal.

I appreciate the support so far, guys. Hope you're enjoying it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rob.

Rob,

I posted a thread about staying sharp/improving while I'm away from the course/PF for a while (my son is headed back in for another cardiac surgery) and somebody mentioned this program as a potential option for me while I'm with him in C-ICU. What is your opinion on this? Is this a viable option for me )taking the limitations of cardiac ICU into consideration)???

Hi. I just read your post. Man... I'm really sorry. No one should have to go through what you're going through. You know, most people (definitely myself included) get annoyed by daily traffic, bills, a rainy day, etc and then you read a story like yours and you realize I have absolutely nothing to complain about. Man. I sincerely hope you and your family get through this and onto better and happier times. Seriously... all the best.

Regarding golf and occupying your time. Is there any area just outside of the hospital where you could swing a club? Is there a gym/rehab area in the hospital? If not, the program does come with something called "Swing-Prep" (I've mentioned it on here a few times) and what it is, is a soft tissue, mobility, flexibility and muscle activation routine that doesn't take up much space at all. All you need is a foam roller (the hospital should have one). It takes anywhere from 15-30 min and can be performed daily. It helps a lot with improving the way in which you move, it increases range of motion and flexibility and breaks down old scar tissue and adhesions. You'll definitely start to feel less tight and stiff and sore, on a daily basis. Honestly, Golf aside, it's just a good thing for any person to do. Also, it might be something you can use not only as a physical tool, but a research opportunity to occupy your mind, while going through what you're going through.

I also wrote a little about the importance of "shutting off the mind" and focusing on the "intent" during the swing, rather than internalizing and focusing on positions. I talk about subconscious movement and the mind-body connection in sports, etc, etc. I could talk about this for days and I'm happy to discuss if it helps take your mind off what you're going through...

Anyway, I do think you could benefit from the program, even in your confined space and I think there is some content in it that might be interesting for your to read and even research further.

If you ever want to chat, by all means, just shoot me an email.

All the best to you and your family.

Rob.

Thanks a bunch for your input. I think that I'll give it a go and see what I can make work in the various waiting rooms and ICU. If nothing else, I'm sure that it'll be a beneficial program for when I'm back home.

Sounds like a plan. All the best to you and your family.

Rob.

Ya, absolutely I can.

This can get pretty long and detailed but I’ll try to be somewhat succinct.

Essentially, you have it right, swinging with maximum “Intent” means to concern yourself with nothing other than swinging as fast as you possibly can.

Now, I’m sure most people’s initial reaction to reading that is: “that’s it, big deal”… and I don’t blame them. We are living in a society that is so incredibly analytical and consumed by information, we have trouble accepting anything that is simple as being effective. This is in stark contrast to how we as a society used to function, not too long ago.

For example, Baseball pitchers used to be taught to “step and throw”. Today, you have guys in full body sensor suites with reflective balls, 3-D motion-capture, 14 infrared cameras, 6 computers and 3 scientists trying to reverse engineer and teach what we have instinctively known how to do as human beings for thousands of years… throw an object at a target without thinking about it.

The golf swing is absolutely no different. When’s the last time you played an entire round of golf focusing intently on the ball without a single swing thought? Scary reality, isn’t it.

There’s no doubt about it, sports-science is fascinating and curious and amazing, but is it a great teaching tool? I’m not so sure. The more information we’re presented with, the more internalizing is required to process it.

The problems is, we don’t perform well when we’re in our heads. You hear it all the time, “he’s in his head”, yet this is exactly how we’re taught today and how we practice. Doesn’t make a lot of sense does it? Once you’re in, it’s tough to get back out (Tiger).

By focusing on “intent” and swinging as fast as possible, the goal is to a) limit the amount of time you have to internalize and consciously think about body parts and positions, therefore allowing for natural sequencing and movement and b) to train your nervous system and muscles to fire as fast as possible… something we simply cannot achieve when we are consciously thinking about positions and body parts. When we “think”, we move slower than what we are truly capable of. If you don’t believe me, try sprinting while consciously thinking about moving each arm and leg and see how fast you run. Then sprint with max “intent”… on autopilot. The results aren’t even close.

There is absolutely no difference between this and swinging a golf club, throwing a ball or jumping.

What’s kind of shocking is that you probably won’t even be able to swing without thinking about body parts and positions for the first little while. Most of us who have taken conventional lessons have actually lost the ability, due over-analyzing, breaking down the swing into segmented parts and internalizing.

IF YOU:

1. Start right (grip, stance, alignment).

2. Properly conceptualize the objective.

3. Swing with intent.

You’ll be very surprised by your results.

There is so much more I could get into on things related to this topic including: dominant vs non dominant movement and “mirroring”, how trying to control positions at high speeds can be physically dangerous, unnatural vs natural movement, Tiger’s paralysis by analysis, properly conceptualizing the objective, why swinging with a ball and without a ball can change your swing, being in the zone, how our minds are the single biggest limiting factor in sports performance, speed and reaction, personal style vs fundamentals, audible cues, velocity vs control and how they’re diametrically opposed, why I train speed first, control later, etc, etc.

Lots to discuss!

Anyway, that wasn’t exactly succinct but hopefully that makes sense.

Rob.

New customer here, can't wait to read and get into it. Was in a major motor vehicle accident and just started swinging again after 8 months off. Hope this will help my L3/L4 back pain =)

Thanks for this Rob and you should write a book or pdf on that. I'm sure there would be lots of people like me interested in paying to learn more about intent and all the other detail you were not able mention.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

One of the things that keeps impacting me is that swinging faster really is a new mind-set and feel. I was thinking today that a part of this for me is not being concerned about mis-hitting the ball. Swinging without a governor... not trying to control or manipulate the swing. All the physical work still requires 'permission' to swing faster.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ya, absolutely I can.

This can get pretty long and detailed but I’ll try to be somewhat succinct.

Essentially, you have it right, swinging with maximum “Intent” means to concern yourself with nothing other than swinging as fast as you possibly can.

Now, I’m sure most people’s initial reaction to reading that is: “that’s it, big deal”… and I don’t blame them. We are living in a society that is so incredibly analytical and consumed by information, we have trouble accepting anything that is simple as being effective. This is in stark contrast to how we as a society used to function, not too long ago.

For example, Baseball pitchers used to be taught to “step and throw”. Today, you have guys in full body sensor suites with reflective balls, 3-D motion-capture, 14 infrared cameras, 6 computers and 3 scientists trying to reverse engineer and teach what we have instinctively known how to do as human beings for thousands of years… throw an object at a target without thinking about it.

The golf swing is absolutely no different. When’s the last time you played an entire round of golf focusing intently on the ball without a single swing thought? Scary reality, isn’t it.

There’s no doubt about it, sports-science is fascinating and curious and amazing, but is it a great teaching tool? I’m not so sure. The more information we’re presented with, the more internalizing is required to process it.

The problems is, we don’t perform well when we’re in our heads. You hear it all the time, “he’s in his head”, yet this is exactly how we’re taught today and how we practice. Doesn’t make a lot of sense does it? Once you’re in, it’s tough to get back out (Tiger).

By focusing on “intent” and swinging as fast as possible, the goal is to a) limit the amount of time you have to internalize and consciously think about body parts and positions, therefore allowing for natural sequencing and movement and b) to train your nervous system and muscles to fire as fast as possible… something we simply cannot achieve when we are consciously thinking about positions and body parts. When we “think”, we move slower than what we are truly capable of. If you don’t believe me, try sprinting while consciously thinking about moving each arm and leg and see how fast you run. Then sprint with max “intent”… on autopilot. The results aren’t even close.

There is absolutely no difference between this and swinging a golf club, throwing a ball or jumping.

What’s kind of shocking is that you probably won’t even be able to swing without thinking about body parts and positions for the first little while. Most of us who have taken conventional lessons have actually lost the ability, due over-analyzing, breaking down the swing into segmented parts and internalizing.

IF YOU:

1. Start right (grip, stance, alignment).

2. Properly conceptualize the objective.

3. Swing with intent.

You’ll be very surprised by your results.

There is so much more I could get into on things related to this topic including: dominant vs non dominant movement and “mirroring”, how trying to control positions at high speeds can be physically dangerous, unnatural vs natural movement, Tiger’s paralysis by analysis, properly conceptualizing the objective, why swinging with a ball and without a ball can change your swing, being in the zone, how our minds are the single biggest limiting factor in sports performance, speed and reaction, personal style vs fundamentals, audible cues, velocity vs control and how they’re diametrically opposed, why I train speed first, control later, etc, etc.

Lots to discuss!

Anyway, that wasn’t exactly succinct but hopefully that makes sense.

Rob.

New customer here, can't wait to read and get into it. Was in a major motor vehicle accident and just started swinging again after 8 months off. Hope this will help my L3/L4 back pain =)

Thanks for this Rob and you should write a book or pdf on that. I'm sure there would be lots of people like me interested in paying to learn more about intent and all the other detail you were not able mention.

Wow, glad you're ok man. Scary.

Make sure you check with your doctor before starting the program but once he gives you the ok, I think the program can definitely be of benefit. It can definitely help with back weakness, discomfort and injury prevention. And I think we all know, staying healthy is the most important factor for consistent performance.

Keep us posted and good luck!

One of the things that keeps impacting me is that swinging faster really is a new mind-set and feel. I was thinking today that a part of this for me is not being concerned about mis-hitting the ball. Swinging without a governor... not trying to control or manipulate the swing. All the physical work still requires 'permission' to swing faster.

You're definitely right on the money. The body will never do what the mind won't let it. We're constantly being instructed to think about what our bodies are doing in time and space... thinking, internally focusing, etc. Trying to figure out positions and sequences by controlling our bodies. This is not what being explosive is all about. Speed and control are diametrically opposed. Thinking during movement inhibits speed of movement.

Do you think Mike Tyson thought about or was trying to control what his right elbow and left hip were doing during scapular loading of a punch? Give me a break.

Sure there's a ton of science occurring under the surface but absolutely none of it would have served him any purpose other than to slow him down. And this is exactly the problem with relying too heavily on sports science as a teaching tool. Numbers and graphs are great for feedback, but not so great for instruction.

The irony in this is that most golfers don't even know what 100% output feels like. They've had a governor put on their

swing since they first picked up a club because of traditional instruction's focus on control. They've never even learned to swing at true 100% output.

What ends up happening is their ceiling starts to drop because it's never been tapped into. They've only ever learned to swing at 75% and what happens is 75% ends up becoming their new 100%. That extra 25% sits dormant inside their body.

This program was designed to get golfers to tap into and realize their true 100% speed output by learning to shut off their mind, and swinging with pure intent.

You're definitely right on the money. The body will never do what the mind won't let it. We're constantly being instructed to think about what our bodies are doing in time and space... thinking, internally focusing, etc. Trying to figure out positions and sequences by controlling our bodies. This is not what being explosive is all about. Speed and control are diametrically opposed. Thinking during movement inhibits speed of movement.

Do you think Mike Tyson thought about or was trying to control what his right elbow and left hip were doing during scapular loading of a punch? Give me a break.

Sure there's a ton of science occurring under the surface but absolutely none of it would have served him any purpose other than to slow him down. And this is exactly the problem with relying too heavily on sports science as a teaching tool. Numbers and graphs are great for feedback, but not so great for instruction.

The irony in this is that most golfers don't even know what 100% output feels like. They've had a governor put on their

swing since they first picked up a club because of traditional instruction's focus on control. They've never even learned to swing at true 100% output.

What ends up happening is their ceiling starts to drop because it's never been tapped into. They've only ever learned to swing at 75% and what happens is 75% ends up becoming their new 100%. That extra 25% sits dormant inside their body.

This program was designed to get golfers to tap into and realize their true 100% speed output by learning to shut off their mind, and swinging with pure intent.

I like this.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Here's the rub. Several years ago I asked a pro how to hit it farther. He said 'easy. Turn faster' and I did - and I hit it much farther but was all over the planet.

So it seems to me I have to also have swing mechanics that can handle speed reliably. Then again, I recall Nicklaus from decades ago saying he thought first you teach kids speed and then control later.

What makes sense to me now is I work on both - mainly trying to get the mechanics to a point that they are 'easy' and don't take much thought/attention. I am very close to this now. And I also work on swings where all I am doing is turn thru the ball with everything as fast as I can. It's still a shock to the system and I can feel how resistant I am to really letting this happen. It'll come but it also takes some retraining of my mind/body.

But I have never taken a swing in my life (or not many!) with my mind shut off, with zero swing thoughts. I am going to see if I can do that today. I actually am close to being able to trust that, I think. I'll report back what happens.

I'm glad to see this thread have some life. It's great to have a place to focus on speed - it's like the taboo topic on wrx. I can't recall a place where the process to develop speed was talked about and while there are plenty here who can pound the ball a long way, there are more like me who wish they could!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W