Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

Ok... I was historically as mired in swing thoughts as a human can be ... although things are pretty simple now for me after a long process.

So I tried today to swing at the ball with no swing thoughts other than a idea of the ball flight and a commitment to speed. First of all, it was not as hard as I had imagined and my swing didn't melt in to a big mess with no swing thoughts. It was pretty much identical to a swing with 'check points' that has become standard (more like feels than thoughts but still mental intervention into the swing).

The thing that happened is I returned to the idea of turning pivot faster that I mentioned in a previous post - going back faster as well as well as going thru the ball faster. This is where being stronger helps because the club has momentum and if you turn back faster the club at transition can get loose and wobble all over the place.

Bottom line: worth continuing to work on. I want to see how fast I can swing the club and what happens to control and consistency from it... I was encouraged. I saw a clear extra 10 yards and wasn't all over the place.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

When beginning foam rolling and lacross ball rolling or starting back after not doing for a while, is it normal to have very deep pain especially in the glutes and side of glutes??

Definitely. But goes away fairly quickly and will recover faster from working out. At least in my experience!

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

So, even if it's very sore, I should keep working the spots?

For me, the soreness is the spots/knots loosening up. At first it was like holy crap!!! But now it's oooh that's loose...

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

It seemed to me when I started rolling especially with the ball I needed to ease into it so as not to bruise something - but now after a while I am trying to get as deep as I can... so things do loosen up.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I just got this program, although the voice in the back of my mind said don't do it. It is a BIG program and I'm afraid it would crowd out all the other fitness stuff I'm doing (gym, Cross-Fit, running, Spinning, superspeedgolf. I don't think I will be using any of it. However if you are looking for a comprehensive program from a passionate guy that will improve many areas of the your life. I don't think I will be asking for my $$ back, because I think Rob is a good dude, and he made me laugh every time I read his little password joke. :D

Ok... I was historically as mired in swing thoughts as a human can be ... although things are pretty simple now for me after a long process.

So I tried today to swing at the ball with no swing thoughts other than a idea of the ball flight and a commitment to speed. First of all, it was not as hard as I had imagined and my swing didn't melt in to a big mess with no swing thoughts. It was pretty much identical to a swing with 'check points' that has become standard (more like feels than thoughts but still mental intervention into the swing).

The thing that happened is I returned to the idea of turning pivot faster that I mentioned in a previous post - going back faster as well as well as going thru the ball faster. This is where being stronger helps because the club has momentum and if you turn back faster the club at transition can get loose and wobble all over the place.

Bottom line: worth continuing to work on. I want to see how fast I can swing the club and what happens to control and consistency from it... I was encouraged. I saw a clear extra 10 yards and wasn't all over the place.

Played my first round this morning using this mind frame. Shot a 78, left a few putts out there.

First time breaking 80 this year. And reached places with driver never reached before!

This is fun! I used an idea I heard from Breed during the club PGA Championship broadcast - look at the top of the trees for aim point. Seems to be working.

Thanks Blake for your bringing this program to the room's attention.

Played my first round this morning using this mind frame. Shot a 78, left a few putts out there.

First time breaking 80 this year. And reached places with driver never reached before!

This is fun! I used an idea I heard from Breed during the club PGA Championship broadcast - look at the top of the trees for aim point. Seems to be working.

Congrats. That's very nice. As an aside - I got some Miura baby blades several weeks ago. First round with them shot 3 over 75, best round ever. Since then haven't sniffed sub 80 except once. So take this as a cautionary note - the golf gods are mighty.

The other very very cool thing is my back has gotten much stronger- I now sometime carry my bag! That blows me away!

I really personally believe the program allows your body to handle a faster swing. One theory in my mind is we swing faster because we're willing to but you need strength and flexibility to handle the forces that swing generates.

Anyway congrats... it is fun to let it rip, no doubt. If I really could play with no mechanical swing thoughts ... wow.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

This is worth every penny of $20. I love that it combines rolling and mobility exercises along with real lifts. For a while I've felt like golf training is either one or the other not a solid combination of both. Highest recommendation.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

been doing the MFR before my regular strength workout .

being in pretty good shape was surprised to see a difference after just two MFR sessions this week.

Going to get the mobility training into my routine this upcoming week , then speed training the following week.

my diet and sleep patterns are right on what is suggested in the manuals .

thanks to the OP and Rob as this program should help a lot of people !

I'm unable to reverse curl the bar. Should I just use lighter dumbells? Regular curls are fine with the bar

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Jason, I have used dumbells for the wrist curls. I can't imagine why not to do it this way.

Thanks. I just used the shorter bar for the reverse today. Such a weight difference between reg and reverse for me. So I'm on my second full week and was worried because I hurt my lower back previously doing deadlifts and after watching your demonstration I realized my form was awful (hunched back) and now can tell I'm getting stronger quick my wife commented today I'm looking lean and tight!! Lol

Only negative is I wish you could put all the different program videos on one Vimeo page (all foam work on one, all mobility on one, workout a, workout b, swings, etc)so you don't have to keep entering the password. Minor but would be easier and faster. I use Vimeo for work so should be simple. PM me if you need help. Thanks!!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

One of the things that keeps impacting me is that swinging faster really is a new mind-set and feel. I was thinking today that a part of this for me is not being concerned about mis-hitting the ball. Swinging without a governor... not trying to control or manipulate the swing. All the physical work still requires 'permission' to swing faster.

You're definitely right on the money. The body will never do what the mind won't let it. We're constantly being instructed to think about what our bodies are doing in time and space... thinking, internally focusing, etc. Trying to figure out positions and sequences by controlling our bodies. This is not what being explosive is all about. Speed and control are diametrically opposed. Thinking during movement inhibits speed of movement.

Do you think Mike Tyson thought about or was trying to control what his right elbow and left hip were doing during scapular loading of a punch? Give me a break.

Sure there's a ton of science occurring under the surface but absolutely none of it would have served him any purpose other than to slow him down. And this is exactly the problem with relying too heavily on sports science as a teaching tool. Numbers and graphs are great for feedback, but not so great for instruction.

The irony in this is that most golfers don't even know what 100% output feels like. They've had a governor put on their

swing since they first picked up a club because of traditional instruction's focus on control. They've never even learned to swing at true 100% output.

What ends up happening is their ceiling starts to drop because it's never been tapped into. They've only ever learned to swing at 75% and what happens is 75% ends up becoming their new 100%. That extra 25% sits dormant inside their body.

This program was designed to get golfers to tap into and realize their true 100% speed output by learning to shut off their mind, and swinging with pure intent.

Here's the rub. Several years ago I asked a pro how to hit it farther. He said 'easy. Turn faster' and I did - and I hit it much farther but was all over the planet.

So it seems to me I have to also have swing mechanics that can handle speed reliably. Then again, I recall Nicklaus from decades ago saying he thought first you teach kids speed and then control later.

What makes sense to me now is I work on both - mainly trying to get the mechanics to a point that they are 'easy' and don't take much thought/attention. I am very close to this now. And I also work on swings where all I am doing is turn thru the ball with everything as fast as I can. It's still a shock to the system and I can feel how resistant I am to really letting this happen. It'll come but it also takes some retraining of my mind/body.

But I have never taken a swing in my life (or not many!) with my mind shut off, with zero swing thoughts. I am going to see if I can do that today. I actually am close to being able to trust that, I think. I'll report back what happens.

I'm glad to see this thread have some life. It's great to have a place to focus on speed - it's like the taboo topic on wrx. I can't recall a place where the process to develop speed was talked about and while there are plenty here who can pound the ball a long way, there are more like me who wish they could!

Interesting about Nicklaus saying that. I wholeheartedly agree.

And I'm not some macho guy who thinks Golf is a game all about power. Obviously finesse is as much or more important than power but to limit ourselves from every knowing what we're truly capable of from a power perspective, is silly. There's nothing to say you can't let off the gas pedal when need be. But when the time comes to floor it, we should have the ability to do so. What's also interesting is that when you learn to really swing fast, swinging slower becomes much, much more easy to control and ball striking will improve.

When beginning foam rolling and lacross ball rolling or starting back after not doing for a while, is it normal to have very deep pain especially in the glutes and side of glutes??

Everyone is different. It just depends on the individual. For me personally, my inner quads and IT band are the most sore when starting out. For others, it could be glutes or calves... it just all depends. Usually within a week you will start to feel much less pain while rolling.

So, even if it's very sore, I should keep working the spots?

If it's unbearable than no, take a day or two off. It will hurt for most people but it shouldn't be so incredibly painful that you can't do it. The good news is that when it stops hurting, you're going to move and feel a lot better. Pain just means you have lots of room for improvement.

Awesome man, congrats!! This is exactly what I'm hoping people will get out of this program. A healthier body, a simpler swing, more distance and lower scores, which obviously means more fun.

Congrats. That's very nice. As an aside - I got some Miura baby blades several weeks ago. First round with them shot 3 over 75, best round ever. Since then haven't sniffed sub 80 except once. So take this as a cautionary note - the golf gods are mighty.

The other very very cool thing is my back has gotten much stronger- I now sometime carry my bag! That blows me away!

I really personally believe the program allows your body to handle a faster swing. One theory in my mind is we swing faster because we're willing to but you need strength and flexibility to handle the forces that swing generates.

Anyway congrats... it is fun to let it rip, no doubt. If I really could play with no mechanical swing thoughts ... wow.

I never thought of how it might help some guys walk and carry their bag but that's awesome. Glad it's helping in that respect.

And yes, it's no different than a pitcher or a car. The bigger the engine, the faster it goes, but the breaks must also be bigger in order to slow it down.

What's cool is that by strengthening your "brakes" (deceleration muscles), your swing-speed should naturally improve because your mind knows you have the necessary strength to decelerate a faster swing-speed. This has been proven with Baseball pitchers. It's crazy how much our minds and bodies work together, subconsciously.

been doing the MFR before my regular strength workout .

being in pretty good shape was surprised to see a difference after just two MFR sessions this week.

Going to get the mobility training into my routine this upcoming week , then speed training the following week.

my diet and sleep patterns are right on what is suggested in the manuals .

thanks to the OP and Rob as this program should help a lot of people !

Awesome, keep us posted. Good luck!

Jason, I have used dumbells for the wrist curls. I can't imagine why not to do it this way.

Thanks. I just used the shorter bar for the reverse today. Such a weight difference between reg and reverse for me. So I'm on my second full week and was worried because I hurt my lower back previously doing deadlifts and after watching your demonstration I realized my form was awful (hunched back) and now can tell I'm getting stronger quick my wife commented today I'm looking lean and tight!! Lol

Only negative is I wish you could put all the different program videos on one Vimeo page (all foam work on one, all mobility on one, workout a, workout b, swings, etc)so you don't have to keep entering the password. Minor but would be easier and faster. I use Vimeo for work so should be simple. PM me if you need help. Thanks!!

Awesome about the Deadlifts! Proper from is absolutely crucial. Form first, weight second.

One thing that might help when you're back to using the barbell is to think of lifting the bar using your biceps, not your forearms and wrists. This really helped me. Again, it goes back to this whole thing about properly conceptualizing, that I also refer to when talking about swinging. Hope it helps!

I'll see if I can group the videos together without having to copy and paste all new links for every exercise and send out a whole bunch of new PDFs to everyone. It's a good suggestion though, thanks.