Is it just me, or is Open coverage unbearable?

BeerPerHole

It took a solid half hour to actually show live golf but it wasn't terrible.

Probably in the minority but I'd like to see a tournament covered with a 5 or ten minute delay where there is no commentary. Just show the guy hitting the shot with some info on the corner of the screen that has yardage, wind direction, score and hole. Leaderboard on another corner. Just hearing the birds chirping, applause and players and caddies talking

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

I have a suggestion for making the FOX telecast more enjoyable. Drink a shot of Patron tequila every time someone on the telecast says the word "fescue".

I did this yesterday, and I have to say, after about 3 minutes, I really didn't notice any problems. I have a little teeny headache today, but I think that's allergies.

If you really did this you'd have gone through 5 bottles and would probably be dead by now :tongue:

...and I'm pretty sure Holly Sonders is over 75% plastic at this point...she's probably recyclable

IS she still married. Did not see a ring

You are correct. Holly is a custom blend plastics, consisting of 32% nylon, 25% polypropylene, 20% silicon and 23% polyethylene. They coat her with a UV package two times a year (same stuff they spray on navy ships) to prevent color degradation. The only original equipment left from the womb is her left kidney and pelvis.

I don't listen to the commentary anymore, Buck has neither the voice, nor (more importantly) the reference for the game. You have to be aware of the subtleties and context associated with the shot to offer value as a broadcaster, IMHO.

Case in point, there was a brief segment on the PROPOSED rule change regarding leaving the pin in while playing a stroke on the putting green... It really needed to be said that this was not a guaranteed change, as the segment implied it will be adopted if not already in effect. No disclosure made in the segment itself, no follow-up by Buck or anyone else... nothing. Ignorant at best, misleading at worst.

Also, I understand that the field is full of noobs due to the qualifying nature of the championship... but these guys need to be prepared to pronounce the name of EVERY single participant if need be. Not sure who it was, but someone absolutely butchered Bernd Wiesberger's last name, even referring to him as "Michael" at one point. C'mon man, the guy has played in the event for the past 3 years, and even played with Rory in the final pairing at the 2014 PGA!

Thankfully, the main source of value Fox adds to the broadcast is ProTracer, which still works perfectly fine with the volume muted.

If you don't listen to the commentary anymore, how do you know they mispronounced someone's name?

I currently have the featured group coverage on with Scott, Garcia and Bubba. The commentating is horrendous.

I am not quite sure who is in the booth but dear god, they are horrendous. There is one in particular, who's voice is about as irritating as I could imagine and the problem is that the two other guys seem to defer to him over and over and he loves the sound of his own voice.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I currently have the featured group coverage on with Scott, Garcia and Bubba. The commentating is horrendous.

I am not quite sure who is in the booth but dear god, they are horrendous. There is one in particular, who's voice is about as irritating as I could imagine and the problem is that the two other guys seem to defer to him over and over and he loves the sound of his own voice.

Yeah - not sure who it is, but he is brutal. I've really liked the feature group in the past because it's usually all about golf, get to see all the shots, not sure how long I'll make it with the sound on.

Anyone notice all the "piped in" effects that FOX does? Hate the sound they do when the ball goes in the hole, you can tell it is so fake. Also, I have a friend that lives close to the course and he said that all those sounds of the birds chirping is fake and it doesn't sound like that at all.

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

As stated by many, the actual broadcast and visuals are pretty good. The commentary is seriously sub-standard. Still I'd rather have it like that than the other way around.

There is also a welcome absence of saccharine puff pieces unlike on other US broadcasters.

Undoubtedly Sky is the best given they offer good visuals and good contrary.

Was just watching that myself and totally agree. Just dreadful.

Was just watching that myself and totally agree. Just dreadful.

It's painful listening to him! He just said that something was surprisingly diabolical and diabolical would sum his commentary up. It is that bad that I am thinking of actually finishing off some work on a Friday afternoon over here.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Anyone notice all the "piped in" effects that FOX does? Hate the sound they do when the ball goes in the hole, you can tell it is so fake. Also, I have a friend that lives close to the course and he said that all those sounds of the birds chirping is fake and it doesn't sound like that at all.

The sounds are part of the TV production.

Would you rather hear the "typical sounds at Erin Hills", such as people screaming in agony from numerous tick bites and those suffering from symptoms of lyme disease?

"Unbearable" wow if watching golf in HD on tv in the comfort of your home is really that bad for you I hope you don't have a real crisis anytime soon ??

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I thought the afternoon coverage on FS1 was awesome. Shane O'Donoghue was great, Darren Clarke sounds like hes going to have a future in commentary and the rest were reasonable to listen to as well. The FOX coverage wasnt great but it wasnt as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

My comment on Holly is my god has she got some work done. She doesn't even look natural anymore. Doesn't mean i wouldn't still give it a go lol

FAKE NEWS! I mean, it is FOX ?

I thought the afternoon coverage on FS1 was awesome. Shane O'Donoghue was great, Darren Clarke sounds like hes going to have a future in commentary and the rest were reasonable to listen to as well. The FOX coverage wasnt great but it wasnt as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

My comment on Holly is my god has she got some work done. She doesn't even look natural anymore. Doesn't mean i wouldn't still give it a go lol

I'm sure she'd be thrilled lol

I'm shocked she only 30

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I don't know if this was just my TV but the audio track was out of sync with the video so the ball noise would happen about half second before the shot and this gets very annoying. As for the commentators - they come off pretty low budget and unprofessional but I actually quite enjoy their chit chat. At one point one of them made a joke about the ticks in the fescue then someone else told him it was actually a very serious problem in America, and they concluded that while it was funny is actually no laughing matter. Also another one said Adam Scott's putting was hard to watch. Pretty terrible commentary!

The sounds are part of the TV production.

Would you rather hear the "typical sounds at Erin Hills", such as people screaming in agony from numerous tick bites and those suffering from symptoms of lyme disease?

every broadcast does that. Its not FOX but i guess we see where this is headed

:cheesy: fake...piped in.... who cares. most of you guys wouldn't know a bobolink from a bumble bee or a Harris sparrow from a hairy nipple. Turn the volume down and enjoy the golf.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Lowlights so far:

1. Holly...looks like a caricature of a 50 year old cougar at Javier's in Newport Coast!

2. Diana Murphy's Jacket?!?! - in her pretaped video, she is wearing the most ill fitting jacket I've ever seen on Television...WTF???

3. Curtis Strange...I can't stand the guy. Lanny Wadkins too, while I'm at it. Both seem like humorless negatrons.

4. Shot tracer/tracker...whatever it's called, why don't they use it all the time...it just seems to pop up on random shots.

Fortunately, I'm watching it in my office on my second PC...I've turned off the sound the pictures are terrific.

Lowlights so far:

1. Holly...looks like a caricature of a 50 year old cougar at Javier's in Newport Coast!

2. Diana Murphy's Jacket?!?! - in her pretaped video, she is wearing the most ill fitting jacket I've ever seen on Television...WTF???

3. Curtis Strange...I can't stand the guy. Lanny Wadkins too, while I'm at it. Both seem like humorless negatrons.

4. Shot tracer/tracker...whatever it's called, why don't they use it all the time...it just seems to pop up on random shots.

Fortunately, I'm watching it in my office on my second PC...I've turned off the sound the pictures are terrific.

1. Holly looks like some kind of computer-generated character. Just saw her introducing the Andy North feature.

2. That jacket looks like it was sized for Andre the Giant. What a weird look.

I learned a couple of decades ago that the best way to watch golf is put the TV on mute.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Lowlights so far:

I noticed Diana Murphy's jacket in the video too. Made it look like she was pregnant or way the hell overweight with it buttoned up the way it was. Geez, one would think she would have taken a look at the video before letting it be aired and thought...."damn, need to do a retake on this and rethink the jacket"

Holly needs to lose a few extensions, otherwise she is really, really easy on the eyes.

Hopefully, they have someone other than Murphy hand out the trophy on Sunday too!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

If it's good enough for The Masters...