2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Danny Willett worst major champion ever?

Arpeggi

Brooks went out on Sunday and won the US Open this weekend. Willett backed into the win at the 2016 Masters. What made me dislike him was not his brothers comments but Danny's support of his brothers comments after the Ryder Cup.

It was not a smart move to insult the US fan base when typically 3 of the 4 Majors are played here.

Not thinking either of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brooks went out on Sunday and won the US Open this weekend. Willett backed into the win at the 2016 Masters.

Really? Willett started the 4th round of the 2016 Masters in 5th place, tied with Jason Day and Dustin Johnson, 3 shots behind JS, shot a bogey free 67 on Sunday at the Masters with a back nine 32. Using your logic I guess Nick Faldo really really backed into the 1996 Masters. He was 6 shots behind Norman after 3 rounds and shot 67 like Willett. With the rounds Willett and Faldo shot they both went and did what they needed to and won with their play. It's not like Willett started out 7 shots back of the lead and then shot 39 on the back 9 to win. :o Facts be damned I guess. Perhaps Jack Nicklaus backed into the 1986 Masters. I mean with 5 holes to go Jack was 4 behind (using comparative hole standings).

Most all large comebacks in golf have someone throwing up on themselves down the finish while somebody else finishes strong. Same thing happened when Martin Kaymer blew a 10 shot lead in Abu Dhabi with 13 holes to go to lose by 2 in a Euro Tour event in 2015.

People remember the Van De Velde collapse at Carnoustie to fall into the playoff with Justin Leonard and Paul Lawrie. What gets overlooked is that Lawrie shot the lowest score (tied C. Parry 3rd round) of the event in the final round with a 67 that enabled him to get into the playoff. Guess that was another major where somebody backed into it? Lawrie had one of the best final rounds in a major relative to what the field shot and all most people recall is Van De Velde. Lawries final round should be celebrated more when best final rounds of majors are discussed. Had a big name player did what Lawrie did in 1999 it would be acknowledged forever.

Spieth gift wrapped The Masters to Willett.

Probably not the worst player to ever win one, but certainly one of the luckiest. I don't like his on course demeanour lately. It's as if he now thinks he has a divine right to win majors every single time, when the fact of the matter is that in the grand scheme of things he's little more than a journeyman pro.

As for his brother, he has a lot to answer for. He's the main reason why threads like this pop up. I'm British, but PJ's very existence makes me root for anyone but Willett purely by association.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

When I think of backing into a major I think of Paul Lawrie and Geoff Ogilvy

Ogilvy I agree Lawrie not. A final round 67 on Carnoustie in a strong wind then birdied 17+18 to win in the playoff is pretty good playing in my book.

Ogilvy led for a lot of Sunday at Winged Foot, led by 2 after 6 holes, was tied after 11, so unlike some of the other players, was in major contention the whole time. Parring the last hole was like birdieing a par 5, it was that tough.

As a player, nowhere near this discussion. Only Dustin Johnson and Tiger Woods have more WGCs.

Brooks went out on Sunday and won the US Open this weekend. Willett backed into the win at the 2016 Masters.

Really? Willett started the 4th round of the 2016 Masters in 5th place, tied with Jason Day and Dustin Johnson, 3 shots behind JS, shot a bogey free 67 on Sunday at the Masters with a back nine 32. Using your logic I guess Nick Faldo really really backed into the 1996 Masters. He was 6 shots behind Norman after 3 rounds and shot 67 like Willett. With the rounds Willett and Faldo shot they both went and did what they needed to and won with their play. It's not like Willett started out 7 shots back of the lead and then shot 39 on the back 9 to win. :o Facts be damned I guess. Perhaps Jack Nicklaus backed into the 1986 Masters. I mean with 5 holes to go Jack was 4 behind (using comparative hole standings).

Most all large comebacks in golf have someone throwing up on themselves down the finish while somebody else finishes strong. Same thing happened when Martin Kaymer blew a 10 shot lead in Abu Dhabi with 13 holes to go to lose by 2 in a Euro Tour event in 2015.

People remember the Van De Velde collapse at Carnoustie to fall into the playoff with Justin Leonard and Paul Lawrie. What gets overlooked is that Lawrie shot the lowest score (tied C. Parry 3rd round) of the event in the final round with a 67 that enabled him to get into the playoff. Guess that was another major where somebody backed into it? Lawrie had one of the best final rounds in a major relative to what the field shot and all most people recall is Van De Velde. Lawries final round should be celebrated more when best final rounds of majors are discussed. Had a big name player did what Lawrie did in 1999 it would be acknowledged forever.

So you don't see a difference in how Willett won the 2016 Masters and how Koepka won the US Open? I didn't say WIllett was the only guy to back in to a victory but it's his only Major and other than flap his gums he hasn't done much since.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

So you don't see a difference in how Willett won the 2016 Masters and how Koepka won the US Open? I didn't say WIllett was the only guy to back in to a victory but it's his only Major and other than flap his gums he hasn't done much since.

The point is Willett didn't back into his Masters win. What he has done since then has nothing to with whatever point you were trying to make. Other than showing your dislike for Willett.

Brooks went out on Sunday and won the US Open this weekend. Willett backed into the win at the 2016 Masters. What made me dislike him was not his brothers comments but Danny's support of his brothers comments after the Ryder Cup.

It was not a smart move to insult the US fan base when typically 3 of the 4 Majors are played here.

I agree in parts but how the smeg to do back into winning a major?? Didn't he shoot 67??

Did faldo back into his masters win in 96? I've even seen sandy Lyles name on this thread which is truly mind boggling! In fact the whole thread smacks of jealousy against players who did it at the very highest level.

I agree in parts but how the smeg to do back into winning a major?? Didn't he shoot 67??

Did faldo back into his masters win in 96? I've even seen sandy Lyles name on this thread which is truly mind boggling! In fact the whole thread smacks of jealousy against players who did it at the very highest level.

Funny how it's always European players that "back into" major wins in the eyes of certain parochial US golf fans.

Had someone like Mickleson won in similar circumstances he'd be hailed for his "gutsy close out" or something of that order.

He's age 29, has won 5 times on the Euro Tour, cracked the top 10 in the world rankings, and fired a flawless 67 to win the Masters. No way this guy is the worst major winner, not even close. Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, Keegan Bradley, Claude Harmon Sr., Todd Hamilton, Jack Fleck, Webb Simpson, Trevor Immelman are head and shoulders above Willett in this discussion.

He's age 29, has won 5 times on the Euro Tour, cracked the top 10 in the world rankings, and fired a flawless 67 to win the Masters. No way this guy is the worst major winner, not even close. Shaun Micheel, Michael Campbell, Keegan Bradley, Claude Harmon Sr., Todd Hamilton, Jack Fleck, Webb Simpson, Trevor Immelman are head and shoulders above Willett in this discussion.

Couldn't agree more....what happens if he wins one of the opens, is he still the worse??! For some reason this thread has really hit a nerve with me, same with the other similar one!

Bradley has 3 PGA Tour wins and better finishes in Majors. He was ranked Top 15 his first 3 years on the PGA Tour.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

But Willett's brother hurt some Americans during the 2016 Ryder Cup

Yup, this thread has nothing to do with Willett's talent level, and everything to do with the hurtie feelings...

Not nearly as much as the US hurt the fiery Euros during the 2016 Ryder Cup.

USA!

Yes they did. What everyone remembers is the epic meltdowns that allowed them to win. Luckily for Faldo he's an all timer so he gets a little more credit after the fact.

If the leaders in the three tournaments made a couple late bogeys, shot 70, and got beat this wouldn't be a conversation. What happened was all time epic meltdowns, in conjunction to solid play that allowed them to win. Willet, Lowry and Faldos wins are far and away more recognizable because of the way they won(and how the lead was lost).

Unless he does a complete 180, the only reason Danny Willets name will be mentioned is for 2 seconds in a Jordan Speith career highlight film. As a footnote in the portion about his epic meltdown; and how he should have had another masters.

Yup, this thread has nothing to do with Willett's talent level, and everything to do with the hurtie feelings...

Exactly. Willett is talented, just had an off year after winning big last year.

Not nearly as much as the US hurt the fiery Euros during the 2016 Ryder Cup.

USA!

And rightfully so after the suicide squad Chubby Chandler assembled :D USA!

Yes they did. What everyone remembers is the epic meltdowns that allowed them to win. Luckily for Faldo he's an all timer so he gets a little more credit after the fact.

If the leaders in the three tournaments made a couple late bogeys, shot 70, and got beat this wouldn't be a conversation. What happened was all time epic meltdowns, in conjunction to solid play that allowed them to win. Willet, Lowry and Faldos wins are far and away more recognizable because of the way they won(and how the lead was lost).

Unless he does a complete 180, the only reason Danny Willets name will be mentioned is for 2 seconds in a Jordan Speith career highlight film. As a footnote in the portion about his epic meltdown; and how he should have had another masters.

That's sport and handling nerves is part of it....Speith blew up, Willet didn't and fully deserved his masters win end of! Try telling a Leicester fan that they 'backed'into their title win last season....you win because you're the best that day, week year etc. It's all ifs and buts, but at the end of the day Danny Willet has a green jacket.

If the favourites keep on winning, the what's the point of sport?? Surprises are the ones that are remembered not forgotten in 2 minutes!

The point is Willett didn't back into his Masters win. What he has done since then has nothing to with whatever point you were trying to make. Other than showing your dislike for Willett.

The analogy you can do involving Spieth is the 2015 US Open with the 2012 US Open, both (Spieth and Simpson) won it from the locker room because Gmac/Furyk in one case and DJ in the other made a mess on 18. Spieth's Masters is, on the other side, very Similar to Kaymer's US Open

Yeah good point, I forgot about Lawrie. Willett probably second worst to win a major. Boom!

But seriously, as you mentioned he started Sunday tied with Day and DJ. If either of them posted that 67 it would have been celebrated as one of the great rounds and would have been attributed as the reason Spieth choked.

Funny how it's always European players that "back into" major wins in the eyes of certain parochial US golf fans.

Had someone like Mickleson won in similar circumstances he'd be hailed for his "gutsy close out" or something of that order.

Not for me, grew up watching Lyle, Faldo, Langer, Olazabal, etc. However, Willet is not their caliber either IMO.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 2 months later...

Ok, say what you want, but the lad is making a go of it. His play at the Omega European Masters has been nothing short of atrocious.

How many missed cuts on the trot now?? I'm mean damn...

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

No is the short answer. He was 12 OWGR going into that Master week, it was a surprise for sure but not completely out of nowhere.

His form is beyond awful and I hear he has gone to Sean Foley which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Its too early to make that assessment, he turns 30 next month so still has plenty of time. I watched the Omega European Masters the last two days and he looks shell shocked and defeated.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

It might have been suggested in the thread, but this thing with players playing bad after a major victory, not just the few tournaments after the victory, isn't that kind of human? Especially if you are not that celebrated? It must have come as a shock for Willett, all the attention he got from media and so on. How to handle that? How to live up to "play like a major champion"? Will it not easily throw you in for "swing redo's" and a lot of stuff? Maybe the current poor play from Wllet is due to his master victory.

It might be different for guys like Tiger, Spieth, that has had a lot of attention, and who seem to have a mindset of really becoming numero uno. Winning a major is maybe just part of a plan.

Look at the Open winners. Quite a lot of the guys have not had great success after tha wint. Spieth is an exception as Tiger also was. An exception that makes sense.

No is the short answer. He was 12 OWGR going into that Master week, it was a surprise for sure but not completely out of nowhere.

His form is beyond awful and I hear he has gone to Sean Foley which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Its too early to make that assessment, he turns 30 next month so still has plenty of time. I watched the Omega European Masters the last two days and he looks shell shocked and defeated.

I saw him reaching for his back on a couple of swings yesterday I think he is hurt and should rest

I saw him reaching for his back on a couple of swings yesterday I think he is hurt and should rest

I think I heard sometime earlier this summer from a commentator on Sky Sports that he was considering surgery, not sure if its been scheduled or Doctors have said its not needed. If hurt, why is he playing? His form is so bad what is he trying to achieve at the moment?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Yeah, his ego must be taking a shellacking. He needs to figure it out sooner than later. That new putter was stone cold this week :stinker:

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant