Danny Willett worst major champion ever?

Arpeggi

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap Sean Foley killed Willet already. He's out for the year with an injured rotator cuff.

http://www.golfchann...7-season-103017

How long before this hack gets sued?

It's unreal. In fairness to Foley the injury may have been entirely unrelated to the golf, but still.

Im only half serious but at one point it could happen...

Holy crap Sean Foley killed Willet already. He's out for the year with an injured rotator cuff.

http://www.golfchann...7-season-103017

How long before this hack gets sued?

It's unreal. In fairness to Foley the injury may have been entirely unrelated to the golf, but still.

Im only half serious but at one point it could happen...

No doubt Sean Foley has a death waiver in his contract.

I know Danny. His coach Pete Cowen runs his academy at our local range. As he won, his wife gave birth. His focus changed somewhat. It happens. You dont fluke a masters win. He will be back, although probably not perfect like so many in this thread.

True, though he's now with Sean Foley, not Pete Cowen.

Really? I didnt know, he was still with Pete last time I saw him, probably 7 or 8 weeks ago. Either way nice guy I wish him and his family well.

I know Danny. His coach Pete Cowen runs his academy at our local range. As he won, his wife gave birth. His focus changed somewhat. It happens. You dont fluke a masters win. He will be back, although probably not perfect like so many in this thread.

Really? I didnt know, he was still with Pete last time I saw him, probably 7 or 8 weeks ago. Either way nice guy I wish him and his family well.

Willett left Cowen at the beginning of August.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2017/08/09/danny-willett-splits-pete-cowen-work-former-tiger-woods-coach/

http://www.telegraph...er-woods-coach/

well he was still at Petes place when I càme back from holiday mid september.

http://www.telegraph...er-woods-coach/

well he was still at Petes place when I càme back from holiday mid september.

Doesn't mean that since Willett was there he was getting instruction. Spin it how you wish.

• 1 month later...

Still trying to get mileage off hating Danny Willett because of what his brother said about American golf fans?

There are a lot of one time major championship winners.

It's unfortunate that his brother brought so much negative press. Some people will hold those words against him for the rest of his career.

In his brothers defense it was very funny.

It was!

Dimwit Americans mostly too stupid to get British humor, but it was very clever. It might not have been the brightest idea, knowing the collective intelligence of his target, but very clever and funny all the same. I cracked up reading it.

One thing for sure about British humor. It's never funny.

It really was not that clever. Typical tired sterotypes, true often of course, but not clever humor. Kind of tired. But that was not a big deal. As a previous poster mentioned - the issue was on how Danny handled it and his lack of awareness. I think it illustrated he is not ready to be a big time personality with that kind of media exposure.

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball

It really was not that clever. Typical tired sterotypes, true often of course, but not clever humor. Kind of tired. But that was not a big deal. As a previous poster mentioned - the issue was on how Danny handled it and his lack of awareness. I think it illustrated he is not ready to be a big time personality with that kind of media exposure.

Or he doesn't want it anyway.

Possibly the luckiest? to be fair he won due to a major collapse.

If we are talking 'lucky' major winners I'd nominate Paul Lawrie. I'd go as far as to say he accidentally won it. Had he had any idea of what was about to unfold I don't think he'd have shot anywhere near the score he did.

To be fair Lawrie won a playoff, "lucky" for me are the ones like Simpson and Spieth US Opens, they won it from the locker room

Edited completely due to “ patently false “ data and being “ the worst wrx post ever “.

Apparently willet will win many more majors and I can’t wait to see if willet gets the win this week in Hawaii. ?. Go willet !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

shaun micheel...

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

If we are talking 'lucky' major winners I'd nominate Paul Lawrie. I'd go as far as to say he accidentally won it. Had he had any idea of what was about to unfold I don't think he'd have shot anywhere near the score he did.

To be fair Lawrie won a playoff, "lucky" for me are the ones like Simpson and Spieth US Opens, they won it from the locker room

Don’t know about spieths. After all. Dj has to make a putt to win. And then make a putt to tie. There should have been a playoff yes. But you can’t say dj had it sewed up. Spieth hit just as good of a shot into 18 to post as dj did.

On the other hand. Spieth did have the masters sewn up save for 1 swing. And then came damn close to chasing willet back down. That’s the thing that people forget. Spieth gathered himself and went on a run after the collapse. Just too little too late. If he had 2 more holes he’d have caught willet. Willet was handed the green jacket. Sure he played well enough to win in that scenario. And that’s what history will show. And I have watched him since his early days play. Don’t dislike him because of his brother. But in reality if you erase one brain fart by Spieth willet doesn't get inside 4 strokes of Spieth. Fact.

This is patently untrue.

Don’t know about spieths. After all. Dj has to make a putt to win. And then make a putt to tie. There should have been a playoff yes. But you can’t say dj had it sewed up. Spieth hit just as good of a shot into 18 to post as dj did.

On the other hand. Spieth did have the masters sewn up save for 1 swing. And then came damn close to chasing willet back down. That’s the thing that people forget. Spieth gathered himself and went on a run after the collapse. Just too little too late. If he had 2 more holes he’d have caught willet. Willet was handed the green jacket. Sure he played well enough to win in that scenario. And that’s what history will show. And I have watched him since his early days play. Don’t dislike him because of his brother. But in reality if you erase one brain fart by Spieth willet doesn't get inside 4 strokes of Spieth. Fact.

This is patently untrue.

Please correct me

I don’t dislike willet at all. And if you dig far enough back you’ll find me singing his praises while coming up on the euro tour. A tour I watch everytime it’s on and enjoy. A tour I wish the pga tour were more like. So no euro hater here.

But if Spieth doesn’t dump the first one in the drink willlet wasn’t running him down. No Chance.

Spieth went 1 under with two birdies and a bogey after 12. Willet 3 under. That’s willet making up 2. Erase the quad on 12 and you have willet still a stroke behind. I know that’s all IFSs and BuTTs. Sure. But the point is willet doesn’t win without the gift of the quad. That’s not even factorying in how the meltdown effected the last 6 holes for Spieth. Surely it made them worse. Not better.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Growing up in Scotland and familiar with playing the links courses in severe weather Lawrie would know very well that you can make up 5-10 shots very easily with a good round.

Once he did that he went on a grabbed the win with 2 birdies on the tough playoff holes.

Very much a deserved win.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Growing up in Scotland and familiar with playing the links courses in severe weather Lawrie would know very well that you can make up 5-10 shots very easily with a good round.

Once he did that he went on a grabbed the win with 2 birdies on the tough playoff holes.

Very much a deserved win.

Lawrie's final round was the round of his life and then he went and birdie 17 and 18, the toughest two finishing holes in Scotland. Van de Vedle helped the cause no doubt but Lawrie stepped up and grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Lawrie might not have thought he had a chance of winning the Open in 1999 when he finished his final round but a 67 at Carnoustie that year was like a 62/63 at some of the major venues this year. Final round total was tied at +6, remember this was a tournament where Sergio Garcia shot an 89!

Final rounds of the final groups on Sunday: 77, 72, 73, 77, 74, 74, 70, 72, 75, 76, 78, 74, 75. 67 among that was miles ahead of the average score.

What a silly thread! Every majorly ever won can be based on other players errors if you take the view that it was given to Willett. He's a good player. Remember - HE WAS AT the Masters..... how did that happen ? Lucky dip ?

And when exactly is the cut off point for "backing into a major"? Sunday back nine? Or maybe Saturday on the 14th? No wait, must be Saturday's second shot into number 5.

But these threads pop up every so often. Reminds me of my favourite line ever in a movie:

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." Bullet Tooth Tony.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

Rich Beem could certainly make the list... there was one other guy about 10 years ago that make out of nowhere to win, then disappeared just about as fast after.

Steve Jones US Open?

Jones didn't disappear after winning the US Open. He won 3 times in the following two seasons one of which was an 11 shot win in Phoenix. Jones was a really good player. Better than he gets credit for. Especially after missing 3 years due to a hand injury.

Rich Beem could certainly make the list... there was one other guy about 10 years ago that make out of nowhere to win, then disappeared just about as fast after.

Steve Jones US Open?

Jones didn't disappear after winning the US Open. He won 3 times in the following two seasons one of which was an 11 shot win in Phoenix. Jones was a really good player. Better than he gets credit for. Especially after missing 3 years due to a hand injury.

What is it with you guys? Every time someone comes along with a new nomination for worst major winner ever one of you comes up with some facts that dispute it.

They can't all be good...................................................can they?

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1