3 Iron Utility Advice

MizunoMazz

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice on selecting a new 3 iron utility/ hybrid club. I currently have an old POS TM Burner 3 hybrid wasting space in my bag, and was hoping to fill that spot soon. I currently game Mizuno Mp-25 4-PW - I've got XP105's in those. I hit my irons much better than I've hit any hybrid, so I was looking to stay in the utility iron realm if possible. My ball flight is lower than most, so preferably a club/shaft that has higher launching capabilities would be best.

I have hit the T-MB, Srixon U65, and Mizuno Mp-H5 so far. Looks for me go to T-MB, But the Srixon and Mizuno club had me more intrigued in feel and launch ability. Should there be other clubs on my radar? I am hoping there are some who hit a bunch of these types of clubs and can lend me some advice!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I have played the Srixon U45, TM Udi, Wilson Tour V4, Adams Dhy, Exotics Tungsten Pro and my favorite is the King Utility 3. It just does everything well, looks good to my eye at address and has a very solid feel.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice on selecting a new 3 iron utility/ hybrid club. I currently have an old POS TM Burner 3 hybrid wasting space in my bag, and was hoping to fill that spot soon. I currently game Mizuno Mp-25 4-PW - I've got XP105's in those. I hit my irons much better than I've hit any hybrid, so I was looking to stay in the utility iron realm if possible. My ball flight is lower than most, so preferably a club/shaft that has higher launching capabilities would be best.

I have hit the T-MB, Srixon U65, and Mizuno Mp-H5 so far. Looks for me go to T-MB, But the Srixon and Mizuno club had me more intrigued in feel and launch ability. Should there be other clubs on my radar? I am hoping there are some who hit a bunch of these types of clubs and can lend me some advice!

You have to try the UDI.

The new TMB is already out in Japan. Toppling looks thinner to me, and maybe less offset. In fact, it looks a bit sleeker overall. Not sure of any changes to the tungsten weighting, and I haven't hit the new version yet. I did own a T-MB 2i, which was pretty good, but not the club I was after so I sold it (should have gone with a 3i).

I currently have a Honma TW-U #3 and #4, both shafted with Vizard IB 105X. I'm really pleased with these, and I have tried quite a lot of utility irons: Bridgestone Airmuscle (nice feel, shaft was too soft for me), T-MB 2i, Srixon u45 (pretty good), Adams DHY pro (OK, didn't like feel), Mizuno MP-H4 (good results, but it was a bit short), PRGR, Fourteen, older Srixons, Mizuno Hi-Fli and so on.

I haven't tried the TM UDI nor the newish Cobra driving iron, so I can't comment on those. Out of all those I tried, the Honma has been the best for me. I think the shaft is part of the reason why. It's light so I don't feel I have to work the club too hard in the swing, but stable enough that I can still have a decent lash at it.

In the last few seasons I've had the H4, H5 and UDI.

The H4 was the best of the bunch in every way (regret selling it), and for me it was quite long too. Didn't like H5 much at all.

UDI is a solid all around performer, cleanest looks. I'm still not in love with my current driving irons (check witb), so the 718 T-MB and maybe an updated UDI have my interest too!

If you're into Mizuno's try a Fli-Hi.

I have Mizzy Fli-Hi. 21º.

mp_flihi_back.jpg

Fits in perfectly at the top of my MX-300's. Great sound and ball flight when you sweet-spot. Runs out pretty good if you catch it a little thin.

I wouldn't call it a "bomber". I'd call it a good fit between my 4 iron and my 4 wood.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i ordered the cobra utility. after hitting everything that was available i decided that this one was the best performer. i ordered it with a GD pro x100 shaft.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Can anyone comment on the distance of some of these driving irons? Do any stand out as "bombers"?

When I had hit the T-MB I felt that had slightly more pop than the MP-H5, but that's not to say that the Mizuno did not have some giddy-up either.

The Ping Crossovers do. G400s might be worth a wait and see.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Apex 3-4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 54° S, 60° K

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black R-Line Arrow

If you're into Mizuno's try a Fli-Hi.

I have Mizzy Fli-Hi. 21º.

mp_flihi_back.jpg

Fits in perfectly at the top of my MX-300's. Great sound and ball flight when you sweet-spot. Runs out pretty good if you catch it a little thin.

I wouldn't call it a "bomber". I'd call it a good fit between my 4 iron and my 4 wood.

I have been looking for this exact club- been having difficulties locating it. But yeah- I would prefer to stay in Mizuno to match my MP-25s, but would have no problem with another brand should it be a serious outperformer.

Can anyone comment on the distance of some of these driving irons? Do any stand out as "bombers"?

When I had hit the T-MB I felt that had slightly more pop than the MP-H5, but that's not to say that the Mizuno did not have some giddy-up either.

The Ping Crossovers do. G400s might be worth a wait and see.

I'm a big fan of the G Crossover after trying that, the UDI, and the Apex. Apex and UDI definitely felt better, but performance of the G was in another league for me in terms of ball speed and launch.

TM M5 9* Diamana D+ LTD 70X
TM M5 15* Tour AD-DI 8X
Ping G400 Crossover 19* HZRDUS Black 6.5
TM P750 Tour 4-PW KBS Tour X
Vokey 51, 55, 60* DGTI S400
Odyssey 2-Ball
Snell MTB-X

dont sleep on the king utility.... ive literally owned them all ( TMB thrice, UDI twice, apex , srixon, etc) and its the best for me... mine has a fuji fuel 95X and its a beast off the tee and is pleasantly easy to hit off the deck

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

Titleist 915 FD 13.5 Rombax P95x 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I too have tried too many of these. It pretty much comes down to personal preference. I tried both Cally's and the Apex UT just didn't feel great for me. It was a long time ago and people seem to love it still, so maybe I just had the wrong shaft in there. I also tried the previous one but can't remember the name of it. That one felt wonderful and was great, except it went nowhere for me. I could hit the 21 and my 5 iron the same distance, so it just wasn't practical. Also it was hideous. The 712U also didn't feel great to me and I didn't get the distance. I tried the DHY's and while they feel absolutely terrible, they are serviceable. I just can't really tell if I hit it good or bad, because they both feel the same. It goes a decent amount and I can control it. The only problem is I can't hit it off a tee for the life of me. So I have a King Utility coming and that is my last ditch effort to get one I can hit off the ground and off the tee. At this point I almost want to find a matching 4 iron for my set since I hit my 5 iron so well.

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

I too have tried too many of these. It pretty much comes down to personal preference. I tried both Cally's and the Apex UT just didn't feel great for me. It was a long time ago and people seem to love it still, so maybe I just had the wrong shaft in there. I also tried the previous one but can't remember the name of it. That one felt wonderful and was great, except it went nowhere for me. I could hit the 21 and my 5 iron the same distance, so it just wasn't practical. Also it was hideous. The 712U also didn't feel great to me and I didn't get the distance. I tried the DHY's and while they feel absolutely terrible, they are serviceable. I just can't really tell if I hit it good or bad, because they both feel the same. It goes a decent amount and I can control it. The only problem is I can't hit it off a tee for the life of me. So I have a King Utility coming and that is my last ditch effort to get one I can hit off the ground and off the tee. At this point I almost want to find a matching 4 iron for my set since I hit my 5 iron so well.

I guess I found out why so many of these feel so terrible. I am a toe striker, my Legacy Blacks like being hit off the toe. So I have to adjust my swing slightly to hit anything else (you would think that I would just change my swing to hit the middle!). I only had the King Utility in the bag, but I was able to make a better strike and it felt better. Hitting the King Utility off the toe feels horrible by the way, it goes decent still but feels like you are hitting range balls off the cart path.

TM M4 8.5 Atmos Red

TM Original One Mini 13.5 Diamana F

TM Sim TI 5 wood Diamana F

Sub 70 TAIII 4&5 KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 649 6-P KBS $-Taper Lite

Sub 70 286 50,54 KBS $-Taper Lite

Edel D-Grind 58 KBS Tour Rev 2.0

LAB Directed Force 2.1 73* 

have tried several including Tour Authentic, X prototype Utility & Apex UT, all in 21º, 3i length. settled with Apex UT. superior to all, mostly in forgiving & versatility categories. been recommending it to everyone i met. off the tee, on the deck as well as some in the rough, so so good. when i didn't bring the putter, it served on the green with surprising result, too.

in the distance department however, IMO, hard to say it's a real bomb launcher or not. yardage from long irons & woods seems get affected more by the swing not the club. really. i don't think it really differs by the manufacturer of the club.

Callaway Rogue SZ TC 9.0º + House of Forged Tour Black 55 SS 

Callaway Rogue SZ TC 14.7º + Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 6X

Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid #2 18º + NS PRO 950FW X

Nike VFP 4 + Accra TourZ M5

Nike VFP 5 + Mocus3 Tour 105 X, VPF 6–PW + Modus3 Tour 120 X  

Scratch 8620 47º + DG S200,  8620 50º, STI 60º + DG TI S400

Edel The "Gold" Brick 1/100

I'm using an M2 4 iron bent 1 degree strong to 18 degrees. It's a great club with exception to the face slot issue. The face of the club is slightly concaved near the toe, but it still performs. I'll probably send it back to TM for a warranty replacement eventually.

Sounds more like a 2 iron

Sim 2 Max 10.5 Tensei CK Blue 60X
3 Wood - Titleist TSI 2 - 15 degree (C4) - Tensei CK Blue 70X

Titleist 816 H2 - 21 (C1) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1X 2021

Hello all,

I play a 712U which i love. I ALMOST replaced it with a Srixon U65 - sick club. I decided against it because there was just nothing wrong with the 712U. . There's another T-MB coming out as someone else mentioned, but I'm not convinced those are true utility irons. They are tweeners in my opinion.

I've used the MP Fli Hi 4i - 2i. I highly recommend this club.

Hit 'em good

Driver: MacGregor Tourney Velocitized persimmon

4w & 5w: MacGregor Tourney Velocitized persimmon

4i - pw:  Wilson Staff 1969 Dynapower Bulletback

Sand wedge: Wilson Staff Dyna-powered 56°
Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Soft / Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)