PGA Superstore fitting, waste of money?

MizunoLaxer40

Hey everyone. Long story short, i'm not in much of a financial position these days where I can justify spending thousands on a fitting and new clubs. my idea was to get fit (affordably) at a place like the PGA superstore, then try to get the clubs used. is this a horrible idea? are those fittings typically done by people who don't know what they're doing? is it not worth doing the fitting process until you can afford to "do it right" at one of these high end fitting spots? i'm in the lower NY area if that helps. any insight or experience sharing would be great!

TM Aeroburner 10.5* Stiff
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 17* Stiff
Ping G25 20* Stiff
Titleist 712 AP1 4-AW w/ NS Pro 950GH
Titleist Vokey SM5 54*F and 60*K
Cleveland Classic HB 10 Milled Putter

I did that in Arizona. Had an iron fitting and driver fitting at the Callaway Performance center.

I just wanted to see what shafts I needed to be playing in my irons and shaft head combo in the driver.

I believe it was 75 bucks for each fitting.

I then went on the bay to get the driver stock combo and I bought the iron shafts this way as well.

I have the ability to change out the iron shafts myself, so that saved me even more money.

I don't trust most big box stores in that regard, so you'll have to do a bit of research in your area to find someone/someplace that is good.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

In my experience, big box stores will charge you for a fitting if you don't buy clubs through them. While I don't know what PGASS would charge I'm sure its less than a high end fitter.

That said, I did the exact same thing with Club Champion when they did their 50% off promo this past winter and it has worked out great. Now while they're pricier than a big box store I did prefer knowing I was paying for a fitting without any added pressure to purchase clubs from them. Since they charge for fittings they get guys like us all the time so they are much more relaxed about purchasing clubs. Plus, from what I've read, big box fitters are a gamble. You may get an awesome fitting, you may also get an awful one. At least with a higher end place you know you're getting a quality fitting with a mutual understanding that all you're paying for is that fitting.

I am a fitter at a big box store, every one at our stores knows their stuff (and no one works on commission), but some know more than others and have more experience doing fittings. The best fitters are usually there on weekends, that being said weekends are usually the busiest days. The best way to get a good fitter at a big box store is to ask around usually someone will have an opinion on a fitter at the store and that is the best way to find out who at the store is the best. You can also ask to see which fitters are certified for certain clubs, if they are certified then they are typically going to be better than average fitters. That being said I have seen places like club champion completely screw over customers that have no clue what they are doing. For example I had a customer come in with an epic driver with a 45 gram regular Oban shaft, when the customer clearly needed a stiff heavy shaft and would have been fine with a stock shaft. Often times places like club champion work off commission, and thus really try to upsell often not to the benefit of the customer.

• Thanks 1

IMO there's two ways to do a fitting, the cheap but longer way or the expensive but quick (correct) way

1) Self fit via demo days, and/or trolling big chain stores - Go to various demo days and golf stores to troll the employees with no intent to buy. Club and shaft selection is poor to mediocre. Gives you an idea or what you like based purely on feel. Then go to ebay and buy stuff to try and maybe sell. Rinse and repeat. May take months, or even up to a year before it feels and plays perfect.

2) Club champion/golf course - Show up one day, pay maybe $350-400 bucks but try a massive variety of clubs and shafts, full bag fitting all at once. Real numbers based approach along with feels. Get fit for specifics like length, lie, loft, grip type, grip size. Ability to buy clubs on the spot, or order and pick up a week or two later. No questions or doubts about specs, and often times warranty on the service/clubs.

I am a fitter at a big box store, every one at our stores knows their stuff (and no one works on commission), but some know more than others and have more experience doing fittings. The best fitters are usually there on weekends, that being said weekends are usually the busiest days. The best way to get a good fitter at a big box store is to ask around usually someone will have an opinion on a fitter at the store and that is the best way to find out who at the store is the best. You can also ask to see which fitters are certified for certain clubs, if they are certified then they are typically going to be better than average fitters. That being said I have seen places like club champion completely screw over customers that have no clue what they are doing. For example I had a customer come in with an epic driver with a 45 gram regular Oban shaft, when the customer clearly needed a stiff heavy shaft and would have been fine with a stock shaft. Often times places like club champion work off commission, and thus really try to upsell often not to the benefit of the customer.

I am also a fitter at a big box store and what Mjos just said is accurate. Ask around about the fitters in the PGATSS in your area before writing them off. And for the record, there are two ways to get fit with the store. There's the Tour Van experience, where you'll have a master fitter who will charge by the type of fitting (more $$$) or a "regular" fit that can be just as informative and FREE. The major difference is that the Tour Van fitter goes through pretty extensive training on the launch monitor and software and they use more in-depth software than the regular fitters. I haven't had a customer yet to tell me that they weren't satisfied with the service I provided them and I get recommended for fittings based on word of mouth.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

"goes through pretty extensive training on the launch monitor and software and they use more in-depth software than the regular fitters."

^^This, plus an outdoor grass ball flight analysis after the launch monitor to verify....if at all possible

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

I am also a fitter at a big box store and what Mjos just said is accurate. Ask around about the fitters in the PGATSS in your area before writing them off. And for the record, there are two ways to get fit with the store. There's the Tour Van experience, where you'll have a master fitter who will charge by the type of fitting (more $$$) or a "regular" fit that can be just as informative and FREE. The major difference is that the Tour Van fitter goes through pretty extensive training on the launch monitor and software and they use more in-depth software than the regular fitters. I haven't had a customer yet to tell me that they weren't satisfied with the service I provided them and I get recommended for fittings based on word of mouth.

I've had the tour van fitting. I think with the right fitter, it's a pretty decent experience for indoors only type of situation. However, the guy who I was working with wouldn't listen to me - I told him I hated the shaft he was recommending me, but he just kept saying I "need a low spin" shaft because my numbers were too high. He also told me I needing something "forgiving" so put me in a Big Bertha Fusion cranked down to 8* loft, even though I was constantly cutting everything (did he realize he was opening the club face even more by doing this??). I was so pissed I almost felt like asking for my money back, simply because the guy wasn't listening to me, and my flight wasn't any better after leaving. I assume that if he gave me a 9* head and actually lofted UP to close the face a tad, and gave me something with a little more activity in the tip, I could have squared up easier, took a smoother swing, and got better numbers. But instead I had to try to over power that set up to feel like I could hit the ball straight, and ended up pulling the club face through...

Not saying the tour van experience isn't fine, but it really requires a good fitter and isn't as "idiot proof" like SAM putt lab or something. Especially because they did not use HMT or anything, so the only real data I was shown was my distance, spin, and dynamic loft.

Ultimately he told me to buy the BB fusion 9* head cranked down to 8* with a 65x Hzrdus black. Literally the worst recommendation ever for my swing at that time. I don't think my swing has changed a ton, but I managed to end up in the right set up later on which feels so much more natural.

alright i'm kind of leaning towards avoiding this then. I'm just worried these upscale spots will try to force you into buying a set there, but i'll just have to be stern and let it be known early. thanks for the help everyone

Ping G25 20* Stiff

Are you gonna get fitted at the Westbury PGASS?

Yes was considering it, any insight?

Went through a driver fitting at PGASS in NJ i.e. their tour van experience. I wouldn't recommend getting fit at a big box retailer. I had a very disappointing experience. You get what you pay for.

The one in Paramus? That's where I went. See my story above.

alright i'm kind of leaning towards avoiding this then. I'm just worried these upscale spots will try to force you into buying a set there, but i'll just have to be stern and let it be known early. thanks for the help everyone

I've had multiple fittings at Club Champion which is probably just under the level of "upscale" that a private club might offer. They did not try to sell me on anything after any of my fittings, even though they stock stuff like PXG, Miura, Scotty, Betti, etc.

The guys there go through a lot of training before they are certified fitters. I'm assuming it's more than what the guys at PGATSS and Golf Galaxy go through... In fact I know it is because the guy who fit me at Club Champ both times, used to work at GG and said CC is much better. He spent a month or so out in Chicago getting training.

Also at CC, I was put on track man and was given access to probably 3x as many shafts and heads. The tour van stuff is much more limited, so the chances of getting the exact fit you need diminish. I don't want to knock anybody here who may be a tour van fitter, I'm just pointing out my experiences doing both.

I've had multiple fittings at Club Champion which is probably just under the level of "upscale" that a private club might offer. They did not try to sell me on anything after any of my fittings, even though they stock stuff like PXG, Miura, Scotty, Betti, etc.

The guys there go through a lot of training before they are certified fitters. I'm assuming it's more than what the guys at PGATSS and Golf Galaxy go through... In fact I know it is because the guy who fit me at Club Champ both times, used to work at GG and said CC is much better. He spent a month or so out in Chicago getting training.

Also at CC, I was put on track man and was given access to probably 3x as many shafts and heads. The tour van stuff is much more limited, so the chances of getting the exact fit you need diminish. I don't want to knock anybody here who may be a tour van fitter, I'm just pointing out my experiences doing both.

Oh that dreaded word that starts with Word not allowed...LOL! I'm not defending the PGATSS but please don't compare it to GG. They are not the same in terms of their approach on the business.

OP, ultimately it's your coin and you have to make the best decision for you. If you decide to avoid a store like the PGATSS based on a few opinions on this thread then do so knowing that a small percentage of guys on here shared their negative experiences. We should know that we (speaking for the US citizens) love to complain about the bad, and often exaggerate the not so bad into a really bad experience. Again, spend your money as you see fit, but my recommendation is to go into the PGATSS and at least see what they tell you. It's free, so what do you have to lose? Go first thing on a Saturday or Sunday morning so you don't have to wait and you catch the fitters bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Whatever you choose to do, please let us know of your experience.

Juice

TaylorMade Spider Black

Trackman indoor/outdoor:

Novo Golf - indoor garage hitting to outdoor for ball flight analysis

Trackman indoor:

Club Champion @ NJ

Club Champion @ Long Island

Petes Golf @ Westbury Long island

All have trackman and have a lot of options to try, no need to buy if you're only going for fitting. Well worth the fitting compared to PGASS.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Are you gonna get fitted at the Westbury PGASS?

Yes was considering it, any insight?

Went through a driver fitting at PGASS in NJ i.e. their tour van experience. I wouldn't recommend getting fit at a big box retailer. I had a very disappointing experience. You get what you pay for.

The one in Paramus? That's where I went. See my story above.

Yup. I was recommended the m1 with hzurdus yellow. That combo was extremely low spinning for my swing. Seems the fitter there likes to put people into low spinning equipment .

Oh that dreaded word that starts with Word not allowed...LOL! I'm not defending the PGATSS but please don't compare it to GG. They are not the same in terms of their approach on the business.

OP, ultimately it's your coin and you have to make the best decision for you. If you decide to avoid a store like the PGATSS based on a few opinions on this thread then do so knowing that a small percentage of guys on here shared their negative experiences. We should know that we (speaking for the US citizens) love to complain about the bad, and often exaggerate the not so bad into a really bad experience. Again, spend your money as you see fit, but my recommendation is to go into the PGATSS and at least see what they tell you. It's free, so what do you have to lose? Go first thing on a Saturday or Sunday morning so you don't have to wait and you catch the fitters bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Whatever you choose to do, please let us know of your experience.

Juice

Yes Word not allowedumptions are bad I know, but I've had first hand experience in all 3 stores now and the free stuff at various demo days... Golfsmith, etc.

FWIW, this is probably what will happen in a FREE demo at PGATSS:

Walk in... they ask you what you play now and your HC. If you say a high HC, they give you the most forgiving head out at that time and an R flex shaft. If you say a low HC, they give you an Epic SZ/M1 and whatever the lowest spinning shaft is in the little rack. Hit it a bunch... Maybe you toss in another shaft or two. Which set up went further? That's what they tell you to buy. They also have a very limited selection of X flex shafts, so if you're a high SS guy, I wouldn't attempt to base a purchase off the free stuff.

The free "fitting" is not even close to what a real fitting is. The tour van I would say is a pretty much full on fitting, but the selection isn't as much as Club Champ/local golf course, and...well the fitter has a very important role, too. I think the free stuff is great for when you just want to get an idea of the shape, sound and feel of a certain club, but nothing else. If you know what you're doing, you can get a little bit of insight like, hey this head is super fade biased for me... or wow this thing sounds nice, but you just can't optimize things in there.

I'm in Atlanta and can't speak for your experiences in NJ, but based on how things are done where I am, you just made another Word not allowedumption. We go into more detail with the free fittings, but understand, with a free fitting, an associate can't spend an hour or two with the customer because we have more customers that want free fittings. And the selection of heads and shafts are based on what the OEMs provide (minus what's stolen...yes, some golfers steal club heads and shafts). The Tour Van experience has pretty much everything that can be offered for the OEMs that are shared in that pod.

Again, I don't know what experience you had, but based on what I know about people's experiences, somewhere between your perception and what the associate offered is what really happened. :)

TaylorMade Spider Black

Well it's NJ, what can you expect....everybody here is in a hurry ;) we don't have that southern charm.

The free fittings at PGATSS or GG or anywhere... it's 15 mins or less. In fact, they literally set a timer at PGATSS here and when it's up, you get booted out. In my experience the van fitting has a pretty good selection of shafts, but they don't have the "exotic" stuff on hand like Oban, Graphite Design, etc. Not saying one needs those, but... if for just $50 more you can get a chance to try 15 other shafts that could be better fit, plus hit on trackman, I'd take that offer.

I'm glad you all do things better down south, because up here, free fittings are somewhat worthless, especially if you swing >105mph on your driver. Remind me next time I'm in ATL to come swing by, I'd love to pay less money and get more out of a demo.

When I did mine at Club Champion I directly told the guy at the beginning that I wasn't interested in PXG, Miura, etc. Because I knew that 1. I couldn't afford it and 2. I knew I was going to buy slightly used and retrofit which would be difficult to do with more exotic irons.

When I was done he did go over my spec sheet and cost of the clubs like any other salesman waiting to have me take out my credit card. However I just did the old "gotta talk it over with my wife first" which he understood. I knew once I got out the door that I wasn't coming back but I had my spec sheet in hand and just brought it to a local club maker who bent to spec. In the end I saved about $1300 from what CC was going to charge me.

Just remember, you're in control of the fitting. If you only want to try irons with dynamic golds then tell the fitter and that's what they'll do. If you choose not to lay that out then they'll try everything to find out what works best and not concern themselves with price.

really some awesome info here from everyone for me to think over. basically leaning towards maybe paying a bit more for a good fitting then retro fitting with used stuff. will still check out PGASS to ask around a bit. appreciate it!

Ping G25 20* Stiff

• 1 month later...

make sure to ask at some of your local courses. You would be surprised at who is willing to help you. Most of the guys know who can do fittings and I have had the pros at a couple different courses give me contact info on specific reps who will come to the course with trackman if I was looking at a certain brand.