2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fighting Heat Exhaustion

LUMA

Living in Florida, when summertime hits, I usually refuse to play unless I tee off in the morning, or tee off after 6pm. I simply cannot handle the middle of the day heat during our summers. I played yesterday against my concerns middle of the day and like usual, paid the price after only 11 holes. After I got home last evening I was completely destroyed with a heat headache all over. This isn't lack of hydration because I try to keep a ton of 50/50 Gatoraid/water mix going in constantly. I'm fine if I tee off in the am or after 6 into the evening.

How do you guys deal with heat like this middle of the day? I can't seem to do it without getting heat exhaustion.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Southwest Florida, it is so hot and humid, I try and be done by noon at the latest. Also, it is cart golf, so no walking. Plenty of water, full brim hat to keep sun off head, neck and ears. Ice towel over my neck. It is tough, I agree.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

As mentioned a cold, wet towel around your neck is a must have. If the towel is long enough you can tuck the ends underneath your polo and play that way without interfering with your swing. Refresh often. It also helps to hydrate well before you walk out of the house. Load up early so you don't have a hydration deficit when you hit your first tee shot.

I have played quite a bit of desert golf (low humidity, 100s temp) and sauna conditions in TX, FL, etc... (high humidity, 90s temp). Keeping blood cool and lots of hydration are the key. I also revert to riding in a cart once it gets in the 90s.

The key is lots of water, moving slow, and NOT walking. I have been playing Gainesville CC pretty much every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the last couple of months, mostly in the afternoon. It definitely gets to me but Im OK. Better than not playing golf. When I do yardwork in the same conditions, then I can start to feel heat stroke kind of symptoms like dizzyness, fatigue, etc. But golf is ok.

Are you walking? There is no way I could do it here in the afternoons.

Last week I had to cut a round short after getting sick, (shaky, dizzy, headache, weak nauseous,and threw up) just out of nowhere, I thought it was maybe heat exhaustion, but I ended up in the ER the next day still sick. It ended up being hyponatremia, very low sodium level in my blood. Seems that can affect you too, and it just came to a head while I had been playing. Plus I had been drinking too much bottled water (filtered) with no minerals lately, so my body wasn't getting some of the natural things it needed. I didn't realize just what low sodium level could do to you, but I feel so much better this week. So I am drinking Gatorade as well, yes there is sugar in it but sodium and electrolytes as well. Just my story, not sure if this would apply to anyone else, but hydration in terms of water, especially too much may be flushing other needed nutrients right out of your body. So yeah, be careful that it might not be heat exhaustion but something else, or at least get it checked out.

http://www.medicinenet.com/hyponatremia/article.htm

1. Hydration, hydration, hydration and not just during the round. If you know you're going to be playing in the heat, you need to start hydrating about it 2-3 days before.

2. Snack. Your body works overtime in extreme heat and burns up fuel in a hurry.

3. Keep a cool towel and wrap it around you neck. There's some great products out there for this now.

4. Find shade every chance you get.

5. Light colored, lightweight clothing.

When are you hydrating? Just during the round?

Need to properly hydrate every day in a climate like Gainesviile - not just during the round.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Last week I had to cut a round short after getting sick, (shaky, dizzy, headache, weak nauseous,and threw up) just out of nowhere, I thought it was maybe heat exhaustion, but I ended up in the ER the next day still sick. It ended up being hyponatremia, very low sodium level in my blood. Seems that can affect you too, and it just came to a head while I had been playing. Plus I had been drinking too much bottled water (filtered) with no minerals lately, so my body wasn't getting some of the natural things it needed. I didn't realize just what low sodium level could do to you, but I feel so much better this week. So I am drinking Gatorade as well, yes there is sugar in it but sodium and electrolytes as well. Just my story, not sure if this would apply to anyone else, but hydration in terms of water, especially too much may be flushing other needed nutrients right out of your body. So yeah, be careful that it might not be heat exhaustion but something else, or at least get it checked out.

http://www.medicinen...mia/article.htm

Drinking G2s helps some with the sugar. I use Propel in the packets. Keep a bunch in my bag plus a 24 oz insulated bottle. Fill the bottle with cold water on the course, add powder, shake it up, and drink. No calories, but supposedly has all the electrolytes. It is also convenient for me.

What kind of shape are you in? When I was bigger I struggled occasionally with the heat in South Carolina. With me dieting and exercising it has helped get through those last few holes where the heat index is 100+. As mentioned hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I am going to take this advice for my rounds this weekend about electrolytes, towels, etc.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Deff hydrate before. I drink a lot of water anyways. I used to do the wet towel so I need to go back to doing that. Very much in shape. 33 years old, 5'9 150lb. I also do bring snacks. Usually a cliff bar and maybe a banana/apple/pineapple chunks. And no... no walking for me during the summer months lol. I think I'm going to continue to stay away from mid-day summer rounds and stick to mornings and evenings.

The key is lots of water, moving slow, and NOT walking. I have been playing Gainesville CC pretty much every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the last couple of months

We should hook up and play one day. Im planning to head over there to GCC Wednesday afternoon. I heard they just punched the greens tho... :glare:

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

lots of good info above. I'd add (along the lines of electrolyte pills by coop25) Nunn tablets. they're small/easy to keep in the bag and you can mix into a bottle of water anytime. no sugar/not too sweet. don't taste awesome but when it's hot anything wet tastes ok. You can easily break the tablets in half if needed. I'm sure there's other similar products but Nunn is what I'm familiar with.

Almost as important as water is your sodium levels. A bottle of water before hand and getting it in throughout the round is good but also make sure that you're replenishing your electrolytes/sodium. Sweating loses those and drinking excessive water can reduce the sodium levels more. Basically, whenever I'm doing a hot/humid round in Florida or Alabama I'll always grab a bag of chips at some point early in the round.

Lots of comments on staying hydrated and drinking water. But

A study was done during triathlons and marathons and what they found was that due to a lot of advertising and constant recommendations of drinking lots of fluids during these events that , yes, they avoided dehydration but brought about numerous cases of hyponatremia. When this occurs you've basically drank so much fluid that you have unbalanced your salinity and can no longer absorb the fluids. You have to balance the fluids and salt intake. It is different in everyone. There is no set formula. I spent many hours training for ironman races and trying to figure out the fluid/salt/food intake to go along with the calories burned and sweat rate. It was more about that then training for speed.

You need to experiment and find the formula that works for you. As I said, everyone is different.

A study was done during triathlons and marathons and what they found was that due to a lot of advertising and constant recommendations of drinking lots of fluids during these events that , yes, they avoided dehydration but brought about numerous cases of hyponatremia. When this occurs you've basically drank so much fluid that you have unbalanced your salinity and can no longer absorb the fluids. You have to balance the fluids and salt intake. It is different in everyone. There is no set formula. I spent many hours training for ironman races and trying to figure out the fluid/salt/food intake to go along with the calories burned and sweat rate. It was more about that then training for speed.

You need to experiment and find the formula that works for you. As I said, everyone is different.

This is true. This is why I like to do a 30% gatorade 70% water mix. Its got electrolytes, sugars, and sodium in it. Regardless of what many expert may say, if I stick to only water, when I hit the turn, a cold Coca-cola or Snickers gets my body moving again.

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

I use Nuun tablets some, but what are some other sources of electrolytes/sodium that people use? I struggle with this issue. Not just when playing golf but when running too. I drink water throughout my days in the office and I wonder if I am drinking too much water and not enough sodium. Is it as simple as just eating some table salt?

This is true. This is why I like to do a 30% gatorade 70% water mix. Its got electrolytes, sugars, and sodium in it. Regardless of what many expert may say, if I stick to only water, when I hit the turn, a cold Coca-cola or Snickers gets my body moving again.

After racing for 12 straight hours we always started drinking cokes with a few miles left in the run. If you start too early you'll actually hit a bonk after the cokes wear off. We started drinking them for a pic-me-up with about 5-6 miles left.

When I had 2-3 hour workouts planned I mixed Gatorade and 5-Hour Energy's. I also carried a water bottle of "flat" coke. Open the bottle the night before and then fill the bottle to carry on the bike.

Candy bars never tasted so good after a 2.4 mile swim and then a pick-up bag of food at mile 65 of the 112 mile bike ride. That Hersey's bar was totally awesome!!!

Live in Tampa area and this hits home. 1st year was almost impossible to deal with the heat. Have learned 2 drink 1 Gatorade before the round, have 2 full large waters for holes 1-9, Gatorade and snack at turn then 2 more large waters for the last 9 at a minimum. I play between 11am and 3pm 3 to 5 days a week and this regimen has worked well FWIW.

I walk in desert conditions all year - summer included. Not during the hottest part of the day, tho.

If you only drink water, or minimal electrolyte replacement, you are in for a rude awakening. Liquids during this type of activity need to have electrolytes in them, and you still need to eat something salty. I have found that a banana before the round, a granola bar (or two) at the turn, and some sweet stuff (candy bar, fruit snack, whatever) are very important to making sure I can make it thru the round and still do what I need to do for the rest of the day.

Big hat, shade, cold towel and light clothing are all important and really make a difference.

It doesn't matter what kind of shape you are in, if you don't replenish your electrolytes, you will "go to ground."

I don't think it's overly complicated though there is some science to it obviously. Just make sure you have eaten something and are drinking enough, get in the shade when you can.

It helps being in good shape. I imagine that helps keep your heart rate in check when you start getting hot and sweating, since you are more accustomed to it. I don't know that that's true....but i feel like since i got in much better shape it's a lot easier

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I forgot how amazing a wet microfiber towel is!!! Played today from 2-5pm. Also picked up some nuun tabs and mixed with 64 oz of water during the round. No issues today!

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F