Perplexed. Was I Wrong?

A couple of weeks back I did the same on a par 4. Perfect wind and ground conditions made a good drive go a LOT farther than normal and it ended up on the green.

One of the guys stood there and waited for me to come up. Arms folded, a good scolding was apparently coming. He asked me how old I was and then said, "That was a helluva shot." Of course, I beagled the hole thank you very little.

Are you playing those 220 yard par fours again DP?!�� "beagled" the hole? I've seen you post that twice now (I'm guessing something about turning an eagle putt into a bogey?)

Actually Sir, it was 327, 20MPH straight down wind and about 30 yards short of the green was extremely firm.

It was a 3 tier green...pin in the far back and I left the eagle putt about 10 feet short, the birdie putt about 6 inches right.

It could "be an eagle"...is shortened to beagle when you 3 jack the hole.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe some of the responses if someone rolls one on due to a low odds shot. The keys are rolling and accidentally from an awesome shot. If I know there is a decent possibility that I can get there by rolling it on, then I'll wait. But in very low odds, I may hit and apologize if needed, but an no point is anyone in danger --and that is the key.

I once saw DJ roll one onto a par 4 green while guys were putting. No one freaked out, no one stepped on his ball or threw it in the hazard, and neither should the guy that did this to the OP and neither should you. Everyone just needs to chill and assume it was by accident first and not on purpose. Again before anyone freaks out on me, we are talking about rolling balls not on the fly.

"I told him no (truthfully even) but then told him that if I did I'd be sure to send it to meet my ball."

Very funny, well said.

Last weekend I was playing with my son (who is 10) on a Saturday morning, very busy. We were in no way playing slow. On a par 4 we teed off and got up to our balls. As we were waiting for the green to clear to hit our approach shots a ball whizzed right over our cart and landed 5 yards in front of us. I instructed my son to run over the ball so it was nice and mashed into the ground. "Why dad?" He says. "Because those guys hit into us." The guys teeing off behind us could see us as well, it should be noted.

When the gentlemen walked up to his ball he looked at it a bit perplexed and then looked up at me on the green. I looked at him and he looked at his ball. Point taken I think. Subtle, non confrontational, harmless.

So the lesson to your son was two wrongs make a right?? All sorts of teachable moments there but I don't think that was one of them.

So we're waiting for par 4's to clear the green before we hit now? That's complete BS. I hope I'm never in a group behind you.

Unless you can fly it on the green, you hit.

I know most of this thread is a brag post, but you never said how far the hole is. That also matters. You're going to roll one across the green a much higher percentage of the time on a 270 yard par 4 than a 330 yard par 4. If you're going to roll it on the green 80% of the time, you should likely wait. If you're going to roll it on 5% of the time, swing away.

Respectfully disagree, rationalization of yardages and probabilities notwithstanding. Say he ends up blasting a guy in the head due to a particularly well-struck shot/large gust of wind/ball hits sprinkler head/insert other freak occurrence here - are you going to say to him "Sorry man, I figured there was only a 1 in 20 chance I'd hit the green!"

You never know what "the absolute best" your ball might do... your previous absolute best was better than the absolute best before that one occurred, right? How do you gauge "non-dangerous" roll? If your ball rolled all the way to the back of or over the green would that have been wrong? I'm just saying there's a lot of grey area which is easily avoidable by simply waiting. If the group behind you has an issue with it... oh well. I've waited for numerous par-4 and 5 greens to clear, often to the chagrin of the group behind me. I've also missed the green on the majority of those shots, but getting on was certainly in the realm of possibility.

OP knew there was a likelihood of reaching given the particular conditions that day. He should have waited, even we're talking

If there is a group playing an adjacent hole do you wait for them, too? I mean there's a chance you could hook or slice one into the adjacent fairway. There is also the absolute worst your ball could do, too.

Depends. Are you TRYING to hit in to the adjacent fairway? I would call that occurrence an "accident".

When you actually reach the green you're aiming at and intending to hit, it's a completely different scenario.

Well, there is intent and there are probabilities.

By your logic, I should wait on the par 4 green but hit away when there are folks in the adjacent fairway. It's a higher probability I will slice it into the next fairway than drive it onto the green on a par 4. So, don't play the probabilities but stick to some notion of intent.

I played last week at twilight. Putting out on the 6th hole when a family appeared from the woods. Parents and two young kids. Kids were about 10 and 12 years old. Two bags of golf clubs. Don't think they were on the course legitimately. I was hoping they didn't jump off the 7th tee in front of my group. They waited next to the tee for my group and as we approached, they asked if their kids could hit with us. I told them no. They can't jump in and we have people behind us we can't delay. They said "fine, just asking" and walked down the cart path. Now, what would you do? Wait for them to get out of range or hit and hope you don't hit them?

A couple of weeks back I did the same on a par 4. Perfect wind and ground conditions made a good drive go a LOT farther than normal and it ended up on the green.

One of the guys stood there and waited for me to come up. Arms folded, a good scolding was apparently coming. He asked me how old I was and then said, "That was a helluva shot." Of course, I beagled the hole thank you very little.

Are you playing those 220 yard par fours again DP?!�� "beagled" the hole? I've seen you post that twice now (I'm guessing something about turning an eagle putt into a bogey?)

Actually Sir, it was 327, 20MPH straight down wind and about 30 yards short of the green was extremely firm.

It was a 3 tier green...pin in the far back and I left the eagle putt about 10 feet short, the birdie putt about 6 inches right.

It could "be an eagle"...is shortened to beagle when you 3 jack the hole.

Still a good drive!

So we're waiting for par 4's to clear the green before we hit now? That's complete BS. I hope I'm never in a group behind you.

I know most of this thread is a brag post, but you never said how far the hole is. That also matters. You're going to roll one across the green a much higher percentage of the time on a 270 yard par 4 than a 330 yard par 4. If you're going to roll it on the green 80% of the time, you should likely wait. If you're going to roll it on 5% of the time, swing away.

Respectfully disagree, rationalization of yardages and probabilities notwithstanding. Say he ends up blasting a guy in the head due to a particularly well-struck shot/large gust of wind/ball hits sprinkler head/insert other freak occurrence here - are you going to say to him "Sorry man, I figured there was only a 1 in 20 chance I'd hit the green!"

You never know what "the absolute best" your ball might do... your previous absolute best was better than the absolute best before that one occurred, right? How do you gauge "non-dangerous" roll? If your ball rolled all the way to the back of or over the green would that have been wrong? I'm just saying there's a lot of grey area which is easily avoidable by simply waiting. If the group behind you has an issue with it... oh well. I've waited for numerous par-4 and 5 greens to clear, often to the chagrin of the group behind me. I've also missed the green on the majority of those shots, but getting on was certainly in the realm of possibility.

OP knew there was a likelihood of reaching given the particular conditions that day. He should have waited, even we're talking

If there is a group playing an adjacent hole do you wait for them, too? I mean there's a chance you could hook or slice one into the adjacent fairway. There is also the absolute worst your ball could do, too.

Depends. Are you TRYING to hit in to the adjacent fairway? I would call that occurrence an "accident".

When you actually reach the green you're aiming at and intending to hit, it's a completely different scenario.

Well, there is intent and there are probabilities.

By your logic, I should wait on the par 4 green but hit away when there are folks in the adjacent fairway. It's a higher probability I will slice it into the next fairway than drive it onto the green on a par 4. So, don't play the probabilities but stick to some notion of intent.

I played last week at twilight. Putting out on the 6th hole when a family appeared from the woods. Parents and two young kids. Kids were about 10 and 12 years old. Two bags of golf clubs. Don't think they were on the course legitimately. I was hoping they didn't jump off the 7th tee in front of my group. They waited next to the tee for my group and as we approached, they asked if their kids could hit with us. I told them no. They can't jump in and we have people behind us we can't delay. They said "fine, just asking" and walked down the cart path. Now, what would you do? Wait for them to get out of range or hit and hope you don't hit them?

Weird story but I don't agree with your logic of probability is higher of slicing and hitting into some guy in the adjacent fairway versus hitting a great drive and hitting into the group ahead of you.

A slice is an unintentional shot versus a shot into the group ahead of you which is intentional. People know their distances and most of us have heard the classic "shucks man, didn't know I had it in me to hit the green" just after a ball drops or rolls up to within 5 feet of you. BS

Gentelemen:

I believe some are missing the point here. Several things happened and each one is an independent event.

1. - Hitting into a group it’s never right. It doesn’t make any difference if we’re talking about a drivable par 4, a short par three or a par 5 that not even Dustin Johnson could reach in 2… What matters is that it’s a golf shot that, considering the conditions and assuming a good stroke (perhaps a lucky bounce), had a reasonable chance to reach other players, even if it merely arrived rolling, a few yards short of where they are. As someone said: if you’ll be less than 50 yards from the group ahead, wait (there are always sprinkler heads, cart paths, etc. where your ball might gain 30 or 40 yards)

2. - If your ball is a hook or a slice and it goes to the adjacent fairway, everyone will understand that it’s an accident and you never meant to hit that way. That is a very different scenario... and a more frequent one as well, but people understand.

3. - The guy was wrong in sending your ball to the lake… if he wanted to express his disapproval or complain, there were much more civilized ways to do it. As they say: two wrongs don’t make a right

4. - You may have felt better after your (smart, I admit) answer about the wedge. I understand your comment but that was the “third wrong” in the story. Best case: the guy understands, apologizes and gives you a new ball (very unlikely) or he just does what he did… Worst case: someone needs to call 911. Was it necessary? I’d say it wasn’t.

So, OP, answering your question: I believe you were wrong, just as the other guy. On the other hand: congratulations on a great stroke!

Just my thoughts…

Have a good day!

Are those the only two options? Is it also a possibility to call up to them and say, "Hey guys, heads up I'm going to hit my drive here!" and wait for them to clear off to the side? I'd rather try to solve problems with communication, but maybe that's just me.

...My other question then is, how do you play that? I wasn't playing a round for score so I just put one down on the front of the green, if anything I was further back than what I was initially. I would think the rule would be to replace it as near as possible but since I was on the tee when he did it I just made my best guess but no nearer the hole than it possibly could have been.

A ball moved by an outside agency, in this case, another person on the course, is replaced (dropped or if on the green, placed) as near as possible to its original resting place. It appears you followed the Rules.

Did you yell "Fore"? Did you go up to them and apologize? It can be difficult to go forward to apologize after someone has cussed you out and tossed the ball in the water but I would have made the attempt. Offer no excuses, just say how sorry I was. If the offended parties refuse to accept the apology, at least I know I tried. If they want to escalate the issue, then I would depart.

If the guy on the green only had to take several steps it sounds like the pin was in the front so your ball distracted his putt. Personally I won't hit to a par 5 for example if I think the thump of the ball landing will distract those putting. Whether I can roll it on or not.

IMO you were both in the wrong.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

"I told him no (truthfully even) but then told him that if I did I'd be sure to send it to meet my ball."

Very funny, well said.

Last weekend I was playing with my son (who is 10) on a Saturday morning, very busy. We were in no way playing slow. On a par 4 we teed off and got up to our balls. As we were waiting for the green to clear to hit our approach shots a ball whizzed right over our cart and landed 5 yards in front of us. I instructed my son to run over the ball so it was nice and mashed into the ground. "Why dad?" He says. "Because those guys hit into us." The guys teeing off behind us could see us as well, it should be noted.

When the gentlemen walked up to his ball he looked at it a bit perplexed and then looked up at me on the green. I looked at him and he looked at his ball. Point taken I think. Subtle, non confrontational, harmless.

So the lesson to your son was two wrongs make a right?? All sorts of teachable moments there but I don't think that was one of them.

If I make three lefts then I go right. For me at the time, in this scenario it was the right decision. It was a nice subtle way to say, "Hey there's people in front of us and I'm with a kid so don't hit into us again please, mind the gap". And he never did hit into us again. Mission accomplished. I'm from MN so we're all about the passive aggressive here, thats how we do.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Guy sounds like a real jackass with anger issues. He likely spends most of his time searching for an outlet and you provided one.

And he was jealous of a golfer who could drive that green, when he could not.

I've had that happen to me a few times...the ball gently rolling onto the green. I just look back and give the guy a thumbs up.

Gentelemen:

I believe some are missing the point here. Several things happened and each one is an independent event.

1. - Hitting into a group it’s never right. It doesn’t make any difference if we’re talking about a drivable par 4, a short par three or a par 5 that not even Dustin Johnson could reach in 2… What matters is that it’s a golf shot that, considering the conditions and assuming a good stroke (perhaps a lucky bounce), had a reasonable chance to reach other players, even if it merely arrived rolling, a few yards short of where they are. As someone said: if you’ll be less than 50 yards from the group ahead, wait (there are always sprinkler heads, cart paths, etc. where your ball might gain 30 or 40 yards)

2. - If your ball is a hook or a slice and it goes to the adjacent fairway, everyone will understand that it’s an accident and you never meant to hit that way. That is a very different scenario... and a more frequent one as well, but people understand.

3. - The guy was wrong in sending your ball to the lake… if he wanted to express his disapproval or complain, there were much more civilized ways to do it. As they say: two wrongs don’t make a right

4. - You may have felt better after your (smart, I admit) answer about the wedge. I understand your comment but that was the “third wrong” in the story. Best case: the guy understands, apologizes and gives you a new ball (very unlikely) or he just does what he did… Worst case: someone needs to call 911. Was it necessary? I’d say it wasn’t.

So, OP, answering your question: I believe you were wrong, just as the other guy. On the other hand: congratulations on a great stroke!

Just my thoughts…

Have a good day!

Best post in this thread IMHO.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

He said there was a ZERO percent chance he would fly the green. At best he was going to roll it on a small percentage of the time, which he did.

So try again please and maybe read the OP. Nobody is getting hit in the head or face. We are only discussing a ball slowly rolling onto a green and MAYBE distracting a guy in the group ahead while he is putting. There is no "danger". He's only asking about the etiquette.

As Leo alluded to, if I didn't hit until everyone was clear of every possible landing zone at my parkland course, I'd never be able to hit a driver. When you hit it toward another group, or a landing zone you can't see, you yell fore. You certainly don't wait for both fairways, right and left, to be clear before you hit. Insanity.

We aren't even discussing that in this thread as the OP stated nobody is going to get hurt in his stated situation. Even yelling fore in this scenario would be foolish.

I hate getting into that situation, especially if there's a group behind me. I hate making others wait on me. So my dilemma becomes...play the game the way I want to (hitting driver in this situation) or let the other groups dictate my course management and lay up on a scoreable hole?

One time a playing partner hit into a group in front on accident. Guy in the group ahead took out a sharpie and wrote a few thoughts on the ball for him.

I agree. Seems like if you wait then the group behind get there and is watching, and inevitably you butcher the shot.

Thanks for the feedback. I truly didn't feel that I was in the wrong at all (otherwise I'd have never hit) but there is enough of a response telling me otherwise that I'll never do it again. Pretty much everyone agrees that the ball tosser was a butt, which I was pretty sure of too. I've been the guy that has waited pretty much every time until now, usually only to back things up and look like a fool by shanking one into the lake 80 yards shy of the green. I'll restate that I know within five yards even with that tailwind blowing the absolute max distance that I can fly my drive and the combination of pretty hard ground and a nice 20+mph tailwind made up the difference. I've played this course more than any other course and I've never been on this green before. Probably close to 500 rounds. Normally it plays into the wind. I also didn't take the courses yardage for granted either, I went as far as GPS measuring it prior to hitting. I often do this to get yardages to a hazard, etc and even as many times as I've played here I wasn't 100% sure how far it was until I did this, mainly due to rarely having to consider due to prevailing winds. I'm not making excuses for rolling one into their general area, but stating again that they were in no danger whatsoever by me hitting.

To the guy stating something about my original post being a brag, no way, and if you read that it was never my intention. Hence my reason for not listing yardages. It could've been 200 or it could've been 400. There's a reason why I didn't post that. I'm not telling if it's because I didn't want it to seem like a brag, or if I didn't want to get laughed at for lack of distance. It's pretty darn irrelevant.

I also would have absolutely apologized to them (not for putting them in danger, I'd have explained that I knew without a doubt that they weren't in any) had he not thrown my ball in the lake. once he did that I didn't get the sense that me explaining this to him would make any difference.

At any rate I appreciate the replies. For one, I truly had no idea how to actually rule that one. Sure I could read a bunch and probably find it but sometimes it's easier to ask. Also, I really didn't think I was in the wrong at all. There's enough replies stating that I probably should have waited to make me rethink that. I always try to look at it from how I'd feel. I'd be fine with it, which is why I didn't think I was in the wrong at all. It will present an interesting conundrum though the next time I'm in that situation. I now know that if I hit the shot I'll find the green and past experience tells me that when I wait and hold up play, I have no prayer of hitting a good shot (ha).

Thanks

On the tee at 8 (a fairly short par 4) we waited a minute or two for the group in front to get on the green. My kids and my dad hit first and the group ahead was putting. I knew that with this hole being directly downwind that if I absolutely pured one, with the ground being as hard as it was, there was a chance that I could MAYBE roll one onto it. I knew (by confirming the distance via GPS) that I absolutely could not fly one onto it no matter how well I struck the ball, and that any ball rolling onto it would have to bounce and roll a good 30 or more yards. As luck would have it I did hit it perfect. I've played this course probably 500 times and I've never been on this green in one.

Gentelemen:

Just my thoughts…

Have a good day!

I'd say 1 out of 500 is not "reasonable". OP did NOTHING wrong.

Personally I have ZERO problem if a ball catches up to me from behind rolling slowly. I'd figure it was exactly what happened here - the guy hit a 1 in 1000 500 shot.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

...My other question then is, how do you play that? I wasn't playing a round for score so I just put one down on the front of the green, if anything I was further back than what I was initially. I would think the rule would be to replace it as near as possible but since I was on the tee when he did it I just made my best guess but no nearer the hole than it possibly could have been.

A ball moved by an outside agency, in this case, another person on the course, is replaced (dropped or if on the green, placed) as near as possible to its original resting place. It appears you followed the Rules.

Did you yell "Fore"? Did you go up to them and apologize? It can be difficult to go forward to apologize after someone has cussed you out and tossed the ball in the water but I would have made the attempt. Offer no excuses, just say how sorry I was. If the offended parties refuse to accept the apology, at least I know I tried. If they want to escalate the issue, then I would depart.

I didn't yell "fore". I yell this when someone is in danger. I've read enough replies to rethink not being in the wrong, but make no mistake I knew they weren't in any danger whatsoever from my ball. I'd have never hit the ball in this case if there was any prayer of flying it to them, or even if it hopping into them-there was zero chance. Again, I've played probably 500 rounds at this course. A lot of them were winter rounds as they were the only course you could play in the winter. Slide 5.00 into the mail slot and play all day. I played a lot of 36-54 hole days there when it was freezing. The ground was pretty hard then and I've never been on or even with the front of this green before. Not one time. It took a perfect shot, very hard fairways, and a huge tailwind to roll one from a minimum of 30 (probably more like 50) yards short onto the fringe. I didn't yell "fore" because even as well struck as it was, I still KNEW that I couldn't come close to flying it into them. I'd be more annoyed with someone yelling "fore" in the middle of a putt then I would be if I was on the green and saw a ball trickle on from the tee box, having landed 30+ yards short of the front edge. I reserve my "fore" yelling for when it's needed. The hook into the adjacent fairway or someone popping out of the woods right when I hit my shot. If it's going to be remotely close I yell. Again, for clarification purposes, this wasn't remotely close to being an injury waiting to happen.

I also get the guy saying that I shouldn't have told him I'd send his wedge into a lake if I'd found it, telling me I was in the wrong there. I'll admit I was. I was pretty miffed. I was also nervous when he came rolling up a few holes after this. I've had enough bad experiences with drunk word not alloweds that I thought he was coming back looking for a fight or something. When he asked if we'd seen his wedge I was pretty amped up thinking it was about to get ugly and hoping that it wouldn't. I know I didn't help matters here. But in my mind I'd also just watched about the rudest act one could imagine and 30 minutes later he comes back looking for help? It's like one of my kids saying "Dad, I hate you and wish you were dead"! then 20 minutes later coming and asking for 20 bucks to go out with. Not that my kids say that, but kind of the same principal. If that were to happen I'm sure I'd tell them too that dead guys don't pay out 20's. I know I shouldn't have said it but I've a long history of my mouth writing checks that my butt cant cash. The last thing I'd ever be looking for on a golf course is a fight. It's hard to be zen for putting when you're thinking of the best Kung Fu move you know. I did enough fighting 20 years ago to sustain my family for generations. I have no desire to ever do that again. At most I would have said what I said and then backed down. He was a pretty big guy anyways so why take that chance? Ha.

If I've learned only two things here it's this; I probably (varying opinions but enough saying "just wait") shouldn't have hit and that I played it pretty close to the vest rules wise. The second point I really had no idea on and since it was a non competition round, I really just played it how I "felt" the rules should be. I'm often very wrong in that interpretation so at least I did something right.

Guy sounds like a real jackass with anger issues. He likely spends most of his time searching for an outlet and you provided one.

And he was jealous of a golfer who could drive that green, when he could not.

I've had that happen to me a few times...the ball gently rolling onto the green. I just look back and give the guy a thumbs up.

Concur, sir. If it whizzed by my head it's a different story then if I simply look up and it's rolling gently onto the front. We've all been there and if a remarkable shot I'm much more apt to salute them then to pick up the ball and throw it into a lake. I'd reserve that only for more than one close calls. This wasn't even a close call. It likely rolled on from 50 yards. 30 at an absolute minimum. If this was the third time it'd happened in the round, I MIGHT say something like "just wait until we've cleared". First time, big grin and huge thumbs up. I now know that not everyone shares that thought process, but those that don't still, despite my best efforts to explain, think that they were in some peril. They weren't. The guys coming up the adjoining holes FW were in much more danger. I never know when I'll uncork one there. I did however know that this shot wasn't going to put them in harm, and since I was hitting that direction, I pulled the trigger. I get it, I probably shouldn't have hit, but honestly playing with my kids I'm way more concerned about pace of play than I am about rollibg one 50 yards onto a green with people on it. I've waited many many times in the past only to have egg on my face. As in everything there are no simple answers. If they were in danger, I'd have waited 100% of the time. Since they weren't I elected to play. In probably 501 tries this is the first time I've ever even been to the front of this green. Granted I knew that given the conditions there was a 10% chance that I could roll one on and a 0% chance that I'd fly into them. It's a tough decision now that I think more about it. Wait and hold up everyone. Hit and maybe roll one 50 yards or so onto the green with a perfect strike. What to do?

Probably should have waited if you thought there was a chance to get there, but you also should have at least told him you found his wedge and put it next to your ball for safe keeping.

Lol! If I'd have found it he would have walked away from me with it. I'd have probably asked him for a new golf ball, fair is fair. Since I'd seen no sign of it I had a perfect chance to make an a** of myself in front of my dad and kids. Good times. Lol.

Considering the Spanish translation of your username my first thought was you were describe some horrible thing you did. :)

Waiting to hit a shot that has very little chance of "rolling" to a green is not a major breech of etiquette IMO. If the course was backed up and you had not where to go it wouldn't hurt to wait because your just going to wait on the next shot. I try to not let the group behind me wait too much, and if I have never been able to hit a green before I wouldn't wait.

Thanks! Since this is my real name (I go by Rick BTW), I've never heard this one before. Not ever nor even once. Thanks for pointing it out (again!) I guess.

I'll agree with you on the other point. Even teeing it up I didn't think that I'd get there, even on the roll. I will admit that the course wasn't backed up. This is pretty sad for when we played and I think based on this and other observations, there are going to be a bunch of local courses closing in the next 5 years. At any rate, I wasn't pushed from behind so hitting into them (if that's how it started looked at) is indefensible. I wasn't holding anyone up. I wasn't pressuring the group ahead. I just hit one from further back than I'd ever put one on the green prior, knowing it wouldn't cause harm to the leading group.

Of course, I beagled the hole thank you very little.

If Beagle is a two put birdie, both my buddy and I had Pargles today on the same hole. Yup - dreaded eagle 3 putt.

BTW- I've adopted Beagle into my golf lexicon. Thanks for a good one.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I've been on the green when that's happened, and while initially I may have jumped a little bit my playing partners and I congratulated the guy on a great shot. No one got upset. The other guy should have done that, too. If you can drive a green on a par four you are a Smiter. Was the ball a ProV1x? And do you happen to also be a former long drive competitor?

I've been on the green when that's happened, and while initially I may have jumped a little bit my playing partners and I congratulated the guy on a great shot. No one got upset. The other guy should have done that, too. If you can drive a green on a par four you are a Smiter. Was the ball a ProV1x? And do you happen to also be a former long drive competitor?

Huh? I've been smitten before, who hasn't? I play Nike RZN Platinums (until I run out and can't find them then I'll reconsider but I like the chrome soft x's so far). Id wager that a ton of people can hit a par four green. I played one last year that was 212. Two hundred twelve yards. Tee to green. Hardly an accomplishment. A local "executive " course has 10 par 4's and the longest one is 320. A long hitting brave soul could potentially play the entire course as a par 3 course if the wind wasn't up. I'm not that person. I lay up a lot since there's a lot of water surrounding the greens, and truthfully if the wind isn't in my favor many of them aren't reachable anyways.

I just have to ask msturkie. One of the earliest members I've seen (almost 12 years) and only 11 posts? The consummate lurker!?��

Huh? I've been smitten before, who hasn't? I play Nike RZN Platinums (until I run out and can't find them then I'll reconsider but I like the chrome soft x's so far). Id wager that a ton of people can hit a par four green. I played one last year that was 212. Two hundred twelve yards. Tee to green. Hardly an accomplishment. A local "executive " course has 10 par 4's and the longest one is 320. A long hitting brave soul could potentially play the entire course as a par 3 course if the wind wasn't up. I'm not that person. I lay up a lot since there's a lot of water surrounding the greens, and truthfully if the wind isn't in my favor many of them aren't reachable anyways.

Richard, I'm guessing msturkie might be referencing a recently banned poster who"smited his pro v's" prodigious distances because he was a former long drive guy. Pretty clever actually if you ever read the guys stuff.

I just have to ask msturkie. One of the earliest members I've seen (almost 12 years) and only 11 posts? The consummate lurker!?��

Richard, I'm guessing msturkie might be referencing a recently banned poster who"smited his pro v's" prodigious distances because he was a former long drive guy. Pretty clever actually if you ever read the guys stuff.

Ahh. Sense is made, I guess. How on earth would one go about getting banned from a website? Was he posting risqué pictures or simply saying terrible things? Nothing I read of his seemed ban worthy, but they may have deleted whatever it was that was worthy of that? Was he a sex offender or something? I'm still not seeing how someone could get banned from here. Yikes. I just went back and read some and I can see how the mistake was made. He types a bunch of words, like me. It appears he has kids roughly the same age as mine. I'm pretty sure he can outdrive me (ha) with a three iron. Either that or he's full of crap. Still, banned from a website? I can't imagine the behavior that would cause that. I'd guess it was very naughty. Thankfully he's a minimum of a state away (and I'm not saying if it's north, south, east, or west) from where I reside. I've certainly had my share of problems but he appears to still have a screw loose.

Edit: he seems very angry all the time. I can't abide that, how can you be angry hitting a golf ball that far? Or maybe he doesn't actually hit it that far? I'm not the type to call someone a liar without facts but he seemed really touchy about questions. I like how he was simply asked to provide facts and never seemed able to do so.