2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Public Courses within 1.5 hours of Boston

youngun87

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK- customer coming out Tuesday after Memorial Day. We have a TPC membership...they're closed.

Where do we go?

Red Tail?

Newport National?

Granite Links?

Somewhere else?

I think Granite Links.

I don’t like the course that much...but conditioning should be decent, and the views of the city are cool for visitors.

OK- customer coming out Tuesday after Memorial Day. We have a TPC membership...they're closed.

Where do we go?

Red Tail?

Newport National?

Granite Links?

Somewhere else?

I think Granite Links.

I don’t like the course that much...but conditioning should be decent, and the views of the city are cool for visitors.

Good conditions - check

Great views - check

Good spot for beer Post round - check

Abomination of a golf course - check

In all seriousness, it depends on where you will be traveling from. If your customer is landing in Logan and meeting you in boston, granite links is probably the place to go. But if you’re on the south shore or western burbs, there are far better courses than granite links

Where do we go?

Red Tail?

Newport National?

Granite Links?

Somewhere else?

I think Granite Links.

I don't like the course that much...but conditioning should be decent, and the views of the city are cool for visitors.

Good conditions - check

Great views - check

Good spot for beer Post round - check

Abomination of a golf course - check

In all seriousness, it depends on where you will be traveling from. If your customer is landing in Logan and meeting you in boston, granite links is probably the place to go. But if you're on the south shore or western burbs, there are far better courses than granite links

Yeah he's landing at Logan and I'm driving. Then we're heading to Cambridge for a 7PM dinner.

Pinehills looks awesome but its a tad far and traffic heading to Cambridge will be brutal once we get to the city. Red Tail might have the only true reverse commute.

Yeah he's landing at Logan and I'm driving. Then we're heading to Cambridge for a 7PM dinner.

Pinehills looks awesome but its a tad far and traffic heading to Cambridge will be brutal once we get to the city. Red Tail might have the only true reverse commute.

Reverse commute won’t work on that tuesday from red tail as there is a Red Sox game and mass pike and rte. 2 coming into city when sox are in town can be a pain.

Sounds like Granite Links is likely your best bet

Curious why Stow Acres isn’t mentioned.... was there for 10 years a long time ago and Stow was very popular.....

Stow Acres has really fallen on hard times compared to what it was 20 years ago. That pocket of Massachusetts got super competitive in the “country club for a day” model with a good group of courses fighting it out at the $125 price point.

If I had to guess, Stow Acres suffered most from being relatively hard to get to compared to Shaker Hills or Red Tail.

That said, the history of the course is really amazing/fascinating.

Curious why Stow Acres isnt mentioned.... was there for 10 years a long time ago and Stow was very popular.....

Stow Acres has really fallen on hard times compared to what it was 20 years ago. That pocket of Massachusetts got super competitive in the country club for a day model with a good group of courses fighting it out at the $125 price point.

If I had to guess, Stow Acres suffered most from being relatively hard to get to compared to Shaker Hills or Red Tail.

That said, the history of the course is really amazing/fascinating.

It was a pain to get to!!

I was there when Shaker appeared on the scene... Back then it was “let’s go try new and shiny” but we always returned to the comforts of Stow for most of our golf.... I first played Stow in 1985 and it was $15 IIRC on a Thursday afternoon in Sep..... played til dark....

I have to say living 5 minutes away from Leo J this level of discussion and debate of this course made my flight.

I like how the range is 5 minutes away, and the mats and balls are in relatively decent shape for a muni range. I hate how it's capped at 200 yards, and even then the last 50 yards is a hill so it's hard to dial in distances (not that it's that advisable anyways w/ range balls). I also don't like how there's no flags or other objects to aim at within 100 yards. I do like the free chipping area. Practicing putting at Leo J is a joke because the practice green (as well as the other greens) are so incredibly slow I can't imagine it doing anything but developing bad habits.

I vastly prefer the front 9 to the back 9. I don't mind walking the front 9, but walking the back 9 is just irritating, in particular to from 12 to 13/14 and back, and from 15 to 16... and from 18 back to the parking lot.

That being said, I'm there more often than I like because it's within spitting distance from my house and I learned on it.

I just wish the state would put a little more effort into maintenance. I get that it's in Weston, but most of the clientele that I've interacted with don't live in Weston or Wellesley.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m a month late to this Leo J Party. Like many of you, I grew up in Newton and it was my closest option. It was a dump then, sounds like it hasn’t changed. I always got a kick of the old pros in the shop, and the rack of used clubs. In late 80’s I bought a set of Hogan Apex blades I played for years. I still have them, and they still have red spray paint in the groves from the crappy range balls.

George Wright has a special place in my heart. Whenever I’m back visiting family, I try to play it.

How’s Franklin Park?

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the old bump...

I'm coming down to Boston for three days next week while the SO is working down there. So I have my days free and will be sampling some public golf. It'll be early November, and a bit wet and chilly I'm sure, but I'm Canadian, so I'll be just fine. I've got a car (driving down from Montreal), so don't mind driving out of the city a ways for a course or two. I'll also be a single and golfing Monday through Wednesday, so I don't expect many problems finding teetimes.

Where would you play? I'm sorry, but Leo J doesn't much interest me guys... ;)

So far, I'm thinking that if I can play 36 in one day, I'll try to play both Pinehills courses - otherwise I'll choose one and play it. So Pinehills seems like an obvious choice for me.

Granite Links doesn't seem likely to me - links seem like they'll be cold and possibly overly windy for a casual game early November? Maybe I'm wrong?

Waverly Oaks has taken spot #2 thus far in my limited research. It looks like a nice course, and reviews seem good.

Tentatively I had Shaker Hills as the 3rd, but maybe the conditions are not great?

Would be grateful for any other options. I'm going to be staying in Cambridge somewhere, but really don't mind driving - I've got a solid 10 hours to myself every day, and plans to enjoy some November golf.

I'm coming down to Boston for three days next week while the SO is working down there. So I have my days free and will be sampling some public golf. It'll be early November, and a bit wet and chilly I'm sure, but I'm Canadian, so I'll be just fine. I've got a car (driving down from Montreal), so don't mind driving out of the city a ways for a course or two. I'll also be a single and golfing Monday through Wednesday, so I don't expect many problems finding teetimes.

So far, I'm thinking that if I can play 36 in one day, I'll try to play both Pinehills courses - otherwise I'll choose one and play it. So Pinehills seems like an obvious choice for me.

Granite Links doesn't seem likely to me - links seem like they'll be cold and possibly overly windy for a casual game early November? Maybe I'm wrong?

Waverly Oaks has taken spot #2 thus far in my limited research. It looks like a nice course, and reviews seem good.

Tentatively I had Shaker Hills as the 3rd, but maybe the conditions are not great?

Would be grateful for any other options. I'm going to be staying in Cambridge somewhere, but really don't mind driving - I've got a solid 10 hours to myself every day, and plans to enjoy some November golf.

Pinehills is aerating right now Im playing Waverly Oaks Thursday they are aerating till next week

Pinehills is aerating right now Im playing Waverly Oaks Thursday they are aerating till next week

Everybody is doing their end of season aeration over the next couple of weeks...so it's going to be a little mucky.

From Cambridge, I would argue that Red Tail / Shaker Hills are going to be best bets. Might call the International in Bolton to see if they'll let you out as an "international" visitor...

Hmm - kinda sucks about the punching. I'll have to call around to see who punched a little earlier maybe.

Not sure if I was coherent meant to say Waverly Oaks isn't aerating till next week and imo their greens are better than Pinehills so defiantly get out there this week

Hmm - kinda sucks about the punching. I'll have to call around to see who punched a little earlier maybe.

Played Red Tail on 10/20 and it's in good shape. They've already punched for the season, too. And their rates are lower now, so it's all good. :)

Butter Brook in Westford is another course that wouldn't be too bad to get to from Cambridge.

I would play Red Tail over Shaker Hills. I played there a few weeks ago and it was in good shape. As someone mentioned they’ve already aerated and the course drains much better than Shaker Hills.

I think George Wright aerated about 2 weeks ago too.

Waverly Oaks is solid. There’s also Crosswinds in Plymouth, which has 27 holes.

The Ranch in Western Mass is awesome but beyond your 1.5 hours from Boston by a bit.

If you don't mind the drive, consider The Cape Club in Falmouth. Weather there is usually warmer than Boston and the course is top notch. Played there 3 weeks ago and it was beautiful. I believe the rate is $65 now.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

If you don't mind the drive, consider The Cape Club in Falmouth. Weather there is usually warmer than Boston and the course is top notch. Played there 3 weeks ago and it was beautiful. I believe the rate is $65 now.

BT

I keep forgetting about Cape Club been meaning to get there

BT

I keep forgetting about Cape Club been meaning to get there

Yeah, it was the first time I had played it since they rebuilt the whole facility. The guys I had with me who come up every year said they liked it more than anything else we've played in the last few years. And that includes TPC Boston, Pine Hills, Granite Links, International, Red Tail and several others.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

• 3 months later...

Played Red Tail on 10/20 and it's in good shape. They've already punched for the season, too. And their rates are lower now, so it's all good. :)

Butter Brook in Westford is another course that wouldn't be too bad to get to from Cambridge.

Surprised it took someone this long to mention Butter Brook. Fantastic challenging layout that is always in great condition.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

> @petey_buckets said:

> jdl wrote:

>

>

> AltaGuy wrote:

>

>

> cbbaron wrote:

>

>

>

> Pinehills is aerating right now Im playing Waverly Oaks Thursday they are aerating till next week

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hmm - kinda sucks about the punching. I'll have to call around to see who punched a little earlier maybe.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Played Red Tail on 10/20 and it's in good shape. They've already punched for the season, too. And their rates are lower now, so it's all good. /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

>

>

>

> Butter Brook in Westford is another course that wouldn't be too bad to get to from Cambridge.

>

>

>

>

> Surprised it took someone this long to mention Butter Brook. Fantastic challenging layout that is always in great condition.

ButterBrook is a nice course but it's too expensive for my taste. And there's really no amenities there with the clubhouse being not much more than trailer (although a nicely stocked pro shop and ok food). Quirky front (parkland) vs back nice (links) with a pretty good hike between the 9th green and 10th tee if you're walking.I liked it a lot but again it's just too expensive, especially on the weekend.

> @jimb6golf said:

> ButterBrook is a nice course but it's too expensive for my taste. And there's really no amenities there with the clubhouse being not much more than trailer (although a nicely stocked pro shop and ok food). Quirky front (parkland) vs back nice (links) with a pretty good hike between the 9th green and 10th tee if you're walking.I liked it a lot but again it's just too expensive, especially on the weekend.<

I was not impressed with BB. I don't understand the infatuation with it. Nothing I can put my finger on why I am not impressed, but agree it's very pricey ($98 w/cart on w/e May-October) for what you get and no real special holes. Pine Hills is a much better play for the money, IMHO.

> @Pearson10M said:

> > @jimb6golf said:

> > ButterBrook is a nice course but it's too expensive for my taste. And there's really no amenities there with the clubhouse being not much more than trailer (although a nicely stocked pro shop and ok food). Quirky front (parkland) vs back nice (links) with a pretty good hike between the 9th green and 10th tee if you're walking.I liked it a lot but again it's just too expensive, especially on the weekend.<

>

> I was not impressed with BB. I don't understand the infatuation with it. Nothing I can put my finger on why I am not impressed, but agree it's very pricey ($98 w/cart on w/e May-October) for what you get and no real special holes. Pine Hills is a much better play for the money, IMHO.

>

Agree, though it's quite a bit more money. And for me, a much longer drive.