Ping I200 users

braincramp52

These do not play short!

Absolutely no way do they play short.

maybe not loft for loft, but it all depends on what clubs you are or aren’t transitioning from/to. I went g400 to i200 and lost yards and then gained them back going to cobra forged tec. yes I realize it’s because g400 and forged tec are stronger lofted.

could have gotten them bent to power spec but then I’d lose the height

So a G400/FTEC 7i went just as high as your I200 7i but the I200 were shorter? If so, you got the wrong shafts in the I200s. Mine go the exact same distance but the I200s go higher than the Cobras.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These do not play short!

maybe not loft for loft, but it all depends on what clubs you are or aren't transitioning from/to. I went g400 to i200 and lost yards and then gained them back going to cobra forged tec. yes I realize it's because g400 and forged tec are stronger lofted.

could have gotten them bent to power spec but then I'd lose the height

These have weaker lofts than my Ping I E1 irons and the 200's are longer.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

These do not play short!

maybe not loft for loft, but it all depends on what clubs you are or aren’t transitioning from/to. I went g400 to i200 and lost yards and then gained them back going to cobra forged tec. yes I realize it’s because g400 and forged tec are stronger lofted.

So a G400/FTEC 7i went just as high as your I200 7i but the I200 were shorter? If so, you got the wrong shafts in the I200s. Mine go the exact same distance but the I200s go higher than the Cobras.

different clubs work for different players. dunno what to tell you, champ

These do not play short!

different clubs work for different players. dunno what to tell you, champ

So true. I know it wasn’t your intent, I was just trying to point out it isn’t the clubs fault they were short for you. Lots of people read these statements, and then say nah I’ll pass on the I200s. They are shorter than others.

I max out a 7i at around 155 carry. I was able to get fit in FTEC and get that distance, as well as I200s. But the height and spin for the I200s were better. For instance, I tried many Mizunos and could never get to that max carry no matter what I did. The I200s may have been short for you at that time, but they are not short in general.

Agree that the length of the I200's is really all about perspective...and having a properly fit set.

I've got 4 rounds on mine and came from Mizuno 900 tours. I carry that Mizuno 5 iron about 185 with a total distance in the low 190's. My pings fly higher and spin a couple hundred RPM's less, so I now carry the Ping in the low 190's.

So for me, the I200's are longer...enough so that i've been caught off-guard by hitting some shots I thought were perfect, only to have them end up on the backs of greens.

Agree that the length of the I200's is really all about perspective...and having a properly fit set.

I've got 4 rounds on mine and came from Mizuno 900 tours. I carry that Mizuno 5 iron about 185 with a total distance in the low 190's. My pings fly higher and spin a couple hundred RPM's less, so I now carry the Ping in the low 190's.

So for me, the I200's are longer...enough so that i've been caught off-guard by hitting some shots I thought were perfect, only to have them end up on the backs of greens.

That's my experience, too. I'm coming from Mizuno MP-5's with Nippon 950 shafts, and the i200's with TT XP 95 shafts are 10 to 15 yards longer. The lofts on the i200's are the same as the 5's. Some of the distance gain is the shaft, and some due to the reduced spin. After a dozen rounds I'm still surprised by the length at times.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

sold mine after 3 rds :(

went from i25s -> srixon, BS and after hunting for 2 years i finally got my i200 - black dot

they offered no feel, no confidence, no distance - sad day in my golfing life.

Too bad you didn’t get along with them.

It’s a terrible feeling when something you’ve looked forward to falls short of expectations.

I got fit for mine and it’s been the total polar opposite of your experience. Got the Modus 105R, Powerspec, -.5” and Red dot.

To me, they feel just as good as the AP2S , RAZR X forged and Covert Forged clubs I’ve owned but less jarring mishits.

Combine tighter dispersion and the fact they’re much more forgiving , I’ve never been more confident over the ball.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

• 2 weeks later...
sold mine after 3 rds :(

went from i25s -> srixon, BS and after hunting for 2 years i finally got my i200 - black dot

they offered no feel, no confidence, no distance - sad day in my golfing life.

Too bad you didn’t get along with them.

It’s a terrible feeling when something you’ve looked forward to falls short of expectations.

I got fit for mine and it’s been the total polar opposite of your experience. Got the Modus 105R, Powerspec, -.5” and Red dot.

To me, they feel just as good as the AP2S , RAZR X forged and Covert Forged clubs I’ve owned but less jarring mishits.

Combine tighter dispersion and the fact they’re much more forgiving , I’ve never been more confident over the ball.

My experience was the same as yours. Disappointing especially with how well they work for almost everyone else

• 5 months later...

Had an awesome round with the new irons. 4i is still a bit tough to hit, so the jury is still out on whether it will be replaced with my 4H. But man, the 7i-PW is money. Felt really good and so easy to hit target. These things really excel in different lies. So glad I got fit for these. The PW was so easy to hit target I just ordered the UW. Not that my current 52* is bad, I just like the sole and forgiveness of the i200. And who doesn't want some help hitting 100-110 yds.

Same. Infuriating, but same exact thing.

It's really strange... the 4-iron isn't right. It's not that it's somehow broken, but the magic leaves very quickly at 22.5º. I can hit it off a tee, but off the turf it has to be a perfect lie or sitting up. I'm switching to a hybrid-y thing, but with several choices out there...

- 22º hybrid (in the 5h spec)

- i500 4-iron

- g700 4-iron

I'm trying to be patient to see what works best.

How does the i200 compare to s55?

Older post you made but I just hit these two 6i against each other in store. S55 black dot, PX 5.5 against the i200 6i with AWT 2.0, also black dot. Everything was nearly identical for me, besides feel. S55 wins that one by a long shot for me, but I found the S55 as forgiving, tighter dispersion, and just as long with my longest carry being with the smaller head.

That said, I just got my hands on a set of i200, green dot and power spec'd. These have the DG 120 S300 shafts. Lie angle may be a little more upright than I am used to but they seem plenty playable for me so I am hoping to see how they are tomorrow on the course. I will be honest, I have fallen in love with the S55, they rank as some of the best ever for me so the i200s will really have to impress me. Even still, I do love the look of the smaller head and love it's playability. I will post back after some play time with the i200s, but I can see why these are popular irons.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

How does the i200 compare to s55?

Older post you made but I just hit these two 6i against each other in store. S55 black dot, PX 5.5 against the i200 6i with AWT 2.0, also black dot. Everything was nearly identical for me, besides feel. S55 wins that one by a long shot for me, but I found the S55 as forgiving, tighter dispersion, and just as long with my longest carry being with the smaller head.

That said, I just got my hands on a set of i200, green dot and power spec'd. These have the DG 120 S300 shafts. Lie angle may be a little more upright than I am used to but they seem plenty playable for me so I am hoping to see how they are tomorrow on the course. I will be honest, I have fallen in love with the S55, they rank as some of the best ever for me so the i200s will really have to impress me. Even still, I do love the look of the smaller head and love it's playability. I will post back after some play time with the i200s, but I can see why these are popular irons.

the day i find a set of s55 in mint condition, i buy them on the spot.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I have i200s w/ Modus 105x as my primary set, and have kept a set of S55s with Recoil 110s as my FL set. I have had no problems seamlessly moving from one set to the other. The i200s might be a tad longer due to stronger lofts, but it's not enough to be any issue. Both sets are exceptional.

I'm in the process of moving to FL full time so will probably sell one of the sets. I've also got $1500 in shop credit at my club so I'm eyeing the new Blueprint irons but obviously need more info first...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thats the good thing, or one of the things, I like most about the Ping irons... even when gamed a lot they seem to hold their finish so sets in good shape are not hard to come by. The finish on the 200s seems to show some kind of "swirly" looking blemishes, for lack of a better word.... not bad but definitely different.

Thats the good thing, or one of the things, I like most about the Ping irons... even when gamed a lot they seem to hold their finish so sets in good shape are not hard to come by. The finish on the 200s seems to show some kind of "swirly" looking blemishes, for lack of a better word.... not bad but definitely different.

Those swirls blend in over time with additional wear. Looks disconcerting when you first start with them but the look improves with time & use.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Those swirls blend in over time with additional wear. Looks disconcerting when you first start with them but the look improves with time & use.

I was wondering about that. Played them today and they did seem to almost clean up a bit.

Was my first time out with them, but they were pretty good. Shafts are 1/2" longer than what I play so it was a little weird but did hit some good shots and some meh.... Being power spec'd I was worried they may be too long but they are no longer than my Z745s, in fact they may be a little shorter. I do like the DG 120 shafts, they feel good and balls seemed to fly straight where I was aiming, for the good and bad! I did mis hit a few, was a little disappointed at how much shorter those shots were, I guess I was expecting a little more from such an iron. All in all, they seem very good, but I don't think there is enough there to unseat the Z745s, they're very similar in performance for me really but feel goes to the Srixon. BUT coming from the i25s I was just gaming, I do find the i200 and upgrade in terms of performance to those.

Had an awesome round with the new irons. 4i is still a bit tough to hit, so the jury is still out on whether it will be replaced with my 4H. But man, the 7i-PW is money. Felt really good and so easy to hit target. These things really excel in different lies. So glad I got fit for these. The PW was so easy to hit target I just ordered the UW. Not that my current 52* is bad, I just like the sole and forgiveness of the i200. And who doesn't want some help hitting 100-110 yds.

It's really strange... the 4-iron isn't right. It's not that it's somehow broken, but the magic leaves very quickly at 22.5º. I can hit it off a tee, but off the turf it has to be a perfect lie or sitting up. I'm switching to a hybrid-y thing, but with several choices out there...

- 22º hybrid (in the 5h spec)

- i500 4-iron

- g700 4-iron

I'm trying to be patient to see what works best.

The answer is i500 is it.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made the direct switch from i200 to i210? Other than the softer feel, did you notice any distance/ forgiveness/ dispersion gains (same shaft)? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on here just can't seem to find it. Wondering if it's worth contemplating an upgrade.

I've heard they may feel a tad softer. Other than that I highly doubt there's any significant performance gains. Certainly not enough to justify probably £500 it'd cost you to trade in.

Do you hit your i200s well? Are you happy with them? If yes to both, why chance it?

Has anyone made the direct switch from i200 to i210? Other than the softer feel, did you notice any distance/ forgiveness/ dispersion gains (same shaft)? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on here just can't seem to find it. Wondering if it's worth contemplating an upgrade.

I've heard they may feel a tad softer. Other than that I highly doubt there's any significant performance gains. Certainly not enough to justify probably £500 it'd cost you to trade in.

Do you hit your i200s well? Are you happy with them? If yes to both, why chance it?

Got fit and a different shaft was suggested. That along with regripping makes me think of possibly just upgrading.

I own i200 and have tested them back to back many times. The i210 spun slightly less for me so they go a touch longer. If you’re a high spin player the 210 would probably be better for you or if you struggle with distance. I hit my i200 7i almost 170 in the air so I’m not fussed about distance. The feel is a wash. They both feel soft-ish almost spongy if you hit anywhere on the grooves. Difference is negligible. They feel good they’re just not buttery like a good forgiving. I just got a mint set of MP32s now THAT is soft.

I own i200 and have tested them back to back many times. The i210 spun slightly less for me so they go a touch longer. If you’re a high spin player the 210 would probably be better for you or if you struggle with distance. I hit my i200 7i almost 170 in the air so I’m not fussed about distance. The feel is a wash. They both feel soft-ish almost spongy if you hit anywhere on the grooves. Difference is negligible. They feel good they’re just not buttery like a good forgiving. I just got a mint set of MP32s now THAT is soft.

Have u by any chance hit the i500? If so did u find distance gap issues?

Has anyone made the direct switch from i200 to i210? Other than the softer feel, did you notice any distance/ forgiveness/ dispersion gains (same shaft/specs)? Do the long irons play similar? Wondering if it's worth contemplating an upgrade.

I went from i200's to i210's. Performance is identical. The i210 feels a little softer, maybe too soft? Spongy is a good description. I preferred the looks of the i200. Wish I hadn't sold them to be honest.

Hard to see how they can improve on the i200 for a club of that type. I trust Ping more than most though, so the i210 must offer something I guess. Just not enough for me to change. I've tuned in to my 200s now so why go through the whole rigmarole of having to relearn distances, etc.

I just don't get it when folks chop and change every few months....

Hard to see how they can improve on the i200 for a club of that type. I trust Ping more than most though, so the i210 must offer something I guess. Just not enough for me to change. I've tuned in to my 200s now so why go through the whole rigmarole of having to relearn distances, etc.

I just don't get it when folks chop and change every few months....

They are a fantastic iron and I believe them to be the most forgiving iron in that category. You get players looks with GI help IMO. They do lack in feel when compared to my Mizuno blades but if you compare them to newer forged offerings it's a bit of a wash. Compared to the AP2, 900F, MP18 SC I found the i200 to feel just as good. As for distances I have no issue changing back and forth as long as I know the lofts. I played a round this week with both my Mizzy blades and i200 in the bag and didn't have a problem swapping back and forth despite it being the first time I gamed the MPs. Hit them on launch monitor once and good to go. Tech is good for something!

I’ve games the 3i and it was definitely easy to hit off the tee and fairway. Doesn’t launch as high as a hybrid or 5w but in my opinion it’s a little more versatile. Now that I have the i210’s I’m going to purchase an i500 3i with an AD DI 105 to replace my 5w. I still get high launch if needed but I can flight it down and work it directionally a bit easier. And it goes just as far. 5w just goes high and straight.

Stay Tuned...