2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

LPGA and Titleist

Not sure if anybody has brought this up before but it dawned on me that Titleist doesn't sponsor any LPGA golfers like it does so prevalently on the PGA tour. Sure they have many ladies that play Titleist balls, but I am talking about equipment. Taylor Made, PXG and Callaway/Odyssey are very noticeable in the equipment sponsorship game but rarely if at all do you see Titleist equipment and hat/shirt sponsorship. Even FootJoy logos are rare out on tour. Just seems weird to me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played with numerous women, and I can't recall ever seeing Titleist clubs in their bags. Maybe the company accepts that they have little market share, and the sponsorships wouldn't help turn the tide.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Isn't Charlie Hull on the staff?

I'd have to say a qualified "no". Titleist has "brand ambassadors", e.g. Jordon Spieth, Justin Thomas, who are considered their sponsored pros. They play their clubs, wear their gear, and/or have a Titleist staff bag. There are 21 on the PGA Tour, but only one brand ambassador on the LPGA, Dana Finkelstein.

21 players on the LPGA play Titleist balls, and are listed on the Titleist website as "Golf Ball Player". I wouldn't consider that much of a sponsorship. Of these, I believe only 5 players wear a Titleist hat/visor.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

It might be in US.. LPGA doesn't generate much attention...

I watch Korean Golf Channels before I go to bed (They have at least 3 channels that are dedicated to GOLF 24/7) They show just at much ladies golf or more versus Men's golf.. I see Titleist (Golf balls) commercials with women all the time along with HONMA (which we don't see here (US) much). I have seen some women with Titleist hats in KLPGA. Not so much of Titleist clubs, then again I don't think I've seen any Titleist ads other than balls in US also..

PXG appears to be dominating the LPGA currently.

"Dominating" is a bit of a stretch. Yes, they have a handful of players, but I think TaylorMade, Ping, Callaway have them outnumbered two to one easily.

Ladies equipment isn't a big market for them. First of all the ladies market is way smaller than the mens, and titleist markets to better players, which is a sliver of both the mens and ladies markets but because the ladies market is smaller that sliver is smaller. The biggest market for ladies clubs seems to be in the SGI category, which ping, Callaway, and taylormade do very well but isn't part of what titleist does.

The other thing about the ladies market is it only caters to lower swing speed ladies, which again, is the largest part of that market. The better female players tend to play with the same heads that men do, and just get the shafts fit out of the options that work for their swing speed, so r flex or s flex shafts at the weight that works for them. If you look at female college players you'll see tons of ap2s and the like, so they absolutely use titleist clubs at the higher level of the game, but again, because that market is so small titleist doesn't market to them.

But that's just equipment. Titleist does market to women in their balls, which you see on the commercials, so again, when there is a market they do target it.

Isn't Charlie Hull on the staff?

There are 21 on the PGA Tour, but only one brand ambassador on the LPGA, Dana Finkelstein.

21 players on the LPGA play Titleist balls, and are listed on the Titleist website as "Golf Ball Player". I wouldn't consider that much of a sponsorship. Of these, I believe only 5 players wear a Titleist hat/visor.

Unless Dana changed in the past two weeks she is bag, club and hat sponsored by Ping. She plays a Titleist ball only.

As to the OP. Titleist has nothing to gain in this segment. They don't make clubs for women specifically like the other manufactured mentions and likely simply feel their money is better spent marketing to the segment that they cater to.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I believe I saw where Jessica Korda plays Titleist Irons could be wrong though. Don't think she is sponsored by them though. I agree with an above poster the Titleist brand just doesn't fit with the majority of the women's market which is game improvement equipment. The closest thing they would have is the AP1 and to call that a game improvement iron would be a stretch.

If you look as a whole though not many of the women have true "club manufacturing" sponsors like on the men's tour regardless of brand, you just don't see a whole lot of Callaway, TM, etc. plastered on every bag and hat like the men. Exceptions are like Lexi, Kerr, Brooke, Ko. Unless you knew or looked hard most of the time you don't now what brand the women are playing.

Jessica was playing a Callaway driver, and PXG irons at the KPMG. 'Not sure about the hybrids, but they were definitely not Titleist.

She was a TaylorMade staffers up until this year, but that deal appears to have gone by the wayside.

DDmT_TGXkAA2Y9L.jpg

Jessica+Korda+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Two+Ytro9INwDZll.jpg

Bronte Law had titleist Bag, hat and clubs when i watched yesterday.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Bronte Law had titleist Bag, hat and clubs when i watched yesterday.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

bronte-law-693842286_master.jpg

I don't know much about Titleist's sponsorship of the LPGA, but I think I've come to understand how they lay claim to the #1 Ball on tour. I started following a woman on Twitter whose job, it appears, is to pick up cases of balls at the airport and drive them to LPGA stops and stuff them in the women's lockers before the event starts.

I don't know much about Titleist's sponsorship of the LPGA, but I think I've come to understand how they lay claim to the #1 Ball on tour. I started following a woman on Twitter whose job, it appears, is to pick up cases of balls at the airport and drive them to LPGA stops and stuff them in the women's lockers before the event starts.

Every OEM does that.

I'm pretty sure Danielle Kang had Titleist 716 CBs in the bag at Kingsmill.

Charley Hull was a Titleist gal at one time.

charley_hull_profile.300x300.jpg

Charley+Hull+David+Hull+Kraft+Nabisco+Championship+iiTZ5cvzdKkl.jpg

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I'm pretty sure Danielle Kang had Titleist 716 CBs in the bag at Kingsmill.

I believe she still had them last week at the KPMG. She was playing a TM driver and fairway woods, though.

Danielle+Kang+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+gb9--O5vWsFl.jpg

Jessica was playing a Callaway driver, and PXG irons at the KPMG. 'Not sure about the hybrids, but they were definitely not Titleist.

She was a TaylorMade staffers up until this year, but that deal appears to have gone by the wayside.

DDmT_TGXkAA2Y9L.jpg

Jessica+Korda+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Two+Ytro9INwDZll.jpg

Yeah I don't know where I saw that. I new that Nelly was playing a PXG driver. I knew her deal with TM had fizzled I guess but she was still repping Adidas.

Aditi Ashok appears to be sponsored by Titleist, with a staff bag and hat.

Olafia Kristinsdottir has a Titleist staff bag and some fairway woods, but is playing a TM driver.

Katherine Perry has a Titleist staff bag.

Every OEM does that.

I started following a woman on Twitter whose job, it appears, is to pick up cases of balls at the airport and drive them to LPGA stops and stuff them in the women's lockers before the event starts.

Planning a heist?

First off, I know nothing about the golf industry. Secondly, I knew pros got a lot of swag, but had no idea balls are flown to airports at tour stops and its someones actual job description to pick them up, drive them to the course and stuff lockers. If every ball maker does this, as you say, their lockers must be pretty damn full. And it speaks to the value players put in titleist if when given a choice of free balls from each OEM players choose it most often to play.

Every OEM does that.

I started following a woman on Twitter whose job, it appears, is to pick up cases of balls at the airport and drive them to LPGA stops and stuff them in the women's lockers before the event starts.

Planning a heist?

First off, I know nothing about the golf industry. Secondly, I knew pros got a lot of swag, but had no idea balls are flown to airports at tour stops and its someones actual job description to pick them up, drive them to the course and stuff lockers. If every ball maker does this, as you say, their lockers must be pretty damn full. And it speaks to the value players put in titleist if when given a choice of free balls from each OEM players choose it most often to play.

There you go.

Every OEM does that.

Planning a heist?

Yup, their lockers are really full of free swag. And less so than the men's tour where the lockers are really full of swag! Those guys are getting everything for free, down to their socks.

And yes, it really does speak for titleist that so many players, who can get any ball they want for free, choose to play their ball.

The majority of us simply do not get the support from Titleist in the same way the men do. As a result, we go with the brands who will support us and vice versa. The landscape has changed alot in the last 5 years or so and many girls simply get free equipment or apparel (if theyre lucky) as opposed to any sort of financial assistance from the OEM's for the vast majority. Of course, there are plenty in the top 100 OWGR who still get good financial assistance from certain OEM's or those with big social media followings. The majority of sponsorship though comes from big corporations from japan/korea i.e banks/finance sector etc

Yup, their lockers are really full of free swag. And less so than the men's tour where the lockers are really full of swag! Those guys are getting everything for free, down to their socks.

And yes, it really does speak for titleist that so many players, who can get any ball they want for free, choose to play their ball.

Plenty of players are paid to play Titleist balls that are not on staff.

Just like TM pays $75,000 a year to non-staff players just for putting their driver in play.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime