LPGA.. Dress code is too lax

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf has had a history of "proper attire" and I don't believe a tank top fits. Sleeveless shirts with collars are fine.

Proper attire used to be long sleve shirts and ties for "gentlemen" as well. Wimbledon used to be "all white" tennis attire. Times change, things change, everything changes...and history is just that...history. Golfing attire will change with the times...whether anyone outside of the sport wants it to or not.

Change isn't always for better.

There is value in some traditions. Sometimes keeping traditions, makes it more special.

Point is these women are Professionals, and should dress accordingly.

Golf has had a history of "proper attire" and I don't believe a tank top fits. Sleeveless shirts with collars are fine.

As for shorts, for the women it doesn't bother me, as I would lump them in with skirts. Most golf skirts are really shorts with a wrap around anyways.

For the men however, pants only. Shorts just don't give the impression of professionalism. And with the technology in fabric...the pants don't get very hot, but again look much more professional.

If dress doesn't matter, imagine what kind of rukas John Daly would cause if showed up for an event in cutoffs and a wife beater....

How about the NBA players then should they wear long pants they are professionals?

Personally I do not care what Daly or the rest wear I just want to watch them play golf.

Next thing is you guys are gonna want Tiger to wear a dress shirt and tie with a pair of knicker tucked into plaid socks.

Who cares what they wear. Whatever brings in more revenue the better. Gulbis is a perfect example. Do you really think she would be raking in the endorsement deals she is if it wern't for her natural assets? I am not talkin about that curvey swing nieither.

Let them dress as skantily as they want. The shorter the skirts the better. The more cleavage and skin the better. It gets ratings, ratings get more tournies on TV, more tournies on tv gets, more money, more money and more coverage gets more young ladies into golf, the more ladies in golf the better it is for everyone.

Golf is very old school. Eventually it will change. Maybe they should mandate uniforms....hmm Natalie Gulbis in a plaid miniskirt with a white button down blouse and knee high socks.....I bet she would be on every ESPN highlight reel

he he I got totally off track and I really had a good point to make.

Someoen said if the pga players wear pants why can't the women.

Dude, its because men tune in to watch the men play golf.

Men tune into womens golf to watch the women.

The golf is secondary to probably 80 percent of the men.

The same goes for Beach volley Ball, womens tennis, womens swimming events etc.....

Men don't like to watch women play sports because they are not as good as men.

Basketball, Curling, Golf, Tennis etc.... Womens athletics are never going to be as popular. Tennis is really an amazing aception... but that I would declare is partly due to all of the err umm gifted female tennis players...

Don't get me wrong many women are great golfers, many better than I will every hope to be. but you all know the truth as well as I do....

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but it would be awesome if they had one tournament a year where everyone wore the golf clothing of yesteryear, and played with old equipment. All other sports have games where they wear the uniforms of yesteryear, why shouldn't golf. I think it would bring good ratings.

meh.

they can where whatever they want. that's between them and their sponsors. as far as the guys getting to wear shorts.....meh...again.

who really cares.

carolyn bivens isn't going to start a dress code. no doubt gulbis' skirts wouldn't pass the test....or wie's for that matter.

i don't always agree with bivens...but she's not stupid.

and people do watch women's golf for purposes other than skin......believe it.

I would definatly watch a tournament with throwback clubs.

I wouldn't care to watch a throwback clothing tourny though.

Max Driver CC of 250, only wood head's allowed. no graphite, no cavity back irons, two way putters only, and everyone has to hit the same ball.

Outside of the drives going 50 yards less and a few more shots into the woods, I really don't think it would make much of a difference. Especially with irons.

Her shorts are no shorter that Natalie's, Paula's or anyone else's for that matter. I mean come on. There have been much shorter shorts and other have worn tanks as well.

She's just not the most appealing in said apparel but justified not the less.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

No biggie, but If we noticed it, plenty of others within the LPGA and media noticed it too. Noticed plenty of funky eurodressers at the tournament, but that's kinda cool. I wonder if JJ usually wears this setup when she plays professionally? I also would be really curious to know what Annika, and the Golf Channel's Stina and Kelly have to say about it. JJ seems like a nice enough person, and I would imagine someone close to her will probably mention it to her this week, if nothing else to let her know that it is being discussed by fans and maybe the media. I would be very surprised if we see her in a tanktop again. Miniskirts/shorts are OK with me as long as they fit the golfer, and unfortunately hers really didn't. I have to agree with others though, that some LPGA players could have pulled off the tanktop thing, and we wouldn't be objecting right now.

Maybe the NBA should go back to their short shorts then. Or MLB should make their players all wear their pants high. (I am joking ofcourse) The point is, WHO CARES!!! It is a different time now, fashion is different get over it. It is only golf, it's not like they are walking in to perform a surgery dressed like that. If it offends you or your wife that much then DONT WATCH!

Let me ask you this: If you had a daughter on tour and some company pays them a grip of cash to wear certain things would you honestly care all that much? (don't think so)

Maybe the NBA should go back to their short shorts then. Or MLB should make their players all wear their pants high. (I am joking ofcourse) The point is, WHO CARES!!! It is a different time now, fashion is different get over it. It is only golf, it's not like they are walking in to perform a surgery dressed like that. If it offends you or your wife that much then DONT WATCH!

Let me ask you this: If you had a daughter on tour and some company pays them a grip of cash to wear certain things would you honestly care all that much? (don't think so)

I doubt her sponsors told her to wear a tank top

I doubt that she paid for those clothes too. So therefore she had to get them from somewhere right? (Her Sponsers)

Instead of ragging on the women for what they are wearing, we instead be thankful that we have both good looking and good golfers all rolled into one. I mean could you imagine going the rest of your life having to watch females looking like Karrie Webb, Nancy Lopez or Laura Davies?

Quite crying over women's golf!!!!!!! For the most part they are getting hotter and their games are getting even better. BFD!!

I doubt that she paid for those clothes too. So therefore she had to get them from somewhere right? (Her Sponsers)

Instead of ragging on the women for what they are wearing, we instead be thankful that we have both good looking and good golfers all rolled into one. I mean could you imagine going the rest of your life having to watch females looking like Karrie Webb, Nancy Lopez or Laura Davies?

Quite crying over women's golf!!!!!!! For the most part they are getting hotter and their games are getting even better. BFD!!

Nancy Lopez was quite cute as a 19 year old just coming on the tour. She porked up a bit over the years so what .

The LPGA's dress code

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?mid=0&pid=56

24. Does the LPGA have a dress code?

Yes, the LPGA does have a dress code. We allow sleeveless and collarless shirts to be worn during play. There is no specific length requirement on shorts or skirts. Denim, cut-offs, workout clothes are not allowed.

The LPGA's dress code

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?mid=0&pid=56

24. Does the LPGA have a dress code?

Yes, the LPGA does have a dress code. We allow sleeveless and collarless shirts to be worn during play. There is no specific length requirement on shorts or skirts. Denim, cut-offs, workout clothes are not allowed.

So I guess that nixes my idea of having all the LPGA'rs wear 20 minute workout suites in leopard print. meow. :beach:

har har

True about the pewrson above, they are getting hotter and hotter, and they are even scoring lower and lower... a direct inverse relationship tho the score. hmm I thinks they better wear less and less if they wanna someone tell Gulbis...

Does anyone else remember a couple of years back when Pat Hurst and Annika had a US Women's Open playoff at Newport CC? Pat Hurst looked like she literally rolled out of bed and stumbled onto the course (and that was with a collared shirt on). Just goes to show that even someone who meets the "dress code" can look sloppy.

WW

search Jang Jeong on www.gettyimages.com. Her pants looked ten times tighter on TV.

75848101.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193954D253045690004F4D04C328ABEC669

As with many issues it is a matter degree. To my mind that "outfit" looks like a hundred degrees of cr@p and should not be let past the kitchens. It's easy to find the middle ground that most players comfortably adhere to so why do some have the need to take it to extremes? If I was boss of the LPGA I would be embarrassed and adherence to dress codes would be tightened by Monday morning.

The staff at the course would be better dressed than this girl - out of respect to the players and visitors. Players should dress well out of respect to the game and the public who ultimately pay their wages.

If you don't respect the game and the audience what the hell are you doing there apart from cashing cheques?

You know it's one of the only reasons we watch t he LPGA tour. Ha Ha

Agreed does anyone actually watch the LPGA for the golf :good:

I watch LPGA whenever they are on TV/Cable. I like to watch LPGA as much as PGA. I would rather watch LPGA than Championship and Nationwide .

Ditto. IMHO, watching the Seniors or minor-leaguers play is a waste of time.

I disagree. You can spot a lot of upcoming talent from watching a Nationwide or Callenge tour event :beach: