New to Golf! Loving it but also frustrated

Just recently started playing golf more and more over the past couple of months. Was playing with my brothers cheap clubs and got a set of Callaway X2 Hot Irons(A-4) and a Cobra ZL driver/3W combo for my birthday.

Having my own set has put me at the range more often and loving it. However, I have found out how frustrating this sport can be. The inconsistency is baffling. One day I'm on with my driver, hitting it straight 230-250, and then one day back to slicing it all over the place. I also just bought a Cleveland 60 degree to work on my chipping more, which is the most frustrating part of golf for me. Anyone have any tips or tricks for consistency? I understand practice but what's the best way to learn to chip around the green. Started by watching Phil's inside the short game video and loved it, but feel like it's a different type of swing to learn. Thoughts?

Now to invest in a good pair of wide golf shoes ?

Ping G410 SFT 10.5

Ping G410 2 Hybrid (17 Degree)

Ping G400 4 Hybrid 

Ping G410 4-PW

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10

Ping Glide 3.0 54/12

Ping Glide 2.0 58/10

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the best Golf Forum on earth and welcome to the great game of golf! Where are you in Tennessee?

Thanks man! I'm in Chattanooga. Yourself?

Ping G410 SFT 10.5

Ping G410 2 Hybrid (17 Degree)

Ping G400 4 Hybrid 

Ping G410 4-PW

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10

Ping Glide 3.0 54/12

Ping Glide 2.0 58/10

Ping Vault 2.0 Dale 

For chipping inside 20 yards of the green I find it easiest to have as few moving parts as possible. Keep the Y shape of your arms and club so the radius of your swing stays the same throughout and limit any body movement. Weight on the left side and just swing back and through letting the loft of the club do the work for you. Once you get that down it starts getting fun playing with different shots like the flop or bump 'n run. Hope you keep enjoying the game as the frustrations make the triumphs even better! Best of luck!

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Titleist 917F2 15* EvenFlow 6.0
Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana Blue S
Titleist 818 H1 4H, Titleist 913 5H
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW with PX 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Phantom X5.5

You said you bought a 60* to work on chipping. Try chipping with some of your other less lofted clubs. I love my 60* but I know some guys that can't hit one to save their life. I personally use my 55* for most of my shots around the green.

That's the beauty of the game, there are so many different ways to approach it.

Just go with what feels most comfortable to you and keep working on it.

Just recently started playing golf more and more over the past couple of months. Was playing with my brothers cheap clubs and got a set of Callaway X2 Hot Irons(A-4) and a Cobra ZL driver/3W combo for my birthday.

Having my own set has put me at the range more often and loving it. However, I have found out how frustrating this sport can be. The inconsistency is baffling. One day I'm on with my driver, hitting it straight 230-250, and then one day back to slicing it all over the place. I also just bought a Cleveland 60 degree to work on my chipping more, which is the most frustrating part of golf for me. Anyone have any tips or tricks for consistency? I understand practice but what's the best way to learn to chip around the green. Started by watching Phil's inside the short game video and loved it, but feel like it's a different type of swing to learn. Thoughts?

Now to invest in a good pair of wide golf shoes ?

Welcome to the game. Hopefully you enjoy it and leave the frustrations behind.

Only tip I'll offer is to only use the 60 when it's your only option. Such as "I have to clear this tall tree and land it 25 yards in front of me". Otherwise it's a very difficult club to master. I bladed way too many that went 100 yards when I needed it to go 30, and had way too many that I basically swung straight under without really even moving the ball to keep it from a very wet death in some greenside lake at an indeterminate course. That's all I got. Maybe I'm not the norm (surely I'm not the norm, but...) I've never been able to hit that silly club. I tend to add loft to my wedges anyways so it's always caused me more trouble than it's worth.

I only use a 60/Lob Wedge for a few key shots that require high/steep, short ball flight . For pitching and chipping, it's PW, AW and 56 sandwedge. I've also had great results using a 9 iron instead of a wedge on the edges of the green to "bump n run" the ball to a hole location that's on the oposite side of the green. .I'd recommend getting the feel for one club at time also, before adding lots of clubs to your bag. When I first started out, I learned with a PW and a 9 iron only way back when. These days I carry a PW, AW, SW and sometimes a LW.

Hey man, stick with it. It is not an easy sport but, it's the most satisfying game out there. When you pure a 7 iron or chip in from a bunker, drain that 15 footer, there's nothing like it. Will you make the tour(s)? Probably not, but, that's the cool. That's why there is a handicap system, to make it fair. On;y suggestion I have is

one, practice that short game a lot more than your long game.

two, find your go to club, for me its my 7 iron, when everything turns to a soup sandwich I know I can fall back on the trusty 7 to find the fairways

and three, remember its game, you give the pro shop money to play, so don't take it too seriously.

Welcome to golfwrx, lots of good people on here with great advice.

keep with the practice around the greens, even great golfers miss a green and being able to out it close and one putt is a score changer. i agree with most of the other comments, i use my 60 to flop over a bunker or where i need height, but ill take a 54 or even an AW to chip. much easier to hit and less room for a mishit. Back in high school golf our coach actually taught us to chip with an 8 iron from right off the green, i still do it from time to time.

There's inconsistency because the margin of error is so low. Even the best players in the world are inconsistent. Think of the world #1, where they can go out and shoot 65 one day, and 75 the next. A 10 shot difference, and they are the best in the entire world! So it should not surprise you if you even have something as large as a 15-20 shot difference from round to round.

I've also said it before, but golf is a game of several different skill sets. Driving a ball long and straight has very little to do with putting or chipping, for example, which is why you can be "on" one day with driving, but off with putting, and vice versa the next time.

While DJ is not my favorite golfer, someone asked him why or how he doesn't get mad on the course, and he said "I hit bad shots every single day, so what's there to be mad about?" or words to that effect.

i find that my swing gets grooved...then I peak with some phenomenal play...then it all breaks down...then i go back to the drawing table and youtube wealth of knowledge...and get better by understanding the issues...then rebuild...then wait to repeat..it's life ya know

Ping G410 LST 9* Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 4-5  16 Kaili 80
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

There's inconsistency because the margin of error is so low. Even the best players in the world are inconsistent. Think of the world #1, where they can go out and shoot 65 one day, and 75 the next. A 10 shot difference, and they are the best in the entire world! So it should not surprise you if you even have something as large as a 15-20 shot difference from round to round.

I've also said it before, but golf is a game of several different skill sets. Driving a ball long and straight has very little to do with putting or chipping, for example, which is why you can be "on" one day with driving, but off with putting, and vice versa the next time.

While DJ is not my favorite golfer, someone asked him why or how he doesn't get mad on the course, and he said "I hit bad shots every single day, so what's there to be mad about?" or words to that effect.

could not have written the above any better.

Ping G410 LST 9* Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 4-5  16 Kaili 80
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Best pros miss more than 50% of their shots but most of their misses are more manageable and some even consider good shots for our standard. Good ones usually accept their shots and move on. I've been shooting pars and under for the last few rounds and I miss shots on most holes, but I expect the miss and accept it. It's not the game of perfect, that's for sure.

Keep at it you'll get better.

Welcome to the game! As Hogan said, it's never too late to start wasting your life (heehee).

Titleist TSi2 10.75* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno 921 Forged, 4 - PW ~ Nippon NS PRO 950GH NEO

Vokey 52* 12F ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Vokey 58* 12D ~ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5