Let's revisit the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 shaft flex question...

Bimmer1

Since the Modus Tour 120 steel iron shaft has become somewhat common from most manufacturers these days and more people are playing them I was wondering if the general consensus regarding shaft flex is the same as it was previously.

Do they really play soft to flex? Would a Dynamic Gold S300 player actually feel more comfortable with the Modus 120 in X flex? Would the DG X100 player gravitate towards the Modus 120 TX?

I agree that they don't play soft to flex. It might be a feel thing, but I've tried the x and the stiff and the stiff was more comfortable for my 90mph 6 iron swing. I play PX 6.0 and the 120 stiff felt like the equivalent. I struggled with the x. I personally think that if you play the S300, go with 120 stiff. If you play x100, 120x.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

Wilson Staff Model CB, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 TI

Bettinardi QB6 SBS

The Modus 120 butt stiffness is quite soft compared to similar shafts. Typically butt stiffness represents the overall shaft stiffness but the 120 upsets that common convention. People contemplating the 120 would do well to demo the shafts to see how they like the feel since the shafts are somewhat unique in that regard.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

A little bit of a thread jack here.... I fell into the the 120x plays soft to flex deal. I use them and like them, but I dont feel my performance is maximized, because they play a little firmer than I like. I really don't feel the 120x play soft to flex, imo. I had AMT s400 in the same heads before my 120X, and while they didn't feel near as good, I think they performed a little better for me.

For anybody with experience, do the Modus 120X play stiffer than the Px LZ 6.0? Thanks.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* VA Comp Nemesys 65X
Titleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Hybrid PX Evenflow Riptide 85H 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Utility Iron Nippon Pro Modus 3 105S

Callaway Apex 21 5-AW DG 120 Tour Issue S400
Cobra King Black 54* Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Cobra King Black 58* Nippon Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for this question:

For anybody with experience, do the Modus 120X play stiffer than the Px LZ 6.0? Thanks.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* VA Comp Nemesys 65X
Titleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* Hybrid PX Evenflow Riptide 85H 6.5
PXG 0311X 4 Utility Iron Nippon Pro Modus 3 105S

Callaway Apex 21 5-AW DG 120 Tour Issue S400
Cobra King Black 54* Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Cobra King Black 58* Nippon Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”

Personal opinion during my testing.

the Modus/Nippon line, "FEEL" soft to flex, but personally this is all feel. Nessism explains the point of shaft design and butt/mid/tip stiffness that can cause the feel to be different. With that you can read the Nippon website how they taper their shafts for the ultra soft feel depending on their lines.

All in all.... do they play soft to flex NO, do they feel Soft to flex yes.

X100 are just harsh in general, Modus 120 stiff vs xstiff, both felt EXTREMELY soft in comparison, but where there difference is the shafts? NO not really other than actual launch as distance and spin were similar. Consistency for me was a little more wild only becuase of the decrease is static shaft weight, BUT once I got grooved in it. It felt great.

In closing, I did end up getting the 1150GH tours in stiff, the only reason? HALF the price for similar performance and feel. The X100 that I had were killing my body, 130gram harsh, demanding feel.

115gram stiff, ultra soft feeling, really took a load off my body especially around hole 15 & 16...... and again $30 per shaft (1150GH) vs $55 per shaft (Modus 120), $240 vs $440 total for 8 shafts PW-3iron,

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I play the 120 in S and I feel like that's right in the wheel house of stiff compared to all the other stiff shafts I've played. They are a higher launching shaft but they are very smooth compared to a DGS.

Also, E808...where are you seeing Modus³ shafts at $55/per??? I generally see them around $30-35.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I play the 120 in S and I feel like that's right in the wheel house of stiff compared to all the other stiff shafts I've played. They are a higher launching shaft but they are very smooth compared to a DGS.

Also, E808...where are you seeing Modus³ shafts at $55/per??? I generally see them around $30-35.

LOL Welcome to Hawaii......inflation/markup sucks, IN addition sorry $55 per shaft for me was installed, They did a lot of work, loft,lies, swing weight & grip reinstall.

I think the 1150GH they had in stock and they are stock offerings so they are abundant. The Modus for me was a special order.... so that is why $30 installed vs $55 installed.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Just purchased some 712 CBs with modus 120 stiff shafts off global golf (waiting on shipment) I have always played TT DG stiff shafts, but feel I'm probably a reg / stiff player.

7i swing speed = 70mph

Carry 145

Smooth swinger...

Should I really be playing something like the 950 / 1050gh for my swing speed?

I flight the ball lower in general, so could use some higher trajectory.

Can you point me to somewhere they are 30? I need one shaft and golfworks and everywhere else I have found is 37 plus shipping.

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Tour Ad VR 6

Ping G425 Max 16.5 Ventus Red 7

Taylormade SIM 20.5 Blueboard 83

Ping G25 20* Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple
Taylormade Combo P790 5-7

P770 8-AW Steelfiber FC 115
Ping Glide Stealth 56 WS and 60 ES
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Can you point me to somewhere they are 30? I need one shaft and golfworks and everywhere else I have found is 37 plus shipping.

Bump... Could use a set and would like to know where the best deal is.

Taylormade M1 460 9.5* HZRDUS Black 65g 6.5
Taylormade M1 Fairway 15* Fujikura Evolution II 757 X-Stiff
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19* KBS Graphite Hybrid Prototype 95x
Miura CB-1008 w/ Nippon Pro Modus3 120 X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*,54* and 58* w/ Nippon Wedge 125
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Can anyone speak to the weighting of the 120s vs that of the KBS Tour 120s? I have a set of Modus 120 I'm looking to swap into some Epons which currently have KBS 120 and am concerned about swingweight.

I should add that I'm an extremely amateur club tinkerer who's never done more than assemble a wedge. As I wrote this I realize I should probably just have someone else do it (but don't want to wait)

SIM2 Diamana PD 6x

Miura 1008 - MMT 125 TX

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Just purchased some 712 CBs with modus 120 stiff shafts off global golf (waiting on shipment) I have always played TT DG stiff shafts, but feel I'm probably a reg / stiff player.

7i swing speed = 70mph

Carry 145

Smooth swinger...

You may want to give the Modus 3 105 a look in regular hard stepped or stiff soft stepped. These definitely flight the ball on the high side, but it's a nice flat penetrating trajectory. I love my 105's.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Can anyone speak to the weighting of the 120s vs that of the KBS Tour 120s? I have a set of Modus 120 I'm looking to swap into some Epons which currently have KBS 120 and am concerned about swingweight.

I should add that I'm an extremely amateur club tinkerer who's never done more than assemble a wedge. As I wrote this I realize I should probably just have someone else do it (but don't want to wait)

kbs tours are counterbalanced.....so heads tend to swingweight very light....

I believe the kbs tour are 120 grams...modus 120 stiff is 114grams...

Probably should use a swingweight scale when building.....I always do..

7i swing speed = 70mph

Carry 145

Smooth swinger...

You may want to give the Modus 3 105 a look in regular hard stepped or stiff soft stepped. These definitely flight the ball on the high side, but it's a nice flat penetrating trajectory. I love my 105's.

have both modus 105 in stiff and reg....not a ton of difference really to me.....regular are no issue for me and i am bit faster than poster.....but release points and transitions are different

Like mentioned above it comes down to feel. The freq. of the Modus 120X compared to an X100 will read a big difference, but that comes down to shaft construction. Since frequency is read from the butt section of the golf club, a shaft like the Modus 120 with a soft butt will read softer. The X100 has a pretty consistent bend profile the entire length of the shaft, so it will read pretty true to flex if you were to frequency the shaft in multiple spots along the length of the shaft. The Modus 120X has a really stiff tip section and a soft butt section which will cause it to read softer and begin to read higher as you move down.

Long story short, what guys have said before me, it will feel softer which may take some getting use to, but they will play similar in regards to overall flex.

If you are interested in looking for something a little closer to the bend profile of the X100, take a look at the Modus 125. It has a more consistent bend profile, similar to the Dynamic Gold.

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

I recently switched from DG Pro r300 to Modus 120 stiff with zero issues. The 120 stiff feels very smooth to me, and I actually picked up a few yards over my previous irons (same lofts).

To the OP, I'd answer "yes" a player who likes s300 would translate to X in the 120s.

Callaway Epic Speed 9* / Ventus Blue 6-S
Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX75f-S

PXG Gen2 19* & 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S
Mizuno S18 52* 
Callaway Full Toe 58*

Odyssey Toulon Palm Beach

Like mentioned above it comes down to feel. The freq. of the Modus 120X compared to an X100 will read a big difference, but that comes down to shaft construction. Since frequency is read from the butt section of the golf club, a shaft like the Modus 120 with a soft butt will read softer. The X100 has a pretty consistent bend profile the entire length of the shaft, so it will read pretty true to flex if you were to frequency the shaft in multiple spots along the length of the shaft. The Modus 120X has a really stiff tip section and a soft butt section which will cause it to read softer and begin to read higher as you move down.

Long story short, what guys have said before me, it will feel softer which may take some getting use to, but they will play similar in regards to overall flex.

If you are interested in looking for something a little closer to the bend profile of the X100, take a look at the Modus 125. It has a more consistent bend profile, similar to the Dynamic Gold.

The entire profile of the 120 is softer, to include the tip. The 120 is not that tip stiff at all. They also both roughly follow the same pattern when plotted on a graph, but again, the 120 is softer through the entire profile vs the x100.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

I agree with the general consensus in that the Modus line does not "play/perform" soft to flex meaning that you won't over spin nor lose control with the Modus 120. My problem with this whole thread is that everyone is using a different baseline for what a stiff shaft should feel or perform like. Is the baseline a DG S300, KBS Tour, Project X etx?

For me the best description of the Modus 120 would be a more consistent performing version of a KBS Tour 120g stiff. Same feel in the flex but more consistent ball flight and dispersion.

I made my switch from DG S300 to Nippon Modus 120 stiff due to wanting to try the Modus 120 shaft. From my perspective they are both very similar. The Modus 120 might be a shade on the softer side, softer as in smooth feel. The Modus 120s have performed extremely well for me and I am completely satisfied with them.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

The entire profile of the 120 is softer, to include the tip. The 120 is not that tip stiff at all. They also both roughly follow the same pattern when plotted on a graph, but again, the 120 is softer through the entire profile vs the x100.

I disagree 110%

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

I agree with the general consensus in that the Modus line does not "play/perform" soft to flex meaning that you won't over spin nor lose control with the Modus 120. My problem with this whole thread is that everyone is using a different baseline for what a stiff shaft should feel or perform like. Is the baseline a DG S300, KBS Tour, Project X etx?

For me the best description of the Modus 120 would be a more consistent performing version of a KBS Tour 120g stiff. Same feel in the flex but more consistent ball flight and dispersion.

thought kbs tour 120 and ns pro modus 120 were very similar....cept the modus is a more forgiving shaft for me....if that makes sense...

For some reason kbs and my swing dont seem to jive....i do hit some great shots and ballflight is great but just seems hard to time the shaft correctly/consistently.....i don't seen to have as much of an issue in modus line....

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any guess at a recommendation here...

Currently gaming Cleveland 588 MB/CB combos with X100 AMT that are soft stepped once. I kind of wanted something between the S400 and X100. I like them. Don't love them. Flight and spin are alright. Feel fine but nothing special. Driver SS is 107-108mph. Not sure on iron speeds...6 iron is at 30* and is a 180-185 club. 7 iron is 34* and is a 168-172 club.

I hit the Pro Modus' earlier in the area but all the store had was the 105s. They were way too light for me but I loved the feel. I'm in a position where I can get a set of Pro Modus shafts but unfortunately won't have a chance to go test them out. I'm leaning toward the 120 line but not sure if I would fit into an S or X. I saw that the S is only 114g which worries me a little bit. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone have any guess at a recommendation here...

Currently gaming Cleveland 588 MB/CB combos with X100 AMT that are soft stepped once. I kind of wanted something between the S400 and X100. I like them. Don't love them. Flight and spin are alright. Feel fine but nothing special. Driver SS is 107-108mph. Not sure on iron speeds...6 iron is at 30* and is a 180-185 club. 7 iron is 34* and is a 168-172 club.

I hit the Pro Modus' earlier in the area but all the store had was the 105s. They were way too light for me but I loved the feel. I'm in a position where I can get a set of Pro Modus shafts but unfortunately won't have a chance to go test them out. I'm leaning toward the 120 line but not sure if I would fit into an S or X. I saw that the S is only 114g which worries me a little bit. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The 120S willbe around 106+- if they are cut to a standard playing length. That's probably not a huge difference from where your X100 mid iron comes in at(probably a little lighter) but they are also constant weight vs the AMT which are ascending weight. By the time you get to the wedges, that's probably at least 15 grams or more of a difference in shaft weight. That may be a great thing for you, or it may be aweful. The X would close that gap a little bit but would still be lighter. Both are going to be a bit stiffer than the 105s you did try.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

The 120S willbe around 106+- if they are cut to a standard playing length. That's probably not a huge difference from where your X100 mid iron comes in at(probably a little lighter) but they are also constant weight vs the AMT which are ascending weight. By the time you get to the wedges, that's probably at least 15 grams or more of a difference in shaft weight. That may be a great thing for you, or it may be aweful. The X would close that gap a little bit but would still be lighter. Both are going to be a bit stiffer than the 105s you did try.

Yeah...I'd probably have to do X if I did the 120s then. The 125's could be an option...but they have a completely different profile right?