Let's revisit the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 shaft flex question...

Bimmer1

The 120S willbe around 106+- if they are cut to a standard playing length. That's probably not a huge difference from where your X100 mid iron comes in at(probably a little lighter) but they are also constant weight vs the AMT which are ascending weight. By the time you get to the wedges, that's probably at least 15 grams or more of a difference in shaft weight. That may be a great thing for you, or it may be aweful. The X would close that gap a little bit but would still be lighter. Both are going to be a bit stiffer than the 105s you did try.

Yeah...I'd probably have to do X if I did the 120s then. The 125's could be an option...but they have a completely different profile right?

Yeah, I can' give numbers as they aren't in Tom's database. I think golfshaftreviews may have an EL diagram of them. I did try the prototype version a few years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about them though in terms of comparing them to one another.

In terms of being a lighter option than the X100s based on wight alone, absolutely.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

Yeah, I can' give numbers as they aren't in Tom's database. I think golfshaftreviews may have an EL diagram of them. I did try the prototype version a few years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about them though in terms of comparing them to one another.

In terms of being a lighter option than the X100s based on wight alone, absolutely.

I saw this on the Nippon site but to be honest don't know what exactly it means in terms of shaft performance

That's the EL profile showing you tip to butt stiffness of their shafts in relation to one another. It's a different way of measuring the way I posted above. They don't give numbers so a little harder to quantify but they basically show the 125 being a stiffer profile throughout the shaft over the 120 and 105 shafts of the same flex. 130 would be your stiffest shaft ouside of the lower part of the shaft where it's measured as being a little softer.

Odyssey MXM 1W

That's the EL profile

Minor correction and trivia to go along with it, it's EI, not EL.

It's from the beam theory equation for the bending stiffness (K = E*I) and used in the equations that tell us how much deflection will occur give a particular force on a beam

where:

E = elastic modulus

I = area moment of inertia

• 2 years later...
On 8/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, kiwii said:

I agree with the general consensus in that the Modus line does not "play/perform" soft to flex meaning that you won't over spin nor lose control with the Modus 120. My problem with this whole thread is that everyone is using a different baseline for what a stiff shaft should feel or perform like. Is the baseline a DG S300, KBS Tour, Project X etx?

For me the best description of the Modus 120 would be a more consistent performing version of a KBS Tour 120g stiff. Same feel in the flex but more consistent ball flight and dispersion.

I play FST KBS tour stiffs and want to pick up a set of Srixon 785s but they’re in a modus 120 X shaft , I’ve never hit a modus 120 X and wondering how much stiffer they would feel. Could you possibly give me some insight ?

I had the Modus 120 X in for about a month. It is a really good shaft, but overall static weight for me and feel was off. Having played X100 and PX 6.5s, I need more weight. I wanted to stick with the modus line so I went up to 120 TX. Ever since then, my iron play has come alive. I know the TX version of the shafts are different than 120 X. Stiffer throughout the shaft overall, especially in the tip.

9 minutes ago, Ckeller1984 said:

I had the Modus 120 X in for about a month. It is a really good shaft, but overall static weight for me and feel was off. Having played X100 and PX 6.5s, I need more weight. I wanted to stick with the modus line so I went up to 120 TX. Ever since then, my iron play has come alive. I know the TX version of the shafts are different than 120 X. Stiffer throughout the shaft overall, especially in the tip.

How fast is your swing speed?

42 minutes ago, Ckeller1984 said:

Had you looked at Modus 125, or even the Super Peening Blue?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

13 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Had you looked at Modus 125, or even the Super Peening Blue?

Super peening blue wasn't really available and when I hit the 120s I really gravitated towards the feel. Dispersion was good with the X, but i knew it could be a little tighter. That's where the TX came in and really made my ball sticking where I like it. 

• 5 months later...

I feel like the Modus can fit a larger group of people per flex.  The 120 S can be stable for even strong swingers who may normally fit in an X.  The flex part of it, as discussed plenty here, comes down to feel.  They do FEEL softer but perform really well.  I have played the X as well and they are playable for me but prefer the little bit softer feeling S to X.  They tend to fly higher than most shafts for me so the flight can also make you feel like you are in the wrong flex.  If you just trust it, the Modus is such a great iron shaft.

Taylormade SIM2  10.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60s

Titleist 917f2 16.5  Aldila Rogue Silver 70s

Ping G25  20  TFC 189s

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-P KBS $Taper 120

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/12, 58/10

Taylormade Spider X navy  34.5"

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility Rover

29 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I feel like the Modus can fit a larger group of people per flex.  The 120 S can be stable for even strong swingers who may normally fit in an X.  The flex part of it, as discussed plenty here, comes down to feel.  They do FEEL softer but perform really well.  I have played the X as well and they are playable for me but prefer the little bit softer feeling S to X.  They tend to fly higher than most shafts for me so the flight can also make you feel like you are in the wrong flex.  If you just trust it, the Modus is such a great iron shaft.

Are these your current gamers? Your signature shows the PX LZ.

3 hours ago, Nachosgrande said:

Are these your current gamers? Your signature shows the PX LZ.

I am back and forth between the J15 CB with LZ 6.5 and the Z785 with Modus 120 stiff.  

• Like 1

Ping G25  20  TFC 189s

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility Rover

4 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

The 120 'S' has a nearly identical bend profile as the Dynamic Gold 'R' flex .355 tip.  The same profile from butt, middle, & tip

14 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

The 120 'S' has a nearly identical bend profile as the Dynamic Gold 'R' flex .355 tip.  The same profile from butt, middle, & tip

Cool.... may have to try those next.

Ping G25  20  TFC 189s

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility Rover

26 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Cool.... may have to try those next.

The DG 'R' would also be a great wedge shaft match to the Modus 120 'S', for those looking for extra weight in the wedges.  Just have to make sure to build up the .580" butt diameter to get the grip sizing consistent, compared to the .600 of the Nippon

Edited by Cwebb

1 hour ago, Nachosgrande said:

Interesting. Would have figured LZ 6.5 and Modus 120 X or LZ 6.0 and Modus 120 S.

I find the lz 6.0 to play very soft, the modus 120 s more stable and smooth all the way through with better dispersion.  But the stiffer lz is better for me and I like the weight.  

• Like 1

Ping G25  20  TFC 189s

Snell MTB 

Jones Utility Rover

For me, the 120x tightened up dispersion quite a bit vs. the 120s.  The 120s felt really good, particularly in the long irons but I would miss left and right and was hard to control.  Night and day on dispersion when I went to 120x.  I played LZ6.0 prior to this and the 120x feels a bit smoother.  

• Like 1

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

Loving the Modus 120 Stiff in my irons.  I was always chasing low spin and low launch with shafts like PX and C-taper lites, etc.  Even did a fitting where I hit my c-taper lites better then anything but one small problem, they feel terrible to me on anything but a pure strike.  PX feels bad too for me.  Fitters always trying to fit for better numbers but with a mid release smooth tempo reality is all the irons shafts play similar enough.    

I bought the Modus 120 on a whim and best iron shafts I have played.  They are 'mid' weight which I like. I do not like heavy shafts like the DGS300 in the 130g range, nor do I like the lighter 100-105 g offerings.  The 114g is perfect tweener weight for me and I think weight is important aspect to iron shaft fitting.  Heavy weight shafts I throw the club, light weight I flip too much.  

Second, they do 'feel' softer but I like that and have no problems with dispersion.  In fact my dispersion is tighter and can go after a 5 iron and get a nice launch or I can hit a 3/4 9 iron and get a great feel.  I even found some wedges with same 120 Modus Stiff and the feel is there and I can flight them no problem.    Bonus for me I just swing the club and let it do the work instead of feeling like I have to go out of my way to load the shaft to see results.  

Edit: Driver SS 100-105 range, 7 iron 155-160 yards.  5 iron 180-185.   

Edited by bbfifas
  • Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff (Testing Sub 70 JB 58/12 with Modus 120)
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" 
Bridgestone Tour BX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, bbfifas said:

Loving the Modus 120 Stiff in my irons.  I was always chasing low spin and low launch with shafts like PX and C-taper lites, etc.  Even did a fitting where I hit my c-taper lites better then anything but one small problem, they feel terrible to me on anything but a pure strike.  PX feels bad too for me.  Fitters always trying to fit for better numbers but with a mid release smooth tempo reality is all the irons shafts play similar enough.    

I bought the Modus 120 on a whim and best iron shafts I have played.  They are 'mid' weight which I like. I do not like heavy shafts like the DGS300 in the 130g range, nor do I like the lighter 100-105 g offerings.  The 114g is perfect tweener weight for me and I think weight is important aspect to iron shaft fitting.  Heavy weight shafts I throw the club, light weight I flip too much.  

Second, they do 'feel' softer but I like that and have no problems with dispersion.  In fact my dispersion is tighter and can go after a 5 iron and get a nice launch or I can hit a 3/4 9 iron and get a great feel.  I even found some wedges with same 120 Modus Stiff and the feel is there and I can flight them no problem.    Bonus for me I just swing the club and let it do the work instead of feeling like I have to go out of my way to load the shaft to see results.  

Edit: Driver SS 100-105 range, 7 iron 155-160 yards.  5 iron 180-185.   

I was fitted into c taper lites... one problem... i absolutely hate the way they felt.. for me personally they felt boardy and dead and look like a graphite shaft but its steel. Now... i like graphite shafts but have used steel the past 6 years and like it more. In my fitting i swung the modus 120  and they felt great i asked the guy.... what are these???  He said they feel good for you but their not the best fit. As long as i hit my distances and the ball is not doing wacky stuff i dont care but he insisted they were awful for me.. the flight feel and distance didnt seem off but ok. Winded up doing my own picking and got the $taper 120.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I gamed X100 for years.  Liked the stability, but sometimes (towards the end of a round) my approach shots leaked right when I was tired.

About 2 months ago I picked up a set of Grindworks PR-202s that came with Modus 120X.  I wondered if I'd need to replace the Modus, given the lighter weight (and that I'd read they play a bit soft to flex compared to X100).

I now have about 6 rounds and 3-4 range sessions in these irons.  Haven't had to change a thing.  They feel better than the X100, my dispersion is as good (if not better) and I suspect the lighter weight is helping my consistency on the back 9.  

Titleist TS3 10.5*: Diamana DF 6X

Titleist 917D2 12* Tour Issue: Graphite Design XC 7X

Titleist 818H2 19* (set at 18*): Tensei Pro White 90X

Grindworks PR-202 4i, 6i-PW: Modus3 120X

Vega VW-08 50* (set at 48*): KBS 610 Wedge 125

Vega VW-10 52*: KBS Tour 120 FLT

Mizuno S18 54* DG TI S400

Yururi Gekku 58*: Modus 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Titleist ProV1x

• 6 months later...

Do these numbers look right as far as how the flex is measured? If so - the modus 120s's are very soft.

Further down in that thread they list the PX 6.0 at 356 or something...

source = https://forum.tourspecgolf.com/topic/43298-modus-series-flex-numbers/

Perhaps this might be useful info for others too so.. Below is a list of Modus series in the order from stiffest down to least stiff.  Also throwing in 950GH,  DG S200 and X100 for comparison.  All based on standard 5 iron length with similar weight heads. 

130 X   376 CPM

130 S   359 CPM

DG X100  354 CPM 

130 R   350 CPM

125 X   351 CPM

130 R   350 CPM

105 X   343 CPM

120 TX   342 CPM

950GH X   340 CPM

125 S   339 CPM

DG S200  335 CPM

120 X  327 CPM

105 S  327 CPM

950GH S  325 CPM

125 R  324 CPM

120 S  316 CPM

105 R  314 CPM 

950GH R 311 CPM

120 R  308 CPM 

Butt flex CPM is an awful way to measure them. Yes, they are a softer profile when compared to PX or DG of the same flex category.  Below is an example of one I just happened to have uploaded on golfwrx previously. 

image.png.9cc3e334855a938a19128d39ede6552e.png

• Like 1

Odyssey MXM 1W

8 hours ago, eht8266 said:

Do these numbers look right as far as how the flex is measured?

In addition to what @Golfrnut said (which is 100% correct), there is no one single standard way to take the butt frequency and turn it into a flex label.

8 hours ago, eht8266 said:

If so - the modus 120s's are very soft.

Yes - even if you look at the full profile and not just the butt frequency, a lot (but not all) of the Nippons are soft relative to other shaft manufacturers.

Personally, I think that's a bit part of the reason some people like them.   They allow people to try softer shafts than they normally would consider trying and find out they like it.   it's not for everyone but too many people can get too caught up in the flex label - which really is pretty meaningless thanks to the lack of any kind of standard for flex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1