2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

4 hybrid vs 4 iron

TheRIGERE

Since you're asking, I have to assume that you're struggling with the 4 iron?

If that is the situation, then by all means replace it with a hybrid. Just remember that you need to replace any given iron with a hybrid that is numbered one club higher than the iron you are trying to replace. That is ........ 5 Hyb replaces 4 iron, 4 Hyb replaces 3 iron, etc. While not always the case, that is the general rule.

If that is the situation, then by all means replace it with a hybrid. Just remember that you need to replace any given iron with a hybrid that is numbered one club higher than the iron you are trying to replace. That is ........ 5 Hyb replaces 4 iron, 4 Hyb replaces 3 iron, etc. While not always the case, that is the general rule.

That's really only the case when you play said Hybrids at stock length from the OEM.

My 5 Hybrid plays at 38.00"

My 5 Iron plays at 37.75"

The difference between the two is 2-4 yards. The 5 Hybrid is more carry, the 5 Iron is more roll.

OP, my best suggestion is get your Hybrids properly fit if you are about to commit to them.

That's really only the case when you play said Hybrids at stock length from the OEM.

The difference between the two is 2-4 yards. The 5 Hybrid is more carry, the 5 Iron is more roll.

OP, my best suggestion is get your Hybrids properly fit if you are about to commit to them.

this.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

are we talking the same lofts here?

always good to include lofts in these discussions for clarity

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

It depends on the person. Personally I'm really good with long irons (still bag a 2 iron) and I spin the crap out of hybrids and tend to hit them left a lot. So for me it would make no sense ever to switch my 4 iron with a hybrid. I hit 4 iron high with plenty of spin, I can flight it down more easily, and I have more control with it. All the hybrid does is spin more when I don't need it, go higher when I don't need it, and take shots out of my bag in the wind. No good.

As far as you're concerned OP, sounds like you struggle with 4 iron and are better with hybrids, so by all means you should be using the better performing club for you, the hybrid.

are we talking the same lofts here?

always good to include lofts in these discussions for clarity

Valid point.

5 Iron 28.0°

5 Hybrid 27.9°

thanks.

I like the hybrid's ability to hit out of the rough better than equivalent iron for me.

my 5H is 25* and 4i (maxfli revolution circa 2000) is 24*

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Im a 2 capp and use a ping g25 4 hybrid with a steel shaft. I have a shallow swing with long irons so hitting out of the rough is hard for me to get any height. The hybrid pops it out much easier and i can fly it into par 5s anywhere from 200-220. For wind shots i carry a driving iron or can use my 5 iron. Great option to have.

It depends on the person. Personally I'm really good with long irons (still bag a 2 iron) and I spin the crap out of hybrids and tend to hit them left a lot. So for me it would make no sense ever to switch my 4 iron with a hybrid. I hit 4 iron high with plenty of spin, I can flight it down more easily, and I have more control with it. All the hybrid does is spin more when I don't need it, go higher when I don't need it, and take shots out of my bag in the wind. No good.

As far as you're concerned OP, sounds like you struggle with 4 iron and are better with hybrids, so by all means you should be using the better performing club for you, the hybrid.

I used to hate hybrids to be honest but as I've wrapped my head around it and got past the mental block i had on them its an option now. I never had issues with long irons and frankly my 4 iron AP2 was my favorite in the bag.. I've switched to the i200 pings which I like quite a bit but there is more offset in the 4 (and even 5 but not as bad) than what I'm used to as Ive played blades my whole life. I started hitting this 4 hybrid at work this week and I'm like wow, I kinda dig the balls flight and I don't have to work nearly as hard as the 4 iron. I used to fight the high sling hook wth hybrids but the more I hit it I'm finding ways to work it quite nice... I also like the versatility for around the greens and rescue shots or even long fairway bunkers so I'm likely gonna pick one up and then just work on the destroyed ego of bag with four head covers in it lol

yeah, my 4 hybrid in the Apex is 23 and the Apex 5 iron is 23 but i just thought of something. A hybrid would probably go deeper for the higher swing speeds. My swing speed isnt that fast so it probably is more like a 5 for me and a 3 for you.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Every hybrid I have hit has longer carry than an iron of the same loft. I don't want either of them to roll out a lot. Vast majority of times, if I am hitting either my target is a green or a spot and I want them to stop. I play a Callaway Apex hybrid for that reason. It is designed to be swung like an iron and it hits and stops on greens. A hybrid that hits and takes off won't work for how I use it, even off a tee. If I want a tee shot with roll out, I hit a 4 wood.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Distances being a like, why wouldn't I want to replace the iron with the hybrid since its "easier" to hit and pretty much has a 7 iron traqcjectory and descent angle?

go

There is no reason, whatsoever, for the vast majority of golfers to carry a 4 iron in their bag.

4H all day long. Tried all day long to get the Adams 9031 23* out of my bag and its impossible. I've hit more career shots with it than most the clubs in my bag combined.

I flattened out my ball flight a lot with all the clubs through my bag, and when I did that I lost too much carry on the 4i to really warrant carrying it for anything but par 3 tee shots. So you just have to decide what you need that club for the most, if you have a bunch of 200+ yard par 3's on your course I could see not wanting to hit a hybrid on every one of them. If you want it for par 5 2nd shots or long par 4 shots, its money in the bank.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Distances being a like, why wouldn't I want to replace the iron with the hybrid since its "easier" to hit and pretty much has a 7 iron traqcjectory and descent angle?

go

There is no reason, whatsoever, for the vast majority of golfers to carry a 4 iron in their bag.

Why? Depending on loft it is a very useful club. Maybe one of the most useful. These days 4 irons are 20-22* which is around the 3 iron I grew up with. That club, before I could hit it well enough from the ground, was my punch club. Choke down on the grip play it a ball or so back and rip it 10' off the ground. I learned how to work the ball left and right with that shot and in doing so gave me the confidence to keep it in the bag and learn how to use it. Golfs not easy and hybrids have become the easy way out in my opinion, which is fine if you dont have the time to practice or the natural ability to swing long irons. Hell I use them from time to time but prefer an iron because thats what we had. I started at the end of wooden heads and well before hybrids. You had to learn how to hit it and practice the hell out of it or you'd have one shiny club in the bag and the rest beat to hell. Once I "mastered", and by that I mean became competent as only 6 guys have mastered golf and none on this site, I decided "well lets see what a 2 iron does", then a 1 iron (still fooling around with that one). To me having that punch shot or go to low runner off the tee is more important than having 8 wedges in the bag and still 2 putting.

Anyway, to the point, I have found that a hybrid is about a club longer than the corresponding lofted iron for me with stock manufacturer length. I have trimmed hybrids to match said corresponding iron and just about equalized the distance. I dont buy into the "hit down on it like an iron" crowd either for what its worth. When I do that its a hooker.

Like anything else, your mileage may vary. Swing your swing like Palmer said.

• Like 1

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

I used to hate hybrids to be honest but as I've wrapped my head around it and got past the mental block i had on them its an option now. I never had issues with long irons and frankly my 4 iron AP2 was my favorite in the bag.. I've switched to the i200 pings which I like quite a bit but there is more offset in the 4 (and even 5 but not as bad) than what I'm used to as Ive played blades my whole life. I started hitting this 4 hybrid at work this week and I'm like wow, I kinda dig the balls flight and I don't have to work nearly as hard as the 4 iron. I used to fight the high sling hook wth hybrids but the more I hit it I'm finding ways to work it quite nice... I also like the versatility for around the greens and rescue shots or even long fairway bunkers so I'm likely gonna pick one up and then just work on the destroyed ego of bag with four head covers in it lol

I've got 5 headcovers in my bag and IDRGAF.

If it improves your game, it goes in your bag.

I picked a hybrid over a 4-iron years ago and have kept it, even though I've tested 4-irons from time-to-time.

The clinchers for me are that I practice and play punched hybrid shots quite well + long chips with a hybrid are handy on occasion.

Punch out shots from under trees and from bare lies are also a surer and easier shot for me with a hybrid.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

To answer the OP, I don't know why you wouldn't. I know why I wouldn't, but I'm guessing we're very different.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

go

Why? Depending on loft it is a very useful club. Maybe one of the most useful. These days 4 irons are 20-22* which is around the 3 iron I grew up with. That club, before I could hit it well enough from the ground, was my punch club. Choke down on the grip play it a ball or so back and rip it 10' off the ground. I learned how to work the ball left and right with that shot and in doing so gave me the confidence to keep it in the bag and learn how to use it. Golfs not easy and hybrids have become the easy way out in my opinion, which is fine if you dont have the time to practice or the natural ability to swing long irons. Hell I use them from time to time but prefer an iron because thats what we had. I started at the end of wooden heads and well before hybrids. You had to learn how to hit it and practice the hell out of it or you'd have one shiny club in the bag and the rest beat to hell. Once I "mastered", and by that I mean became competent as only 6 guys have mastered golf and none on this site, I decided "well lets see what a 2 iron does", then a 1 iron (still fooling around with that one). To me having that punch shot or go to low runner off the tee is more important than having 8 wedges in the bag and still 2 putting.

Anyway, to the point, I have found that a hybrid is about a club longer than the corresponding lofted iron for me with stock manufacturer length. I have trimmed hybrids to match said corresponding iron and just about equalized the distance. I dont buy into the "hit down on it like an iron" crowd either for what its worth. When I do that its a hooker.

A hybrid isn't an easy way out any more than a 9 wood is, and they've had those a long time.

Other than that, I totally agree with your post. One of the most damaging mentalities is this idea of "gapping" IMO as if you hit 18 stock iron shots a round. Playing golf and not golf swing separates the good players again, in my opinion. I carry a 24* 4 iron as my lowest iron and it hits four shots. A 200 yard-ish line drive that runs out about 10 feet on a normal green. A choke down punch out of trees. A chip shot from the fringe (I like 4 instead of 8). A really low "stinger" tee shot that goes about shoulder height and moves violently right to left.

I like to think of my clubs as a collection of shots rather than "that's my 150 club, that's my 160 club, that's my 170 club etc..." because unless your playing somewhere with flat fairways, flat greens and no wind that shot isn't all that useful.

IMO of course.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I have put a 3/4h f6 in the bag, set at 22 degrees. I can hit it between 190 and 210, depending if I grip down on it or not. I guess I could try and play it at 19 if I want to use it more as a driving iron than a second shot club. I can hit my 965 5 iron about 185-195, but for anything over 190 carry, I am playing my 4h. Once I sorted out the lefts, this club has been money for me, but I do fully acknowledge that I don't play in an area where I have lots of wind to contend with. If I was still playing links golf, I'd probably be playing a 3i instead.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

go

A hybrid isn't an easy way out any more than a 9 wood is, and they've had those a long time.

Other than that, I totally agree with your post. One of the most damaging mentalities is this idea of "gapping" IMO as if you hit 18 stock iron shots a round. Playing golf and not golf swing separates the good players again, in my opinion. I carry a 24* 4 iron as my lowest iron and it hits four shots. A 200 yard-ish line drive that runs out about 10 feet on a normal green. A choke down punch out of trees. A chip shot from the fringe (I like 4 instead of 8). A really low "stinger" tee shot that goes about shoulder height and moves violently right to left.

I like to think of my clubs as a collection of shots rather than "that's my 150 club, that's my 160 club, that's my 170 club etc..." because unless your playing somewhere with flat fairways, flat greens and no wind that shot isn't all that useful.

IMO of course.

I may have come off as a dick in that post and for that I apologize. I totally agree with the collection of shots. I play golf on a course where your lucky to get a flat lie on a teebox let alone the fairway or rough. Sometimes my distance calls for a 8 iron but I need to hook a 6 iron low. To me thats the difference between real golf and driving range golf. I see way too many guys leaving shots on the table by saying "this is my x yard club so I have to use it". Golf is way more about seeing the shot and feeling it. Once I realized this and swallowed my pride, my scores came way down.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1