Golf Course Superintendent Ready to Answer Any Questions You May Have

55 minutes ago, mallrat said:

I honestly can’t see how they are effecting putts unless they are above the lip. 

I’m going to say something and I don’t mean it to be rude and am honestly not criticizing you. 

You must be very arrogant to think you know better than the Super or even members of the grounds crew or even need to tell the super how to do his job. No super I have ever met has that job by accident or lack of knowledge. Even if they don’t know something they have extensive resources to be able to help figure it out i.e., regional gcsaa’s, chemical reps, fellow classmates and other Supers. I can not imagine a super doing anything that he/she would think is not in the best interest of the course. 

Try talking to your super, every super or assistant should be happy to explain why they do something. Don’t approach it like you are telling him/her what to do. 

Once again, I’m sorry if that came across as rude, as it really wasn’t meant to be. And I wasn’t mad or frustrated, it was just weird to me that it sounds like you are trying to prove your super is doing something wrong which generally wouldn’t end well for anyone involved. 

Nevermind.  I am probably tilting at windmills anyway.  Thanks for your time.

47 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Nevermind.  I am probably tilting at windmills anyway.  Thanks for your time.

I honestly didn’t mean for that to come off as rude as it sounded. Maybe I’m not understanding what you are asking or I read what you are saying wrong. I would like to answer your question better or more in depth if I understood where you were taking it better. 

We have a couple lip savors but never use them on the course but we also change our cups every day. We are going to try and use them on our practice greens (we have 3) and on our 3 hole putting course, all of those get changed every couple days but with Covid we have removed all the cups and gone to those little practice flags that spikes on the ground and just stick in. 

3 hours ago, mallrat said:

I honestly didn’t mean for that to come off as rude as it sounded. Maybe I’m not understanding what you are asking or I read what you are saying wrong. I would like to answer your question better or more in depth if I understood where you were taking it better. 

We have a couple lip savors but never use them on the course but we also change our cups every day. We are going to try and use them on our practice greens (we have 3) and on our 3 hole putting course, all of those get changed every couple days but with Covid we have removed all the cups and gone to those little practice flags that spikes on the ground and just stick in. 

I found the section of the rules where the hole is defined.  Unfortunately it is as you said.

Hole

The finishing point on the putting green for the hole being played:

• The hole must be 4 ¼ inches (108 mm) in diameter and at least 4 inches (101.6 mm) deep.

• If a lining is used, its outer diameter must not exceed 4 ¼ inches (108 mm). The lining must be sunk at least 1 inch (25.4 mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil requires that it be closer to the surface.

If taken literally, the cup liner or the plastic cup saver rings can be set level with the green surface.  So I have no recourse.

1 hour ago, ode said:

My home course has a significant gnat problem.....any if the supers have a tip to pass along to the maintenance crew?  or are we pretty much screwed?

I’ve heard of a couple solutions that individuals have used with success. Mouth wash and dryer sheets. Use the alcohol based mouthwash to wipe down your skin. Same thing with the dryer sheets just wipe yourself down with a dryer sheet and they’ll stay away. As far as what brands I am not sure. I remember we had the green mouthwash in our locker rooms so scope winter green? I think it had something do with the alcohol though. 

as far as spraying for them there are products that can be put out by cart mounted foggers or with backpack blowing foggers they’ll usually take care  of the problem for 3-5 days. 

OK, I have one for you.  A well known links course uses Paspalum grass throughout the course.  They have a pretty exceptionally dry environment for a links course and use reclaimed water with high salinity (my terms could be completely wrong so treat this like a layman asking) to water the course for the most part.  This course has gone from playing extremely firm and fast as expected to basically being one of the softest courses I've played.  Any drive I hit basically has mud on it and stops where it lands.  Let's assume my launch angle might not be optimal but is acceptable as my index is 2.3 so it isn't like I'm popping up every drive.  What do they need to do to fix this issue?  It has now been going on for at least 4 years when I have visited at a bunch of different times of the year so it isn't weather.  The super has many excuses but none of them make sense to me logically.

1 hour ago, BNGL said:

I’ve heard of a couple solutions that individuals have used with success. Mouth wash and dryer sheets. Use the alcohol based mouthwash to wipe down your skin. Same thing with the dryer sheets just wipe yourself down with a dryer sheet and they’ll stay away. As far as what brands I am not sure. I remember we had the green mouthwash in our locker rooms so scope winter green? I think it had something do with the alcohol though. 

as far as spraying for them there are products that can be put out by cart mounted foggers or with backpack blowing foggers they’ll usually take care  of the problem for 3-5 days. 

Thanks.

There is a spray with some sort of extract/essential oil in it that is sold locally, as well as at the course....it helps keep them further away.  I've used avon bath oil with some success on my hat, around my ears.  When I walk with my push cart I put my umbrella up and it keeps them away while walking, but as soon as I get out from under it, they are on me!

I'm asking for suggestions for the course to deal with it....I know it's not likely much that can be done, but ?? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mallrat said:

Does anyone know if Augusta ever stripes their course, fairways, collections? Heck I don’t even recall stripes on greens. I didn’t know if they eliminated everything for the Masters or if that is the norm.

This article says they never stripe the fairways and use a “double freakie” pattern for the greens. 

https://golf.com/lifestyle/secrets-augusta-national-grounds-crew/

Edited by mjbfyb

• 5 months later...
On 7/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, BNGL said:

Good Afternoon GolfWRX,

As the title says hit me up with any questions that you may have in relation to golf course agronomy, or why certain practices are done at certain times. Whatever the question you have, if I don't have the answer I will provide it for you.

Fairways, Greens, and remember to repair your ball marks!

I would like to know is the only way to prevent Poona to creeping into greens by top dressing as we live in the eastern seaboard and will be receiving frost warning in the coming days  

7 hours ago, Patrick Flanagan said:

I would like to know is the only way to prevent Poona to creeping into greens by top dressing as we live in the eastern seaboard and will be receiving frost warning in the coming days  

Hmmm well I haven’t heard of that being a solution for poa annua control. But topsressing ahead of cooler weather is an effective means of protecting the plant. It’s just helps provides an insulating layer to protect the crown from dehydrating during cooler period. Same reason northern clubs tarp and cover their greens. I guess the theory could be that a healthy turf stand will choke out any invasive such as poa.

On superintendent appreciation day…Thank you to @BNGL @mallrat and all the Supers out there for the hard work snd care you put into the job.   I know as one of my best friends is a Super of 30 years experience. And If everyone took as much pride in their job as he does, it would be a great thing. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

5 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

On superintendent appreciation day…Thank you to @BNGL @mallrat and all the Supers out there for the hard work snd care you put into the job.   I know as one of my best friends is a Super of 30 years experience. And If everyone took as much pride in their job as he does, it would be a great thing. 

+1000

I get to play most every week on the course where @mallrat works, and can attest firsthand to the superb quality of playing conditions these guys achieve on a regular basis.  Many thanks!

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I read a tweet from a Super the other day that could not be any more accurate…

”Before you criticize a Super put yourself in his shoes. Every day we do the best with what we have. No Super has ever come in and said “I think I’m just going to half-@55 it today.”

For all golfers, a wave, a thumbs up or a smile goes a long way with us and remember, we want to be out of your way more than you want us out of your way. 

Fairways and greens fellow WRXers’

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mallrat said:

I read a tweet from a Super the other day that could not be any more accurate…

”Before you criticize a Super put yourself in his shoes. Every day we do the best with what we have. No Super has ever come in and said “I think I’m just going to half-@55 it today.”

For all golfers, a wave, a thumbs up or a smile goes a long way with us and remember, we want to be out of your way more than you want us out of your way. 

Fairways and greens fellow WRXers’

This is such a good post, and so true, especially the bolded part. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one might be a little different fro course maintenance  … my course just had its annual meeting. With that came changes in the board and a call to members to fill various committees. I am one of those being asked to volunteer - while I feel that every member should volunteer somewhere every few years to help run the club, I am not sure the greens committee is for me.

I did read the 28 page booklet from the USGA, but I still wonder

What makes a good greens committee (or for that matter a bad one)? At the end of the year, how do you know the greens committee did a good job? 

Part of my thinking is my club has a GM who would manage both the super and the greens comm. Does a GM change your expectations of a greens committee for what I’ve read online? I mean is the greens committee something to be endured as long as the GM is happy??

when I started writing this post I was convinced the greens committee would be the most interesting and I would learn the most. Now I’m wondering if I should look more into the golf committee :). Anyway thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by ShortStick
Added a sentence

I would love to know more about mowing fairways. Specifically, what is the best time of day to mow? If you can't mow before play starts is there good ways to not disrupt play and mow during play?

For instance is it feasible to block off a few tee times and have the mowers move at the pace of play?

On 10/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, ShortStick said:

This one might be a little different fro course maintenance  … my course just had its annual meeting. With that came changes in the board and a call to members to fill various committees. I am one of those being asked to volunteer - while I feel that every member should volunteer somewhere every few years to help run the club, I am not sure the greens committee is for me.

I did read the 28 page booklet from the USGA, but I still wonder

What makes a good greens committee (or for that matter a bad one)? At the end of the year, how do you know the greens committee did a good job? 

Part of my thinking is my club has a GM who would manage both the super and the greens comm. Does a GM change your expectations of a greens committee for what I’ve read online? I mean is the greens committee something to be endured as long as the GM is happy??

when I started writing this post I was convinced the greens committee would be the most interesting and I would learn the most. Now I’m wondering if I should look more into the golf committee :). Anyway thanks for any thoughts.

From my perspective, what would I want out of a greens committee I report too?

- First and foremost protection, not in my job but I would want it known that course improvements go through the committee, not every member coming up to me individually and telling me what they would like changed or done different. 

- Feedback can go both ways, give the super positive and negative feedback. 

- Ask the super what he would like to see or changes he would like to make and then discuss it later. He may have some outstanding ideas, most have very strong opinions on what makes a good/great course. 

- Support him, even if certain conditions are unacceptable ask him what he/she needs to address/fix them. 

- Figure out what is realistic, what needs improvement/changing and what is just members complaining. 

- Start something that you can hang your hat on when you leave and say it was yours. Example, start a monthly divot party; have beer and wine and have the Super/Asst/Foreman’s take a group and knock out a few holes, let the members get to know them a bit and you have no idea how much those hours mean to the Super in terms of doing other things. Or a member at a previous course bought pizza for the whole crew on opening and closing day, every person on that crew knew it and would do anything for that member. Or have a yearly education day, have the Super/Assts come in or meet on the range and go over equipment and what it does or why it’s done that way. 

Hope this helps. 

On 10/4/2021 at 2:36 PM, 2bGood said:

I would love to know more about mowing fairways. Specifically, what is the best time of day to mow? If you can't mow before play starts is there good ways to not disrupt play and mow during play?

For instance is it feasible to block off a few tee times and have the mowers move at the pace of play?

I have heard some people swear by a dry mow; sometime when the grass is dry, but I’ve never started a mow when all dew, water, moisture is gone. Also I imagine mid day since the grass will be standing up a bit more. 

That said, I’ve never seen a course where fairway mowers can keep up with play. My current course is pretty fast, 4 hours mowing loops to 4 1/2 mowing stripes. Now you take out the par 3’a and they are moving slower than play. Fairways are also the worst for disrupting play also. Greens you can move or hustle or let groups play up then start mowing again but fairways you are just in the way the whole time. 

• 1 month later...

Down here in Arizona, our season is starting and most courses are out of overseed. Rather than overseed with 100% rye, a local course did 85% rye and 15% poa trivialis.  Fairways came in lush and any bare spots filled

in nicely.  Also heard come spring the poa will

die off in heat which will help the Bermuda grow in.

Have you heard of this?  Any thoughts?

16 hours ago, mallrat said:

I personally have 0 experience with overseeding. I’m curious though if it’s a P-rye shortage or cost issue. Rye seeds more than tripled in price this year (a pallet went from around $3k to almost 10k.) 

Seed pricing is up because of severe shortages. In Oregon, where my company gets seed, the summer heat wave killed 25-40% of the crop. The previous record temperature was 101*, and it got up to 116* and it was in the high 90*s for a week or more right before the harvest. The new crop won’t be available until July, so the seed shortage will be even worse in early 2022. 

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

4 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Seed pricing is up because of severe shortages. In Oregon, where my company gets seed, the summer heat wave killed 25-40% of the crop. The previous record temperature was 101*, and it got up to 116* and it was in the high 90*s for a week or more right before the harvest. The new crop won’t be available until July, so the seed shortage will be even worse in

early 2022. 

who do you get your seed from? 

Our course hit 119* during the heat wave but we’re about 30 miles from the major seed farms. There are a couple major turf farms down the street but they don’t do seeds. 

My boss (the Super) lives in the middle of seed country and he bought 5 pallets from his friends before prices went up, so luckily we have plenty for winter projects. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mallrat said:

who do you get your seed from? 

Our course hit 119* during the heat wave but we’re about 30 miles from the major seed farms. There are a couple major turf farms down the street but they don’t do seeds. 

My boss (the Super) lives in the middle of seed country and he bought 5 pallets from his friends before prices went up, so luckily we have plenty for winter projects. 

I work for a landscape supply distributor. We get our stock seed from Riches in Silverton, but I think they are the ones who are just the processors and baggers. 

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious and haven’t really seen it brought up…

Anyone have any questions about chemicals, spraying or involved in what we apply to the course?

I bring this up because a school by me sprayed their soccer fields a little while ago. They sprayed Crossroads, a broadleaf herbicide, and some parents (lord help us from FaceBook group moms) and posted a sign about staying off the field until the chemical dried. The amount of false/wrong information being spewed was insane. 

47 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Just curious and haven’t really seen it brought up…

Anyone have any questions about chemicals, spraying or involved in what we apply to the course?

I bring this up because a school by me sprayed their soccer fields a little while ago. They sprayed Crossroads, a broadleaf herbicide, and some parents (lord help us from FaceBook group moms) and posted a sign about staying off the field until the chemical dried. The amount of false/wrong information being spewed was insane. 

Im curious what is in most sprays that are put out on courses at various times.  A couple I encounter frequently:

1. a slimy foam that makes the ball slippery.

2. a spray that looks green and turns the liquid on the ball and putter green (is this a herbicide dyed for visibility or grass paint?)

14 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Im curious what is in most sprays that are put out on courses at various times.  A couple I encounter frequently:

1. a slimy foam that makes the ball slippery.

2. a spray that looks green and turns the liquid on the ball and putter green (is this a herbicide dyed for visibility or grass paint?)

The foam is most likely just a foam marker that is sprayed from the tips of the application machine so the operator knows where he or she has sprayed. The foam is not the primary chemical being sprayed, but it comes out every so often in a little blob as the applicator is spraying a path. As far as the green paint, if it’s over the winter in the south, it could be just paint to green up dormant turf. If it’s in the summer, it is most likely an additive put into fungicides to keep the sun from breaking it down. It would be something like Bayer Exteris Stressgard. I would definitely not lick your fingers if you get any of that stuff on you. Wash it off as soon as you can.

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna