Golf Course Superintendent Ready to Answer Any Questions You May Have

55 minutes ago, mallrat said:

I honestly can’t see how they are effecting putts unless they are above the lip. 

I’m going to say something and I don’t mean it to be rude and am honestly not criticizing you. 

You must be very arrogant to think you know better than the Super or even members of the grounds crew or even need to tell the super how to do his job. No super I have ever met has that job by accident or lack of knowledge. Even if they don’t know something they have extensive resources to be able to help figure it out i.e., regional gcsaa’s, chemical reps, fellow classmates and other Supers. I can not imagine a super doing anything that he/she would think is not in the best interest of the course. 

Try talking to your super, every super or assistant should be happy to explain why they do something. Don’t approach it like you are telling him/her what to do. 

Once again, I’m sorry if that came across as rude, as it really wasn’t meant to be. And I wasn’t mad or frustrated, it was just weird to me that it sounds like you are trying to prove your super is doing something wrong which generally wouldn’t end well for anyone involved. 

Nevermind.  I am probably tilting at windmills anyway.  Thanks for your time.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The late aerifications (November December January) are possible and in theory it makes sense. So you can punch literally anytime of year, you just have to have realistic expectations for recovery time

> @vaca22 said: > > @augustgolf said: > > vaca22 wrote: > > > > > > > > My friend is one of 5 assistants being considered for th superintendent's job

> @smashdn said: > Next question, this one regarding bunkers. > > If you had contamination in your bunker sand from red clay, your fabric underlayer has been compromised and torn in pl

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Nevermind.  I am probably tilting at windmills anyway.  Thanks for your time.

I honestly didn’t mean for that to come off as rude as it sounded. Maybe I’m not understanding what you are asking or I read what you are saying wrong. I would like to answer your question better or more in depth if I understood where you were taking it better. 

We have a couple lip savors but never use them on the course but we also change our cups every day. We are going to try and use them on our practice greens (we have 3) and on our 3 hole putting course, all of those get changed every couple days but with Covid we have removed all the cups and gone to those little practice flags that spikes on the ground and just stick in. 

3 hours ago, mallrat said:

I honestly didn’t mean for that to come off as rude as it sounded. Maybe I’m not understanding what you are asking or I read what you are saying wrong. I would like to answer your question better or more in depth if I understood where you were taking it better. 

We have a couple lip savors but never use them on the course but we also change our cups every day. We are going to try and use them on our practice greens (we have 3) and on our 3 hole putting course, all of those get changed every couple days but with Covid we have removed all the cups and gone to those little practice flags that spikes on the ground and just stick in. 

I found the section of the rules where the hole is defined.  Unfortunately it is as you said.

Hole

The finishing point on the putting green for the hole being played:

• The hole must be 4 ¼ inches (108 mm) in diameter and at least 4 inches (101.6 mm) deep.

• If a lining is used, its outer diameter must not exceed 4 ¼ inches (108 mm). The lining must be sunk at least 1 inch (25.4 mm) below the putting green surface, unless the nature of the soil requires that it be closer to the surface.

If taken literally, the cup liner or the plastic cup saver rings can be set level with the green surface.  So I have no recourse.

1 hour ago, ode said:

My home course has a significant gnat problem.....any if the supers have a tip to pass along to the maintenance crew?  or are we pretty much screwed?

I’ve heard of a couple solutions that individuals have used with success. Mouth wash and dryer sheets. Use the alcohol based mouthwash to wipe down your skin. Same thing with the dryer sheets just wipe yourself down with a dryer sheet and they’ll stay away. As far as what brands I am not sure. I remember we had the green mouthwash in our locker rooms so scope winter green? I think it had something do with the alcohol though. 

as far as spraying for them there are products that can be put out by cart mounted foggers or with backpack blowing foggers they’ll usually take care  of the problem for 3-5 days. 

OK, I have one for you.  A well known links course uses Paspalum grass throughout the course.  They have a pretty exceptionally dry environment for a links course and use reclaimed water with high salinity (my terms could be completely wrong so treat this like a layman asking) to water the course for the most part.  This course has gone from playing extremely firm and fast as expected to basically being one of the softest courses I've played.  Any drive I hit basically has mud on it and stops where it lands.  Let's assume my launch angle might not be optimal but is acceptable as my index is 2.3 so it isn't like I'm popping up every drive.  What do they need to do to fix this issue?  It has now been going on for at least 4 years when I have visited at a bunch of different times of the year so it isn't weather.  The super has many excuses but none of them make sense to me logically.

1 hour ago, BNGL said:

I’ve heard of a couple solutions that individuals have used with success. Mouth wash and dryer sheets. Use the alcohol based mouthwash to wipe down your skin. Same thing with the dryer sheets just wipe yourself down with a dryer sheet and they’ll stay away. As far as what brands I am not sure. I remember we had the green mouthwash in our locker rooms so scope winter green? I think it had something do with the alcohol though. 

as far as spraying for them there are products that can be put out by cart mounted foggers or with backpack blowing foggers they’ll usually take care  of the problem for 3-5 days. 

Thanks.

There is a spray with some sort of extract/essential oil in it that is sold locally, as well as at the course....it helps keep them further away.  I've used avon bath oil with some success on my hat, around my ears.  When I walk with my push cart I put my umbrella up and it keeps them away while walking, but as soon as I get out from under it, they are on me!

I'm asking for suggestions for the course to deal with it....I know it's not likely much that can be done, but ?? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mallrat said:

Does anyone know if Augusta ever stripes their course, fairways, collections? Heck I don’t even recall stripes on greens. I didn’t know if they eliminated everything for the Masters or if that is the norm.

This article says they never stripe the fairways and use a “double freakie” pattern for the greens. 

https://golf.com/lifestyle/secrets-augusta-national-grounds-crew/

Edited by mjbfyb