Stricter Dress Code Coming For LPGA

Why do you feel so strongly about this issue......What do you feel will be so terrible about the outcome of this?

I would not say that I feel 'strongly' about this issue, but I do find it more than just a little bit interesting. I hate to see any professional 'association' (like the LPGA) shoot themselves in the foot and do damage to themselves.

The LPGA seems to take two steps forward and one step back, then takes one step forward and three steps back. They can't get out of their own way at times. In my opinion, and obviously in the opinion of a significant number of both LPGA players and fans (as well as the non-golf public), this new dress code was not necessary and was handled in a very poor way - meaning (if necessary) it should have been dealt with on an individual one-on-one basis, and in a private manner. Once again, the LPGA has shown everyone how they continue to keep tripping all over themselves. And, I do not think that I am the only one that thinks this...

Maybe it will be handled in a private manner going forward if someone breaks the rule, we don't know yet. The players have to be told about the new rule before it can be enforced. That was done via email to all the players.

Point is - making a new dress code policy was not needed.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LPGA seems to take two steps forward and one step back, then takes one step forward and three steps back. They can't get out of their own way at times.

What do you base this on? In business terms the LPGA seems to have been growing since Michael Whan was named commissioner. Total purse is at an all-time high, and the tournament schedule is as packed as ever.

http://www.lpga.com/...le-announcement

You are only comparing it to its previous self. If you had a very mediocre business that performed the same type of business as [for example] the PGA, NFL, Pro-Tennis, Amazon, Toyota, Exxon, Apple, Starbucks, etc. - and you increased your purse or your schedule or your sales or your paying customer/clients by a significant amount (say 15%), you would still be considered mediocre compared to other elite businesses in your same business category. The LPGA talking-heads can tout their improvement and growth and pat themselves on their own back all they want about their increase in purses or their packed schedule, but the truth of the matter is the LPGA is way (WAY) behind where they could be...and should be. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to know that...

Comparing to the same type of business they are doing quite well as compared to the LET or KLPGA. You should not compare the women to the PGA as a same type any more than you can really compare the NFL to Arena league(or whatever it's called now). If you do a poor comparison the LPGA seems to be growing. Is the PGA?

If the LPGA was doing well and considered strong it would have much, much stronger purses and attendances, and better television coverage. If anything, what the new dress code does is harmful, not an improvement.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

The LPGA seems to take two steps forward and one step back, then takes one step forward and three steps back. They can't get out of their own way at times.

What do you base this on? In business terms the LPGA seems to have been growing since Michael Whan was named commissioner. Total purse is at an all-time high, and the tournament schedule is as packed as ever.

You are only comparing it to its previous self. If you had a very mediocre business that performed the same type of business as [for example] the PGA, NFL, Pro-Tennis, Amazon, Toyota, Exxon, Apple, Starbucks, etc. - and you increased your purse or your schedule or your sales or your paying customer/clients by a significant amount (say 15%), you would still be considered mediocre compared to other elite businesses in your same business category. The LPGA talking-heads can tout their improvement and growth and pat themselves on their own back all they want about their increase in purses or their packed schedule, but the truth of the matter is the LPGA is way (WAY) behind where they could be...and should be. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to know that...

Comparing to the same type of business they are doing quite well as compared to the LET or KLPGA. You should not compare the women to the PGA as a same type any more than you can really compare the NFL to Arena league(or whatever it's called now). If you do a poor comparison the LPGA seems to be growing. Is the PGA?

That's like saying Peggy's Coffee Shop had revenue of $20,000 in 2015 and $23,000 in 2016, showing annual growth of a massive 15%. But, Peggy's Coffee Shop is still a poor business model even though it is growing.

That's like saying Peggy's Coffee Shop had revenue of $20,000 in 2015 and $23,000 in 2016, showing annual growth of a massive 15%. But, Peggy's Coffee Shop is still a poor business model even though it is growing.

Peggy's cannot compare herself to Starbucks.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Peggy's cannot compare herself to Starbucks.

I did not compare Peggy's Coffee Shop to another business. Peggy's Coffee Shop stood on its own. I said that Peggy's Coffee Shop was still a poor business model even though it had a massive 15% increase in revenue from the year before. Since the similarity comparison to the LPGA went over your head, let me explain the comparison. Just because the LPGA might have a total purse that is at an all-time high and the tournament schedule is as packed as ever does not mean anything if the business model is only firing on a fraction of all its potential cylinders.

Sigh, Strike in the post you made earlier you said that they make no progress, and actually are losing ground, as every step was accompanied by backwards steps. When Legitimate pointed out their growth you changed your post to meaning that compared to others their growth meant zilch. When I point out it's a poor comparison, not apples to apples, you decide Peggy's is a bad business. Clearly you just want to disagree so do it with someone else. I'm not interested.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Sigh, Strike in the post you made earlier you said that they make no progress, and wanting are losing ground, as every step was accompanied by backwards steps. When Legitimate pointed out their growth you changed your post to meaning that compared to others their growth meant zilch. When I point out it's a poor comparison, not apples to apples, you decide Peggy's is a bad business. Clearly you just want to disagree so do it with someone else. I'm not interested.

Clearly the LPGA is not catching-up to where they belong. If you think that's a good thing and you're okay and happy with where the LPGA stands - that's fine by me. But, I personally think it is stale and the people in charge can hardly walk for all the bullet holes they've shot in their feet.

It seems like the logic of quite a few posters centers on how LPGA players should dress in order to increase male viewership. I wonder about a converse possibility--how should PGA players dress to increase female viewership? Or are these not more or less equal situations? Are women less concerned about how PGA players dress than men are about LPGA players?

Sigh, Strike in the post you made earlier you said that they make no progress, and wanting are losing ground, as every step was accompanied by backwards steps. When Legitimate pointed out their growth you changed your post to meaning that compared to others their growth meant zilch. When I point out it's a poor comparison, not apples to apples, you decide Peggy's is a bad business. Clearly you just want to disagree so do it with someone else. I'm not interested.

Clearly the LPGA is not catching-up to where they belong. If you think that's a good thing and you're okay and happy with where the LPGA stands - that's fine by me. But, I personally think it is stale and the people in charge can hardly walk for all the bullet holes they've shot in their feet.

Where do they belong?

For the most part the sports that get the most viewership are selling people on "these people are the best in the world at this game". As soon as you add in some qualifier, such as "these are the best in the world with a certain set of reproductive organs", or "these are the best in the world over or under a certain age", or "these people are awesome but there are better people in another league" (minor league sports, etc) viewership drops off enormously, and the money drops off too.

So that's the LPGAs main issue as far as marketability is concerned, and the champions tour, and web.com, and so on.

Why do you feel so strongly about this issue......What do you feel will be so terrible about the outcome of this?

I would not say that I feel 'strongly' about this issue, but I do find it more than just a little bit interesting. I hate to see any professional 'association' (like the LPGA) shoot themselves in the foot and do damage to themselves.

The LPGA seems to take two steps forward and one step back, then takes one step forward and three steps back. They can't get out of their own way at times. In my opinion, and obviously in the opinion of a significant number of both LPGA players and fans (as well as the non-golf public), this new dress code was not necessary and was handled in a very poor way - meaning (if necessary) it should have been dealt with on an individual one-on-one basis, and in a private manner. Once again, the LPGA has shown everyone how they continue to keep tripping all over themselves. And, I do not think that I am the only one that thinks this...

Maybe it will be handled in a private manner going forward if someone breaks the rule, we don't know yet. The players have to be told about the new rule before it can be enforced. That was done via email to all the players.

Point is - making a new dress code policy was not needed

In your opinion. You keep stating your opinion like it is fact and it isn't.

To some/few/many who play on tour it needed addressing and now has been. Your opinion is irrelevant as is mine.

One thing many people haven't mentioned or talked about is the sponsors. The LPGA is VERY dependent on the pro-ams and dinners. Maybe the sponsors or players made comments to some players and it was the players addressing it for the sponsors.

Also, this would be the 2nd week of the new code and I have not seen anyone dress any different than they normally do. It's not like they said no racerbacks, just add a collar (which Lexi wears a lot). Leggings, ok just wear them under something. Skirt, shorts, skorts no problem just make sure your bum is covered. Athletic shirt, as long as it has a collar. Stop acting like they are being forced to wear habits or cover all skin at all times.

You know this how?

Do you really think that 'most' LPGA players (in lieu of only a tiny minority) brought this dress issue to the LPGA board? Really! Come on - surely you are not serious...

I would have bet a ton of money that Lewis and Kim were two of the tour members that initiated it.

May be...and I would not be surprised, but (if so) that is only two LPGA tour players...representing just a tiny fraction of all the tour players.

But they are also 2 of like 8 players who make up the advisory council, which I believe are chosen by other players. So they probably speak for more players than you think.

I don't get this LPGA isn't where it should be. They currently are about even with where the PGA was pre-Tiger. Yes the PGA purses have taken off on a ridiculous trajectory but is that sustainable? I could argue that the LPGA purses are at a point where they are more sustainable or able to achieve more growth than the men. Their coverage has been poor at best. They are adding tournaments and expanding globally. How is that a bad thing?

Maybe part of this has to do with foreign sponsor dollars as well. Maybe we forget that many countries where a larger percentage of women golf are extremely conservative in what they view as appropriate dress for women.

Where do they belong?

For the most part the sports that get the most viewership are selling people on "these people are the best in the world at this game". As soon as you add in some qualifier, such as "these are the best in the world with a certain set of reproductive organs", or "these are the best in the world over or under a certain age", or "these people are awesome but there are better people in another league" (minor league sports, etc) viewership drops off enormously, and the money drops off too.

So that's the LPGAs main issue as far as marketability is concerned, and the champions tour, and web.com, and so on.

For the most part, yes, except in tennis, where the women have comparable purse and viewership.

And that's what the women's golfers always say they are shooting for, to become like tennis.

To those of you who watch the LPGA for the titillation factor there's this called the Internet that can help you out.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I always find it amusing when an average Joe on an internet forum thinks they know more about running a business than someone who is recruited,hired, and paid big bucks to run said business. It kind of reminds me of my buddy, who knows more about coaching an NFL team than any coach in the league.

Some people on this forum are likely better qualified to run businesses than the execs running them. Just because someone gets a job doesn't mean they are the best at running it, if that were the case CEO's and Presidents of organizations would never get fired.

We don't know what the catalyst for the dress code rule was, so that's all speculation on our part. Given what's happening in the rest of our society and the comments that were made by LPGA members, the rule seems to be a reaction from comments some of the LPGA members (and possibly sponsors) who were unhappy / offended by the clothing some of their peers were wearing.

If Stacy Lewis and Christina Kim are not comfortable wearing some of the outfits that other players wear they should refrain from wearing them but not force the LPGA to modify a rule to make them feel better about themselves.

That said, the LPGA is fully within their rights to create and enforce a dress code. If the organizations leaders truly believe this rule change is better for their long term success then they were right in making the change. Conversely if the rule change was made just to appease a vocal minority on the Tour they have done their members a disservice.

I don't really care what an LPGA player wears, I watch golf for golf not for the fashion or skin but it's ignorant to think that a portion of the LPGA viewership does appreciate the fashion and if the rule costs them 1 viewer it was a mistake for the organization.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It seems like the logic of quite a few posters centers on how LPGA players should dress in order to increase male viewership. I wonder about a converse possibility--how should PGA players dress to increase female viewership? Or are these not more or less equal situations? Are women less concerned about how PGA players dress than men are about LPGA players?

Easy--dress like Henrik Stenson and Martin Kaymer. Also have their builds.

I always find it amusing when an average Joe on an internet forum thinks they know more about running a business than someone who is recruited,hired, and paid big bucks to run said business. It kind of reminds me of my buddy, who knows more about coaching an NFL team than any coach in the league.

Some people on this forum are likely better qualified to run businesses than the execs running them. Just because someone gets a job doesn't mean they are the best at running it, if that were the case CEO's and Presidents of organizations would never get fired.

We don't know what the catalyst for the dress code rule was, so that's all speculation on our part. Given what's happening in the rest of our society and the comments that were made by LPGA members, the rule seems to be a reaction from comments some of the LPGA members (and possibly sponsors) who were unhappy / offended by the clothing some of their peers were wearing.

If Stacy Lewis and Christina Kim are not comfortable wearing some of the outfits that other players wear they should refrain from wearing them but not force the LPGA to modify a rule to make them feel better about themselves.

That said, the LPGA is fully within their rights to create and enforce a dress code. If the organizations leaders truly believe this rule change is better for their long term success then they were right in making the change. Conversely if the rule change was made just to appease a vocal minority on the Tour they have done their members a disservice.

I don't really care what an LPGA player wears, I watch golf for golf not for the fashion or skin but it's ignorant to think that a portion of the LPGA viewership does appreciate the fashion and if the rule costs them 1 viewer it was a mistake for the organization.

So, you think those posting in this thread are better qualified at running the LPGA than Michael Whan?

Stylish. Athletic. Fitted. ymxcL.png

Michelle+Wie+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+Round+aG_RkWpzhpGl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+One+CExJq7R1iAtl.jpg

Frumpy. Boring. Untucked. Ill-fitting. checkmark_50.png

Stacy+Lewis+Women+Open+Round+Three+0SWDOAsWdpbl.jpgStacy+Lewis+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Three+pbslRyCwuM1l.jpg

Blech.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Michelle+Wie+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+Round+aG_RkWpzhpGl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+One+CExJq7R1iAtl.jpg

Stacy+Lewis+Women+Open+Round+Three+0SWDOAsWdpbl.jpgStacy+Lewis+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Three+pbslRyCwuM1l.jpg

Blech.

Wie's outfits may be athletic and fitted(and I don't think particularly risque) but that tank top with sleeves under it is just plain ugly IMHO

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Blech.

Michelle's outfits look ridiculous. The Nike long sleeve crop top is meant to be worn with a polo. Letting the crop top be seen by wearing a racer back looks just as tacky as letting bra straps be seen when wearing a scoop neck collar. The ultra short skirt looks odd on her tall frame and isn't compatible with the philosophy of wearing the suns levee crop top. Protect against the sun or not; which is it?

Stacy is not a fashion maven for sure. The blue/white outfit is OK despite the untucked shirt (many women's shirts have a flared tail and are not meant to be tucked). I prefer a tucked polo with a belted short. Gives lots of color options and belted bling. The green and blue outfit is not a good look.

Blech.

Michelle's outfits look ridiculous. The Nike long sleeve crop top is meant to be worn with a polo. Letting the crop top be seen by wearing a racer back looks just as tacky as letting bra straps be seen when wearing a scoop neck collar. The ultra short skirt looks odd on her tall frame and isn't compatible with the philosophy of wearing the suns levee crop top. Protect against the sun or not; which is it?

Stacy is not a fashion maven for sure. The blue/white outfit is OK despite the untucked shirt (many women's shirts have a flared tail and are not meant to be tucked). I prefer a tucked polo with a belted short. Gives lots of color options and belted bling. The green and blue outfit is not a good look.

Ahhhhh I never knew that, thanks for the info.

So, you think those posting in this thread are better qualified at running the LPGA than Michael Whan?

You changed the statement, your original quote said on an "internet forum", then you limited it to this thread. We have some pretty prestigious posters from the golf industry here on Wrx, like Dean Snell and Sean Toulon to name a few, so why not. Whan came from the golf equipment and sales side of Wilson and TM and was President of a hockey equipment company, what makes him uniquely qualified to run the LPGA?

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Blech.

Michelle's look is so much better even though I'm not a huge fan of that sleeve thing she has going but whatever. I can see Nike just adding something that looks like a collar, whether its mock or whatever that is they have on their new shirts, and letting it ride. That would cover the rules I think.

Michelle's look is so much better even though I'm not a huge fan of that sleeve thing she has going but whatever. I can see Nike just adding something that looks like a collar, whether its mock or whatever that is they have on their new shirts, and letting it ride. That would cover the rules I think.

OK?

Michelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Two+i-3b3MAWH_hl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Bank+Hope+Founders+Cup+Final+tg6yTtyunrhl.jpg

Curious, who's the judge of plunging necklines? Too risque?

Michelle+Wie+Volunteers+America+North+Texas+xVLzgzjz_Z6l.jpgMichelle+Wie+Volunteers+America+North+Texas+c8iC0bFSyQel.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

OK?

Michelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Two+i-3b3MAWH_hl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Bank+Hope+Founders+Cup+Final+tg6yTtyunrhl.jpg

Curious, who's the judge of plunging necklines? Too risque?

Michelle+Wie+Volunteers+America+North+Texas+xVLzgzjz_Z6l.jpgMichelle+Wie+Volunteers+America+North+Texas+c8iC0bFSyQel.jpg

Yep pretty much like that. I'd think you'd actually have to see some cleavage before it would be thought of as "plunging" but what do i know.

Where do they belong?

For the most part, yes, except in tennis, where the women have comparable purse and viewership.

And that's what the women's golfers always say they are shooting for, to become like tennis.

It won't ever get to that point. Men's and Women's tennis events are held at the same time at the same venue. That makes a big difference.

Where do they belong?

It won't ever get to that point. Men's and Women's tennis events are held at the same time at the same venue. That makes a big difference.

Off topic a bit, but think how cool that would be though. Men and women tours play the same event. Top 75'ish on both sides. Make the cuts at top 30-40 ties. Men's Champion and a Ladies Champion. Know it won't happen but it would be interesting.

It certainly isn't easy to understand the LPGA's lack of relevance and marketability from a global perspective. Hard to say what it could be...

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose