Stricter Dress Code Coming For LPGA

Michelle's look is so much better even though I'm not a huge fan of that sleeve thing she has going but whatever. I can see Nike just adding something that looks like a collar, whether its mock or whatever that is they have on their new shirts, and letting it ride. That would cover the rules I think.

OK?

Michelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Two+i-3b3MAWH_hl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Bank+Hope+Founders+Cup+Final+tg6yTtyunrhl.jpg

Curious, who's the judge of plunging necklines? Too risque?

Yep pretty much like that. I'd think you'd actually have to see some cleavage before it would be thought of as "plunging" but what do i know.

If the concern is cleavage. LPGA should just establish a limit on COBSTPD, or "Coefficient of Bust Size to Plunging Depth" .

Simply put, the smaller the bust size the more the neckline can plunge, to avoid the revolting sight of the female bosom.

It is similar to USGA putting an limit on COR ( Coefficient of Restitution) on equipment, to regulate the "hottness", no pun intended, of a clubface.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to hear women discuss how women should dress.

But this thread is certainly novel. Outside of this thread, I've rarely heard men opine as to how women should dress.

But this thread is certainly novel. Outside of this thread, I've rarely heard men opine as to how women should dress.

I have been doing that in this thread as much as it seems reasonable to do so.

Okay, I'll comment, being a female who plays golf frequently.

My first consideration is comfort. It's hard to play any sport (let alone for a living) if you feel all squeezed like a sausage into your clothes. Stacy's outfits are what I would find comfortable (speaking only for myself here). Are they terribly stylish? Well, no, but I would suffer greatly in the tight, short spandex shorts or skort thingeys that Wiesy, Gal and some of the other girls wear. We've been yakking a lot on this thread about things that are more a matter of style than modesty, which is what I thought the new rules were all about. Wie's crop-top long-sleeved shirt? Modest but ridiculous looking.

I do appreciate a certain degree of modesty and think the shorts/skorts that barely cover the butt cheeks are tacky, no matter how shapely the golfer. Yes, Gal looks better in them than one of the heavy girls would, no denying that. Perhaps a rule defining those skirt/short length limits is appropriate.

As for racerbacks, collarless shirts, etc., I figure as long as the girl's top completely covers the breast area (sorry, boys), no cleavage and no side boobage are exposed and the shirt extends all the way to the waistband (tucked or untucked, makes no difference to me), it should be okay. Tank tops - generally tacky, perhaps, but if they're not too low cut and the shoulder straps are wide enough to cover the bra strap, probably not immodest.

As for whether women are interested in what PGA golfers wear, yes, I am to some extent, but it certainly doesn't bear on whether I'll be more interested in men's golf. I hate white pants, for example. When the sunlight is behind a guy golfer and the viewers can see right through his white pants so that it's like looking at an x-ray, it's mildly entertaining (I'll admit), but also a bit embarrassing.

I like a guy who looks good in his clothes. Certainly, the tall, well built slim guys like Stenson and Kaymer fall into that category, but guys like Simpson and Thomas do, as well. Of course, they're wearing clothing lines - Ralph Lauren, Polo, Hugo Boss - that are more timeless and classy than the "fad of the week" Nike stuff. Speaking of which, can Nike not make Rory a pair of pants that actually fit? And what's the deal with the puckered stripe they had running down T. Woods' back? Yuck. I wouldn't use those shirts to dry the dog. If I had one, which I don't.

I've noticed and appreciate it as I have other women's posts here. Just sardonically reflecting that most of the thread is men telling women how to dress--usually for the benefit of the male gaze.

I've noticed and appreciate it as I have other women's posts here. Just sardonically reflecting that most of the thread is men telling women how to dress--usually for the benefit of the male gaze.

I think it is exactly the opposite. The whole point is NOT to tell the girls what to wear.

If you want to go for comfort, go for comfort. If you want to go for style , go for style. (Sounds like Brooke's Sketcher commercial)

And style is subjective.

My posts and most of what I've read is in support of women deciding how they wish to dress and to not be forced into wearing unflattering clothes so other tour members feel better about their appearance.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Obviously t

No one's being forced into wearing unflattering clothes. I've never seen Sandra Gal wear anything that won't be allowed going forward. If you have an example, please post it.

This reinforcement of the dress code was clearly directed at certain individuals who Lewis and Kim felt were dressing in a manner they found inappropriate.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think it is exactly the opposite. The whole point is NOT to tell the girls what to wear.

If you want to go for comfort, go for comfort. If you want to go for style , go for style. (Sounds like Brooke's Sketcher commercial)

And style is subjective.

Disagree. A good number of posts here are by men who are essentially saying that they only watch women's golf for the titillation factor and that the new dress code adjustments are going to drive down viewership because of that.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

My posts and most of what I've read is in support of women deciding how they wish to dress and to not be forced into wearing unflattering clothes so other tour members feel better about their appearance.

That wasn't why they did this. Good grief!

Actually based on what I read and heard from commentators there were tournament sponsors that showed concern over some of the women's outfits. This was brought to the attention of the board members who took very mild action.

Exactly.

This is the very definition of a gross over-reaction.

Obviously t

No one's being forced into wearing unflattering clothes. I've never seen Sandra Gal wear anything that won't be allowed going forward. If you have an example, please post it.

This reinforcement of the dress code was clearly directed at certain individuals who Lewis and Kim felt were dressing in a manner they found inappropriate.

You know this how?

You know this how?

Do you really think that 'most' LPGA players (in lieu of only a tiny minority) brought this dress issue to the LPGA board? Really! Come on - surely you are not serious...

I would have bet a ton of money that Lewis and Kim were two of the tour members that initiated it.

May be...and I would not be surprised, but (if so) that is only two LPGA tour players...representing just a tiny fraction of all the tour players.

But they are also 2 of like 8 players who make up the advisory council, which I believe are chosen by other players. So they probably speak for more players than you think.

Yep. Really surprised at how many people don't get this.

http://www.sportsmed...ow-ratings-fox/

They may be lucky to be on local cable.

Wow! That's terrible.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Actually based on what I read and heard from commentators there were tournament sponsors that showed concern over some of the women's outfits. This was brought to the attention of the board members who took very mild action.

I say that is pure BS. I do not believe that for a nano-second.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

It's a free country. You can believe anything you wish.

It's a free country. You can believe anything you wish.

And his belief would be justified. The tour needs all of the attention it can get and playing clothing or language Nazi as they did in the past doesnt help. If someones not wearing anything under a skirt or nipple slips have become common place then thats another matter but currently its a non issue.

My first consideration is comfort. It's hard to play any sport (let alone for a living) if you feel all squeezed like a sausage into your clothes. Stacy's outfits are what I would find comfortable (speaking only for myself here). Are they terribly stylish? Well, no, but I would suffer greatly in the tight, short spandex shorts or skort thingeys that Wiesy, Gal and some of the other girls wear. We've been yakking a lot on this thread about things that are more a matter of style than modesty, which is what I thought the new rules were all about. Wie's crop-top long-sleeved shirt? Modest but ridiculous looking.

I do appreciate a certain degree of modesty and think the shorts/skorts that barely cover the butt cheeks are tacky, no matter how shapely the golfer. Yes, Gal looks better in them than one of the heavy girls would, no denying that. Perhaps a rule defining those skirt/short length limits is appropriate.

As for racerbacks, collarless shirts, etc., I figure as long as the girl's top completely covers the breast area (sorry, boys), no cleavage and no side boobage are exposed and the shirt extends all the way to the waistband (tucked or untucked, makes no difference to me), it should be okay. Tank tops - generally tacky, perhaps, but if they're not too low cut and the shoulder straps are wide enough to cover the bra strap, probably not immodest.

As for whether women are interested in what PGA golfers wear, yes, I am to some extent, but it certainly doesn't bear on whether I'll be more interested in men's golf. I hate white pants, for example. When the sunlight is behind a guy golfer and the viewers can see right through his white pants so that it's like looking at an x-ray, it's mildly entertaining (I'll admit), but also a bit embarrassing.

I like a guy who looks good in his clothes. Certainly, the tall, well built slim guys like Stenson and Kaymer fall into that category, but guys like Simpson and Thomas do, as well. Of course, they're wearing clothing lines - Ralph Lauren, Polo, Hugo Boss - that are more timeless and classy than the "fad of the week" Nike stuff. Speaking of which, can Nike not make Rory a pair of pants that actually fit? And what's the deal with the puckered stripe they had running down T. Woods' back? Yuck. I wouldn't use those shirts to dry the dog. If I had one, which I don't.

Agree with you completely. I end up buying men's shirts frequently to get a looser fit so I can swing. Too many women's shirts are cut tight under the arms and through the torso. Also have started wearing lightweight long sleeve UPF 50 shirt under my Polo for sun protection. Much better than gooping tons of sunscreen all over my arms.

Wow! That's terrible.

Someone might need to explain to Lewis that is why they get paid less. It's not a conspiracy, the eyeballs are not there unfortunately.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Agree with you completely. I end up buying men's shirts frequently to get a looser fit so I can swing. Too many women's shirts are cut tight under the arms and through the torso. Also have started wearing lightweight long sleeve UPF 50 shirt under my Polo for sun protection. Much better than gooping tons of sunscreen all over my arms.

Nike's solar sleeves are great for UV protection and you don't have to deal with the extra weighting under your shirts in the summer. I know some other companies make similar products.

This is a real shame. It had that epic major feel to it. I loved it.

No Americans in sight probably contribute to this also. As a planner and investor you might just dismiss this bad outcome as an aberration because of that. But it might be more the norm than an aberration.

13 pages, and I haven't contributed.

I think that enforcing a dress code on athletes of this calibre is an insult. Also, it is a little backward. There has been this thing called feminism for the last 50 or so years that has delivered women to high levels of empowerment and self-determination. I certainly don't agree with all feminism, but it has produced a higher level of elite female sport. As a poster above said, a player should be able to make their own choice based on style and function, and style is subjective, and function will also depend on individual preferences.

As for the titillation factor, some posters have suggested tacitly that some guys are watching LPGA as a substitute for porn (I said it, they suggested it!) - this is also incredibly old-fashioned thinking and kind of pathetic. I certainly enjoy the fine looks of these women, but it is more in a broader context of appreciating the whole package of a person and a golfer. Also, I don't dictate their clothing - they do. That is the crucial distinction.These women choosing to look hot is the opposite to anybody making them. Making them cover up is in fact demeaning.

If I'm a independent contractor and my sponsorship dollars depend on me and me alone I will decide for myself what I should and shouldn't wear. I believe the girls dress perfectly fine...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Stylish. Athletic. Fitted. ymxcL.png

Michelle+Wie+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+Round+aG_RkWpzhpGl.jpgMichelle+Wie+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+One+CExJq7R1iAtl.jpg

Frumpy. Boring. Untucked. Ill-fitting. checkmark_50.png

Stacy+Lewis+Women+Open+Round+Three+0SWDOAsWdpbl.jpgStacy+Lewis+Meijer+LPGA+Classic+Round+Three+pbslRyCwuM1l.jpg

Blech.

When you try to "pick and choose" you can always make a case for your point.

And I said "try" because what Michelle is wearing is definitely a big ugh.

Whats so "ugh" about it? Is it her fault that she is slim and fit and can pull the look off? Or is it the big visor that's bothering you?