2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PGA Championship to be on BBC

Dave230

Here's an article on the future of The Open and whether golf can survive:

https://www.theguard...vive-modern-era

"It is a statement of fact not prophesy that fewer people will watch the Open at Birkdale than the 4.7 million who were transfixed by Harrington’s 2008 triumph. Last year Sky got 1.1 million viewers for its Bafta-winning coverage of the shootout between Henrik Stenson and Phil Mickelson at Troon – highly impressive for a subscription TV channel but still a notable drop. The BBC will show the US PGA Championship this year but for golf to prosper, it needs to be shown on terrestrial television more regularly."

And the rest. I was living in England during the 2005 Ashes and the exposure that series had, being free to air on Channel 4 and following on in the papers was something else.

I'm no cricket follower, but along with some friends who were I watched a lot of it, as did lots of other casual viewers. Cricket/Sky went for the cash off the back of that and golf unfortunately seems the same.

Stenson v Phil was the best stroke play golf I can remember watching. It was stirring stuff and it's a shame to think you needed to have a subscription or go to a spot that is paying 5 figures a year to have a commercial license for it.

Precisely. The R&A, along with their counterparts at the USGA, make a lot of bold talk about growing the game. Surely chasing the money and moving golf to a subscription channel (Sky) which has resulted in a 75% drop in viewing figures is completely counterproductive to "growing the game". The blazers at the R&A seem to think that the move has been a success because we now have Protracer on more shots and the production values are better. Unfortunately this completely misses the point.

Whilst Sky is undoubtedly a a far superior viewing experience (in spite of the endless betting ads), do you think a casual viewer, who wants to tune in to The Open, and who might actually be inspired to take up the sport of golf through watching this fine championship, gives a sh!t whether the coverage has Protracer or not? The answer is a resounding no.

To be fair, if it was about growing the game, the PGA wouldn't have bothered having it on BBC on it either, they would be broadcasting it for free on social media.

Only the PGA isn't a governing body of golf and doesn't have the same responsibilities that the R&A and USGA have in regards to maximising participation in the sport.

Despite that the PGA actually seem to be leading the way on this issue, recognising that a balance has to be struck between obtaining revenue from broadcasting rights and reaching as many viewers as possible. Perhaps the R&A / USGA should take note.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is a statement of fact not prophesy that fewer people will watch the Open at Birkdale than the 4.7 million who were transfixed by Harrington’s 2008 triumph. Last year Sky got 1.1 million viewers for its Bafta-winning coverage of the shootout between Henrik Stenson and Phil Mickelson at Troon – highly impressive for a subscription TV channel but still a notable drop. The BBC will show the US PGA Championship this year but for golf to prosper, it needs to be shown on terrestrial television more regularly."

And the rest. I was living in England during the 2005 Ashes and the exposure that series had, being free to air on Channel 4 and following on in the papers was something else.

I'm no cricket follower, but along with some friends who were I watched a lot of it, as did lots of other casual viewers. Cricket/Sky went for the cash off the back of that and golf unfortunately seems the same.

Stenson v Phil was the best stroke play golf I can remember watching. It was stirring stuff and it's a shame to think you needed to have a subscription or go to a spot that is paying 5 figures a year to have a commercial license for it.

The 2005 Ashes had massive ratings and support even in North Korea. Probably the greatest test match series ever.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

Precisely. The R&A, along with their counterparts at the USGA, make a lot of bold talk about growing the game. Surely chasing the money and moving golf to a subscription channel (Sky) which has resulted in a 75% drop in viewing figures is completely counterproductive to "growing the game". The blazers at the R&A seem to think that the move has been a success because we now have Protracer on more shots and the production values are better. Unfortunately this completely misses the point.

Whilst Sky is undoubtedly a a far superior viewing experience (in spite of the endless betting ads), do you think a casual viewer, who wants to tune in to The Open, and who might actually be inspired to take up the sport of golf through watching this fine championship, gives a sh!t whether the coverage has Protracer or not? The answer is a resounding no.

To be fair, if it was about growing the game, the PGA wouldn't have bothered having it on BBC on it either, they would be broadcasting it for free on social media.

Only the PGA isn't a governing body of golf and doesn't have the same responsibilities that the R&A and USGA have in regards to maximising participation in the sport.

Despite that the PGA actually seem to be leading the way on this issue, recognising that a balance has to be struck between obtaining revenue from broadcasting rights and reaching as many viewers as possible. Perhaps the R&A / USGA should take note.

I accept that they aren't a governing body (although they might feel marginalised by that) but they have exactly the same stake in maximising the game. Their members make their living from the game if people aren't playing it their members aren't going to stay in the game.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I accept that they aren't a governing body (although they might feel marginalised by that) but they have exactly the same stake in maximising the game. Their members make their living from the game if people aren't playing it their members aren't going to stay in the game.

I agree, which is why it's good to see them opting to broadcast their championship on platforms which will reach the a wider audience, rather than just chasing the mighty dollar and giving broadcasting rights to the highest bidder. One could argue they are doing more to "grow the game", at least in terms of making it accessible on TV, than the R&A themselves.

The 2005 Ashes had massive ratings and support even in North Korea. Probably the greatest test match series ever.

Particularly after their Glorious Leader informed the nation that he had single-handedly played in and won the 1994-95, 1997, 1998-99, 2001 and 2002-03 Ashes series on behalf of North Korea.

I should also note, the No Laying Up guy tweeted a couple of weeks back about how much better Skys golf coverage was than what he is used to getting in the states. Now we are going to have to get used to the BBC's dumbed down golf presentation.

And all of this crap about adverts, Sky have really minimised the number of adverts for the big tournaments. I think they are allowed 4, 60 second add breaks an hour during the Open. Nothing to get in a sweat about and nothing in comparison to what you get in America. I can actually see why Americans might think no adds is a good idea if they base it on their own experience of ad breaks every 6 minutes or so, but really you have to forget about US tv and compare no adds and s*** presentation/features with minimal adds and award winning presentation.

BBC coverage of the Golf! Great, so we'll have Peter Allis talking about seagulls whilst Jordan Spieth putts and Ken Brown chasing after a rubber duck.

It's great that it's available to watch in the UK the BBC coverage of Golf is beyond woeful.

Really?? It's better than dull sky which is utterly dreadful. Allis hardly does any now and you add in azinger, cotter, faldo in majors, brown and grady I mean there's majors winners there that now alot more than friggin Murray?!

You're coming back at me with Wayne Grady...haha.

Yeah, he's won the pga and loads more. Think he's earned the right to be listened to

Sadly, being good at golf and being able to communicate don't go hand in hand. Grady is awful in the booth.

No he's not, good knowledge and I like him....and are you suggesting he wasn't a good golfer??? If he's poor at golf then we're utterly dire

Arise sir Freddie!!! I think over 20 million watched the test that went to the last 3 balls....and that act of sporting greatest by Freddie as he consoled pointing while everyone else around went nuts! I'm not a big cricket fan but my God the 2005 Ashes series was one of the greatest sporting events ever....and it's was free for everyone!

To those that think the PGA being on BBC will grow the game (hate that phrase), the BBC used to have the British PGA, Scottish Open and The Open. During that time participation dropped...

Participation went up last year.

Sadly, being good at golf and being able to communicate don't go hand in hand. Grady is awful in the booth.

No he's not, good knowledge and I like him....and are you suggesting he wasn't a good golfer??? If he's poor at golf then we're utterly dire

I am not.

I'm suggesting that he is not a good commentator. Mark James was a good golfer but he too is not a good commentator. Same thing with Mark Roe on Sky.

On balance the commentary team that Sky bring to the table are far better. If you don't agree with me on that no worries.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

To those that think the PGA being on BBC will grow the game (hate that phrase), the BBC used to have the British PGA, Scottish Open and The Open. During that time participation dropped...

Participation went up last year.

I am not.

I'm suggesting that he is not a good commentator. Mark James was a good golfer but he too is not a good commentator. Same thing with Mark Roe on Sky.

On balance the commentary team that Sky bring to the table are far better. If you don't agree with me on that no worries.

Fair enough

Sports in UK is going to explode hence why they are attacking kodie and firestick users. Sky sports is beyond expensive as it's trying to get back its £6b premier league deal by ripping off customers. Then the r&a charge £80 for a day and think it's acceptable.... BBC might not be to everyone's liking but at least a hell of alot more people can and will watch it.

Sky created a monster and most are suffering as no one can actually watch any friggin sport anymore

Sports in UK is going to explode hence why they are attacking kodie and firestick users. Sky sports is beyond expensive as it's trying to get back its £6b premier league deal by ripping off customers. Then the r&a charge £80 for a day and think it's acceptable.... BBC might not be to everyone's liking but at least a hell of alot more people can and will watch it.

Sky created a monster and most are suffering as no one can actually watch any friggin sport anymore

Totally agree! How can children be inspired to play sport when a huge amount of families can t afford to watch it?

The BBC coverage is always top notch.

Really, it's not!

BBC coverage is appalling.

In which aspects would you say sky is better? Commentary, no adverts, ken brown, no ewen murray, it's better in every way

Sky Sports coverage of The Open is light years ahead of anything the BBC have ever done. Ewen Murray is great too, Peter Alliss was the man in his prime, but the old boy has lost it. Fair play to him he's almost 90 years old, he was the only good thing about it for ages.

The Sky team this week is great, as they seem to have kept Mark Roe well away. He is a fud. The Sky Cart, Shot Zone and technology Sky brings to the course analysis is all fantastic.

Fed up with listening to all this guff about "growing the game" and participation numbers. Bottom line is some people just don't want to pay for Sky coverage.

Sky have done more to encourage sport participation with their Academy series, Game Changers initiatives than the BBC could ever dream of - they even brought a European Tour event back to England by becoming the title sponsor.

The BBC coverage is always top notch.

Really, it's not!

BBC coverage is appalling.

In which aspects would you say sky is better? Commentary, no adverts, ken brown, no ewen murray, it's better in every way

Sky Sports coverage of The Open is light years ahead of anything the BBC have ever done. Ewen Murray is great too, Peter Alliss was the man in his prime, but the old boy has lost it. Fair play to him he's almost 90 years old, he was the only good thing about it for ages.

The Sky team this week is great, as they seem to have kept Mark Roe well away. He is a fud. The Sky Cart, Shot Zone and technology Sky brings to the course analysis is all fantastic.

Fed up with listening to all this guff about "growing the game" and participation numbers. Bottom line is some people just don't want to pay for Sky coverage.

Sky have done more to encourage sport participation with their Academy series, Game Changers initiatives than the BBC could ever dream of - they even brought a European Tour event back to England by becoming the title sponsor.

Not 'don t want to' but can t afford to pay for Sky. Lots of families can t justify the cost..

I don't want to pay Sky anything........for years they've been fleecing other sports watchers to subsidise the stupid money they pay for football soccer.

Only now are they offering sport specific channels and £28 x 12 is just way too much considering that's they also charge advertisers too.......

I think the R&A should compromise....give both the BBC And Sky coverage, OK take less money from Sky but anyone who wants to watch golf would be able to do so.I would take a stripped down, no graphics, interviews shottracer over a bells and whistles SKY coverage any day.

Oh and Ewan Murray.....he's been doing Sky coverage for donkeys and is the most soporific 'anchor' in golf.......

Oh and Ewan Murray.....he's been doing Sky coverage for donkeys and is the most soporific 'anchor' in golf.......

Incorrect, he is one of the few that realise that the golf paints the picture. It doesn't need jazzed up, he isn't scared to keep quiet, he gets how the broadcast should be done.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Totally agree! How can children be inspired to play sport when a huge amount of families can t afford to watch it?

Just found out they're charging £15 for parking???!!!!! Along with £80 to get in...I mean how much??? Even a wealthy retired footballer wasn't impressed this morning! It's just fleecing the supporters, fans etc because we love the game

I don't want to pay Sky anything........for years they've been fleecing other sports watchers to subsidise the stupid money they pay for football soccer.

Only now are they offering sport specific channels and £28 x 12 is just way too much considering that's they also charge advertisers too.......

I think the R&A should compromise....give both the BBC And Sky coverage, OK take less money from Sky but anyone who wants to watch golf would be able to do so.I would take a stripped down, no graphics, interviews shottracer over a bells and whistles SKY coverage any day.

Couldn't agree more, sky is plain awful at times. BBC has its critics but the commentary is light years ahead of sky...sky are getting better by adding monty recently but BBC for some reason to me is a much better listen

This week already we have had 5 minute 'Open Zone' slots with DJ, Stenson, Rahm, Westwood, Harrington and no doubt lots of others when I haven't been watching. 5 minutes of these guys effectively in your living room talking you through and demonstrating how they hit specific shots.

You have never had that type of interaction or analysis on the BBC.

This week already we have had 5 minute 'Open Zone' slots with DJ, Stenson, Rahm, Westwood, Harrington and no doubt lots of others when I haven't been watching. 5 minutes of these guys effectively in your living room talking you through and demonstrating how they hit specific shots.

Exactly!

Instead of that we would have Ken Brown running around with a beach ball to tell us about break and Peter Allis forgetting the name of the player and then telling us it was better in his day. Anyone who thinks BBC put on a better commentary and better show that Sky, is howl at the moon crazy.

Just found out they're charging £15 for parking???!!!!! Along with £80 to get in...I mean how much??? Even a wealthy retired footballer wasn't impressed this morning! It's just fleecing the supporters, fans etc because we love the game

Yet they are on course to have the 4th biggest attendance ever and the second biggest attendance ever in England. £80 is expensive but you can turn up at 6.35am and watch golf all they way through until 9pm. People think nothing of spending £50 to go to a Premiership football match. Oh and the kids get in free here! How many Premiership teams do that?

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I just want to see the golf.....