PGA Championship to be on BBC

Oh and Ewan Murray.....he's been doing Sky coverage for donkeys and is the most soporific 'anchor' in golf.......

Incorrect, he is one of the few that realise that the golf paints the picture. It doesn't need jazzed up, he isn't scared to keep quiet, he gets how the broadcast should be done.

I may have a different opinion but that does not make me wrong...if you want you can watch without any commentary and really get your picture painted for you

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't disagree that the Sky coverage is generally really good (there are exceptions - Sarah Stirk, Mark Roe) but to pan the BBC is exceptionally unfair. Surely you can like both - I know I do. Yes Sky does have some excellent innovations but a lot of is unnecessary and add little (those cameras in bunkers!) and where they do it is only for golf fanatics which I guess the Sky coverage attracts anyway but for the more casual viewer that the BBC has would add nothing.

I notice that for this Open that on Sky there is no Roe (not a miss), no Johnstone (a real miss) and no Monty (not a miss) but Monty seems to be on the BBC radio commentary.

At the end of the day I just want to see as much golf as possible and it seems to me that all channels that cover golf seem to more and more only focus on a few players unless there is a chip in or similar. For example today how many shots of Cabrera Bello or Ramsay did we see? Not a lot, if any, and they are close!

This week already we have had 5 minute 'Open Zone' slots with DJ, Stenson, Rahm, Westwood, Harrington and no doubt lots of others when I haven't been watching. 5 minutes of these guys effectively in your living room talking you through and demonstrating how they hit specific shots.

You have never had that type of interaction or analysis on the BBC.

Exactly!

Instead of that we would have Ken Brown running around with a beach ball to tell us about break and Peter Allis forgetting the name of the player and then telling us it was better in his day. Anyone who thinks BBC put on a better commentary and better show that Sky, is howl at the moon crazy.

Sports in UK is going to explode hence why they are attacking kodie and firestick users. Sky sports is beyond expensive as it's trying to get back its £6b premier league deal by ripping off customers. Then the r&a charge £80 for a day and think it's acceptable.... BBC might not be to everyone's liking but at least a hell of alot more people can and will watch it.

Sky created a monster and most are suffering as no one can actually watch any friggin sport anymore

Totally agree! How can children be inspired to play sport when a huge amount of families can t afford to watch it?

Just found out they're charging £15 for parking???!!!!! Along with £80 to get in...I mean how much??? Even a wealthy retired footballer wasn't impressed this morning! It's just fleecing the supporters, fans etc because we love the game

Yet they are on course to have the 4th biggest attendance ever and the second biggest attendance ever in England. £80 is expensive but you can turn up at 6.35am and watch golf all they way through until 9pm. People think nothing of spending £50 to go to a Premiership football match. Oh and the kids get in free here! How many Premiership teams do that?

And?? Sorry £80 is a rip off...don't care if you're there all day as next year it will be £100 with the same excuses. What happens when my kids are 16?? That's nearly £300 ffs! And how many would get in if it was only £40??

Like football they have out priced the normal working bloke as per normal...that's why £80 is a friggin disgrace

For every hour of broadcast on Sky there is 16 mins of advertisements. And yet you still have to pay a subscription fee, an additional fee for the sports package and a further fee if something special is happening (like a boxing match).

IT'S THE BIGGEST CON SINCE SCIENTOLOGY

It's a big bone of contention in my house because I want to rip the box from the wall but the wife can't live without her 'stories'.

I'm quite happy to pay for a service with little or no adverts (BBC Licence fee, Netflix, Amazon) but it boils my blood when Sky are getting doubly funded from the consumer and advertisements.

And it's ruined football.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°
Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

For every hour of broadcast on Sky there is 16 mins of advertisements. And yet you still have to pay a subscription fee, an additional fee for the sports package and a further fee if something special is happening (like a boxing match).

IT'S THE BIGGEST CON SINCE SCIENTOLOGY

It's a big bone of contention in my house because I want to rip the box from the wall but the wife can't live without her 'stories'.

I'm quite happy to pay for a service with little or no adverts (BBC Licence fee, Netflix, Amazon) but it boils my blood when Sky are getting doubly funded from the consumer and advertisements.

And it's ruined football.

Ain't that the truth....given up my season ticket which I've held since 1985. Sky have simply destroyed every sport they have. Remember rugby league being a winter game and the winner actually won the title?? Its so confusing now that people don't go anymore.....and that's Murdoch for you!

Oh and Ewan Murray.....he's been doing Sky coverage for donkeys and is the most soporific 'anchor' in golf.......

Had to look up soporific, agree with you 100%. If you listen he "hangs" onto some words and once you notice it you'll notice it (e.g. Over to thurrrrrrr 6th annnnnnddddddd Kuchar.)

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

The Beeb announced how they are going to cover the USPGA today, they don't actually think enough of the golf to put it on the main channel so instead of getting to watch it in HD we'll have poor picture quality via the red button until after 11 the first two days and even on the final day until 10pm. By that point in the day, Sky would likely have been on on the main channel for 5 hours or so but you know, this is progress apparently...

Thursday 10 August

18:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer

23:20-00:15 - BBC Two

Friday 11 August

23:05-00:15 - BBC Two

Saturday 12 August

19:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer

22:30-00:15 - BBC Two

Sunday 13 August

22:00-00:15 - BBC Two

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Way too much red button coverage, quite disappointing. One hour main channel coverage on Thursday and Friday? So much for the greater reach really.

Heard rumours that BT Sport are going to take the Masters. God I hope not. That would be worse than both. No golf experience in coverage and you'd have to fork out extra on an already very expensive deal on Sky.

If you go back to Rory's victory at Hoylake you'd see the BBC using Protracer and other tech as much as Sky do now, in addition to 12 hours of completely UNINTERRUPTED coverage every day.

This year I watched the Masters live on BBC and rewatched it on Sky because I'm a giant SergioTard. As much as I love Butch on Sky the BBC combo of Cotter and Azinger were masterful. And Ken Brown is in a class of his own.

Golf without adverts is quite frankly unbeatable.

Way too much red button coverage, quite disappointing. One hour main channel coverage on Thursday and Friday? So much for the greater reach really.

Heard rumours that BT Sport are going to take the Masters. God I hope not. That would be worse than both. No golf experience in coverage and you'd have to fork out extra on an already very expensive deal on Sky.

As luck would have it the PGA coincides with the world athletics championships which are being held in London this year so the latter gets top billing. Looking forward to watching both at the same time.

BT getting the Masters really would be a disaster.

The Beeb announced how they are going to cover the USPGA today, they don't actually think enough of the golf to put it on the main channel so instead of getting to watch it in HD we'll have poor picture quality via the red button until after 11 the first two days and even on the final day until 10pm. By that point in the day, Sky would likely have been on on the main channel for 5 hours or so but you know, this is progress apparently...

Thursday 10 August

23:20-00:15 - BBC Two

Friday 11 August

23:05-00:15 - BBC Two

Saturday 12 August

22:30-00:15 - BBC Two

Sunday 13 August

22:00-00:15 - BBC Two

I will admit, that is sh!t coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

Garbage as I suspected. All behind the red button in SD. I've given up - back over to the football. :(

What were the PGA thinking, lol.

That no one was watching golf at all and no one can afford it. Hence why they wanted it on free view TV, in 20 years where's the next golfers going to come from if they aren't getting inspired from the majors???

And it's on the red button all evening for 6 hours with the last 2 on bbc2.....get the remote press the red button and it comes on, what's difficult about that?

Garbage as I suspected. All behind the red button in SD. I've given up - back over to the football. :(

That no one was watching golf at all and no one can afford it. Hence why they wanted it on free view TV, in 20 years where's the next golfers going to come from if they aren't getting inspired from the majors???

And it's on the red button all evening for 6 hours with the last 2 on bbc2.....get the remote press the red button and it comes on, what's difficult about that?

I'm all in favour of free to air TV, but no HD in this day and age is a joke. It's like watching Screensport circa 1992.

I'm all in favour of free to air TV, but no HD in this day and age is a joke. It's like watching Screensport circa 1992.

That's what you get for £100 a month. Sky's coverage is second to none, it's brilliant but it's a complete rip off for all sports. If it's not in HD but still looks good so be it as it's free to watch.

That's what you get for £100 a month. Sky's coverage is second to none, it's brilliant but it's a complete rip off for all sports. If it's not in HD but still looks good so be it as it's free to watch.

I'm gonna listen to it on the wireless instead

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°
Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

Nick, fair point and I understand what they were thinking , but putting it on 'red button TV' behind the main channel kind of defeats the object on this one?

Also, and it really pains me to say it, is, if you haven't got 'subscription TV' you will never be able to afford to play golf anyway. :(

Just my opinion, not saying I'm right .

Nick, fair point and I understand what they were thinking , but putting it on 'red button TV' behind the main channel kind of defeats the object on this one?

Also, and it really pains me to say it, is, if you haven't got 'subscription TV' you will never be able to afford to play golf anyway. :(

Huh?? I can't afford but I've played golf at my club for 30 years....clubs make it affordable by paying monthly etc

Sky is just a plain rip off its £100 a month...don't pay it you can play golf and buy a new set of clubs with the change.

I agree with not being on normal channels but BBC are so far up athletics backside it's untrue and it's London so golf has played wrongly second fidle. But christ you can put it on bbc4 all day no problem

Huh?? I can't afford but I've played golf at my club for 30 years....clubs make it affordable by paying monthly etc

Sky is just a plain rip off its £100 a month...don't pay it you can play golf and buy a new set of clubs with the change.

I agree with not being on normal channels but BBC are so far up athletics backside it's untrue and it's London so golf has played wrongly second fidle. But christ you can put it on bbc4 all day no problem

You can join one hell of a club for £100 per month rather than give it to Murdoch

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°
Cleveland Mashie - 20.5°
Mizuno MP32 - 3-PW
Wilson Staff 8882

The only thing that Maureen Madill & Mark James are currently inspiring is sleep!

Oh and it was announced last week that golf participation has gone up in the U.K. the last couple of years. Damn Sky and their coverage of The Open and everything else stopping the game from growing...lol.

Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Oh and Sky Sports doesn't cost £100 a month. That is completely incorrect. You can even now just get Sky Sports Golf.

Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

The only thing that Maureen Madill & Mark James are currently inspiring is sleep!

Oh and it was announced last week that golf participation has gone up in the U.K. the last couple of years. Damn Sky and their coverage of The Open and everything else stopping the game from growing...lol.

The sky coverage is outstanding, it's the cost I have an issue with. Hence why I use a kodi now, I simply can't afford it or justify the cost. I think clubs getting rid of joining on fees, free membership to juniors under 12 and clubs helping out on the payment structure has alot do with people taking golf up. Plus a cost of a footy season ticket is so expensive now that golf seems great value for money. The real stat will be in 20 years, and see if the numbers are the same or up.

Oh and Sky Sports doesn't cost £100 a month. That is completely incorrect. You can even now just get Sky Sports Golf.

Full sports package is £89...not far off and it's a rip off.

That's for the full package of everything. If you just want to watch the Golf you are taking £40. Just went and checked.

Less than the cost of a decent paper every day.

Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Full sports package is £89...not far off and it's a rip off.

That's for the full package of everything. If you just want to watch the Golf you are taking £40. Just went and checked.

Less than the cost of a decent paper every day.

Fair enough, but I only watch the majors, ryder cup, Solheim cup etc..so it's kodi for me. I'm just happy I watching the pga without paying.