2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Played with a "pro" yesterday.

JumboJack

Preface, this may sound like a humble brag but it really isn't.

Went out and played Skylinks yesterday. The Long Beach open is next week, 170,000.00 mini tour type event. Over the years some legit players have won on their way up including Kevin Na. But I digress...

Got paired up with a pro getting ready for the tournament. He was right around my age 50'ish. Staff bag with his name on it and everything. He talked a LOT about his game and exploits. Apparently he just got back from Europe and missed out on qualifying for the Open Championship by two.... He was bummed that the Senior even in Newport Beach was cancelled because he was exempt this year (more on this later).

I'm thinking to myself, "I wonder if I can hang with this guy (my current index is 0.6)".

He hit the ball well but I pretty much out played him tee to green (we only got 15 holes in due to darkness) I ended +1over with three birdies and he was around 5 or 6 over with 0 birdies).

Now I could have looked at it two ways....

"Wow I'm awesome I beat a pro" or, "well he had an off day".

I was leaning toward the latter.... Until I got home and googled him.

Yes he is in the LBO this week (anyone with 770.00 can enter without qualifying) but his name also (and only) came up under a a handful of pre-qualifying events.

A few Senior tour events and the Phoenix open among a few others.

82, 85, 85, 92 ect.......

And a smooth 85 at pre-qualifying for the last Newport Beach Senior event held (where there were a TON of 66's 67's and so on. Half the field shot under par.

In all the qualifiers he was dead last or close to it.

I don't get it.... IMHO he might be a 1-3 index on a good day.

I have a feeling he is very well off as he was driving a sweet S Class Benz..

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delusional with a bankroll.

Hopefully he isn't filling slots blocking other players who would have actually had a chance.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Oh the vanity ... 7 capper thinks he's a +4

Serial liar as well ... did u look up his Euro qualifiers ?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

PM sent. I think I was in your group or at least I too played with him at skylinks last week. I won't comment about him but I don't think he'll be in the final group on Sunday any time soon.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Mark Burke?

Money opens a lot of doors.

If you're playing to a .6, change your profile (1.5)....lol

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Btdt too many times to count. I play a ton of rounds as a single and as such meet a ton of interesting ... golfers. 90% of the time it's a postive expereince but I've been paired with a couple "pros" too. I typically am between a 1 and 2 but have been as high as a +.7 in the last year. I've only ever been really impressed one time when someone told me they're a "pro" when we shake hands on the first tee. That kid was good, think he shot a 65 and every shot looked like a "pro" struck it, other than maybe one or two. What kills me is when they introduce themselves as a "pro", don't play anywhere near the rules, and insist on trying to give me tips when I'm beating them by 8 at the turn. Anyone can have a bad day but when you block/slice every tee shot the entire 18 out about 210 tips, you're not a pro. The last "pro" I played with did this. Shame too, he had a decent short game. Decent guy even, tried to help me straighten out the draw I was hitting off the tee that day ...:)

I looked up the kid that shot a 65 after the round and he'd never won anything of note, could only find a couple mini tour type events that he'd placed OK in, which further depressed my dream of being a pro. He was a metric butt ton better than me. He drove it straighter and much longer. He hit his long irons to the same proximity that I hit my short irons. He hit at least two irons less than me. If he was inside 150 he usually had 15ft or less for birdie, I'm happy to hit the green, or on an "on" day I'm happy to be on the correct side of the green. He did three putt once but only after nearly draining the initial 85 footer for eagle, missing the 8 footer coming back up. Play a round with a "pro" like that (I imagine it would be a lot like playing a round with Matt H. Or Chad M. from this site), and it'll give you a lot more respect for how good those guys are. If I'm dead on I might shoot two under on a 6k yard course. From 7k yards I have no hope of being under par and feel great being 2-3 over.

Case in point, I got rained out after 11 holes today and was even par (I birdied 10 and eagled 11 to get there so was super pissed when the rain came in sheets!!). The course is 5800 yards from the tips (par 70) and is rated at 66.8. My birdie on ten was on a 245 yard par 4 (downhill and downwind to boot) and My "eagle" came on a 435 yard par 5. From the tips. Lol! I'll count it only because the scorecard says I'm entitled to do so but I'd be lying to myself if I really counted it as anything other than a nice birdie (it's dead straight and no trouble anywhere so can't even be remotely considered a three shot hole). The scorecard does list it as 475 which makes it slightly more legit but gps runs right at 435. The only way for it be 475 would be to tee off from the previous green so I don't know how they came up with it either. As such the course lists its yardage as 6100 something, but there are no doglegs and from the tips to center of green it's only 5800. No wonder so many golfers are liars, hell even the courses are liars around here! Lol!!

Mark Burke?

Money opens a lot of doors.

If you're playing to a .6, change your profile (1.5)....lol

I never see signatures on my phone.

Let me see if I can change it ;)

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Oh the vanity ... 7 capper thinks he's a +4

Serial liar as well ... did u look up his Euro qualifiers ?

Yes, could not find anything.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I was playing with a buddy at his club one day as a twosome when a lone rider in a cart came driving up the 7th cart path and met us on the green. My buddy knew him and asked if he wanted to play. The older guy said sure. My buddy mentioned that he may not be used to playing from the one up tees( I figured he frequented the men's or seniors.)

Anyhow, I'm thinking "great". Now I have to deal with an old guy playing tees to long for him. Long story short he goes on to shoot 3 under on 5 holes before heading back into the clubhouse. Turns out this older guy is Joel Edwards. Long time PGA pro and winner.

I've since played numerous rounds with Joel and he never brings up his career unless he's asked. The guy shot a ho hum 66 and didn't even bother to ask his score. Great guy.

I was playing with a buddy at his club one day as a twosome when a lone rider in a cart came driving up the 7th cart path and met us on the green. My buddy knew him and asked if he wanted to play. The older guy said sure. My buddy mentioned that he may not be used to playing from the one up tees( I figured he frequented the men's or seniors.)

Anyhow, I'm thinking "great". Now I have to deal with an old guy playing tees to long for him. Long story short he goes on to shoot 3 under on 5 holes before heading back into the clubhouse. Turns out this older guy is Joel Edwards. Long time PGA pro and winner.

I've since played numerous rounds with Joel and he never brings up his career unless he's asked. The guy shot a ho hum 66 and didn't even bother to ask his score. Great guy.

Awesome story!

Similar situation - was joined up with a guy around 30 and his Dad. The Dad played with me from the member's tees but the 30-year-old said he was going to take on the tips. On the first hole he hit his 4 iron past where we hit our drives. It was only after this that his Dad said he "used to be on the Web.com Tour but could not make a living so came back to the family business."

He shot a tidy 5 under from the tips and it could have easily been a couple more strokes lower but he lipped out some putts. Was just really friendly, had an awesome game, and playing with he and his Dad was just a great overall experience.

Funniest part of the day - "long" par 3 playing about 180 for Dad and I. A little over 200 for the pro. He hit a 6 iron to within inches of an ace. As we were walking onto the green he made a statement about how close it had come and that he had never made one.

As good as this guy was and as much as he had played throughout his life and he had never made an ace.

The Dad laughed and bragged he had managed 3 of them.

Like I said, just a really cool day. This game sure is odd. Guy shoots the lights out but could not stay on the tour because not good enough to make a living doing it. And had never aced one. Dad was like me, a single digit but not even close to scratch - and he had made 3 of them. Got to love this game!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I was paired up with a "pro" once at a course with a 76 course rating. He was a "pro," not really a pro.

He was getting ready for a (then) buy.com Monday qualifier.

Whatever, ya know. Everyone's gotta do what they want to try in life.

To me, it's no less lame than the fad of competing in marathons, finishing whatever 2 hours behind the leaders, getting a participation medal and posting that and your marathon photos on Facebook like it's all noble and cutting-edge.

Both are actually pathetic, but yet since one is considered edgy, we have to give aspiring golfers the same level of respect and praise their often failed pursuits at their dreams.

Yeah it's actually very easy to get your "name on your bag"...then you have the teaching pros who think they're good.

This young guy joined my friend and I at the turn and he was the "assistant pro" at this muni...he was trying to show off I guess so he tried to hit driver off the deck on the tee box...he literally topped it. It was pretty sad and funny. He shot like 41 on the back.

I'm all for not being very good at golf. But don't act like you are. It's weird.

Yeah it's actually very easy to get your "name on your bag"...then you have the teaching pros who think they're good.

This young guy joined my friend and I at the turn and he was the "assistant pro" at this muni...he was trying to show off I guess so he tried to hit driver off the deck on the tee box...he literally topped it. It was pretty sad and funny. He shot like 41 on the back.

I'm all for not being very good at golf. But don't act like you are. It's weird.

Dead on!

I don't pay attention to the bag or what's in it. And never once have wanted to put my name on my bag.

But getting customized wedges - now you're talking! Some subtle on them like "It's in" or "I win". : )

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I was paired up with a "pro" once at a course with a 76 course rating. He was a "pro," not really a pro.

To me, it's no less lame than the fad of competing in marathons, finishing whatever 2 hours behind the leaders, getting a participation medal and posting that and your marathon photos on Facebook like it's all noble and cutting-edge.

Both are actually pathetic, but yet since one is considered edgy, we have to give aspiring golfers the same level of respect and praise their often failed pursuits at their dreams.

I'll be contrary on this one. No we do not. Not at all. If you claim to be a pro and a decent (+1-3HC) golfer spanked your behind playing his usual par game on easy courses, you deserve to feel a little heat. Especially if you're sitting at plus 8 at the turn. Those rounds can happen, don't get me wrong, but to watch one where you know the guy is much more capable is entirely different than to watch someone that has no clue how to score claims That they're a "pro". I see if it way too often, usually laughably so. If you're a pro, great! Play like one. If you're not, don't tell me you are then proceed to give me advice for the next four hours when I beat you by 12 (without cheating). I'll go on record and say that a credentialed pro will not lose to me more than one every blue moon. When that happens I can see they are having a bad day. The usual "pro" that I tee up with has no chance of being within five of par. Easy courses too. The few I've played with, my jaw is generally creating divots. The ones that claim they are that can shoot 90, I'd rather they just introduce themselves on the first tee and state "I usually shoot 90 but can have a decent round". I feel a lot better and I bet if they'd say that one the first tee, they'd play better. Doh!

I'll be contrary on this one. No we do not. Not at all. If you claim to be a pro and a decent (+1-3HC) golfer spanked your behind playing his usual par game on easy courses, you deserve to feel a little heat. Especially if you're sitting at plus 8 at the turn. Those rounds can happen, don't get me wrong, but to watch one where you know the guy is much more capable is entirely different than to watch someone that has no clue how to score claims That they're a "pro". I see if it way too often, usually laughably so. If you're a pro, great! Play like one. If you're not, don't tell me you are then proceed to give me advice for the next four hours when I beat you by 12 (without cheating). I'll go on record and say that a credentialed pro will not lose to me more than one every blue moon. When that happens I can see they are having a bad day. The usual "pro" that I tee up with has no chance of being within five of par. Easy courses too. The few I've played with, my jaw is generally creating divots. The ones that claim they are that can shoot 90, I'd rather they just introduce themselves on the first tee and state "I usually shoot 90 but can have a decent round". I feel a lot better and I bet if they'd say that one the first tee, they'd play better. Doh!

So for you someone representing themselves as a pro is more noxious than someone running a marathon and posting their participation medal?

You seem to be just responding to the golf part (which is fine) but on that note would you be any less ticked off if someone representing themselves as an AMATEUR was giving you unwanted advice, while you were beating them on the course?

It seems we all take pride in beating someone on the course, and nobody likes unsolicited advice about really anything, on or off the course.

But the question is if callling yourself a pro, isolated from bad golf and unsolicited advice, is especially vexing? Why is one person's description of them self especially upsetting to another person?

Is it more rewarding to know you beat an amateur, or a wannabe pro?

Should it be rewarding to beat ANYBODY, anywhere, if you didn't hoist the Claret Jug today?

Sentiment like this is why I HATE HATE HATE playing with strangers. Just no.

So for you someone representing themselves as a pro is more noxious than someone running a marathon and posting their participation medal?

You seem to be just responding to the golf part (which is fine) but on that note would you be any less ticked off if someone representing themselves as an AMATEUR was giving you unwanted advice, while you were beating them on the course?

It seems we all take pride in beating someone on the course, and nobody likes unsolicited advice about really anything, on or off the course.

But the question is if callling yourself a pro, isolated from bad golf and unsolicited advice, is especially vexing? Why is one person's description of them self especially upsetting to another person?

Should it be rewarding to beat ANYBODY, anywhere, if you didn't hoist the Claret Jug today?

Speaking for myself, I was not in the least bit upset with him in any way.

The whole point of this thread is the perplexing question of why someone would put himself through the ( I have to assume ) constant embarrassment of not being able to break 85 in a pre qualifier?

Sure, a good golfer can have a bad round now and again. I myself have broken par at a course and then the next time I played there shot 80.

This seems like a vanity-cap at the most extreme level.

It's just really weird, that's all.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Riiiiiight. Because finishing a marathon at 4 hours is shameful.

Who are these people who brag about running 26.2 miles when we all know any idiot can do it?

The whole point of this thread is the perplexing question of why someone would put himself through the ( I have to assume ) constant embarrassment of not being able to break 85 in a pre qualifier?

Sure, a good golfer can have a bad round now and again. I myself have broken par at a course and then the next time I played there shot 80.

Well, I suppose it's just a recreational activity for them. Going to marathon example, why would someone go through a year of purposeless training and subject themselves to a grueling multi-hour run, embarrass themselves, and yet take pride in completing it and receive Facebook likes?

They probably do it because it brings them some level of satisfaction, gives them something to focus on and keep busy.

If something is permitted, it is promoted. And so long as it is legal to represent yourself as a pro, we should accept this travesty as a byproduct of the lack of oversight with the handicapping system, or poorly-funded mini tour events looking the other way to stay funded.

It seems the theme here is that it is upsetting or otherwise emotion-provoking or thought-provoking that someone would represent themselves as being better than they are. Yet that happens in job interviews, first dates, used car sales, and home mortgages.

To that end, our economy is predicated on a system that allows people--literally--to purchase things they can't afford to buy. It is rolling debt.

So this person has a rolling debt of talent; he'll probably never qualify for a pro event, like some never pay off a mortgage. But by trying, he is at least making his payments, so to speak. Defaulting for him would be throwing in the towel, giving up and not playing the game.

Some make it, many don't. Some pay off their mortgage, many never do.

I suppose my point is that calling yourself a pro if you are bad at golf does both bother me too much. It's gonna happen, and is just a reflection of the talent distribution in any activity, and some people doing their hobby in a certain way.

I don't think it is anymore shameful than borrrowing money for something you can't afford. I don't think home "owners" are embarrassed, and renters have pride. It's like: whatever.

Finishing a marathon is deserving of a medal. And being two hours behind the leaders is hardly embarrassing.

Why does that deserve a medal? No chance of ever coming close to winning, but competing alongside professional runners?

How is that not pathetic?

It's painfully obvious you've never run a marathon (or contributed a worthwhile post based on your history here).

Finishing a marathon is deserving of a medal. And being two hours behind the leaders is hardly embarrassing.

Why does that deserve a medal? No chance of ever coming close to winning, but competing alongside professional runners?

How is that not pathetic?

they don't claim and introduce themselves as pro marathon runners, the problem here is people introducing themselves as someone they're not. If they just introduce themselves as golfer instead of pro golfer, we won't have this problem. I certainly wouldn't call runners who finish 2 hours behind leaders pathetic.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

I never got the entire brag thing. I don't see what people get out of doing so. Even more so if the individual inflates the accomplishment.