Played with a "pro" yesterday.

JumboJack

I've played with PGA, LPGA and Champion Tour pros and I have to say these guys and gals are the truth, their short game is just amazing, I can move it out there with them, but their proximity to the hole is that much better than mine, not to mention that if they miss the green, about 90% of the time they will get up and down, me not so much, the closest I got to any of them was 3 strokes back (LPGA)...

But, but...you're a 4 handicap?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played with PGA, LPGA and Champion Tour pros and I have to say these guys and gals are the truth, their short game is just amazing, I can move it out there with them, but their proximity to the hole is that much better than mine, not to mention that if they miss the green, about 90% of the time they will get up and down, me not so much, the closest I got to any of them was 3 strokes back (LPGA)...

But, but...you're a 4 handicap?

True...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

"Saw one, where the coach implied he played the PGA tour because he got in an

Event as a section qualifier. "

So he claimed he played the pga tour when he played the pga tour? How dare him.

I would try to find the bio, but what's the point....in a thread trending absurdly, I was having fun....hope you played well

It seems more threads than usual have trended absurdly in the past few days :wacko:

To me, it's no less lame than the fad of competing in marathons, finishing whatever 2 hours behind the leaders, getting a participation medal and posting that and your marathon photos on Facebook like it's all noble and cutting-edge.

Both are actually pathetic, but yet since one is considered edgy, we have to give aspiring golfers the same level of respect and praise their often failed pursuits at their dreams.

Riiiiiight. Because finishing a marathon at 4 hours is shameful.

Who are these people who brag about running 26.2 miles when we all know any idiot can do it?

A fat guy on my golf league ran the Detroit Marathon, and finished. Doesn't look like a running in any way/shape/form.

Not sure what it is about golf but it seems to attract more posers than any other sport combined. I guess hitting 2% of your shots per round to a standard a tour pro would be satisfied with as an average shot convinces people they "have" what it takes with just some extra practice the pros get playing full time. Guys like this are almost as common as pros that can actually play. The even more pathetic part is they all seem to have some kind of enormous fabrication about how they were playing on some obscure tour in a foreign country you can't find any data on, or "just missed" qualifying for something. It is also NEVER the guy with the dirty/beat up stand bag with worn out clubs, and always the guy with a staff bag, name patch, latest brand new clubs, and coordinated "tour pro" outfit.

I agree bs tour players are annoying, but surely golfers with inflated egos make good marks for hustlers? If you are a 2 and you meet a 'pro' who is an obvious hack, ask for 3 a side in a money game. I don't come across 'pros' very often, but I have plucked plenty of vanity cap golfers over the years (usually just for beers back at the club as gambling on golf isn't big in Australia).

I played with the same guy on the same course a couple of days prior to OP. I don't really care if people want to exaggerate or lie. This guy obviously was a different kind of guy. But what was more important to me was he was a drag to be around. Negative and angry. But he did get a little more relaxed as the round progressed. The most impressive thing was a younger guy with the group after the round said 'I never played with a pro before. Can I take a picture with you?' The pro looked proud and embarrassed in the same moment and they took the pic.

Self deceit is a powerful thing...

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Not sure what it is about golf but it seems to attract more posers than any other sport combined. I guess hitting 2% of your shots per round to a standard a tour pro would be satisfied with as an average shot convinces people they "have" what it takes with just some extra practice the pros get playing full time. Guys like this are almost as common as pros that can actually play. The even more pathetic part is they all seem to have some kind of enormous fabrication about how they were playing on some obscure tour in a foreign country you can't find any data on, or "just missed" qualifying for something. It is also NEVER the guy with the dirty/beat up stand bag with worn out clubs, and always the guy with a staff bag, name patch, latest brand new clubs, and coordinated "tour pro" outfit.

Usually these people have never seen a pro up close, so they don't really understand.

It's like the guy at the local gym who thinks he's the biggest/strongest in the state or the "hot" girl from a small town who thinks she's a movie star.

I think the comparison to playing in a tour event and shooting 80 is quite different from running a marathon and finishing 2 hours behind the leader.

I think a better comparison is claiming to be a pro golfer and claiming to be a professional runner. Its one thing to finish a marathon (quite an accomplishment) and its one thing to play competitive golf, but to brag about being a professional golfer and to share false exploits is more akin to running a marathon and finishing in the back of the pack (while struggling to do so). Then bragging that you are a professional runner and making it sound as though you often finish closer to the lead, while implying your times are way better than they are. Then telling stories of your journeys around the globe running in marathons as a pro.

Some people just need to tell false stories to feel good about themselves. Its really an attempt to shape another's perception of who they are. Its a self esteem problem.

I had a guy in his mid 20s approach me on the first tee one afternoon and ask if he could join me and I said "sure". I was on the back tees and he stated this was his normal tee box. Who was I to question that? Before we teed off he began bragging that he was a scratch golfer and had played in several city opens, state opens and even the USGA am. He said he was practicing for a PGA qualifier later in the month. Again, who am I to question? I thought I was in for a treat.

He insisted I go first, so I teed off with a 3 wood, hitting it about 265 down the middle, leaving myself approximately 150 for my approach. He teed up his ball and began this very strange pre-shot routine. After 45 seconds of preparation he took a mighty (and odd) swing with his driver, appearing to give it all he had. The ball left the tee about 10 yards off the ground with a heck of a slice, carried about 150 yards and then rolled out about 50 yards. Without boring you with shot-by-shot details, this happened on each subsequent shot. His putting was something to behold and probably the worst I've ever seen. He tapped in for a crowd pleasing 7 on the opening par 4. The next two holes were carbon copies and as we approached the fourth tee he said he had somewhere to be and made his exit. Very strange.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I forgot to mention his name came up on a mini tour players blog (actually it was his caddies blog) from a few years ago.

This was a mini tour with entry fees over 1k.

He mentioned seeing him on the practice tee before the round with a gigantic staff bag.

He then mentions that this player went on to shoot 90. And wrote "I wonder if Brand 1 and Brand 2 are paying him to carry

Brand 3's bag?" Brutal.... And why I don't want to mention his name.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I forgot to mention his name came up on a mini tour players blog (actually it was his caddies blog) from a few years ago.

This was a mini tour with entry fees over 1k.

He mentioned seeing him on the practice tee before the round with a gigantic staff bag.

He then mentions that this player went on to shoot 90. And wrote "I wonder if Brand 1 and Brand 2 are paying him to carry

Brand 3's bag?" Brutal.... And why I don't want to mention his name.

Did he vaguely resemble a younger Rocco mediate?

Hmmmm. No comment?

Well, then I will assume I maybe had him play through my group at a course on LA 14 years ago.

(But what are the chances; there are probably hundreds of people in SoCal with Staff bags with their name on them that drive expensive cars and don't seem to be good at golf, so it probably wasn't the same person).

It'd be funny and random if it was, though.

Hmmmm. No comment?

Well, then I will assume I maybe had him play through my group at a course on LA 14 years ago.

(But what are the chances; there are probably hundreds of people in SoCal with Staff bags with their name on them that drive expensive cars and don't seem to be good at golf, so it probably wasn't the same person).

He's actually a pretty good golfer. I suppose he's just not a very good professional golfer. As his record seem to show he's never cashed a check.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I was paired up with a "pro" once at a course with a 76 course rating. He was a "pro," not really a pro.

He was getting ready for a (then) buy.com Monday qualifier.

Whatever, ya know. Everyone's gotta do what they want to try in life.

To me, it's no less lame than the fad of competing in marathons, finishing whatever 2 hours behind the leaders, getting a participation medal and posting that and your marathon photos on Facebook like it's all noble and cutting-edge.

Both are actually pathetic, but yet since one is considered edgy, we have to give aspiring golfers the same level of respect and praise their often failed pursuits at their dreams.

I'll be contrary on this one. No we do not. Not at all. If you claim to be a pro and a decent (+1-3HC) golfer spanked your behind playing his usual par game on easy courses, you deserve to feel a little heat. Especially if you're sitting at plus 8 at the turn. Those rounds can happen, don't get me wrong, but to watch one where you know the guy is much more capable is entirely different than to watch someone that has no clue how to score claims That they're a "pro". I see if it way too often, usually laughably so. If you're a pro, great! Play like one. If you're not, don't tell me you are then proceed to give me advice for the next four hours when I beat you by 12 (without cheating). I'll go on record and say that a credentialed pro will not lose to me more than one every blue moon. When that happens I can see they are having a bad day. The usual "pro" that I tee up with has no chance of being within five of par. Easy courses too. The few I've played with, my jaw is generally creating divots. The ones that claim they are that can shoot 90, I'd rather they just introduce themselves on the first tee and state "I usually shoot 90 but can have a decent round". I feel a lot better and I bet if they'd say that one the first tee, they'd play better. Doh!

So for you someone representing themselves as a pro is more noxious than someone running a marathon and posting their participation medal?

You seem to be just responding to the golf part (which is fine) but on that note would you be any less ticked off if someone representing themselves as an AMATEUR was giving you unwanted advice, while you were beating them on the course?

It seems we all take pride in beating someone on the course, and nobody likes unsolicited advice about really anything, on or off the course.

But the question is if callling yourself a pro, isolated from bad golf and unsolicited advice, is especially vexing? Why is one person's description of them self especially upsetting to another person?

Is it more rewarding to know you beat an amateur, or a wannabe pro?

Should it be rewarding to beat ANYBODY, anywhere, if you didn't hoist the Claret Jug today?

Sentiment like this is why I HATE HATE HATE playing with strangers. Just no.

So you would be ok with someone who failed and dropped out of med school calling themself a doctor?

No. The USGA says you are a pro if you say you are a pro. You can't just say you are a doctor and be a doctor (you need to graduate med school, pass several licensing exams, etc).

But with golf, if anyone declares them self a pro golfer, they are a pro golfer.

Now, had he said he was a fully-exempt member of a professional tour, that's a different story.

Which is why in this thread I made the Marathon example; simply calling yourself a pro, and showing up to a marathon in pro marathon gear and running are more alike.

I understand the dude may have inflated stories about some things he played in, but it doesn't sound like he full-on came out and said he was in the FedEx cup last year and finished in the top 30.

But man, the guy I played a Hole with that I'm pretending is the same person, man... a luxury convertible car (and not the kind you buy at your neighborhood luxury car dealer), and not one but TWO 10+ women that were hotter than a volcano waiting for him at his car in the parking lot. It's gotta be cool to have some pretty women greet you after you've loaded your staff bag into the car.

I felt kinda bad for him. On a long par 4 he pulled out a hybrid and sliced it into a canyon, while shaking his head and saying: "too much."

Hmmm

Hmmmm. No comment?

He's actually a pretty good golfer. I suppose he's just not a very good professional golfer. As his record seem to show he's never cashed a check.

If it's same dude I'm thinking of, hehe, well let's just say that guy doesn't need the money.

First off, there is no such thing as a "passive brag."

If ya did it, that's not bragging, it's just stating fact(s)-

My thing is, he missed Q'n The Open Championship by 2 ???

Alrighty then ?

Sounds like the "pro" version of Josh Scobee ??

Oh well, such is life

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

And it's real friggin leather?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Amazing to me this is 6 pages long... The guy told me he's from Jupiter Fl. You could tell he really wants to be a golfer. Plenty of passion but a lot of self-abuse. He had a tough little pitch over a hump that was gonna kick the ball left from just off the green. He got to about 10'. And cursed himself. I told him it was a tough shot. He angrily shot back 'no it wasn't. It was easy' like I was an idiot who didn't know the skills of a pro like him.

I think he's playing in Long Beach Open this week.

Amazing little local tournament. Two courses of pros with tee times till 2 pm for 2 days, then the cut to low 60. 72 holes. Plus the city amateur championship at the same time and I think the top guys get to play the weekend in the pro event.

That's a golf orgy! A few guys on pga played there and won before making it to the tour. Winner will shot -16 or thereabouts. My buddies will miss the cut. Maybe not. I'd love to see one of them make it to the weekend.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Were this far in and I'm still mildly offended that that concentric dimples guy says he HATES HATES HATES playing with golfers like me. And I still have no idea why? I'll throw this out there. Unless you're a cheat or an asshat, I'd love, love , love to pay a round with you. Or pretty much anyone on this board. Except maybe that Jason bloke.... he's too jacked. He squats more than my house weighs and I'm afraid the roids have taken root on that guy. Please don't break my face Mr Jason dude. :) Continue to be jacked,? That seems to be your thing. Just have mercy on us po' folk.

Have a great night guys!

Same goes for half-marathon participation medals.

And 5Ks.

What is impressive to one is not impressive to another.

Don't defacate on one's pursuit of a passion and/or dream.

I respect marathon runners for following their dreams, despite the fact it is horrible on the body and repeated marathons can lead to cardiac muscle damage.

Some collapse from dehydration. Some convulse. Some die trying. I don't respect that, doing an activity with zero purpose.

But I do respect playing tournament golf, both for Tour players and 36-caps alike.

Playing golf as a wannabe pro should not be denigrated either, and is no less noble than subjecting yourself to pain just to finish a 26.2 mile long nonsensical exercise of energy expenditure and burning of body mass to fuel tired muscles in celebration of something early man NEVER did (run for four hours straight).

Did your girlfriend leave you for a runner? I don't understand your frustration. I do understand your argument, but as someone who has run the NYC Marathon (in 5 hours...gasp!) and also competed in 4 US Mid Ams I can assure you that you are completely off base in comparing the two. To the point of being offensive almost. I am as proud of my finisher medal for NYC as I am my USGA Medals. My wife has a real corny shirt that I think was written for people like you. It reads "I'd rather be crazy than lazy"

I was thinking the same thing. I don't enjoy running, but his level of hate is downright weird.

Were this far in and I'm still mildly offended that that concentric dimples guy says he HATES HATES HATES playing with golfers like me. And I still have no idea why? I'll throw this out there. Unless you're a cheat or an asshat, I'd love, love , love to pay a round with you. Or pretty much anyone on this board. Except maybe that Jason bloke.... he's too jacked. He squats more than my house weighs and I'm afraid the roids have taken root on that guy. Please don't break my face Mr Jason dude. :) Continue to be jacked,? That seems to be your thing. Just have mercy on us po' folk.

Have a great night guys!

There's really nothing to understand, if someone HATES HATES HATES it's a reflection on them not the people targeted.

And for the record I hope you know I'm being sarcastic with all the jacked talk, the irony is I'm not a big guy but of course can drive it 342 carry ??

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Are you kidding me?

I would say this thread demonstrates a vast lack of knowledge about the golf business.

Club pros often play very little golf! They're too busy running a golf course. I know of a pro, who is a good tournament winning player, who got in only 6 rounds in 2 years.

To expect that every time they tee it up they'll break par is impossible.

So the OP likely plays many, many more rounds than a club pro, and wants to claim superiority based on a very small sample.

I consider this thread a pitiful exercise in fantasy and self gratification, and nothing more!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Are you kidding me?

I would say this thread demonstrates a vast lack of knowledge about the golf business.

Club pros often play very little golf! They're too busy running a golf course. I know of a pro, who is a good tournament winning player, who got in only 6 rounds in 2 years.

So the OP likely plays many, many more rounds than a club pro, and wants to claim superiority based on a very small sample.

I consider this thread a pitiful exercise in fantasy and self gratification, and nothing more!

Texsport

From what I'm reading, I don't think the OP is talking about a club pro.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Are you kidding me?

Texsport

I'm pretty sure the guy in the OP was claiming to be a playing pro/tour pro, not a club pro.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Are you kidding me?

Texsport

I'm pretty sure the guy in the OP was claiming to be a playing pro/tour pro, not a club pro.

Correct. He is not a club pro.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I'll share my similar-ish experience, it was laughable....

Playing in a thursday pre-qualifier for Valero texas two years ago (I'm an am, work full time, more fun test for me than anything else). The thing that's interesting, if you're an Am, you need to have a sub 2 (or something similar) to play in a PGA or Web qualifier, but if you're a "pro" you can basically get in so long as you have the $$$.

Anyhow, I had google'd the guy I was paired with and saw what OP mentioned, scores in the 80s and 90s in pre-qualifiers. Sweet, this should be fun.

I turned in 36 (with a missed 3 footer on 8, and a 3 putt par on 9) and we got put on the clock at the turn - I ended up pressing on the back and made some dubs and shot a 78, it is what it is, but I will say, shooting 70 or better on any given day is tough for most of us, but you get paired with someone who can't break 90 and get put on the clock, its damn near impossible.

Here's my playing partner's card... I really wish, for the sake of the grinders out there, they would put a "USGA rule" in place where if you don't break 80 or something you need to prove you can play before getting into qualifiers... just my two cents.