2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Played with a "pro" yesterday.

JumboJack

Here's my playing partner's card... I really wish, for the sake of the grinders out there, they would put a "USGA rule" in place where if you don't break 80 or something you need to prove you can play before getting into qualifiers... just my two cents.

They did put such a rule in place, that's what the pre qualifier is there for. It's so people with a legitimate shot at qualifying (those in the Monday) don't have to go through what you went through, yet whoever is collecting money from the entry fees can still make their money off of these fiascos.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never understood the pro's who tell their playing partners before hand that they are pro's. I do everything I can to avoid saying it unless I'm outright asked. I hate spending the whole round having guys in the group asking for tips the entire round and taking me through every swing thought they've ever had in their entire life.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Were this far in and I'm still mildly offended that that concentric dimples guy says he HATES HATES HATES playing with golfers like me. And I still have no idea why? I'll throw this out there. Unless you're a cheat or an asshat, I'd love, love , love to pay a round with you. Or pretty much anyone on this board. Except maybe that Jason bloke.... he's too jacked. He squats more than my house weighs and I'm afraid the roids have taken root on that guy. Please don't break my face Mr Jason dude. :) Continue to be jacked,? That seems to be your thing. Just have mercy on us po' folk.

Have a great night guys!

There's really nothing to understand, if someone HATES HATES HATES it's a reflection on them not the people targeted.

And for the record I hope you know I'm being sarcastic with all the jacked talk, the irony is I'm not a big guy but of course can drive it 342 carry ??

I said I hate hate HATE playing with strangers because of the opinions expressed in this thread, and what that reflects about how most human beings heavily analyze, judge, and have sometimes strong feelings about someone they get paired with. That's a reflection on human psychology, not me.

And if I go to play as a single, I enjoy the quiet and experiencing nature. I do not like being ditched into pseudo-social interaction with a stranger.

Some people like to run marathons. Others like to judge bad pros. Others like golf, some like basket-weaving, and I like sometimes playing golf in the evening alone.

If o go the grocery store, I would hate getting paired up with a stranger to share a cart for 18 aisles. It would be weird.

Were this far in and I'm still mildly offended that that concentric dimples guy says he HATES HATES HATES playing with golfers like me. And I still have no idea why? I'll throw this out there. Unless you're a cheat or an asshat, I'd love, love , love to pay a round with you. Or pretty much anyone on this board. Except maybe that Jason bloke.... he's too jacked. He squats more than my house weighs and I'm afraid the roids have taken root on that guy. Please don't break my face Mr Jason dude. :) Continue to be jacked,? That seems to be your thing. Just have mercy on us po' folk.

Have a great night guys!

There's really nothing to understand, if someone HATES HATES HATES it's a reflection on them not the people targeted.

And for the record I hope you know I'm being sarcastic with all the jacked talk, the irony is I'm not a big guy but of course can drive it 342 carry ??

I said I hate hate HATE playing with strangers because of the opinions expressed in this thread, and what that reflects about how most human beings heavily analyze, judge, and have sometimes strong feelings about someone they get paired with. That's a reflection on human psychology, not me.

And if I go to play as a single, I enjoy the quiet and experiencing nature. I do not like being ditched into pseudo-social interaction with a stranger.

Some people like to run marathons. Others like to judge bad pros. Others like golf, some like basket-weaving, and I like sometimes playing golf in the evening alone.

If o go the grocery store, I would hate getting paired up with a stranger to share a cart for 18 aisles. It would be weird.

But if it's ok to judge someone who likes playing alone, then it's OK to judge a marathon runner, a marathon "runner," a bad pro, and so forth.

I think a lot of us spend a whole lot of our free time on an Internet forum because the real world does not hold what we seek, and is lacking or unfulfilling in interpersonal relationships. So there are gonna be a lot of us that think we are social and participate freely in socializing with strangers, but at some level know deep down inside we are off-putting and alienate people.

And then there are some of who are more introverted who know at some level the world and golf course aren't very fulfilling places for us, and find artificial connection in the online forum medium.

These and other types of habitual forum users will rarely ever see eye to eye on anything, and like a robot figured out in an 80's movie: "the only way to win is not to play."

Have a great night guys!

Have a great night guys!

Sorry you start this many threads about random subjects trying to spark conversation and you DON'T like interacting with strangers?

That's odd.

But if it's ok to judge someone who likes playing alone, then it's OK to judge a marathon runner, a marathon "runner," a bad pro, and so forth.

I think a lot of us spend a whole lot of our free time on an Internet forum because the real world does not hold what we seek, and is lacking or unfulfilling in interpersonal relationships. So there are gonna be a lot of us that think we are social and participate freely in socializing with strangers, but at some level know deep down inside we are off-putting and alienate people.

And then there are some of who are more introverted who know at some level the world and golf course aren't very fulfilling places for us, and find artificial connection in the online forum medium.

These and other types of habitual forum users will rarely ever see eye to eye on anything, and like a robot figured out in an 80's movie: "the only way to win is not to play."

BIG difference between preferring to play alone and HATING being paired with someone. I enjoy both for different reasons. Not a judgement call either, just odd as has been said.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I have a close friend who is a Master PGA Professional.(Look up the definition)

He played the PGA Tour in the old days before the all exempt tour.

Recently he related a story about golf being cyclic. It seems he was once playing in the Texas Open, and was paired with Dave Stockton the first 2 rounds. Stockton played terrible, even topping 3 tee shots.

My friend was surprised when Stockton won the PGA Championship just weeks later!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

The scores are in from the first round. There were 297 entrants. They range from 64 to (I kid you not) 103. 109 players shot even or better.

Our hero was between 80 and 103.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

The scores are in from the first round. There were 297 entrants. They range from 64 to (I kid you not) 103. 109 players shot even or better.

Our hero was between 80 and 103.

141 shot even or better.

I'd hate to be the guys that played with the 103.

You're right. They were tied for 109th.

The cut will be pretty low.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I have a friend who qualified for the PGA Championship back in the 80's. He came in next to last. Only Arnold Palmer had a worse day. Forever, he gets to say "I played in the PGA and beat Arnold Palmer."

I don't have a clue what that has to do with this thread, but it's a great story.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Finishing a marathon is deserving of a medal. And being two hours behind the leaders is hardly embarrassing.

Why does that deserve a medal? No chance of ever coming close to winning, but competing alongside professional runners?

How is that not pathetic?

Man dude who pissed in your cornflakes. I have raced ironmans for over a decade, ran marathons, raced bike races, mountain bike races...hell you name it in the endurance world and I have toed the line. every age group races it's own race. you aren't competing against the pros, you are racing against others in your age group. I've coached endurance sports for about 6 years now and have coached pro's, elite amateurs and people who just wanted to do something they couldn't believe they could do at the start of the journey. I can assure you that seeing their face when they cross is a million times more rewarding than seeing a pro lose by 10 min to the leaders. It takes serious fortitude, strength both mentally and physically to accomplish something that is extremely difficult. F*&% an A right they deserve a medal and all the congrats they want. Everyone starts from scratch, including the pros so by your logic if you don't jump out of the womb running 4:30 miles you should just hang it up and say I'm not good enough. Take your piss on others attitude elsewhere man.

Recently he related a story about golf being cyclic. It seems he was once playing in the Texas Open, and was paired with Dave Stockton the first 2 rounds. Stockton played terrible, even topping 3 tee shots.

My friend was surprised when Stockton won the PGA Championship just weeks later!

Texsport

I was an honorary observer at the Insperity championships in The Woodlands this year and walked with Tommy Armour III, Kevin Sutherland and Steve Lowry...TAIII who was a total CAT bombs the ball all day and shoots under par and made it look easy, Sutherland was a class act the whole day, came over and talked with me and was super cool shot a couple under as well...Lowry...WOW. shot 83 I think and hit some shots that honestly were just absolutely horrendous and I mean HORRENDOUS. first hole he has about a 75 yard wedge shot on a par 5 and the pin is low right on the green. dude hit his wedge 70 feet left of the flag and on the back left upper deck. I was stunned how bad he played. Didn't seem to really bother him though and just plugged along all day. 2 weeks later complete opposite and was leading the event I think or was near the top on a much tougher course. totally perplexing to say the least. Had to have been working on something the day I watched him.

Texsport

I was an honorary observer at the Insperity championships in The Woodlands this year and walked with Tommy Armour III, Kevin Sutherland and Steve Lowry...TAIII who was a total CAT bombs the ball all day and shoots under par and made it look easy, Sutherland was a class act the whole day, came over and talked with me and was super cool shot a couple under as well...Lowry...WOW. shot 83 I think and hit some shots that honestly were just absolutely horrendous and I mean HORRENDOUS. first hole he has about a 75 yard wedge shot on a par 5 and the pin is low right on the green. dude hit his wedge 70 feet left of the flag and on the back left upper deck. I was stunned how bad he played. Didn't seem to really bother him though and just plugged along all day. 2 weeks later complete opposite and was leading the event I think or was near the top on a much tougher course. totally perplexing to say the least. Had to have been working on something the day I watched him.

Totally understand someone can have a bad day.

This guy looks like 80 is the very best he can do as witnessed by the scores from prior tournaments. He shot much more than 80 yesterday.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I have a friend who qualified for the PGA Championship back in the 80's. He came in next to last. Only Arnold Palmer had a worse day. Forever, he gets to say "I played in the PGA and beat Arnold Palmer."

I don't have a clue what that has to do with this thread, but it's a great story.

I'm sure our hero will add he beat a former PGA tour winner to his casual round banter repertoire as one WD'd after 9 holes. Also don't see any hometowns in the entire field listed as Jupiter, FL so that appears to have been a statement to embellish his "status" as a "pro" golfer. Also didn't make sense having a super expensive car if SoCal wasn't his hometown unless he was just insanely wealthy with multiple vacation homes stocked with luxury vehicles.

I'm sure our hero will add he beat a former PGA tour winner to his casual round banter repertoire as one WD'd after 9 holes. Also don't see any hometowns in the entire field listed as Jupiter, FL so that appears to have been a statement to embellish his "status" as a "pro" golfer. Also didn't make sense having a super expensive car if SoCal wasn't his hometown unless he was just insanely wealthy with multiple vacation homes stocked with luxury vehicles.

He told me he has a home in PV.

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

wait, so we should put rules in place so not just anyone can join something??!??!?! No way...

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Have a great night guys!

Sir, of course I know, sir. I'm being super polite since I'm trembling in fear, lol!!!

I'm so intimated with your jackedness that I'll will always kneel in reverence whenever you post! Lol. I bought in low on the super jacked comments and I'm hoping to sell high. Sooner or later I'll start shaking down posters for the lunch money, just because they'll have bought in too! :):):):)

Have a great night guys!

Have a great night guys!

I guess I can see it more clearly now. I just took offense when you stated that you'd hate to play golf with me. My wife would avoid outside human interaction entirely if she could figure out a way.so I get the introvert aspect. Since it seems like nothing personal, we're good in my book. I apologize if I read into it that it was a personal insult. It felt that way to me and I had no idea why. I felt like I had a differing opinion and all of the sudden you hated me. For the record I'd love to play a round with you (or pretty much everyone). If you were a quiet type, I'm sure I'd pick up on it early and allow you to enjoy the round as best you can. I'd hope that you could forgive me if I got a little excited for you when you hit a good shot. That's just me and I love to enjoy when people do something good. If we were to play, you might get an ovation, a tip of the hat, or even an "encore" type bow. Have a great night sir!

Lotta heat in this thread... I'll tell ya what boys, I'm a professional, a PGA apprentice. But I accept money for lessons and can play for money. Am I good at golf, yeah most days. But I work 80 hour weeks and some days I'm tired and play just to have a beer and shoot the s***. Do I PLAY for a living? Hell no... bless the poor souls that do. Can a very talented amatuer beat me, heck yes. But the same guy will ask me to help him fine tune things.

The difference between a playing pro and a club pro is massive. Keep it in persepective fellas. If you tee it up with me and I say "I'm a pro here" it means I run the golf dept. I could have a good day and smoke you, and I can have a bad day and get smoked. Fact of the matter is, only one of us is being paid to be there.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

i have played with many true tour pros---asian golf circuit order of merit winners and regulars, dunhill cup winner,canadian tour order of merit winners,and the best of our local pros plus many aspiring ones too..

many i played with during my best years--3 hdcp, 250+yds drives with balata balls and persimmon clubs and playing blades(am 71 now)..and i never could beat them over 18 holes..

some i beat over 9 holes but they would come back on the 2nd 9 with a vengeance and could almost shoot 3-5 birdies per 9 at will..

mind you that these were only practice rounds but with always some money at stake and they were almost never out of the 60s on fairly hard courses..

but i could never forget what one legend said after he missed an easy 4 footer for birdie--he grounded the putt!-- which would have won him a lot of money in our friendly winner take alls---"it's different when i'm playing with my own money!"

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

It's a perplexing question…why would a professional, at whatever level , enter and put himself through tournaments if he isn't or has never been competitive? There must be an element of enjoyment, a belief that things are improving and a hope that they're not far off a minor achievement that keeps them going. It may be that they are a little delusional but they want to be in that environment and are prepared to try and pay for the privilege. In the end everything comes to pass and well, did you enjoy what you were doing or not.

Whatever works.

I was paired up with a "pro" once at a course with a 76 course rating. He was a "pro," not really a pro.

He was getting ready for a (then) buy.com Monday qualifier.

Whatever, ya know. Everyone's gotta do what they want to try in life.

To me, it's no less lame than the fad of competing in marathons, finishing whatever 2 hours behind the leaders, getting a participation medal and posting that and your marathon photos on Facebook like it's all noble and cutting-edge.

Both are actually pathetic, but yet since one is considered edgy, we have to give aspiring golfers the same level of respect and praise their often failed pursuits at their dreams.

Participation medal? LOL I got $1,000 that says you cant even finish. You sound like you're just jealous.

Texsport

Ye golf can be funny some times. I played alot of minitours etc and tried to make it on tour before i quit 5 years ago and i have played many tournaments where myself or a playing partner has played 80+ in one round and under par the other in the two first days. You never know how you will play, remember a tournament a good time back where i couldnt hit a good shot at all and hacked around and played 81 the first round and 69 the second round. Hit it absolutely horrible both days and was horrible on the greens the first round and made every putt the second round. Needed a few weeks to fix my swing though, could barely hit the ball for a month or something and couldnt understand why i was swinging so bad.

Texsport

Ye golf can be funny some times. I played alot of minitours etc and tried to make it on tour before i quit 5 years ago and i have played many tournaments where myself or a playing partner has played 80+ in one round and under par the other in the two first days. You never know how you will play, remember a tournament a good time back where i couldnt hit a good shot at all and hacked around and played 81 the first round and 69 the second round. Hit it absolutely horrible both days and was horrible on the greens the first round and made every putt the second round. Needed a few weeks to fix my swing though, could barely hit the ball for a month or something and couldnt understand why i was swinging so bad.

Totally understand that. But in this case, the person at the center of the discussion has never broke 80 never mind 70 in ANY pro event ever.... I imagine his scoring average is around 88 or so. That's for every qualifier, pre-qualifier and pro tournament he has entered. And this goes back quite some time.... I honestly think this guy doesn't think the internet exists. Because it's really easy to see someone's accomplishments at the click of a mouse.

I kid you not he told me he just got back from Europe and missed qualifying for The Open by 2!

BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1