2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

McIlroy & Spieth: Who achieves the grand slam first?

MMB1500

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the people bashing Rory's putting ability and his game's suitability for Augusta, you know that he's been top 10 there each of the last four years, right? I think Sergio proved this year that you can win The Masters being a superior ball striker and having a good putting week.

Regardless, I think Jordan picks it up first. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes out and wins the PGA in a few weeks.

Phil's been 2nd about 100 times in a US Open. Do top 10's at Augusta get you the jacket now?

Certainly doesn't guarantee an eventual victory, but there are people in this thread that are acting like Rory has never made a cut at Augusta.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

Jordan wins more majors because of this approach and putting game. Not because I enjoy him (I can't stand his tv presence)

I'd much rather watch Rory swing the club..

Either way, both are supremely talented golfers.

But Rory doesn't seem to have the drive right now. I hope he gets is mojo back, and whips the field at Augusta if his putter can get hot and he puts on a ballstriking clinic

Jordan wins more majors because of this approach and putting game. Not because I enjoy him (I can't stand his tv presence)

But Rory doesn't seem to have the drive right now. I hope he gets is mojo back, and whips the field at Augusta if his putter can get hot and he puts on a ballstriking clinic

I like watching Rory more as well; he is electric and inspire people to audibly react with intensity both on the course and in family rooms and sports bars around the country.

Jordan takes us back in time with his on-course presence. A TV special before his first Masters appearance showcasing his obsequity to the Men of the game on the putting green and around the course.

Tiger would show up, not talk to anyone, and smack the pancakes out of golf balls and pump his fists. And pretty sure he's one of the only athletes (let alone golfers) to be worthy of (circa the time) AIM away messages that just read: "TIGER" during the telecast whether or not the person was watching golf.

Golf has seen progression, and regression, in the last 20 years. And unless aggression is brought back, the regression will continue.

If Sergio can win at Augusta, so can Rory. But I still think Jordan does it first.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

Spieth will be the favorite at the PGA this year so this topic could be decided soon. I think Spieth gets the slam first but it could be a while before Rory gets a win at ANGC. He just doesn't play enough in the buildup to the Masters and it takes him too long to get in a groove. He goes really low at the Masters on the weekend but the hole he digs is way too big. Being healthy prior to ANGC's four days of white privilege would be a big boost for Rory since using the off season to recover from insert surgical procedure here is what keeps him from playing pre-Masters tournaments.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I think Bellerive should fit JS not bad so that just means he has to miss one Rors Masters to have a chance there so I'll go with that.

I think it is slightly more likely for both Rors to win this PGA and JS to win this upcoming Masters for the one of the opposite to happen

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Lol at writing off McElroy for winning any more majors.

Rors is honestly a bad 14 hole stretch from having about 3 more majors so I agree.

Rors will pass Player, Spieth will surpass Phill, anything outside of that I'm slightly hesitant but I will put my name to those. CC: @OldTakesExposed.

Edit: Also Spieth going wire-wire two out of 3 is one of the most outrageous things ever

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Park Sung-hyun

As good a swing as Rory, as good a head as Jordan

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Spieth will close the Grand Slam sooner, Rory need to opt out 14 clubs deal from TM and use the putter he won Majors with before and just stick with it like Spieth does if he wants to putt lights out at Augusta. I think DJ needs to go back to the putter he won US Open with, his stint with Spider is over.

Spieth will win more majors because his swing doesn't hurt his body as much as Rory's does. Longevity + magic putter = more majors.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Spieth. He just comes off as much more driven and focused than Rory these days.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I like watching Rory more as well; he is electric and inspire people to audibly react with intensity both on the course and in family rooms and sports bars around the country.

Jordan takes us back in time with his on-course presence. A TV special before his first Masters appearance showcasing his obsequity to the Men of the game on the putting green and around the course.

Tiger would show up, not talk to anyone, and smack the pancakes out of golf balls and pump his fists. And pretty sure he's one of the only athletes (let alone golfers) to be worthy of (circa the time) AIM away messages that just read: "TIGER" during the telecast whether or not the person was watching golf.

Golf has seen progression, and regression, in the last 20 years. And unless aggression is brought back, the regression will continue.

I agree with golf needing a cut-throat competitor like Tiger in order to gain mass appeal to the game. This was touched on with another thread.

You need the talent & the charisma / competitve fire to make it interesting for the public. Pro golf pays well by just making the cut, and adding a couple top 25s.

Things not helping the games mass appeal:

-Spieth's calculating on course demeaner

-Rory's perceived lack of competitive drive (I want this tournament, I don't need it...)

-the audience knowing everyone gets paid, and everyone is buddy buddy... no conflict

Sorry for hi jacking the thread!

Spieth, because needing to win the PGA is a less pressurised scenario than requiring a win at Augusta.

Spieth looks and talks like someone who wants to go down as one of the greats of the game. Unfortunately McIlroy acts as though he is tired of the game.

Sure he says all the right things but that's pretty much all it is these days. His fire has gone, except perhaps in the Ryder Cup. Maybe it was a case of too much, too soon for him?

I would say Spieth has a better chance to win GS first by a fraction. I have nothing statistically to back this up, just a gut feeling. However Rory has some real advantages like Masters is a small field and he has had success at Augusta before. His biggest drawbacks are Spieth for one plays great there as do a few other players. Its been said many time in this thread......Rory needs to get more confident in his putting or a very least get super hot with flat stick that week.

I would say Spieth has a better chance to win GS first by a fraction. I have nothing statistically to back this up, just a gut feeling. However Rory has some real advantages like Masters is a small field and he has had success at Augusta before. His biggest drawbacks are Spieth for one plays great there as do a few other players. Its been said many time in this thread......Rory needs to get more confident in his putting or a very least get super hot with flat stick that week.

Agreed about McIlroy's putting. It is woeful. However I'm convinced a lot of his putting problems are due to poor green reading rather than a poor stroke. Perhaps he should move to aimpoint?

In light of Spieth's outstanding performance this week, I thought it would be interesting to pose a two part poll vis-a-vis Rory McIlroy. As two of the younger and more exciting talent's in golf, I believe the comparison of their careers is a relevant one. If either of them do:

1) Who will achieve the career grand slam first? and;

2) Who will end up with more majors?

A few year's ago, McIlroy looked untouchable and like he was at least going to comfortably surpass Nick Faldo's European record of six majors. I now believe that McIlroy will not win another major and have thought so for some time. Sure, he finished T4 today, but he was never even close to winning and his game seems to be regressing rather than improving. He also seems to lack the focus and drive he once had and there have always been questions about his mental strength when the going get tough.

Admittedly McIlroy has had to deal with a few off course injuries and distractions this year, but I believe these are being used as excuses to deflect from the state of his game.

Spieth on the other hand seems to go from strength to strength. Sure he's had his fare share of wobbles, but I believe his game is improving (other than perhaps his driving) and he certainly exorcised some demons today.

Both could achieve the grand slam but I believe the prospect of Spieth winning the PGA to be far more likely than McIlroy winning the Masters, where he has demons of his own. I could see Spieth easily reaching 10-12 majors. I predict McIlroy will be stuck on four for the rest of his career.

Thoughts?

Haven't time to read all the replies, but I will. I don't have a clue of the answer though I believe we now have a genuine big two - that we have been trying to invent for a while. I believe Jordans win will fire up Rory's ego and give him the kick he clearly needs.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wins the PGA just because...

Two great young golfers - the best two! I favour the Irishman without "hating" Jordan - bring it on. You will be boring people about seeing these two when you are in you your Care home - just enjoy whatever happens for what it is!

I think Spieth. He only needs a single left to complete the cycle. Rory needs the triple.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Easy answer is Spieth because he will get a chance first. Ask me again in a month, and if Spieth doesn't have it locked up then my answer will be Rory.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I will say Spieth simply because of putting, short game, and iron play. Kind of reminded me of Tiger a little this week at the open, drove it all over the place but saved par and made birdies anyways. No where near his A game with the driver, yet still wins by 3 over Kuchar who basically put on a ball striking clinic in the final round. The putter is the great equalizer!!!

On a side note, I realize Spieth just won and Rory finished 4th at the Open, but to have them tied as favorites at the PGA just doesn't make sense to me. For one, Rory never even contended at the Open. Back doored a 4th place finish and never even sniffed at the top of the leaderboard all week, so what makes him a favorite at the PGA? His game is not solid right now. If Spieth drives the ball at the PGA like he did at the Open, then he has little chance of winning. PGA will be way more penalizing for bad tee shots. The PGA also has a history of first time winners and with Kuchar's recent form and his ball striking I really like his chances over Spieth and Rory.

Kuchar is going off at 40-1 odds right now.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

I will say Spieth simply because of putting, short game, and iron play. Kind of reminded me of Tiger a little this week at the open, drove it all over the place but saved par and made birdies anyways. No where near his A game with the driver, yet still wins by 3 over Kuchar who basically put on a ball striking clinic in the final round. The putter is the great equalizer!!!

On a side note, I realize Spieth just won and Rory finished 4th at the Open, but to have them tied as favorites at the PGA just doesn't make sense to me. For one, Rory never even contended at the Open. Back doored a 4th place finish and never even sniffed at the top of the leaderboard all week, so what makes him a favorite at the PGA? His game is not solid right now. If Spieth drives the ball at the PGA like he did at the Open, then he has little chance of winning. PGA will be way more penalizing for bad tee shots. The PGA also has a history of first time winners and with Kuchar's recent form and his ball striking I really like his chances over Spieth and Rory.

Kuchar is going off at 40-1 odds right now.

Typically courses don't play fast in the PGA. They have to keep the fairways watered due to the time of year. The course is 7400 yards so the driver will be far more important than it was last week.

Not sure how Rory/Jordan have done at this course in the past but that may factor into it.

Also keep in mind that even though Rory has been struggling with injuries and has played only 9 events on tour he still has 5 top 10s. He was 5 over after 6 holes last week but still finished 4th.