McIlroy & Spieth: Who achieves the grand slam first?

MMB1500

Drive for show. Putt for dough. Spieth.

The top 3 in strokes gained off the tee are

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02567.html

I think the driver is pretty important in today's game. Rory would be up there if he had enough rounds to qualify.

Check out the approach stat "greens or fringe in regulation." Score high marks there and putt well... you win. Spieth is high on both. That means regularly shorter putts for the better putter, as opposed to longer putts for a poorer putter. Spieth.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say Speith even though I think Mcilroy has better game. Mcilroy has been kinda selling out and has been trying to get 100 health.

"best ball Ive played, ever"

Does that mean that Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose and John Rahm all "sold out", as well

Based on Jason Day's ridiculous outfits lately I think we can say unequivocally that he has sold out.

That, I cannot argue with. Well played, Sir.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

http://www.pgatour.c...stat.02567.html

I think the driver is pretty important in today's game. Rory would be up there if he had enough rounds to qualify.

Check out the approach stat "greens or fringe in regulation." Score high marks there and putt well... you win. Spieth is high on both. That means regularly shorter putts for the better putter, as opposed to longer putts for a poorer putter. Spieth.

I didn't see approach shots mentioned in your previous post. I am well aware that Jordan's iron game has been strong. FYI Rory's strokes gained of .834 on approach shots would rank him 3rd (in spite of his injury) if he had enough rounds to qualify for the rankings.

But the "drive for show, putt for dough" saying doesn't hold water. If it did Rory wouldn't have 4 majors. Even at his best Rory's putting wasn't that good.

A few year's ago, McIlroy looked untouchable and like he was at least going to comfortably surpass Nick Faldo's European record of six majors. I now believe that McIlroy will not win another major and have thought so for some time. Sure, he finished T4 today, but he was never even close to winning and his game seems to be regressing rather than improving. He also seems to lack the focus and drive he once had and there have always been questions about his mental strength when the going get tough.

Regressing since the rib injury a month ago, or regressing since he blitzed the Fedex field last Sept ? Just so that we can get a bit of context. I think Jordans game regressed since he blew the Masters. that was him done. End of. I remember GOLFWRX said so....

Well his putting has certainly regressed since his FedEx win. It looked like his work with Phil Kenyon might have set him straight but it's gone to rats recently. Again though, I'm sure this is a green reading and not a stroke issue.

Spieth is one of the worst on tour this year from 4-8 feet. Ranked 160 something

coming into the Open. We saw that, too, in the first 12 holes Sunday as he was

Dufnering those shorties. Even missed a 3 footer. He missed a bunch of short

putts in his win at the Travelers, too.

But with all those missed putts at both he still won!

You know, Rory could block Spieth at the PGA this year and then Spieth could

return the favor and block Rory at Augusta next year. They could get into a battle

just trying to block each other of the career slam, lol.

Well, the PGA is gonna be fun to watch. Maybe Rickie will get his major there!

He's won at Quail Hollow too!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

one of them

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I like Rickie. He's a really great character. I actually followed him for his whole round at the Open on Sunday. Watching a full round adds a different context. I don't believe Ricky ever going to win a major. In these events there is always going to be someone at a higher level or zone on the day than Rickie. Unlike Willets he can't stroll through 32 holes with no one watching, which is a double whammy! Shame really :(

I like Rickie. He's a really great character. I actually followed him for his whole round at the Open on Sunday. Watching a full round adds a different context. I don't believe Ricky ever going to win a major. In these events there is always going to be someone at a higher level or zone on the day than Rickie. Unlike Willets he can't stroll through 32 holes with no one watching, which is a double whammy! Shame really :(

I'm sure Fowler is gonna come good in a major one of these days. He's too good not to. Sergio should provide him with some inspiration on that front.

I'm sure Fowler is gonna come good in a major one of these days. He's too good not to. Sergio should provide him with some inspiration on that front.

I agree. I remember when Rickie was in the final group on Sunday with Rory

at the 2014 Open. He played well and ended tied with Sergio for 2nd.

Rickie has played well in many majors and has won the Players. He has the

game.

The thing about majors is we can all list 20-30 guys that we think will win one

but there are only 4 majors a year. All a player can do is try to get into position

to have a chance on Sunday. Rickie has put himself in the mix several times

in his career. I expect he will continue to get into the mix on Sunday and will

get one and maybe more. It isn't like he's never had a top 10 or anything. He's

had many high finishes, some were back doors and some he was in the mix.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I agree. I remember when Rickie was in the final group on Sunday with Rory

at the 2014 Open. He played well and ended tied with Sergio for 2nd.

Rickie has played well in many majors and has won the Players. He has the

game.

The thing about majors is we can all list 20-30 guys that we think will win one

but there are only 4 majors a year. All a player can do is try to get into position

to have a chance on Sunday. Rickie has put himself in the mix several times

in his career. I expect he will continue to get into the mix on Sunday and will

get one and maybe more. It isn't like he's never had a top 10 or anything. He's

had many high finishes, some were back doors and some he was in the mix.

You're spot on with this Rad. If Fowler keeps getting himself in position, he'll come good at at least one. His major record is very respectable and he's played some good stuff this year. It's just a matter of time for the lad.

In the spirit of the thread, I think that Spieth will win more majors because he is a better grinder and less streaky.

I'm gonna risk getting flamed and put this out there:

Who cares about the "grand slam"?

Given that Spieth is missing the PGA, which is the least significant of the 4 majors, I would argue that he could repeat any of the other championships and it would be a more significant achievement than winning the PGA for the "grand slam". Furthermore, the PGA doesn't have a unique setup to test any particular skill set, so its not like winning it makes him a more complete player some how.

Lets say that Rory finishes his career with 5 majors but never wins the masters and Jordan picks up the grand slam and finishes with 4 total majors. You would consider the 6 major career more impressive right?

Speith for both unless he gets married then all bets are off.

Marriage leads to kids which leads to more important things in life. IMHO, Rory is on his way there already.

Jordan only has a GF. If he keeps golf as #4 (behind God, family and friends, I think that is what I heard in his last interview) he will top Rory in both categories.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

Driving is meaningless. GIRs is the factor.

Look at the top ten in driving distance. Spieth has more majors than all of them combined.

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

Look at the top ten in driving distance. Spieth has more majors than all of them combined.

Clearly, driving distance is not meaningless.

It contributes to GIRs in roughly the same way GIRs contribute to scoring average.

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

It contributes to GIRs in roughly the same way GIRs contribute to scoring average.

Long driving is good, but not a big factor. We have been brainwashed by the TV talking heads who constantly tell us how long certain golfers hit the ball.

The stats tell us that driving distance is a minor factor in scoring. Look at the top ten in driving distance. Only two out of the top ten have won a major. Spieth has won more majors than the entire top ten in driving distance.

Only two of the top ten in driving distance are also in the top 10 in scoring average.

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

Long driving is good, but not a big factor. We have been brainwashed by the TV talking heads who constantly tell us how long certain golfers hit the ball.

The stats tell us that driving distance is a minor factor in scoring. Look at the top ten in driving distance. Only two out of the top ten have won a major. Spieth has won more majors than the entire top ten in driving distance.

Only two of the top ten in driving distance are also in the top 10 in scoring average.

Darn! Those pesky facts keep getting in the way of a good narrative.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

speith, this week.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

DJ

Sergio

Rahm

You might want to read Mark Broadie's work on this.

Spieth will be the favorite at the PGA this year so this topic could be decided soon. I think Spieth gets the slam first but it could be a while before Rory gets a win at ANGC. He just doesn't play enough in the buildup to the Masters and it takes him too long to get in a groove. He goes really low at the Masters on the weekend but the hole he digs is way too big. Being healthy prior to ANGC's four days of white privilege would be a big boost for Rory since using the off season to recover from insert surgical procedure here is what keeps him from playing pre-Masters tournaments.

Really? You felt the need to drop this into your comment?

Jordan will get it period-

Rory??

Yea, right ??

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Spieth will be the favorite at the PGA this year so this topic could be decided soon. I think Spieth gets the slam first but it could be a while before Rory gets a win at ANGC. He just doesn't play enough in the buildup to the Masters and it takes him too long to get in a groove. He goes really low at the Masters on the weekend but the hole he digs is way too big. Being healthy prior to ANGC's four days of white privilege would be a big boost for Rory since using the off season to recover from insert surgical procedure here is what keeps him from playing pre-Masters tournaments.

Really? You felt the need to drop this into your comment?

Couldn't agree more Jon, lol

Ya gotta love the passive lil kommandos??

Thank the Good Lord for the virtual word, huh??

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Jordan will get it period-

Rory??

Yea, right ??

My Best?

RP

Magine if Rory dogs Spieth on Sunday?!

Incredible fight!!!!

THAT is the Greatest HW Fight I've seen in my life time!

Excellent post also?

Stay well Bro?

RP