Whistling, Sand Valley or Chicagoland area

socal33

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played WS and Erin Hills the past 2 months. I preferred EH over WS. Thought it was a better overall golf course. I have heard amazing things about SV. My caddie and playing partner at Erin last week were raving about how great it was. If it were up to me I would do either EH or SV, then WS. All of the Kohler courses are better than anything public in Chicago. Also, if looking for a good deal, the Bull at Pinehurst farms is great, and better value than anything in chicago.

IMO SV is a real haul for a day trip. Kind of limited lodging options as well and - to me - its a long day trip if you aren't staying over.

When I wanted to add SV to my trip next month, I called ahead and asked how crowded they are. There was a group of 72 playing there for two weekdays that we wanted to come in so we passed on the 2.5 or so hour drive each way.

I really wanted to get out there but I'll have to make do with 7 days at WS/EH.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

If you are looking for a day trip, then Sand Valley is too far, imo. You are looking at 5 hours in the car. I don't think Mammoth Dunes preview is an option unless you are lodging on site - unless they have relaxed that requirement. It makes sense to play two rounds there to take advantage of the 1/2 price replay fee and the course is more fun the second time you play it, with a little more knowledge.

Lawsonia is a great course, will cut over 2 1/2 hours of driving time over Sand Valley, is less than half the price (and a better course, imo), but it is still 1:40 from downtown Milwaukee.

I hear good things about Washington County golf course and it's very close to Milwaukee.

brown deer is a good locals course in milwaukee

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Hey guys

I'm headed to Milwaukee and will have a free day. I will have my clubs with me for some work stuff and trying to decide if I go to SV, Whistling or try somewhere in the Chicagoland area. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Milwaukee has Brown Deer Park, a wonderful old public course (former host of a PGA Tour stop). Washington County is really good, too.

If you're thinking of prices in the Whistling Straits or Sand Valley range, you should consider Erin Hills.

Enjoy your trip. I love those trips where you bring your clubs with you for "work stuff." LOL!

whistling straits, there is no reason to play any other course. seriously, it is that good.

i have played erin hills, it is in no way better than whistling.

sand valley is okay, really wasn't too impressed.

Interesting take. I don't disagree about WS being great, definitely top 10 public ive played. But do you really think it is that much better than Erin. I would rather play Erin, but love both, so just wondering what you think is so much better. Being on the lake is massive, and beautiful. I thought the holes got repetitive though, which for me never happened at Erin.

I ended up going to Sand Valley. What a place. I figured I had the whole day and didn't know the next time I would have the opportunity. Whereas with Erin and Whistling I think I can swing in a half day from where I would normally have future meetings.

SV is in its infancy stages of greatness. This place is going to be amazing. The first course, SV, is a great track and has sprawling views of the property. The routing is great and the C&C design fits naturally on the land they have. The bunkers are wonderful, but I luckily only found myself in two fairway bunkers. I think you'll enjoy it more with a knowledgeable caddie. I had Adam and he has been there since day 1, so he knows his stuff well. Greens roll good, but not fast. It is a very playable track and I would love another crack at it. I think the flow of the layout makes for an enjoyable round for all skill levels.

I also got a chance to play the 9 hole preview. It was the first day for 3 additional holes at Mammoth Dunes. Wow! That's going to be the signature course for sure. DMK seems to be hitting a HR here. The massive dune off the right of 1 plays nicely into an opening hole and then hole 2 is an amazing design leaving a tree on the hole the draws your eye toward it and a blowout bunker that seems as big as a lake. Amazing hole. The uphill hole 4 par 3 reminds me of hole 16 of Bandon Dunes uphill that can be trouble for anything short and right. Then that hole is followed up on 5 with a breathtaking view of the full property. Just awesome.

All in all, by next year with both courses fully open and the par 3 course nearly open this place should be a great destination you could easily be entertained for a 3 day trip. Splurge on the caddie as you'll save on the low cost of food and a fair priced round.

I ended up going to Sand Valley. What a place. I figured I had the whole day and didn't know the next time I would have the opportunity. Whereas with Erin and Whistling I think I can swing in a half day from where I would normally have future meetings.

SV is in its infancy stages of greatness. This place is going to be amazing. The first course, SV, is a great track and has sprawling views of the property. The routing is great and the C&C design fits naturally on the land they have. The bunkers are wonderful, but I luckily only found myself in two fairway bunkers. I think you'll enjoy it more with a knowledgeable caddie. I had Adam and he has been there since day 1, so he knows his stuff well. Greens roll good, but not fast. It is a very playable track and I would love another crack at it. I think the flow of the layout makes for an enjoyable round for all skill levels.

I also got a chance to play the 9 hole preview. It was the first day for 3 additional holes at Mammoth Dunes. Wow! That's going to be the signature course for sure. DMK seems to be hitting a HR here. The massive dune off the right of 1 plays nicely into an opening hole and then hole 2 is an amazing design leaving a tree on the hole the draws your eye toward it and a blowout bunker that seems as big as a lake. Amazing hole. The uphill hole 4 par 3 reminds me of hole 16 of Bandon Dunes uphill that can be trouble for anything short and right. Then that hole is followed up on 5 with a breathtaking view of the full property. Just awesome.

All in all, by next year with both courses fully open and the par 3 course nearly open this place should be a great destination you could easily be entertained for a 3 day trip. Splurge on the caddie as you'll save on the low cost of food and a fair priced round.

Also had Adam for both my rounds last fall and he is an excellent caddy. Even with a great caddy, I managed to shave off 4 strokes on my second round just having a little course knowledge in my back pocket. Can't wait to get back out there and see Mammoth Dunes.

• 2 weeks later...

In Aug17 Cigar Aficionado, Sand Valley is called one of top new golf courses.

What is the semi-early group opinion?

In interview with Keiser re: golf architect Kidd, of Crenshaw & Coore, Kidd's SV influence was Keiser taking Kidd to Pine Valley. Although its not a copy, the lines and homage are there.

This gives a good thought to a road trip to play SV. Although its a trip, how far would you travel from?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cigar-Aficionado-August-2017-Maggie-Siff-Jim-Rome-Top-U-S-Golf-Courses-Mercedes-/182654848792

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

I played WS and Erin Hills the past 2 months. I preferred EH over WS. Thought it was a better overall golf course. I have heard amazing things about SV. My caddie and playing partner at Erin last week were raving about how great it was. If it were up to me I would do either EH or SV, then WS. All of the Kohler courses are better than anything public in Chicago. Also, if looking for a good deal, the Bull at Pinehurst farms is great, and better value than anything in chicago.

Played Erin Hills last summer just before it was closed for this years US Open. It was awesome!