Why Do I Even Buy The latest and Greatest?

Richardcabeeza

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great round Richard. Something you will remember for a long time. Very nice.

Reminds me of when Robert Streb [2015, Old White TPC] broke his putter accidentally on the back nine and putted with his 56 degree wedge and made 5 birdies and drained a 26 ft putt with the wedge and shot 32 on the back nine, getting himself into a 4 man playoff. Lost.

I recently purchased some used japan TM burner TP irons, first time out with them i had a poor front nine [45] Not sure what happened but things got going on the back nine. I have been hitting a 910 D2 driver better than the high end shafted Ping G and M1 drivers i had bought at a demo sale.[sold the G and M1] So nice scores can happen when drives find the fairway and iron shots go where you aim them and have some putts drop. Shot a 34 back nine.[par is 34 from the whites] Very happy. So if that can happen to a hack like me -7 is not out of the question for someone with your handicap. Wedge included.

Speaking of older equipment, i was not having great results with the TP wedge on some later practise rounds. I took out a collection of wedges to try out. My new to me Maxfli A10 tour 3-pw wedge was giving me the straightest shots out of the collection i brought.

I took out the burner tp's and the A10's this evening[actually had a bag full of irons ] and was having the best results with 5 6 7 tp's 8 9 pw A10 tours.

I have had a ton of latest and greatest but have been very surprised as of late with the older stuff. Hope it lasts.

I'm not quite clear here. Are you saying that you are making better swings with the old equipment or that you are making basically the same swing but the old equipment is performing better?

Those arn't the same thing. One is you having mental issues and having to play sub-par equipment because of them (in which case, fixing the mental issues is probably better). The other is you finding equipment that actually *is* better, in which case you should stick with it.

The second (the swing is the same but the result is better) is absolutely sustainable. The first (making better swings because of some mental hangup with the new stuff) is not sustainable for more than a few weeks.

That said, it is also possible you just know the old stuff better (my 8 goes 143.45 not about 145, etc...) in which case its up to you to decide if its worth figuring out the new stuff yardages exactly. I hit my Razr X MBs OK, but I'm still funny on the distances. My old Adams Idea are better in my bag because I know them better. But my swing isn't better - the ball is still flying straight and high, just missing long and short. Long and short misses on clean contact are ignorance of yardage, not some flaw in the new clubs.

That said, I play a 12* driver and old-a** irons so do whatever works!

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I'm not quite clear here. Are you saying that you are making better swings with the old equipment or that you are making basically the same swing but the old equipment is performing better?

Those arn't the same thing. One is you having mental issues and having to play sub-par equipment because of them (in which case, fixing the mental issues is probably better). The other is you finding equipment that actually *is* better, in which case you should stick with it.

The second (the swing is the same but the result is better) is absolutely sustainable. The first (making better swings because of some mental hangup with the new stuff) is not sustainable for more than a few weeks.

That said, it is also possible you just know the old stuff better (my 8 goes 143.45 not about 145, etc...) in which case its up to you to decide if its worth figuring out the new stuff yardages exactly. I hit my Razr X MBs OK, but I'm still funny on the distances. My old Adams Idea are better in my bag because I know them better. But my swing isn't better - the ball is still flying straight and high, just missing long and short. Long and short misses on clean contact are ignorance of yardage, not some flaw in the new clubs.

I think he already answered that, like in his thread title. Dude likes old clubs. Sheesh.

I think he already answered that, like in his thread title. Dude likes old clubs. Sheesh.

This isn't a blog, its a forum. He started a thread and I was curious. We had nice exchange earlier in the thread and I wanted it to continue. Its really odd when people post soley to throw cold water on the discussion.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

OP nice round. I can confirm, at least I've experienced something like this recently. I now have two sets of clubs, I know a drop in the bucket for most here, but I consciously did this a few years back to thin my life of excess and to work on learning and knowing one set of clubs.

I went and bought the latest and greatest current set of irons, woods, wedges, and putter to continue playing to a high level as I was in the past. It has worked but at times I have felt that the newer clubs that I chose were just not giving me the feeling that I felt with older sets that I've played with in the past. So recently I went searching and found a very nice set of Mizuno mp-60's and I paired these with an older Titleist 910 driver, a Sonartech 3 wood, some older cleveland tour action 588 wedges and my old ping anser 4 putter.

For some reason I feel these clubs really give me that feedback that I was missing from my newer tech. It's mostly psychological I know but just being able to go out and not care, because they're older and used, I relaxed and fired a decent round. Not what the OP shot but a few strokes better than normal for me. I know it always the Indian and not his tools but sometimes the psychological uplift that something gives you on the course will be the difference. Now like the OP only time will tell and I may do like he is pondering and get rid of my newer tech stuff and just keep the old, plus it's nice not having to spend well over $2k on newer clubs when some can play great with nicely used stuff for a fraction.

Great Post.

i use a wedge to putt all the time, and with success...not the best putter and for some reason a wedge feels comfy....i shot 71 other day using a wedge as putter for quite a few holes....i can totally see it happening but i guess to someone who cant fathom using one it may seem odd....

... I think it is important member that most equipment is designed for everything going on at that time. The ball was different when the 975D was released. Shafts were different. With todays lower spinning ball off the tee and shafts designed to launch high with low spin, drivers are designed to take advantage of those attributes and moved weight and changed materials as well as fine tuned cg's to compliment the new shafts and balls. Older drivers may perform very well, but a modern driver fit to that golfers swing using a current shaft and ball will always have a performance improvement. How much is the question and it is different for everyone.

Stop_Making_Sense_-_Talking_Heads.jpg

People don't need the latest and greatest to shoot low scores, they need a swing. Gofers have been shooting under par for decades without an M2 driver, $3000 irons and a $500 Cameron putter.

They shot in the 60's way way back in the 1960's!!

I dont know why people cant grasp this very fact....think mostly people are using latest and greatest to find a game....or fix current one.....i have been guilty and sometimes it does work for a minute but what it did was change my mental state short term....inevitably it goes back to normal......make good swing it doesnt matter what is on the end

OP nice round. I can confirm, at least I've experienced something like this recently. I now have two sets of clubs, I know a drop in the bucket for most here, but I consciously did this a few years back to thin my life of excess and to work on learning and knowing one set of clubs.

I went and bought the latest and greatest current set of irons, woods, wedges, and putter to continue playing to a high level as I was in the past. It has worked but at times I have felt that the newer clubs that I chose were just not giving me the feeling that I felt with older sets that I've played with in the past. So recently I went searching and found a very nice set of Mizuno mp-60's and I paired these with an older Titleist 910 driver, a Sonartech 3 wood, some older cleveland tour action 588 wedges and my old ping anser 4 putter.

For some reason I feel these clubs really give me that feedback that I was missing from my newer tech. It's mostly psychological I know but just being able to go out and not care, because they're older and used, I relaxed and fired a decent round. Not what the OP shot but a few strokes better than normal for me. I know it always the Indian and not his tools but sometimes the psychological uplift that something gives you on the course will be the difference. Now like the OP only time will tell and I may do like he is pondering and get rid of my newer tech stuff and just keep the old, plus it's nice not having to spend well over $2k on newer clubs when some can play great with nicely used stuff for a fraction.

Great Post.

i use a wedge to putt all the time, and with success...not the best putter and for some reason a wedge feels comfy....i shot 71 other day using a wedge as putter for quite a few holes....i can totally see it happening but i guess to someone who cant fathom using one it may seem odd....

Try getting a plumber's neck putter and have it bent to match your wedge's forward press. I was pretty good with the belly of a sand wedge and had an Edel made with the grip forward so that when the putter face sits dead square the shaft points at my left hip (like a wedge). You can buy a cheap plumbers neck at diamondtour.com for like $15 to try it. If you are comfortable putting with a wedge more than a putter its a good chance you feel square as full-swing square i.e. significant shaft lean. This is exacerbated by the fact that your a low single digit and probably create shaft lean subconsiously. This is basically the putter I play (its forward angle matches my highest lofted wedge when it sits square. its also the same length and head weight and I use the same grip material.

This gives an added advantage that you can use your full swing routine and stance for putts. As Guerin Rife says, the biggest problem with amateur's putting is that they forget its an athletic golf shot.

Might be worth a shot.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Recently got this setup during a late night binge on Callaway pre-owned website (and many others, but this was what went with me tonight). Anyways I take this "new" setup to the range and am immediately hitting better then I have all season. I finish my bucket and decided that hitting a bucket wasn't nearly enough for me so I grabbed a cart and started playing. I also had a "new" Cleveland 48* wedge and that was the only clubs I had with me. Putter? Phishaw. Who needs one? I proceed to play the best 18 hole round of my life. I KILLED every drive. I was playing from areas I've never seen, with 15-25 year old tech. I missed two fairways, and even then I was in the first cut and easily playable. I missed two greens too, and even then only at the end when I got too greedy. I putted with my 3 wood from outside 20 feet and my 48* from inside 20. I shot a PR 7 under 65 (albeit on a course that was only 6300 yards with a rating of 69.4 so I've played slightly better once or twice based on score relative to rating.

I bought the latest and greatest driver early this year, one that I was fitted to and everything. I probably only average 5 fairways a round with it and rarely hit one that I feel was well struck. Swinging that old 975d, I murdered the ball. I started a little tentative since it's downright tiny compared to what I'm used to looking at. By hole four I was swinging out of my shoes and just drilling it. Iron shots were towering and going exactly pin high (I just plugged in my current irons yardages and subtracted ten yards since these are weaker lofted).

I know one round isn't a large sample size but I felt so much better standing over shots that it was amazing. I also par'd my nemesis hole, it's a brutal 488 yard par four that plays into the wind. I've played it probably 30 times this year and this is my first par. It plays harder than all four par 5's on this course. Tonight it was just a ho hum drive, mid iron, 3w first putt, and tap in with wedge par. Yawn.

I'm seriously considering ditching my modern gear and just playing this setup (yes I'll add a putter). I haven't felt that confident standing over a tee ball in years. Just knowing that I could swing mightily and see it fly into the distance. Straight. Far. Have we gotten too far from basics that we have hit paralysis by analysis? I personally may have. I didn't even need a driver wrench today.

If nothing else, I got my money's worth in one round. I may never have a better round relative to par.

Year 2000 Tiger used the 975D and I believe David Duval used the 962 irons to shoot his 59. ;)

Great clubs and they bring back memories when I used to play them.

The main reason I bought this Driver is a pretty good story. In 2001 (I think) I was at the memorial. On hole 6 or so we were in the left rough when John Daly hit his driver over our heads and into the tree line. A group of 6-8 of us surrounded his ball to mark it for him. He came sauntering up as only John Daly does, gets to his ball with driver still in hand, and proceeds to hand his driver to the guy just to the right of me and tells him "here you go". The guy looks confused and JD tells him, "it's yours, I don't want it anymore" the guy on the other side of him immediately offered him $500.00 on the spot for it and he said "no way, not for sale!" What make and model of driver was it? Titliest 975D with a 6.5* head. I believe (but can't state for certain all these years later) that his driver had a steel shaft in it. So when I saw one for 10 bucks, I had to take the plunge. After my first round with it, I can honestly say that I hit it better then JD did (that day) albeit I'm sure it wasn't as far. He finished the round hitting 3w or iron off the tee and ended up missing the cut (go figure) by a few. One of the cooler moments I've been a part of at a golf tournament. I know I'll never forget it.

I know I've heard that story somewhere before. Pretty cool that both of you were there that day, and that the guy that was handed the driver was right in between you two.

Funny story. Early 2000's, want to say 2002 my dad and I went to The Memorial in Dublin OH. We we're in the process of walking the course when somewhere around hole 7-8 John Daly was playing. We hear "FORE Left!!!" And duck our head as that's where we were. A ball goes whizzing by our heads and comes to rest in the left rough/tree line. A group of about 8 people gather round it and in a few minutes up comes John Daly. He sees us, sees where his ball is, and since he's still carrying his driver he hands it to the guy standing immediately to my left and says "here you go". The guy, dumbfounded asks "I can have it?" And John says "it's all yours. I don't want it". Lol. One of the other guys in the group immediately offers the guy that had his driver $500.00 for it to which he politely but firmly declined. He did let me take a peak at it, it was a Titleist with 5.5 degrees of loft (iirc).

Daly played out the rest of the round hitting his FW off the tee (not any better than his driver as he shot somewhere around 80 and missed the cut). I've always had a soft spot in my heart for him and his struggles. A normal guy with normal problems that due to incredible flexibility was able to do extraordinary things.

This isn't a blog, its a forum. He started a thread and I was curious. We had nice exchange earlier in the thread and I wanted it to continue. Its really odd when people post soley to throw cold water on the discussion.

Sorry for the delay, went from old equipment to stocking up on golf balls and forgot about here, ha.

I'm not sure. I now have played three rounds and my aggregate score is minus 8. Two of the three rounds are on a course that's rating is 3 shots less than par (66.9 to par 70) so it's not like that is the same as shooting three rounds to a -8 at Oakmont. I've had possibly the weirdest year I've ever had golfing so far. There's always something not working right (driver, irons, wedge, or putter) but I've scored really well because one part of my game has been lights out. Yesterday for example might spell the end of the "John Daly" driver as my kids call it ( I posted somewhere here that this is the exact driver that he handed to someone in the gallery at a tournament I was at 18 years ago, he wasn't hitting it well that day and gifted it to a spectator, lol!). I flat out shanked a couple and just never felt good over the ball. On this short course yesterday, hole one is a 278 yard par 4 (name only) and I was sitting 180 out after my drive. Yup. Sub 100 yard drive. WI hit a beautiful mid iron to 10 feet, make the birdie and move on. Same thing happened on three, 350 yard par 4. Duffed it and had 170. Missed the bird but made par. On four I hit it wonderfully and had a short iron in on this par 5 (again in name only, its only 465) made eagle and I'm sitting three under through four and flat out almost missed the ball on the tee twice.

I came back to earth on 5 and 6 where I made round saving long putts to save bogey on each. Anyways ended up 2 under on the round with 5 pars. Weird round, but typical of this year. I imagine that this is how Spieth feels. Wacks it all over and scores like a madman.

So am I swinging it better with the old clubs? I like them, that's for sure. I can't say that I'm swinging them better other than the 7 under round. I do know that the only reason I'm playing them is I've gamed a modern driver the past two season prior to this. I was fitted for it and everything should be copacetic. I've always been a high fade guy on the tee. Rarely hit a draw. I've got that sucker cranked to max fade and I've been battling a snap hook with it. When I do hit it dead nuts, my lord! It just goes for days. I've just hit one too many shots that go up ten feet, go out 150 yards, then takes a direct left turn. I didn't think I'd ever have to worry about that. I've always played a high fade. I can hit a draw or hook if I want to, but it's not my natural swing. Now with purposely trying to hit a fade I'm rocking a snap hook a few times a round. I'm not even sure why on those shots either. Everything will feel good but the ball flight will tell me "terrible!!"

Your guess is as good as mine in whether I feel they're better. Right now I'm loving them. I go and post an 80 and they'll get sent to the corner with all the rest of them. Im sure it's more a mental thing than an actual swing thing, although my modern driver continues to befuddle me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A couple times a round with it I stand back in amazement at the ball, sailing farther than I've ever hit it (I'm 38 but have hit the longest drives of my life in the last 12 months). A couple times I'm left wondering WTH just happened when it takes a left turn and wacks a tree in the left rough 150 out. I almost think something is wrong with it. It "clicks" on my downswing sometimes. I test it and everything is solid but makes a weird noise. Maybe it's my 196 MPH swing speed (lol and maybe Mr Sadlowski can let me know??! :) )

Bottom line is I'm scoring as well as I've ever done. I have bad shots but I've been saving my bacon for the most part by hitting a great recovery. Like I stated it's been a weird year. If I had to put one thing down that's really helped this year it's been that I've went from a generally bad putter to someone that's had excellent distance control all year. I doubt I've 3 putted 10 times in about 40 rounds. I've made some but where I've earned my keep is I'm just not three putting hardly at all. I looked up my putting stats for the year and I'm averaging 1.6 putts per hole. My kids now chant "old man golf, old man golf" when I get around the green. I've chipped well and putted like a champ. In the past I've been a three putt machine at times. Now, except in extreme ranges, I've pretty much counted on having a tap in second putt. This is certainly the key in dropping my GHIN below my all time best.

Last word, no measuring contests on my thread, ha. I appreciate all the feedback and there's no need for anyone to get snippy. If one doesn't like what someone else has written, don't read it. If one is trying to defend my honor, I appreciate it but it's not needed. Look at me, I'm being the voice of reason. Ha! Don't happen much. First time for everything.

Lol at those looking at connections that couldn't possibly be there. Maybe I was in that group? Probably was the way it looks. How many times could that happen. That''s really weird and not the first time someone has stated that. I'll let my posts here stand up for what they are.

I was on the the left of the guy with the driver. He said he was on the right. I lived around there at the time but now live nowhere close. Small world sometimes. I ran into a guy I went to high school with in Mrytle Beach. He was playing guitar in a band that was playing there. At the time this was 800 miles from my home and where we both grew up at.

I guess I have a spirit animal here on WRX. Weird.

Same can be said about guys who buy fast cars and never take them over 100 mph. You can have all the latest technology but you have to have some sort of concept on how to get the most out of them.

You're talking about wives, aren't you?

Not mine sir. She hasn't hit 50 mph in 20 years. Ha. That and I get yelled at every time I even touch the breaks. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to refuse to even drive anywhere. It's stressful.

Lol at those looking at connections that couldn't possibly be there. Maybe I was in that group? Probably was the way it looks. How many times could that happen. That''s really weird and not the first time someone has stated that. I'll let my posts here stand up for what they are.

I was on the the left of the guy with the driver. He said he was on the right. I lived around there at the time but now live nowhere close. Small world sometimes. I ran into a guy I went to high school with in Mrytle Beach. He was playing guitar in a band that was playing there. At the time this was 800 miles from my home and where we both grew up at.

Connections? No. The only connection I see is that you were both there at the same time and were standing pretty close to each other. A cool coincidence. I think it's a funny story, which is why I remembered it. I think it's great you're playing so well this year and hope you keep it up.

Connections? No. The only connection I see is that you were both there at the same time and were standing pretty close to each other. A cool coincidence. I think it's a funny story, which is why I remembered it. I think it's great you're playing so well this year and hope you keep it up.

Thanks (x2), ha. I bet he was the guy that offered 500 bucks for the driver, lol! Crazy talk, being in the circle of another as john daly gives away his driver at the memorial. Daly is one Cooke guy. I'd love to play anround with him.

... Older drivers may perform very well, but a modern driver fit to that golfers swing using a current shaft and ball will always have a performance improvement.

No, it won’t.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

... Older drivers may perform very well, but a modern driver fit to that golfers swing using a current shaft and ball will always have a performance improvement.

No, it won’t.

... Of course it will. That does not mean it will perform better for any given individual and the performance increase may be minimal, but it will always be there. The G400 will have a performance increase over the G30. The M2 2017 has a performance increase over the 2016 M2. It might be a 100 rpm reduction in spin or a gain of 1.1 yds of total distance and again, any given golfer may actually see a performance decrease due to their personal swings. While the F6 had a performance increase over the Fly Z, I hit the Z better because I had complete confidence in it and preferred the sound and look at address. But OEM's do not spend money on R&D using a robot to produce a technically inferior performing driver. There is always an increase in performance however minuscule.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

The inherit flaw in your logic is that every model of a driver has some improvement or that shafts are markedly improved than the hot shaft 3 years ago. There are plenty of people, myself included, that have better numbers and performance (since golf isn't played on a simulator) with drivers several generations old.

You can't make blanket "always" statements.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

The inherit flaw in your logic is that every model of a driver has some improvement or that shafts are markedly improved than the hot shaft 3 years ago. There are plenty of people, myself included, that have better numbers and performance (since golf isn't played on a simulator) with drivers several generations old.

You can't make blanket "always" statements.

... Since you are not reading and comprehending I will only respond this one time. I never said nor do I think every new driver will be better performing for every golfer. Far from it as I clearly stated any individual may not see an increase in performance with a new driver and some may actually find a decrease in performance. This does not negate that fact that technically a new drivers performance increase is always there. And I never said every new shaft is a performance increase as I do not believe that they do. Shafts are very different than drivers that must appeal to a wide range of players because they can apply to a very limited range of players.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I'll second that tech of today is better than yesteryears. It just flat out is. I've hit my latest and greatest further than I've ever hit another driver. If I dead nut one with it or the 975d I know which one is going further and it's not a question. What I would counter as an argument is that if one feels better and more confident with the old stuff, it's not that far removed (I wasn't talking a steel shaft/wood head) that one might just play better with it. When I'm sitting over a ball with a HUGE driver head, maybe I don't mentally focus as much since I know that if I miss DFC by a quarter inch it might cost me 20 yards but will still be in play. When I'm playing the old stuff I have no such illusion. Missing that much might mean 50 yards and OOB (were not talking one generation removal, were talking 20 years and around 2x the CC's). I don't know what the for sure reason is but I do know that I seem to be more consistent overall with them. For sure dispersion wise and while I'll grant that they might be 10-20 yards behind the latest and greatest on a dead nuts hit, I probably average about the same distance.

For whatever reason I'm more confortable with the smaller driver heads, if absolutely nothing else. Maybe a OEM needs to make a modern driver in the 250-300cc range with today's tech? Thin shallow face like a 3w? Scaled down version of a 460cc driver? I'm surprised the good strikers on tour don't demand something along those lines instead of swinging a whale on a stick. I'd certainly try them. I've had big driver heads that I've felt I could control, but never one I felt I could work. At best I'll aim down the FW and hope to hit it either straight, or with a gentle draw or fade. With a smaller clubhead I find I can shape the ball better. About 80% of the time I can hit a draw or a fade on command with the little ones, one of the main reasons I was hitting so many 3w off the tee until the past couple rounds. I've also yet to hit a snap hook with one. I've never hit one in my life until this year. My latest and greatest can hit one for some reason. Even with everything set to full fade configuration (and I've always been a high fade player). This entire snap hook puzzle has me confounded. Normally when I hit a bad shot I instantly know what I did wrong. When I snap one far left I just don't know what was wrong. I start trying to track it and see I've hit a low one, then it turns dead left 150 out or so. Everything feels good on them they just go left. The old stuff doesn't do that for me. Until this year the very few true hooks I've ever hit have been intentional, usually a long iron from a flier lie in the left rough trying to bend it around trees (easiest hook to hit IMO). ??? Confused. That I most certainly am.

Maybe a OEM needs to make a modern driver in the 250-300cc range with today's tech? Thin shallow face like a 3w? Scaled down version of a 460cc driver? I'm surprised the good strikers on tour don't demand something along those lines instead of swinging a whale on a stick.

About 80% of the time I can hit a draw or a fade on command with the little ones, one of the main reasons I was hitting so many 3w off the tee until the past couple rounds.

Confused. That I most certainly am.

They did make those. They are called mini drivers. Some people liked them. Most hit them horribly.

You are making a classic golfer mistake - you are listening to your brain. Comfort is irrelevant. A 460cc head has a bigger sweet spot and it's more forgiving. Pros don't play 300cc drivers because they are worse than 440+cc drivers. You can say how comfortable you are all day but if we did a test with you with 150 balls off a 440 and 150 balls off a 250cc the 440 would destroy it.

You are a romantic. You want to do better with old equipment. The problem is that it isn't better. It is, at best, the same.

It is very unlikely you can draw or fade on command 80% of the time with a full length driver with a 300cc head. Where did that number come from?

You seem like a good dude. That said, Golf is hard enough without creating a narrative about how you do better with worse equipment. It's not confusing, really. Get a 430-460cc,

Modern driver, and pound it.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

People don't need the latest and greatest to shoot low scores, they need a swing. Gofers have been shooting under par for decades without an M2 driver, $3000 irons and a $500 Cameron putter.

They shot in the 60's way way back in the 1960's!!

could not agree more 596

if you do not have a good consistent repeatable swing it does not matter if your equipment cost $10 or $10,000 the results will be the same.