Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

To anyone playing the set I do suggest buying the AW unless you like having a bladed wedge around the greens. A friend of mine who has a 50 degree milled grind wedge put it against my AW. I saw a 5-10 yard difference with the P790 50 degree opposed to the milled grind. You could almost play a 50 790 along with a 52 then 56 and still have a good gap.

I thought about picking up a 52 to go between my P790 AW and my MG 54.

I love my p790's. But I have to admit, I am slightly upset with my purchase, with the newly released p790 black. They are so gorgeous, remind me of European sports car.

Highly recommend these to anyone in the 12-5 hdcp range. Just make sure, you get fitted for the proper shafts(as should be the case with all clubs...) I believe this is the main culprit of the commonly shared "distance control" issue on this thread, imo. My misses are usually within 5/7 yards of my pure shots. But I also have a very smooth consistent swing, I hardly try to "go after" anything.

I love my p790's. But I have to admit, I am slightly upset with my purchase, with the newly released p790 black. They are so gorgeous, remind me of European sports car.

Highly recommend these to anyone in the 12-5 hdcp range. Just make sure, you get fitted for the proper shafts(as should be the case with all clubs...) I believe this is the main culprit of the commonly shared "distance control" issue on this thread, imo. My misses are usually within 5/7 yards of my pure shots. But I also have a very smooth consistent swing, I hardly try to "go after" anything.

They may be gorgeous when they arrive but trust me, after a while the black will look like crap especially if your range is using sandy balls. TM went the mid road with the black finish, it looks good but it is not durable - at least not compared to the Diamond Black material used in the Cobra and even the Maltby irons. For the up charge premium, they should have gone the DBM route. C'mon is Maltby can do it, surely an even bigger OEM like TM can do much, much, much better especially with a $500 up charge.

So, stick with the chrome, this black P790 is definitely not "grass is greener"...jus sayin

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

New member to the P790 club here :). Picked up a set off another member and just had my usual grips put on them yesterday. No range or course time with them yet, but I intend to make one or both happen this weekend! I'm coming from an MP-18 Fli-Hi/SC combo set so I'm interested to see the difference in distance. They look amazing at setup, and I'm really excited about putting them in play!

:ping-small: G430 Max 9º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:mizuno-small: Pro 243 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

They may be gorgeous when they arrive but trust me, after a while the black will look like crap especially if your range is using sandy balls. TM went the mid road with the black finish, it looks good but it is not durable - at least not compared to the Diamond Black material used in the Cobra and even the Maltby irons. For the up charge premium, they should have gone the DBM route. C'mon is Maltby can do it, surely an even bigger OEM like TM can do much, much, much better especially with a $500 up charge.

So, stick with the chrome, this black P790 is definitely not "grass is greener"...jus sayin

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely hold off until I see a set in person.

My set order is placed! Thanks to all the posts in this thread and to all the PM's that you guys helped me with! Cant wait

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Didn’t think you hear were that long after hitting them in the bay, or at least for me That was until I got them yesterday. Went in with my 7i Maltby PTM and hit it against the DG105 Shaft that was quite a bit longer than my Xcaliber shafts. I was averaging 163 with my 7i and 176 with the P709. That is really long for me, as I normally play my 7i as a 155 club in course. They felt really good and were as consistent as my PTM. of course, they didn’t have the i500 in store there yet.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Every round with the P790’s just seems to get better & better. Lowest round of the season today even with a bad putting day. Have been working with Club Champion who fitted me for these, and after some additional tweaking of lofts and lies, the distance control and accuracy have finally gotten to where I had hoped they would be. Had eleven birdie putts inside of 15 feet but only made two of them. Now to get the new driver dialed in as it’s only in the short grass about 50% of the time.

For those on the fence of trying these, get properly fit and you should love them.

Every round with the P790’s just seems to get better & better. Lowest round of the season today even with a bad putting day. Have been working with Club Champion who fitted me for these, and after some additional tweaking of lofts and lies, the distance control and accuracy have finally gotten to where I had hoped they would be. Had eleven birdie putts inside of 15 feet but only made two of them. Now to get the new driver dialed in as it’s only in the short grass about 50% of the time.

For those on the fence of trying these, get properly fit and you should love them.

Sounds like the next step should focus on your putter...

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

There is always a next step it seems... lol

There is always a next step it seems... lol

Always....why we love this terrible conquest

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I just noticed that my 3-PW set all have serial numbers but none match. All of the serial numbers start with 7 and end with 6. I am not concerned, but just curious if the rest of you have different numbers for each club.

PXG Gen6 0311 9.0 with Aldila Rogue MSI125 stiff

PXG 0211 3 and 5 woods

PXG 0317CB with Project X LZ 6.0

Bettinardi Queen Bee B11

I just noticed that my 3-PW set all have serial numbers but none match. All of the serial numbers start with 7 and end with 6. I am not concerned, but just curious if the rest of you have different numbers for each club.

All of mine are different. Ordered from TM via Club Champion.

First num 8, last num 6, everything in between different. 4i has a P after the 6 but none of the others do. *shoulder shrug*

Actually it’s green reading that needs the work. Joined a new club about 4 months ago and still trying to figure out the subtle breaks. Our greens are very quick so it’s difficult to be aggressive on anything inside of 12’. Today was just one of those days that I was off by an inch or two for the amount of break. It’s a fickle game for sure.

So none of you guys have hot spots with the 790s? No flyers? OK we know we hit the 7 iron with the P790 much longer as it’s a 6 loftwise just with a shorter shaft. Its kind of gripping the 6 shorter on your old clubs. So not falling from the chair on how far it goes. Its just my old clubs +1 iron for the same lie. I like the looks of the club at address and in the bag but I don´t really like the click sound. Sounds cheap to me. The feel at impact is OK but not great. The only feedback I get is if its hit too low on the clubface, everything else feels the same. My only problem is really, if I sweetspot the shot, it can rocket. Would I buy a club that goes 15-20 yards right or left if I hit it perfectly on the face? For sure not. But 15-20 yards too long is OK? I don't think so. It may not matter from the tee on par 4 and 5 most of the time but it does on par 3 and for the shot into the green. I feel jerked about the lofts that will fool many people when trying these clubs. I also have learned my lesson about SGI clubs, The hotspots and the zero feedback that fools me into hitting the club well every time, which is only the case if it flies over the green, push me towards simple cavity backs or even blades. Yeah that’s what I will do I will get some 730s or MP-18s.

Yet to hit one of these "hot spots".

yes some flyers out of the rough but that happens with most irons from those lies.

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

TW with the black UDI 2 iron?

Appeared to be a tensei pro orange. Didn’t know they made hybrid shafts

TW with the black UDI 2 iron?

Appeared to be a tensei pro orange. Didn’t know they made hybrid shafts

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Played again this morning and mine are becoming point and shoot. I guess at an 8 hdcp I’m just not good enough to hit the hot spot, if there is one, more than once or twice out of ten times. I have a pretty steep angle of attack but if you’re a sweeper and happen to catch once on the upswing off a tee, you would probably drop the spin by a couple thousand RPM and get an extra 10 yards but I’ve not experienced that. A did catch a PW pretty flush today that went an extra 4-5 yards, but even then it was 130 carry and stopped right next to the divot. I usually plan on 123-126 so I can live with 130 every once in a while. If you’re good enough to play blades, I figure you’re good enough that the so called hot spot shots should be the norm and not the exception and would be grateful that your miss still landed on the green.

After getting fit on Trackman with these, the fitter was puzzled. Typically hit my AP2 7 iron 165. Expected to hit these 170-175ish. Sometimes would but sometimes they would go 195. Fitter thought I was crazy until I flew 2 in a row over 190. Lofts were all correct so not much else i can try with them. Could have weakened them a couple degrees but then I would hit them anywhere from 165-185. Really wanted to like these, but I guess I’m on the hunt for irons again. They were pretty much all over the place. 4 iron was 220, 5 was 220, 6 was 190, 7 was 190, 8 was 165, 9 was 150, PW was 140, AW was 125. I don’t know what to even do to them now. Not sure if you call them hot spots or just plain inconsistent.

After getting fit on Trackman with these, the fitter was puzzled. Typically hit my AP2 7 iron 165. Expected to hit these 170-175ish. Sometimes would but sometimes they would go 195. Fitter thought I was crazy until I flew 2 in a row over 190. Lofts were all correct so not much else i can try with them. Could have weakened them a couple degrees but then I would hit them anywhere from 165-185. Really wanted to like these, but I guess I'm on the hunt for irons again. They were pretty much all over the place. 4 iron was 220, 5 was 220, 6 was 190, 7 was 190, 8 was 165, 9 was 150, PW was 140, AW was 125. I don't know what to even do to them now. Not sure if you call them hot spots or just plain inconsistent.

Its just not possible to play good golf with this type of performance. As I said before, Ill wait until all the OEM's work out the kinks. Surely Ping will nail it, especially given they aren't putting slots on the bottom of the i500's.

After getting fit on Trackman with these, the fitter was puzzled. Typically hit my AP2 7 iron 165. Expected to hit these 170-175ish. Sometimes would but sometimes they would go 195. Fitter thought I was crazy until I flew 2 in a row over 190. Lofts were all correct so not much else i can try with them. Could have weakened them a couple degrees but then I would hit them anywhere from 165-185. Really wanted to like these, but I guess I’m on the hunt for irons again. They were pretty much all over the place. 4 iron was 220, 5 was 220, 6 was 190, 7 was 190, 8 was 165, 9 was 150, PW was 140, AW was 125. I don’t know what to even do to them now. Not sure if you call them hot spots or just plain inconsistent.

I was fitted for mine and saw the same thing on the course. Easlily the most inconsistent irons I've ever hit. Pretty cool looking and the feel was ok, but I just couldn't believe how all,over the place these were.

Dumped them for i200.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Im not doubting you but I have never had a problem with inconsistent yardages. My only inconsistencies are that they are longer and fly higher than my CF 16's were but they are every bit as easy to hit with better feel. Im almost tempted into getting their 2 iron especially the new black one but I'm hitting my 4 iron 210 easily off the Tee or fairway when needed as Im pleased with that being that I'm in my 60's.

Not all clubs will fit the same person but these P790's sure do fit me nicely. I just have to remember to use 1 less club than what I was using before and maybe its my swing as I don't need to get aggressive with these just consistent swing as this allow me to stay within the yardage Im after. I swing the same with my PW as I would say my 5 iron. Now hitting out of the rough of course there will be a flier at times as thats with any iron. Whenever hitting off the short grass I can count on them giving me a birdie opportunity.

I know being fitted on a trackman is great but then go out and actually play them on one of your favorite courses afterwards says a lot so maybe it could have been the shaft or a number of other things. Being fitted and seeing inconsistent yardages only tells me you you may not have been properly fitted...just saying. The PING i200 are pretty sweet clubs as I could see myself playing them as they remind me so much of the s55s that I loved but the longer irons were not as forgiving. For too many years I have played their irons and wanted to go for a completely different look and feel. I have no regret going from my CF16s to these. They were a bit pricy but everything is now a days. Hope you enjoy your i200 as much as Im enjoying my TM 790's.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

After getting fit on Trackman with these, the fitter was puzzled. Typically hit my AP2 7 iron 165. Expected to hit these 170-175ish. Sometimes would but sometimes they would go 195. Fitter thought I was crazy until I flew 2 in a row over 190. Lofts were all correct so not much else i can try with them. Could have weakened them a couple degrees but then I would hit them anywhere from 165-185. Really wanted to like these, but I guess I'm on the hunt for irons again. They were pretty much all over the place. 4 iron was 220, 5 was 220, 6 was 190, 7 was 190, 8 was 165, 9 was 150, PW was 140, AW was 125. I don't know what to even do to them now. Not sure if you call them hot spots or just plain inconsistent.

Its just not possible to play good golf with this type of performance. As I said before, Ill wait until all the OEM's work out the kinks. Surely Ping will nail it, especially given they aren't putting slots on the bottom of the i500's.

I seriously doubt that its because of the slots has nothing to do with you being so inconsistent with them. Some people like PINGs more than anything else out there as I was one of them for the longest time except for that funky design/gouge in the neck. Notice nothing was said about the end screw that TM has as so does the i500 have one as I think TM and PING both nailed it, Different stroke for different folks.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I really wanted to like these and had several fittings with them but I just hit the JPX 900 forged better. They are nice clubs but my dispersion and numbers w/ the Mizuno's were better and the price certainly helped.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

I am happy I am not crazy and others have inconsistencies too that go into the plus yardage. The last few 9 holes the club performed normally but my swing is off slightly at the moment and I hit them low on the face from the tee also. Subconsciously I almost fear hitting them well again and also do not ry to hit them well which is counter productive. Also sometimes I like to hit a club more and turn the power down, I don't do that with these clubs. A club more plus a flyer, better not. So they may be great until you don't find the sweetspot which is not easy btw, in my opinion only a small fraction of golfers find the middle of the clubface even at low handicap some like me only from the tee. If you find it only sometimes and don't realise why the ball flew a mile "hey the clubs are sooo great look - wow" it may be OK too. The moment you get what happens and you start to hit more face centers the club will make things worse. You play better but you will pitch and chip more which is crazy.

My fitter is so kind to take them back, I would ebay them if not. Funny thing is also I would not have taken them, if they would have looked spaceship like other SGI clubs. The great look of the club is deceiving.

So not trying to be a party killer but if you get more than one flyer other than the known flyers from the rough its time to get rid of these clubs.

So none of you guys have hot spots with the 790s? No flyers? OK we know we hit the 7 iron with the P790 much longer as it’s a 6 loftwise just with a shorter shaft. Its kind of gripping the 6 shorter on your old clubs. So not falling from the chair on how far it goes. Its just my old clubs +1 iron for the same lie. I like the looks of the club at address and in the bag but I don´t really like the click sound. Sounds cheap to me. The feel at impact is OK but not great. The only feedback I get is if its hit too low on the clubface, everything else feels the same. My only problem is really, if I sweetspot the shot, it can rocket. Would I buy a club that goes 15-20 yards right or left if I hit it perfectly on the face? For sure not. But 15-20 yards too long is OK? I don't think so. It may not matter from the tee on par 4 and 5 most of the time but it does on par 3 and for the shot into the green. I feel jerked about the lofts that will fool many people when trying these clubs. I also have learned my lesson about SGI clubs, The hotspots and the zero feedback that fools me into hitting the club well every time, which is only the case if it flies over the green, push me towards simple cavity backs or even blades. Yeah that’s what I will do I will get some 730s or MP-18s.

The sweet spot is hot. The rest of the face is less hot. I’ve played a few rounds and if I stripe it it’s not going to go 20 yards long, it’ll be maybe 10 yards long but you gotta figure out your yardage’s. The best thing for me is that when I do mishit it’s almost pin high. So my options are: right on, +10 yards, or 5 yards short (probably on the left side of the green) but still getting distance.

I’m pretty much over the club number. Too many people care about what the bottom of the club says. I play with a guy that will play a 5 iron from 204 out every time and come up 30 yards short because he has to be able to say he hit a 5 iron because if someone asks he can say he hit a 5. It’s really the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen but more common than I thought.

So what if I play a P790 9 iron 168 out? I know what the loft is. I know a traditional 9 iron blade is 44/45. I know it’s not equal from static measurements but so many other things come into play. I could care less if it said 82 iron on the bottom.

I just never saw the appeal of people telling other people what they hit. Like cool bro you hit a # iron I actually don’t care.

After getting fit on Trackman with these, the fitter was puzzled. Typically hit my AP2 7 iron 165. Expected to hit these 170-175ish. Sometimes would but sometimes they would go 195. Fitter thought I was crazy until I flew 2 in a row over 190. Lofts were all correct so not much else i can try with them. Could have weakened them a couple degrees but then I would hit them anywhere from 165-185. Really wanted to like these, but I guess Im on the hunt for irons again. They were pretty much all over the place. 4 iron was 220, 5 was 220, 6 was 190, 7 was 190, 8 was 165, 9 was 150, PW was 140, AW was 125. I dont know what to even do to them now. Not sure if you call them hot spots or just plain inconsistent.

That is crazy!