Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I asked this in another forum and am interested in what WRXers are seeing. I am currently playing the Apex CF16's. In looking at the specs the P790's have more offset. Anyone having a problem adjusting to that or seeing a difference in typical shot results because of it?

The 790s have significantly less offset than the Apex CF16s

Doesn't a higher number indicate more offset?

P790 Offset CF16 0.36 0.2 0.33 0.18 0.3 0.16 0.27 0.15 0.24 0.14 0.21 0.13 0.18 0.12 0.16 0.11

TM uses MM where as Callaway uses INCHES.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I asked this in another forum and am interested in what WRXers are seeing. I am currently playing the Apex CF16's. In looking at the specs the P790's have more offset. Anyone having a problem adjusting to that or seeing a difference in typical shot results because of it?

P790 Offset CF16 0.36 0.2 0.33 0.18 0.3 0.16 0.27 0.15 0.24 0.14 0.21 0.13 0.18 0.12 0.16 0.11

Bingo

So Tm 790 4 iron is 0.14" vs 0.20" Cally which is a big difference when you see it

lol, nobody complains of hot spots when they WANT to like something.... fwiw I'm not a believer in the hot spot conspiracy in any modern irons.

With so many positive reviews I'd love to give the P790s a try. I don't think I've ever hit a TM iron in my 30 years of golf.

i hit these at DSG and i was really impressed. they felt great. i wasn't consistent on the face and only a handful of shots i could tell it was toe/heel, so that would worry me a little. didn't have the launch monitor on so not sure on distance loss from off center.

Someone please do a P790 vs I 500 review please! Before I blindly make a bad decision!

From a feel perspective the P790 feels much much better. Performance wise it's a toss up.

Forgiveness wise, it has to go to P790. Hit it low on the face, Speed Pockets will save you. Saw this in play on Saturday on a Par 3 with LOTS of junk between tee and green. Save my Word not allowed, Par and avoided the rattlers below :)

i500, not so much, I suspect.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

More forgiving than the hot metals? I could see that versus the 900 tours...maybe the Forged...but the hot metals????

I owned the Hot Metals when they first came out, had them for about 5 months. I had the Modus 3 105 stiff shafts in them. At that time, I just came off the RSi2 irons, which I thought were the best and most forgiving irons made by any OEM, speed pocket and face slots. The reason I jumped to the Hot Metal was the face cave issues in 3 of my RSi2 irons but dang, those irons were like sniper rifles, could not miss and you didn't need to hit it sweet everytime. The Hot Metals were not as forgiving as the RSi2, no way. It was longer than the RSi2 (back then) but the forgiveness edge was tipped way towards the RSi2.

Now, in comes the P790. I finally went back to an old hunting ground, Marshall Canyon GC, La Verne, CA with my P790s. I played here with my RSi2 and the Hot Metals. Most Par 3s are hard here, lots of junks with rattlers, bunker protected sloping greens. Once you get the ball on the green...good luck. The P790s flat out performed there.

As I compare my mental notes on the clubs used, the P790 performed like my RSi2 except, this baby is way, way longer. I have no hesitation on saying the HM are not as forgiving as the P790s and I will re-iterate again, the speed pockets in the P790s are the best implementation of this concept EVER.

As a side note, when I was looking at my iron set to replace my CObra F8 One Lengths - the Forged JPX900 was considered but everytime, I swear the P790 drew me back to it...and what was the magnet? Its a hot head and a forgiving head as well. The only way they could make the P790 better is a face slot that is well designed and stress tested so that it would not cave in (the latest M series with the rib cors still have face caves based on what I saw and PMed with some other guys here from the WRX RSi face cave thread).

Jus go buy the P790s :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

My loft/lies were off by 3-4 degrees on every iron except the PW, which was correct.

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

... I know a lot of us keep saying expecting the specifications to be spot on from an OEM is just not going to happen. I know, I know that sounds insane with the cost of irons today, but it is what it is. I have said before when I was on staff with another OEM my 7 and 8 iron were 1* apart and every spec was off, and this is from a major OEM's custom club department. That is when I bought my first loft/lie machine. I just received a set of Honma 737Vs irons yesterday and before taking them out to play I checked their specs. Honma is supposed to be the cream of the crop and I was expecting specs at least close to standard. The lies were pretty darned close with only two of them off by 1*. However every iron but one of them were 1* or 2* stronger lofted than specifications. The PW was 2.5* strong and the offset was pretty obnoxious until I bent it 1* weak of standard. Thankfully they are very soft and were easy to bend the 3.5* necessary to get them to the correct gapping for me. Sadly this is the norm not the exception.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Finally got to test out the 3 iron I received last week! Wasn't super impressed, but isn't too bad either.

The bad:

- The feel was definitely not as good as my current 3 iron! Not even the close.

- Wasn't super impressed by the forgiveness. Not much, if any better, compared to my MP59 3 iron.

The good:

- It did seem to go longer. I don't have exact numbers yet, but it seemed to be going a little further than my current one. (yes, loft is slightly lower on the P790) Have just hit it at the range a couple times and haven't it at the course yet.

Have the exact same shaft and length as current MP59 3 iron. Not sure if I plan on putting the P790 in the bag yet... It does seem like it is coming off with a lot less spin (just going off feel and shot look right now) than my current 3 iron. Which I'm not sure if I like either. Will have to test it on the course this week and get a better idea of what it is doing though. Could be going 20 yards further and might be something nice to have.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

I've had a couple of ferrules come lose on mine and seems to be a strange arrangement.

It looks like there is an orange plastic ring which seats slightly inside the head and protrudes beyond the head a little. The ferrule then snaps in place over the top of the plastic ring which in turn centers it

I haven't pulled any shafts from a 790 yet to investigate this further but haven't seen anyone else mention this arrangement yet

This is on dot serial lighter heads

I just got my tracking today for my new custom set 4-GW P790's! Stoked

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

GolfWRX members warned me... And now have 3-a/g wedge in the 790. Simply awesome! My typical miss is slightly toe side/thin... these provide a significant assist with both of my miss tendencies.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Just got my 2nd set of P790, arriving last Wednesday after having a set from last fall. This time, I ordered it with Modus 105 stiff. As I ordered them at 1* flat lie so I checked the lies and lofts, very close to specs, couple clubs just half degree off. I haven't checked the swing weights and don't think I will bother doing so. I still do not know what is my old J15cb swing weights after purchasing them in summer of 2015. If it feels good to me then it's good.

After two rounds, I'm still getting used to the distances but I think they will stay in my bag.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I've had a couple of ferrules come lose on mine and seems to be a strange arrangement.

It looks like there is an orange plastic ring which seats slightly inside the head and protrudes beyond the head a little. The ferrule then snaps in place over the top of the plastic ring which in turn centers it

I haven't pulled any shafts from a 790 yet to investigate this further but haven't seen anyone else mention this arrangement yet

This is on dot serial lighter heads

My 2 UDI had the ferrule separate as well. I had the shop inspect and they said it wasn't anything to be concerned about. I wonder if others have had that issue too.

Bingo

So Tm 790 4 iron is 0.14" vs 0.20" Cally which is a big difference when you see it

just a plug for those needing to convert.

(inches offset) * 25.4 = offset in mm

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Well its too bad there are a few who have experienced gapping issues and ferrule separating as I must be one of the lucky ones as no-one is going to find that perfect set of irons but these have been close to perfect for me as I'm able to dial my distance in just fine, except when I'm in between clubs then I may have issues with my distance only because of swing change. The more I play them the better I will adjust as these P790s have given me more birdie opportunities per round than any other set of irons that I've ever owned.

I love how they look and feel and they are very forgiving as I have been able to fire at pins tucked away next to bunkers and close to water that normally would have me just trying to find the middle of the green. I really like the confidence they give me when standing over the ball as I even use my 4 iron more than ever off the Tee on really tight heavily wooden par 4's and on 2nd shots into par 5's. One other note is that I don't mind so much playing during windy conditions as I have before as they hold their line real well as they hold the green even better.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I have ordered already cant wait.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Got mine and love the look of my selections! Just got done adding HD lead tape to get the SW proper, on all of them. Here are the specs and weights FYI:

P790 4-GW Modus 130S -1/2" with Golf Pride Tour Wrap G2 Black (standard), requested D2 SW

4- D0

5- D0

6- D0

7- C9

8- C9

9- D0

PW- D0

GW- C9

hFhf4Mc.jpg

So here they are all SW'd properly 4-9 @D2 and PW-GW @D3

zi2sMDg.jpg

K1zFnPz.jpg

GM3qRlW.jpg

Got mine and love the look of my selections! Just got done adding HD lead tape to get the SW proper, on all of them. Here are the specs and weights FYI:

P790 4-GW Modus 130S -1/2" with Golf Pride Tour Wrap G2 Black (standard), requested D2 SW

4- D0

5- D0

6- D0

7- C9

8- C9

9- D0

PW- D0

GW- C9

hFhf4Mc.jpg

zi2sMDg.jpg

K1zFnPz.jpg

GM3qRlW.jpg

Interesting...did the lead tape change the sound/feel for you ?

4- D0

5- D0

6- D0

7- C9

8- C9

9- D0

PW- D0

GW- C9

hFhf4Mc.jpg

zi2sMDg.jpg

K1zFnPz.jpg

GM3qRlW.jpg

Interesting...did the lead tape change the sound/feel for you ?

Feel is absolutely yes. I have played my clubs with 120gram-130gram shafts for the past 7-8 yrs and always D2-D3. So the feel is solid after a large bucket this evening.

The sound is less “clicky” which never bothered me stock, but I’ll take it. I moved to these from my Mizzy JPX900 Forged not for the sound or feel but simply the fact that I hit yardage’s I have never seen previously and how darn forgiving these are for the compact heads. Love them!