Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Some stud on Tour who has won a few majors recently bags 4-P Mizuno, and an off brand blacked out 3i.

It's the cool thing right?

I actually tried a Fli-hi 3i, but just did not get along as well as I do with the 4-5, might have been the 90g graphite shaft. I think this will suit me better, and should have a smaller sole than the fli-hi.

I am stoked to get it, but have NEVER ordered TM through a rep, hope they turn and burn the order.

Its a Nike VFP 3i/2i, and is much better clubhead than the 790.

I just sold a nike VFP 2i head to replace it with the black p790. The nike was a rocket launcher but not forgiving at all and felt like garbage to me. Even on flushed hits, it just didn't feel solid. Time will tell if that was a mistake! Haha!

Did you try different shafts? I have my 3i on a KK graphite and it's pure feeling as anything I've hit.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I just sold a nike VFP 2i head to replace it with the black p790. The nike was a rocket launcher but not forgiving at all and felt like garbage to me. Even on flushed hits, it just didn't feel solid. Time will tell if that was a mistake! Haha!

I sold my VFP for the UDI(same shaft) and for me the biggest difference is the distance, think I would be 10 yards longer on roll with all being equal, everything else is very similar, including feel.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Some stud on Tour who has won a few majors recently bags 4-P Mizuno, and an off brand blacked out 3i.

I actually tried a Fli-hi 3i, but just did not get along as well as I do with the 4-5, might have been the 90g graphite shaft. I think this will suit me better, and should have a smaller sole than the fli-hi.

I am stoked to get it, but have NEVER ordered TM through a rep, hope they turn and burn the order.

I know what he plays, the post was in jest.

I am sure you like it better, I will never know.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Did you try different shafts? I have my 3i on a KK graphite and it's pure feeling as anything I've hit.

I tried project x 6.5, pxi 6.5, aldila rip tour 115, aldila vs proto 100x, tour ad di 95x, and tensei pro white 100tx. To me the tour ad felt the best in it. I was just ready for a change so in comes the p790 black! ?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Just picked up a set of beautiful p790s after getting fit at Club Champion. I had no plan on targeting these irons; they just seemed to fit my swing the best. I’m a 6 handicap, and I had been happily gaming Mizuno mx-25 (forged cavity back) irons for last 7 years. My driver speed is mid 90s, but I was fit for Project X PXi 6.0.

Overall, I’ve been very happy with my new irons. I haven’t quite dialed the distances in, but they seem to be 1/2 to 1 full club longer. Of course, the long to mid irons are stronger loft, but I noticed increased distance from my gap and pitching wedge as well.

The biggest difference I’ve noticed is how forgiving these irons are. Both my thin shots and toe shots preserve much of their distance. It’s significantly better than my Mizunos.

Overall, my ballstriking has improved with these irons. I think this may be in large part due to the club fitting. Having never had irons fit before, we found a shaft weight and flex that really suited my swing. The increase in overall weight and fine tuning of swing weight have resulted in better ball contact. Less fat, less thin, and more birdie putts. I didn’t know what kind of difference there would be, coming from a wide sole and heavy offset to a thinner sole and small offset (I’m a sweeper who fights a slight outside to in swing path.). Thankfully, I’ve had no trouble with consistent contact, and my new iron setup seems to suit me very well.

I’m a very happy customer.

Just placed the order thru DD's for the black 3 iron! I love those guys! Hopefully it will be here next week! Fingers crossed for early next week shipping!

Mine shipped Friday, and is sitting at FedEx in town, unfortunately they do not deliver packages early EVER. UPS send it when it arrives, stupid FedEx holds until scheduled delivery date (tomorrow).

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Just placed the order thru DD's for the black 3 iron! I love those guys! Hopefully it will be here next week! Fingers crossed for early next week shipping!

Mine shipped Friday, and is sitting at FedEx in town, unfortunately they do not deliver packages early EVER. UPS send it when it arrives, stupid FedEx holds until scheduled delivery date (tomorrow).

That’s like waiting on the new iPhone. It’ll be at your local hub for a week and they’ll hold it until release date. Of course I don’t see why they would just hold it in this instance if it’s ready. I did the next day air, it was $20 more and I figured if I dropped a grand on clubs another $20 won’t hurt.

If something is coming FedEx Home Delivery (or FedEx Ground) I always, always re-route it to "Hold At FedEx Location" as soon as I get shipment notice. In my case the nearest FedEx Office is just two block from where I work but even if it's a couple miles it's worth it.

They will deliver it to the specified FedEx location and you just go in, show your ID and sign for it then. Especially good on expensive items that may require a signature.

So got my Black 790's first off they are SUPER sharp looking. They have the same feel as the satin ones and no difference in length of the blade. They have seemlessly fit into my set without any changes needed. The feel is wonderful and very forgiving and distance is what i want. I have played 3 rounds with them and love them so far, will update if any changes.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

If something is coming FedEx Home Delivery (or FedEx Ground) I always, always re-route it to "Hold At FedEx Location" as soon as I get shipment notice. In my case the nearest FedEx Office is just two block from where I work but even if it's a couple miles it's worth it.

They will deliver it to the specified FedEx location and you just go in, show your ID and sign for it then. Especially good on expensive items that may require a signature.

unfortunately, a 90 minute round trip is not in the books on a Monday, not like my whiny little butt was playing today anyway.....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

So got my Black 790's first off they are SUPER sharp looking. They have the same feel as the satin ones and no difference in length of the blade. They have seemlessly fit into my set without any changes needed. The feel is wonderful and very forgiving and distance is what i want. I have played 3 rounds with them and love them so far, will update if any changes.

How’s the wear after 3 rounds?

So far no signs of wear, that included 3 to 4 sessions at the range also.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

question for those w 790 iron sets - did you have to reduce the loft gap between either your 9 iron and PW (ie using vokey sm7 PW); or your PW and GW (ie P790 PW and SM7 GW) ? For example, if the P790 PW is a 45 deg, a common wedge set might be 50-54-58 or something like that. Was just curious if the difference between a P790 and a non-790 wedge (gap) would be such that one should go 48 or 49 deg on the GW to keep consistent yardage caps between clubs.

Also, Not sure why people keep calling these distance irons. I haven't found them (via demo) unworkable at all. If not obvious, I'm far from an elite level ball-striker with a control over trajectory/ shape/ distance.

Last question - has anyone tried the P790s with both the PX's (6.0) and PX LZ (6.0)? Was curious to get some feedback. I wasn't able to demo the PX LZ, but feel like I would like the softer feel and loading of the LZ - with the only concern that spin rates would be noticeably higher over the PX. Was recommended the PX 6.0s at fitting.

question for those w 790 iron sets - did you have to reduce the loft gap between either your 9 iron and PW (ie using vokey sm7 PW); or your PW and GW (ie P790 PW and SM7 GW) ? For example, if the P790 PW is a 45 deg, a common wedge set might be 50-54-58 or something like that. Was just curious if the difference between a P790 and a non-790 wedge (gap) would be such that one should go 48 or 49 deg on the GW to keep consistent yardage caps between clubs.

... Coming from a 48* wedge with a 54 sw and a 60* lw my gaps were 6*. So I bent my P790 5-pw 1* weak and that left me with a 46* pw. I just changed to a 52 sw and 58 lw so my gaps are still 6* and the 52/58 actually performs better for me, so it was kind of a blessing in disguise.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Also, Not sure why people keep calling these distance irons. I haven't found them (via demo) unworkable at all. If not obvious, I'm far from an elite level ball-striker with a control over trajectory/ shape/ distance.

Last question - has anyone tried the P790s with both the PX's (6.0) and PX LZ (6.0)? Was curious to get some feedback. I wasn't able to demo the PX LZ, but feel like I would like the softer feel and loading of the LZ - with the only concern that spin rates would be noticeably higher over the PX. Was recommended the PX 6.0s at fitting.

You could just get the set GW and then you only have a 2 club dilemma. I always play the set GW and then a 54* usually followed by 58* and 64*. If you just go to the 790 PW you may just have to experiment a bit. There’s an upcharge for PX LZ through TM so I’d be sure before buying blind.

I was using Ping Anser 2 irons prior to making the switch to 790. The Pings had a 46 degree wedge and I had the 790 bent 1 degree weak from stock to the same 46 degrees. I haven't found any distance change in making that switch and the progression into gap, sand, lob has been the same.

What I have found is that the distance gains come in as you work your way down the set and the lofts get stronger, so the 4 iron is basically the same loft and distance as my old 3 iron. It just means your gaps are a shade bigger than they used to be, but that's no issue for me. In fact I like the fact that I can now cover the same yardage gap that used to take up one more club in the bag. I've actually written the old and new lofts on a piece of card and carry it in my pocket while I get used to the new lofts. It makes picking a club simple during the transistion period.

Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

No, but I put Accra Tour 100i graphite in mine and it was night and day difference from the Modus 120 steel that were in there. The Modus REALLY hurt my golfer/tennis elbows. After switching to the graphite, it all but went away.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

No, but I put Accra Tour 100i graphite in mine and it was night and day difference from the Modus 120 steel that were in there. The Modus REALLY hurt my golfer/tennis elbows. After switching to the graphite, it all but went away.

Modus is pretty soft feeling for an iron shaft so you must have a severe case of tennis elbow if it REALLY hurt using Modus shafts. That said, graphite is 100% the way to go to deal with tennis elbow.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Modus is pretty soft feeling for an iron shaft so you must have a severe case of tennis elbow if it REALLY hurt using Modus shafts. That said, graphite is 100% the way to go to deal with tennis elbow.

Even elbow issues aside, I did not think the Modus felt soft at all. I thought they felt stiff and harsh.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

Even elbow issues aside, I did not think the Modus felt soft at all. I thought they felt stiff and harsh.

Harsh and stiff are not terms typically used to describe any Modus shaft. I think they were a wrong fit for you if you felt this way.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Similar to you, I'm about a 13 handicap coming from i20s. Wanted to like the i500 as I'm a Ping fanboy and I love the looks, but the 790 felt and performed better for me. I've only got 2 rounds and a few range sessions with them so far, but I would say they are certainly longer, but progressively so - mostly in the 7 and longer irons, and only a little longer in the 8-W so gaps are a little more spread out but no huge steps (ie i probably picked up 5 yards on the wedge but 10 on the 4-7, but take this with a gain of salt as I'm not that consistent or precise!). They are more forgiving but only a little - thin shots and toe shots (which tend to be my miss) fly a little lower but go close to the same distance as well struck shots, which is a positive vs my i20s, but I find the long irons slightly more demanding as the i20/25 4 iron has a healthy amount of offset and is super easy to launch high. I haven't had the massive flyer that folks seem to be worried about. Unfortunately I can also confirm that the hosel is as unforgiving as the i20/25.

I have SF 95s in mine and like them. Never played SF before. Came from Project X 6.0 graphite 95 (Blue) in my old irons.

I have SF 95s in mine and like them. Never played SF before. Came from Project X 6.0 graphite 95 (Blue) in my old irons.

I was fit into 110s in my AP2 a few years ago, but I've always wondered about the 95s and if I'd like them more. I have no info as to why I might like them more -- I just wonder if a little lighter might be a little better.

Thanks for the replies regarding SFs.

I was fit into 110s in my AP2 a few years ago, but I've always wondered about the 95s and if I'd like them more. I have no info as to why I might like them more -- I just wonder if a little lighter might be a little better.

Thanks for the replies regarding SFs.

... I have Recoil 95's in my irons and 110's in my wedges and honestly I cannot tell any difference when playing them. Side by side at the range if my focus is only on the shaft, I can tell the 110's are slightly heavier. But actually hitting shots on the course, I really can't tell any difference. I would add I have a smooth transition and swing so that might figure into it and a hard hitter might find more of a difference.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Just got 5-AW off the BST with Modus 120s. Previously had Mizuno MP-15's with PX LZs and compared to that the P790s are rocket launchers. I have only been to the range and so I cannot fully comment on the distance. But the one thing I noticed is the ball launches SO much incredibly higher but the Modus 120s make it a flatter flight. I wouldn't say the clubs are super soft but I have no issues with the feel. The thing I did notice is that there I do feel the "meat" behind the club.

I have never previously even thought of a Taylormade set of irons before the P series came out but I love the look of these and "should" stay in my bag for awhile.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

I have a set with SF i110s and they work great. I also own a set of i500s with Recoil 95s and it is a battle between the two for the first position in the bag. The SFs feel smooth, stable and give me a great ball flight that is very similar to the Modus shafts that came with the P790s. Like you, I went to graphite due to elbow issues. One year ago, my elbow constantly hurt and especially so if I played two days in a row. This summer, I can play as much as I want and not experience any issue whatsoever with the elbows.

In short, I highly recommend the combination.