Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Hit these tonight and I thought they were meh.

What didn't you like about them?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

From what I read, I was expecting them to have really good feel, but they felt kind of blah. I was hitting it with a s300 which is probably part of the problem. I will have to hit them again with a different shaft.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

From what I read, I was expecting them to have really good feel, but they felt kind of blah. I was hitting it with a s300 which is probably part of the problem. I will have to hit them again with a different shaft.

Yeah, hard to compare a new club to your gamers without having the same shaft in both.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Do you worry about holding greens?

Initially that was a concern. But I was getting the same peak height and the same angle of descent (~45*-48*). A little shy of the 50* I would like with a 7 iron, but the same as my P770s, so not a club issue IMO.

What do you think of like a 5-7 790 8-PW 770 set? I feel like I am to the point where I can solidly strike my 8 and lower, every now and then a 7i gets miss hit and I certainly can still miss hit 6 and 5i. However, I hate the look of a shovel in my hand after I experimented with MP54's. I think the 5 and 6 sometimes were a litttllleeeeee small looking, but something throws me off about wielding a tiny back-hoe in my hands with these Rballz irons.

That's something I've also considered because I like my P770s so much. My concern would be gapping. Because the 790s were so much longer (for me), I worry about a yardage gap where the 2 sets meet. Very tempting though. Regardless, I would encourage you to look at a full set of the 790s when they come out. While I haven't seen the short irons yet, the 790 topline didn't look any bigger to me at address than my 770 7 iron. You might be happy with a full set of 790s.

This is what Im thinking but doubt ill make the jump

3,4 790

5,6 770

7,8 750

9,P 730

What has a chance of happening is 790 3 iron and 730 PW though. Id order them now if i could

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

But why

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I hit them today. They were much bigger than what I am used to playing. Always played AP2 and just switched to V6. They didn't feel better than my V6. Decent feel. Performance was good. Nice high flight. Sort of reminded me of an Ap1 at address with maybe a little less offset. Sort of a mix between cast and forged feeling. If I was looking for more forgiveness I would consider. The back of the club looks really good.

hit them today and really loved the way the feel -- but in order to get my gappings correct, i'd have to go 2,3,4,5 in the P790 (all bent a degree and a half weak) to fit into the P730 (bent a degree and a half strong) low irons.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I made the mistake of hitting these on a monitor today while I was waiting for a regrip. Here are some number averages on 6 shots with a 7 iron.

Launch Angle: 19*

Spin: 5853

Peak Height: 33

Decent Angle: 47*

Carry: 167

These shots were cuts that were within 3-5 yards of each other. Club had the stock s300 shaft in it. I'll have to go back and try with a different shaft but I was very impressed with my first impression. Sounded and felt better than I thought it would.

Edit: This was also tested with a generic ball you can find in the hitting bays at GG. I will try to test with a premium ball.

Well, pulled the trigger on a pre order! Being a lefty this was based only on the hype! Darn you WRX!!!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

But why

If this was for me because they 790 will be a UDI, The 730 PW is because they don't have a MG 48 degree and the 770 wedge is kind of a shovel. I just don't care for the look. 9 iron is borderline but close enough i don't need to spend $175 fo fix.

New Level SPN Milled 53 

Hi All- looking for some help, and I just joined this forum. I apologize in advance is this is not the right place to post this....

On a good day I shoot ~85, and I have played stock rac 5's for 12 years. Recently I decided it was time for a new set, and I wanted to be properly fitted considering since I have had these clubs I have gone from shooting 102 to mid 80's.

I got fitted at Club Champion- I knew I needed a stiffer shaft, and maybe a heavier shaft. The fitter recommended the true temper PXI 6.0 for the p790 irons.

Could anyone shed light on what someone could expect from the stock shafts vs the pxi 6.0? I am always skeptical of being "sold" and I do not know enough about the tech details to ask the right questions in the fitting.

I was fitted using trackman, and also hit the stock shaft in a simulator, but it didnt have all the detail compated to trackman....i could not really tell the difference, both felt good.

Hi All- looking for some help, and I just joined this forum. I apologize in advance is this is not the right place to post this....

On a good day I shoot ~85, and I have played stock rac 5's for 12 years. Recently I decided it was time for a new set, and I wanted to be properly fitted considering since I have had these clubs I have gone from shooting 102 to mid 80's.

I got fitted at Club Champion- I knew I needed a stiffer shaft, and maybe a heavier shaft. The fitter recommended the true temper PXI 6.0 for the p790 irons.

Could anyone shed light on what someone could expect from the stock shafts vs the pxi 6.0? I am always skeptical of being "sold" and I do not know enough about the tech details to ask the right questions in the fitting.

I was fitted using trackman, and also hit the stock shaft in a simulator, but it didnt have all the detail compated to trackman....i could not really tell the difference, both felt good.

The stock shaft will have an overall weight of about 7g less. I couldn't tell the difference in ball flight with my swing type between the DG 105 S300 and the PXi 6.0. If your fitter is putting you in teh PXi it's probably to match up with your swing. I have a pretty late release so I hit everything about the same.

The stock shaft will have an overall weight of about 7g less. I couldn't tell the difference in ball flight with my swing type between the DG 105 S300 and the PXi 6.0. If your fitter is putting you in teh PXi it's probably to match up with your swing. I have a pretty late release so I hit everything about the same.

thanks- who is the ideal golfer for these clubs? everything i read says they are a "players" club.

Here are some pics of the Taylormade P line of irons. From left to right: 750, 770, 790.

The 750 is more blade like than the other two and has a shorter heel to toe measurement.

I know there is a 20 mm difference in the 770 and 790, but they look remarkably close to my eye. The 790 appears to be a more rounded 770. The 770 is a bit boxy on the top line.

The pics may appear to exaggerate the size of the 790, but to my eye, it's closer to the 770 than the difference between the 750 and 770.1454cb3dd42cf0b4e4ddebdffd2435a5.jpg

thanks- who is the ideal golfer for these clubs? everything i read says they are a "players" club.

I'm a 7 that struggles with his iron play. Good off the tee and around/on the greens. So far I've had the P790 out on the range for several sessions head to head against the G400, Steelhead XR Pro and Mizuno 900 Forged. Hands down the P790's were easier to hit, more forgiving, higher launching and carried further. Really wasn't a fare fight, they just outperformed the other 3 sets.

Here are some pics of the Taylormade P line of irons. From left to right: 750, 770, 790.

The 750 is more blade like than the other two and has a shorter heel to toe measurement.

I know there is a 20 mm difference in the 770 and 790, but they look remarkably close to my eye. The 790 appears to be a more rounded 770. The 770 is a bit boxy on the top line.

The pics may appear to exaggerate the size of the 790, but to my eye, it's closer to the 770 than the difference between the 750 and 770.1454cb3dd42cf0b4e4ddebdffd2435a5.jpg

Great topline pics.

But why

If this was for me because they 790 will be a UDI, The 730 PW is because they don't have a MG 48 degree and the 770 wedge is kind of a shovel. I just don't care for the look. 9 iron is borderline but close enough i don't need to spend $175 fo fix.

I hear 48* is coming...

New Bag in the making...

A good attempt to show the comparison, but a few things. 20mm is about.78 inch and the 790 I demoed was larger but not 3/4 inch longer . Also showing the face as much as the picture does you don't get the idea of how thick the rounded top line of the 790 is. It also looks like the 750s. hosel is not even with the 770. They do a nice job with the shape, but it will never be mistaken for a players club. As is the case with any photo comparisons top lines, overall length, offset are very hard to judge without seeing the actual item. I went back to try the demo again with 3 other shafts and still wasn't impressed. The speed foam doesn't cushion soften the impact the way PXGs TPE does) That being said 4 others tried them at the same time I did. 3 ordered complete sets of 790s and the other wanted a 3 iron, so as always demoing in person is the answer.

But why

I hear 48* is coming...

Actually when I was screwing around on TM custom site I saw it!

New Level SPN Milled 53 

Just FYI: It's a 2mm difference, not a 20mm difference. 20mm is a little more than 3/4 of an inch. I know it was likely just a typo, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. :good:

And I agree that, at address, the 700s and 790s look virtually the same size and that the square-ish topline makes the 770 look thicker than it actually is.

5yRwmnf.png

I wish! Maybe in 3 years when a few more models knock the price down.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

I bounce between a 2 and 5 handicap and I'll be gaming these. (Replacing my z745 & MP68's)

I'd say, based on what my high handicap friends play, they would fit in the bag of just about anyone who can find the center'ish of the club face. The P790 have about a gold dollars size middle that is playable, if you stay in that area you'll do well, high and low shots on the face do well. Toe side further out drops off about a full club but with some help to keep it from getting too far right. Heal side is just as bad as any other blade - SGI. Heal hits are fades with more than a club distance loss.

I'm a 7 that struggles with his iron play. Good off the tee and around/on the greens. So far I've had the P790 out on the range for several sessions head to head against the G400, Steelhead XR Pro and Mizuno 900 Forged. Hands down the P790's were easier to hit, more forgiving, higher launching and carried further. Really wasn't a fare fight, they just outperformed the other 3 sets.

really appreciate the info, thanks.

I bounce between a 2 and 5 handicap and I'll be gaming these. (Replacing my z745 & MP68's)

I'd say, based on what my high handicap friends play, they would fit in the bag of just about anyone who can find the center'ish of the club face. The P790 have about a gold dollars size middle that is playable, if you stay in that area you'll do well, high and low shots on the face do well. Toe side further out drops off about a full club but with some help to keep it from getting too far right. Heal side is just as bad as any other blade - SGI. Heal hits are fades with more than a club distance loss.

got it, good insight, thanks so much. my mishits are fat, and therefore usually hit a bit high on the face, but i think i am center'ish. of course when i was fitted they only had a 6 iron which i hit well, but i am somewhat concerned that the 4 iron (maybe 5 too) are tougher to hit because they are less offset.

i am really torn- i hit it well, felt great, but the trackman cannot tell you where on the face you hit. smash factor was between 1.41-1.44....just tough for me to wrap my head around a 3 handicap playing the same clubs as me!