2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

McIlroy fires caddie.

360_CS

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory was misclubbed at the Open. But that's one shot. JP doesn't seem to be fully engaged when reading greens, but JP and Rory have been together a good while. I'm quite tired of dumping caddies simply for the sake of change. If he thinks he was misclubbed once wait till he grinds through a few other caddies. You'd think that these two could talk it out, but unfortunately perhaps that didn't happen. I don't agree with his firing.

WTF is he saying?

Is anyone watching the news conference right now??

His buddy Harry that owns bars and nightclubs back home is on the bag for the foreseeable future!?!

Has he lost his mind? I thought it was just for this week. Holy hell. He's nuts.

That's because he and Tiger are still working the details on Rory buying LaCava

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Rory was misclubbed at the Open. But that's one shot. JP doesn't seem to be fully engaged when reading greens, but JP and Rory have been together a good while. I'm quite tired of dumping caddies simply for the sake of change. If he thinks he was misclubbed once wait till he grinds through a few other caddies. You'd think that these two could talk it out, but unfortunately perhaps that didn't happen. I don't agree with his firing.

Speaking of misclubbing someone, Joe Skovron misclubs Rickie Fowler ALL. THE. TIME. and somehow this muppet still has a job... Rickie might want to join the caddy dumping revolution.

All this talk about JP mis-clubbing Rory is a bunch of hogwash. It is my opinion that a caddie's responsibility is to provide accurate, reliable information and, only when asked, give recommendations. The onus is entirely on the player to choose the club. The caddie does not know where the players confidence lies. For instance, today he may feel more comfortable and confident playing a soft cut and tomorrow a hard draw. The caddie may give his opinion as to what the ideal shot may be, but the player has to decide if he can pull it off.

I find it hard to believe that a caddie could convince a world class player to overclub enough to completely air-mail greens.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

He's got 1 at age 33, so 4 is very unlikely. More than Rory? Laughable.

Sorry I didnt say more than Rory.I was contending that him getting to 3-4 is impossible. From what ive seen he has a window of 8 years so 30-40 majors to get a few more. Until he figured out his wedges and lost the foul balls from his game i would say no but hes a different player the last 2.5 years. I wouldnt bet against him ending his career with 4 big ones is the only point i was making

WTF is he saying?

His buddy Harry that owns bars and nightclubs back home is on the bag for the foreseeable future!?!

Has he lost his mind? I thought it was just for this week. Holy hell. He's nuts.

The World Number 1s brother is on his bag, the last major winners' caddie used to be a school teacher.

Padraig Harrington got rid of his professional caddie for his best friend in his mid-30s, by then he had won 8 tournaments and 0 majors, now he has won 20 tournaments and 3 majors.

'I was getting hard on him, don't want to treat anyone like that'

‘There’s nothing to say that JP won’t work for me again at some point.'

Did he just put JP in timeout for a few weeks?

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

3. Rory is a very fragile person. He get's frazzled easily and it's pretty obvious. No I am not a clinical psychologist or his friend but I have played a lot of golf with some high level players and while Rory has a level of talent that is by far much better than anyone I have played with lately (sans one who has Rors number) but he let's little things bother him. Until he understands this phrase "Lions don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep" he will not dominate. His domination that we have seen is straight up talent. The kid can play but He isn't a mental giant like Jordan, DJ, Tiger, etc. Rory does need to remember he is Rory f'ing Mcilroy.

Rory has more talent than anyone in the game except in his wedges and putting, there is no reason he shouldn't be number one in the world. I also think the ball change has had a much bigger impact on him than he thought. Anyway...Just my $.02.

Pretty good post, but DJ a mental giant? Now I've seen it all.

Actually he is when you think about the context I was framing it in. DJ isn't the smartest golfer out there but when it comes to being mentally tough the dude is cooler than the other side of the pillow. NOTHING bothers the man. I cite the US Open last year when all of us would have been a mess and he just says f it, let's win by a larger amount. So yes. DJ is a mental giant when it comes to dealing with pressure. probably one of the best ever.

Pebble 2010, Whistling Straits 2010, St George's 2011.... the Einstein of pressure!

Losing a tournament and making bad swings happens to everyone. Hogan at Cherry hills. You really don't understand what I am saying. Rory is not someone who in my estimation shows he is mentally tough when he is challenged. You never see DJ firing back on twitter when people criticize him, you don't see him throwing fits about things, you don't see him talking $hit to everyone about if you can't hit the fairways then you should pack your bags and go home...Well Rory did just that. Rory DESPERATELY wants to be seen as a tough guy as someone who is all that and a bag of chips. The dude is fragile emotionally. DJ is Not. While Rory is twittering away and getting in dick measuring contests with has beens, DJ is at home with Paulina pumping out kids and not giving a flying $%&^ what people are saying. There is a huge difference in Being mentally strong and not winning a tournament. This has nothing to do with how smart someone is. DJ is a warrior, Rory tells everyone he is a warrior and if anyone disagrees he starts in like a 7 yr old on a playground " yes I am, yes I am, look at my muscles," " My mom says I'm her biggest warrior, I have lots of money and I lift weights". Pete Rose was one of the biggest idiots off the diamond but was a vicious fighter and fiercest competitors on the field.

Rory fires his caddie...

Phil fires his caddie...

Lydia Ko fires 5 caddies...

...and, Joe LaCava still has a job with Tiger. Crazy.

He must just be paying him a salary.

Must be. The situation just strikes me as odd. Can't imagine TIger paying for a service he doesn't use, can't imagine LaCava content to be away from the Tour.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/joe-lacava-says-tiger-took-care-of-him-during-time-off

Luckily for LaCava, his boss was understanding in more ways than one. Speaking with The New York Times, LaCava said Woods has looked after him from Day 1 until the 14-time major winner's return.

While he didn't go in to financial specifics, LaCava and Woods had an understanding that LaCava could caddie for other players if he so chose. But ever the loyal companion, LaCava, who helped Woods to nine victories, never strayed, just in case his boss came back early.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/sports/golf/tiger-woods-caddie-joe-lacava.html?_r=0

3. Rory is a very fragile person. He get's frazzled easily and it's pretty obvious. No I am not a clinical psychologist or his friend but I have played a lot of golf with some high level players and while Rory has a level of talent that is by far much better than anyone I have played with lately (sans one who has Rors number) but he let's little things bother him. Until he understands this phrase "Lions don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep" he will not dominate. His domination that we have seen is straight up talent. The kid can play but He isn't a mental giant like Jordan, DJ, Tiger, etc. Rory does need to remember he is Rory f'ing Mcilroy.

Rory has more talent than anyone in the game except in his wedges and putting, there is no reason he shouldn't be number one in the world. I also think the ball change has had a much bigger impact on him than he thought. Anyway...Just my $.02.

Pretty good post, but DJ a mental giant? Now I've seen it all.

Actually he is when you think about the context I was framing it in. DJ isn't the smartest golfer out there but when it comes to being mentally tough the dude is cooler than the other side of the pillow. NOTHING bothers the man. I cite the US Open last year when all of us would have been a mess and he just says f it, let's win by a larger amount. So yes. DJ is a mental giant when it comes to dealing with pressure. probably one of the best ever.

Pebble 2010, Whistling Straits 2010, St George's 2011.... the Einstein of pressure!

Losing a tournament and making bad swings happens to everyone. Hogan at Cherry hills. You really don't understand what I am saying. Rory is not someone who in my estimation shows he is mentally tough when he is challenged. You never see DJ firing back on twitter when people criticize him, you don't see him throwing fits about things, you don't see him talking $hit to everyone about if you can't hit the fairways then you should pack your bags and go home...Well Rory did just that. Rory DESPERATELY wants to be seen as a tough guy as someone who is all that and a bag of chips. The dude is fragile emotionally. DJ is Not. While Rory is twittering away and getting in dick measuring contests with has beens, DJ is at home with Paulina pumping out kids and not giving a flying $%&^ what people are saying. There is a huge difference in Being mentally strong and not winning a tournament. This has nothing to do with how smart someone is. DJ is a warrior, Rory tells everyone he is a warrior and if anyone disagrees he starts in like a 7 yr old on a playground " yes I am, yes I am, look at my muscles," " My mom says I'm her biggest warrior, I have lots of money and I lift weights". Pete Rose was one of the biggest idiots off the diamond but was a vicious fighter and fiercest competitors on the field.

A modern day warrior

Mean, mean stride

Unless he's wearing socks.

Sorry I didnt say more than Rory.I was contending that him getting to 3-4 is impossible. From what ive seen he has a window of 8 years so 30-40 majors to get a few more. Until he figured out his wedges and lost the foul balls from his game i would say no but hes a different player the last 2.5 years. I wouldnt bet against him ending his career with 4 big ones is the only point i was making

The poster you were responding to was quite confident that he would pass Rory, which is extraordinarily unlikely - 5 years and 3 majors is a huge mountain to climb. He's a Hall of Fame-type player, but not on the same trajectory as Spieth and Rory - yet people seem to want to put him in that conversation.

WTF is he saying?

The World Number 1s brother is on his bag, the last major winners' caddie used to be a school teacher.

Padraig Harrington got rid of his professional caddie for his best friend in his mid-30s, by then he had won 8 tournaments and 0 majors, now he has won 20 tournaments and 3 majors.

Yeah, Anamolies. But they also had plenty of time to learn the trade.. You actually think it's a good idea to have his bar owner friend with zero professional experience on the bag for the last major of the year? You get 4 of them a year and you're going to have a rank amateur on the bag. It's a bad idea. It's like he's saying caddies just don't matter.

You really don't understand what I am saying. Rory is not someone who in my estimation shows he is mentally tough when he is challenged.

Someone commented about what a fragile personality McIlroy is and, though I don't know him personally, that seems to be very much the case, based on his on course demeanour.

Contrast that with Spieth, who is an insane competitor, even when the chips are down. Sure Spieth has a few wobbles now and then, but if these two were in the last group, tied on the 17th tee with a major on the line, I know who my money would be on.

The poster you were responding to was quite confident that he would pass Rory, which is extraordinarily unlikely - 5 years and 3 majors is a huge mountain to climb. He's a Hall of Fame-type player, but not on the same trajectory as Spieth and Rory - yet people seem to want to put him in that conversation.

oh now I see what you mean. yeah I dont put him in that category unless he bags a few majors in the next few years and those 2 stagnate.

So according to the WRX article, Rory fires JP cause he doesn't want to treat a friend poorly on the job, solution... hire another friend for WGC-Bridgestone Invitational :dntknw:

I don't think he's expecting or requesting any golf advice from the new caddie, Rory just wants someone to carry his bag and keep him company.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Gosh, how did those oldtimers even pull a club when they had to use local caddies. Imagine how good Hogan, Nelson and Snead could have been if they had regular caddies! I can just imagine the icy look Hogan would have given a caddy if he tried to talk him out of a club.

WTF is he saying?

Yeah, Anamolies. But they also had plenty of time to learn the trade.. You actually think it's a good idea to have his bar owner friend with zero professional experience on the bag for the last major of the year? You get 4 of them a year and you're going to have a rank amateur on the bag. It's a bad idea. It's like he's saying caddies just don't matter.

Or winning another tournament just isn't that important, 'cause he's done that, see resume, etc. Okay that's cynical.

He's a friend, he's caddied before and Rory needs someone for this tournament. He probably figures he won't do any worse.

He and Phil can pitch pennies and see who gets each other's caddie after the season.

You really don't understand what I am saying. Rory is not someone who in my estimation shows he is mentally tough when he is challenged.

Someone commented about what a fragile personality McIlroy is and, though I don't know him personally, that seems to be very much the case, based on his on course demeanour.

Contrast that with Spieth, who is an insane competitor, even when the chips are down. Sure Spieth has a few wobbles now and then, but if these two were in the last group, tied on the 17th tee with a major on the line, I know who my money would be on.

It is easy to make generalizations such as these. The fact of the matter is this: one guy can putt, and the other can't. You really don't have to read much more into it.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

How can a pro of Rory's caliber be mis-clubbed? Assuming the distance estimate is close, Rory doesn't know what freaking club to hit? The caddie doesn't hit the shot, the player does. Rory mis-clubs Rory, not the damn caddie. The caddie is a scapegoat.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g