McIlroy fires caddie.

360_CS

his wife better be happy they are married...or he would be shopping around for a replacement there too to boost his game. Might be a tad too expensive to do that now....worse later of course

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his wife better be happy they are married...or he would be shopping around for a replacement there too to boost his game. Might be a tad too expensive to do that now....worse later of course

It should come down to simple math of the opportunity cost. How much can he make if he stays compared to how much more he can make if he leaves, minus the settlement fees. You're absolutely right about the timing factor.

Stevie?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Rory probably saw how great MG helped Jordan and realized its time to get that help on his side. A Rory Spieth rivalry would be awesome and you kinda get the sense they don't like each other.

I'm not sure that they don't like each other. I'm sure that Rory would love to be included on those SB2K vacations (or whatever they call them). I do think that they compete differently. Rory is a little more demonstrative when he's grinding, getting a "game face" on where Jordan smiles and acts humble and friendly, then slits their throat and stomps on their face while making 50' putts....a much more effective killer than Rory. It's a lot more frustrating to watch a guy make long putts than to watch long drives. That gets in guys' heads more than anything.

I think people forget that a caddies income can be affected by changes their player makes. JP has made a lot of money carrying Rory's bag but this year has been leaner at least partially due to Rory switching clubs and ball which put more money in Rory's pocket but hurt JP financially.

If I'm getting a percentage of what my player makes I'm going to be a bit vocal about the decisions he's making that affects how much money I make.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Seems unfortunate that the caddies always seem to get the blame for the player's poor play. Ever since Rory jumped to TM his play has been poor and combined with his rib injury he hasn't played that much either. He needs to find the clubs, and putter, that work for him and stick with them as it will take some time to get used to all the club changes he's made over the past year. It's a shame that both Rory and Jason Day have fallen off the planet with their play as both brought more fun to the game. Maybe Joey LaCava could help him - I'm sure he would be wiling to change at this point?

I think what JP did for Rory in the first round of the Open is the type of caddie he needs all the time. Also, for Rory being one of the greatest ball strikers in the world, IMO there were too many times where he had a mid/short iron into a green after a gorgeous drive, only to fly it by 10 yards (re: 2017 Masters). Then they both look at each other in astonishment. Don't know how much of that is the caddie's fault but I'd say giving a distance, lie, wind, club selection recommendation falls at least partly on JP. Maybe the next guy can do better.

The choice of club is, IMO, 100% on the player. The caddie can recommend, but the final decision has to be made by the player. You always know a poor shot is coming when a player goes against their conviction and hits a club they are not fully committed to.

How in the world does a player get to the upper echelons of golf without the ability to read greens, read lies or assess the conditions in order to calculate which club and shot type to play?

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

I think people forget that a caddies income can be affected by changes their player makes. JP has made a lot of money carrying Rory's bag but this year has been leaner at least partially due to Rory switching clubs and ball which put more money in Rory's pocket but hurt JP financially.

If I'm getting a percentage of what my player makes I'm going to be a bit vocal about the decisions he's making that affects how much money I make.

I think Rory's recent struggles have clouded the facts. He has 5 top 10s (6 if you count the Euro Tour) this year (2 in majors) and has made over $2 million on the PGA Tour. Add in a solo 2nd (playoff loss) at the BMW SA Open on the Euro Tour. I'd say JP was doing just fine financially.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

LOL.........hopefully it's that simple, but unlikely.

There should be an immediate improvement in Rory's game if there was an issue with JP. If his new caddie can provide the simple stuff like yardage, lie, wind, club selection, assistance with reading greens, etc. then Rory should be able to execute. Probably not going to happen. Seems to me that Rory is a streaky player at best.

Rory's putting seemed to vanish after he had Lasik........perhaps his visual perspective is off just a bit.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Rory needs a caddie to read all his putts and basically tell him what shot to play every time. Rory is a great ball striker but he doesn't have natural feel or awareness for the game that other great ones do.

I find it hard to believe that a guy who has won 4 majors, with a couple running away, can't read putts.

This is a good move by Rory. I never felt JP was right for him. Too old, too slow, and just not able to relate to Rory's lifestyle. Very similar to the Fluff/Tiger dynamic, except JP didn't seem to be as hungry to steal the limelight and build his own brand as Fluff.

The reality is that these older caddies are too limited when it comes to facilitating a young gun's lifestyle; particularly ones as interested in fitness as Tiger was then and Rory is now. When Tiger went to Stevie, it opened up new possibilities because Stevie could lift with him, ate a similar high protein/low carb diet, listened to similar music, had the fire to enforce Tiger's no-camera policy, etc. It just made his experience on the road out on Tour more streamlined and efficient. Rory should look for the same - a guy who can lift, eats a clean diet, listens to Kygo/EDM, etc. JP looked like he should be selling insurance and never seemed comfortable wearing the Nike gear - just not athletic enough. By the time Rory completed his lifting session and pre-round warm-up routine (31 pitches, 10 bunker shots, 12 54 deg wedge shots, 13 9 irons, 12 7irons, 9 5 irons, 6 drivers, and 17 putts...it takes on average 50 minutes), JP was already worn out and had a difficult time keeping up on the course. As other posters said, he could be seen falling behind a number of times and this affected Rory's tempo and flow.

Look, I won't hide the fact that I'm a Rory fan and am very much anti-Spieth. I see Rory's potential as unlimited, whereas Spieth's ceiling is 5 or 6 or so majors. As I've written in other threads, Jordan isn't in the same universe as Rory talent-wise. However, one area that Jordan had a leg up on Rors was in the caddy department. Greller is younger and more energetic than JP....going up and down that steep dune at Birkdale to get the proper line after Jordan's drop would have burned JP out the rest of the round, for example. I applaud Rory for recognizing this and addressing a weak link in his system, which hopefully will begin to unlock the rest of his potential.

If Rory asked bones would go

1.5 mil a year compared to what the NBC pay is?

NBC isn't paying him pocket change

Agree it's probably 500k just a guess but I think he could be the 10% of unknown factor Rory needs and probably wants to be a part of putting him on top again

Maybe he likes his new job

Certainly doesn't need the money.

Where's Ferguson? Is rory not an awful person for doing this? "Kicking him to the curb?"

LOL it's a caddie, meh why should we care?

In the end it's a business decision.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

There should be an immediate improvement in Rory's game if there was an issue with JP. If his new caddie can provide the simple stuff like yardage, lie, wind, club selection, assistance with reading greens, etc. then Rory should be able to execute. Probably not going to happen. Seems to me that Rory is a streaky player at best.

Rory's putting seemed to vanish after he had Lasik........perhaps his visual perspective is off just a bit.

The fact that Kenny Perry and Vijay Singh are back in glasses leads me to believe that Lasik is perhaps not the panacea that some make it out to be. I've dealt with significant nearsightedness since I was very young, and continue to wear contact lenses to this day. Not sure if I'll ever seriously consider surgery for vision correction.

The fact that Kenny Perry and Vijay Singh are back in glasses leads me to believe that Lasik is perhaps not the panacea that some make it out to be. I've dealt with significant nearsightedness since I was very young, and continue to wear contact lenses to this day. Not sure if I'll ever seriously consider surgery for vision correction.

A good portion of Lasik patients will need glasses again at some point - Just like needing bifocals when you get older. Many, many tour pros have had it done.

From the limited times I've watched Rory this season, two major deficiencies come to mind: putting and wedge play. We don't really know the why to either of these, but both could be affected by the caddie. If we start to see an immediate improvement on putts made and distance to pin on 125 and in, I think we'll know the caddie was more involved in that bad play.

Overall, I think it's a GREAT move and I look forward to seeing what Rory can with the rest of the season.

Same here. I don't think most people understand how many corrective procedures are required to sustain it. They think it's a "one and done" type of deal when, in reality, it involves a lot of follow up.

*Waits for Ferguson to come in and say it's bc Rory didn't want to pay his benefits, 401-K or something else*

I fear we've seen the last of poor Ferguson. He's been eerily quiet since the Bones thread.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black