2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What did your Ben Hogan irons cost in 1991?

Came across a large stack of these cleaning out a file cabinet today. I had forgotten they were in there. I have invoices for almost the entire Hogan catalog as I was a staff member and my shop was stocked mostly with Hogan equipment. 1991 Hogan Apex irons wholesaled for $45 per club! That's more than I remembered! The Edge irons were the same price. Apex persimmon woods were $85 per club. Some of the best equipment ever made.

• Like 1

I know what my '73 Apex irons cost me in '76 - $200. Sweet, still have them, and still love them!

Augie, in 1974 I bought my brand new BH Apex (2-E) irons and Apex (1,3 & 4) black laminated woods for a grand total of $297 from Strictly Golf in Naperville, IL.

13 years later in 1987, I bought my brand new BH Apex PC (1-SW) irons for over $600 (NO WOODS) from the same place.

2 more irons and 3 less woods for $300 more! I guess that was a prime example of inflation at a consumer level in just the golf industry.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

In 1984 I bought a set of brand spanking new PC's, 1 - E, still in it's sealed box for $150 CDN!

Still got 'em, too.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I know what my '73 Apex irons cost me in '76 - $200. Sweet, still have them, and still love them!

Augie, in 1974 I bought my brand new BH Apex (2-E) irons and Apex (1,3 & 4) black laminated woods for a grand total of $297 from Strictly Golf in Naperville, IL.

13 years later in 1987, I bought my brand new BH Apex PC (1-SW) irons for over $600 (NO WOODS) from the same place.

2 more irons and 3 less woods for $300 more! I guess that was a prime example of inflation at a consumer level in just the golf industry.

Man, that takes me back. I remember Strictly Golf. It was a ritual trip for me and my dad to go there and check out the clubs when the golf bug started biting late in the winters. Years later I worked there when it became Chicago Golf Discount. That was a real golf store (Strictly then Golf Discount). What a cast of characters that used to hang around that place...haha. Sad that those types of places no longer exist in today's world. Replaced by PGA Super Stores :-/

The 1991-2 Ft. Worth Redlines were the first Hogan irons I bought with my own $$$. Prior to that, I played multiple Hogan irons but they were all hand-me-downs from my dad who only played Hogan blades and bought pretty much every set they made. Not a bad way for a kid to get introduced to golf, playing Hogan Apexes :)

Loved these irons, played them until the 99 Apexes came out and switched to them. I still have the 91s. Can't part with them. Keep them in the Hogan mini-staff bag I bought at the same time. Serial numbers match on 1-SW.

I can't remember what I paid for them, I wanna say somewhere around $500-600 and another $150 for the staff bag

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

The 1991-2 Ft. Worth Redlines were the first Hogan irons I bought with my own $$$. Prior to that, I played multiple Hogan irons but they were all hand-me-downs from my dad who only played Hogan blades and bought pretty much every set they made. Not a bad way for a kid to get introduced to golf, playing Hogan Apexes :)

Loved these irons, played them until the 99 Apexes came out and switched to them. I still have the 91s. Can't part with them. Keep them in the Hogan mini-staff bag I bought at the same time. Serial numbers match on 1-SW.

I can't remember what I paid for them, I wanna say somewhere around $500-600 and another $150 for the staff bag

SWEET!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Man, that takes me back. I remember Strictly Golf. It was a ritual trip for me and my dad to go there and check out the clubs when the golf bug started biting late in the winters. Years later I worked there when it became Chicago Golf Discount. That was a real golf store (Strictly then Golf Discount). What a cast of characters that used to hang around that place...haha. Sad that those types of places no longer exist in today's world. Replaced by PGA Super Stores :-/

Yep, down on North Aurora Road...which ironically ran East & West!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

haha...you got it. Now its some sort of builders supply outlet. I still get nostalgic every time I drive by the place.

haha...you got it. Now its some sort of builders supply outlet. I still get nostalgic every time I drive by the place.

I live in Barrington now, I'm forced to go to the PGA SS near Woodfield if I want to see new gear which doesn't happen very often. If I want to find classic/vintage clubs, I go to Goodwill & Savers...?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

This was my second set of Ben Hogan irons, my first one purchased new. I had a pretty large store credit at the golf club I belonged at back in 1991-1992. The course just had a tournament and there were gambling holes. One was a long par 3. They would double the amount I pledged to purchase in the store. If I missed the green the money would go to golf shop purchase. If I hit the green then they would match. If I got it inside the circle (I think 20 foot diameter) they would give store credit double the amount of the pledge (and I didn't have to hand over monies). I pledged $150. I got it inside the circle so my pledge and store credit purchased these (2-E). I wish I still had these.

Great set!!!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 4 years later...
On 8/6/2017 at 2:39 PM, weeicemon said:

Came across a large stack of these cleaning out a file cabinet today. I had forgotten they were in there. I have invoices for almost the entire Hogan catalog as I was a staff member and my shop was stocked mostly with Hogan equipment. 1991 Hogan Apex irons wholesaled for $45 per club! That's more than I remembered! The Edge irons were the same price. Apex persimmon woods were $85 per club. Some of the best equipment ever made.

Mine didn’t cost me a dollar. I had a set of Ping Eye 2 irons and traded a guy straight up for a set of Apex PCs 3-E.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

23 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

Nice to know info - iron sets (3 thru PW) in the 70s use to cost $299!

Think about it Buzz, it was a helluva lot harder to come up with $300 fifty years ago than $1500 today. IDK about you but there weren't any credit cards in my wallet back in those days.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, nitram said:

Think about it Buzz, it was a helluva lot harder to come up with $300 fifty years ago than $1500 today. IDK about you but there weren't any credit cards in my wallet back in those days.

I don't know about that.  I got my first Visa card in 1980.  I got it so that I had a source of "emergency funds" for a trip I took to the UK.  The limit was maybe $500.  I remember paying for a rental car (for two weeks) with it, but used travelers cheques for everything else:  lodging, meals, petrol, etc. 

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa