What irons should I buy next?

jmasselli22

Hello everyone, I am currently looking for new irons. I have narrowed it down to a few, so I want to hear what everyone thinks about these irons. A little bit about my game: I am a mid to high handicapper, I sometimes have trouble slicing the ball right, I am trying to stay on the cheaper side of the market, and I want an iron that is forgiving but still has versatility. Knowing that, I would appreciate opinions on which irons would suit me best. I have been looking at: Nike Vapor Flys, Vapor Fly Pros, Ping G, Ping i200, and Titleist ap1's. Any information about these irons is appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a great Ping fan, and though I loved the S series I never got on with the G series. Dull feel, too much offset. You'll get a lot of "safe" suggestions for Ping G series but not from me.

I played a couple of versions of AP1s. Good irons, similar performance and feel to Cobra Amp irons which I'd prefer and are probably cheaper.

If you think you could improve a lot, I would go straight to Callaway Apex CF16. Marvellous irons - forged feel and fast-face performance combined, so you get the distance.

If you want irons for your present level I would go straight to TaylorMade. The Speedblades are a stand-out. Very easy to play, extra distance, modern technology. The 85g shafts make them easy to launch and easy on the body. The SLDR are a really good set if you see them at the right price. And the M2 Tour are excellent as well. If you get a chance to try them, also try RSI1 and RSI2 or even Aeroburners. These are all distance irons with fast faces, good feel and performance, and you should see some bargains about.

I'm not a great Ping fan, and though I loved the S series I never got on with the G series. Dull feel, too much offset. You'll get a lot of "safe" suggestions for Ping G series but not from me.

I played a couple of versions of AP1s. Good irons, similar performance and feel to Cobra Amp irons which I'd prefer and are probably cheaper.

If you think you could improve a lot, I would go straight to Callaway Apex CF16. Marvellous irons - forged feel and fast-face performance combined, so you get the distance.

If you want irons for your present level I would go straight to TaylorMade. The Speedblades are a stand-out. Very easy to play, extra distance, modern technology. The 85g shafts make them easy to launch and easy on the body. The SLDR are a really good set if you see them at the right price. And the M2 Tour are excellent as well. If you get a chance to try them, also try RSI1 and RSI2 or even Aeroburners. These are all distance irons with fast faces, good feel and performance, and you should see some bargains about.

Although I would love to get the CF16 or the M2, they are a bit out of my price range. I am looking to get a year or two old models trying to stay under $500-600.

I'm a srixon man through and through ever since I got myself a set of Z565's. They are the newer iron for your handicap range. But if you want to look on a slight budget could you look for the Z545? Very similar club, just without the v sole.

I know you've listed some in your post, but I'd recommend at least giving these a whack!

I'm a srixon man through and through ever since I got myself a set of Z565's. They are the newer iron for your handicap range. But if you want to look on a slight budget could you look for the Z545? Very similar club, just without the v sole.

I know you've listed some in your post, but I'd recommend at least giving these a whack!

Z545 have the v sole too. Z565 sole is just thinner and more refined.

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
Ping G425 2H @ 15.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 9TX
Ping G425 3H @ 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon ZX7 4-GW Steelfiber 110X  
Fourteen RM-4 Raw 54/60 KBS HI-REV 125 
PXG Gen 2 Operator  
ProV1X Left Dash

All the irons you listed will perform well for you if they are set up correctly for your swing. This can be accomplished through a iron fitting or if that is not available then you have to take the approach of best educated guess. The second requires more time, researching and educating yourself and is also riskier, but it can be accomplished successfully. Honestly I am thankful I have the resources available to me for iron fitting, once you have gone through a fitting you will find it difficult to not be fit. Some things to consider if you are taking the opposite approach to fitting, what are the design characteristics of the iron and what shaft will perform best with that iron for your swing then based on what you learn, what of these selected irons will provide me with the best overall performance. The forums are great for getting some opinions and to get you pointed in a basic direction, however to get the best results out of what you have available to you it will be best to do as much hands on as possible. The Nike irons may be a little trickier, but take each model and research what the design parameters are and what the intent is behind the design. I know you mentioned budget, but also keep in mind free fittings are not that unusual and can be educational even the most basic. The Ping irons should prove to be pretty simple, typically you will be able to locate plenty of opportunities to go through a basic fitting or demo through a free fitting check local courses or diving ranges even the Ping website. . Titleist offers a free fitting process the name escapes me if I remember correctly it's done on Thursdays. Again with price also a factor in your decision, The i200 is the most recent iron model in it's category from Ping, it may benefit you to look at the Ping ie1 a very good iron and should help with the budget constraints. The Nikes will be budget friendly, however options may be limited. The Titleist AP1 7-16 should be dropping in price with the upcoming release of the 718 models, with that don't overlook the 714 model.

I will share my own opinion with you in that I am a Ping fan. I currently game the ie1 irons. I went through a full fitting and honestly questioned the fitting initially when a softer shaft was recommended that went against everything that I thought I had known about my swing and shaft choice prior to the fitting. I am very glad that I went with the fitters advise because the irons have performed wonderfully for me and I couldn't be happier. I have demoed the i200s extensively there are some positive changes from the ie1 to the i200 the main being aesthetics, but I have not seen enough from them to cause me to make a change to the i200 from my current ie1. I was back east recently and gamed the Titleist 716 Ap1 irons in a course rental set I played them for two days and I was very satisfied with performance for a set of random irons. From my experience the AP1 felt smooth with a slight click to them, I didn't find them lacking in distance at all, and they offered ample forgiveness without sacrificing playability. Cons they were a little spinny or the short irons flew higher than I typically like. I will attribute that to the shaft complete opposite of what I currently game.

Find some Nike Vapor Pro Combo's - which are currently going to <$400 for 3-PW brand new.

They're better than any other iron set you listed.

Essentially you listed a bunch of cast irons w/ larger heads. Anyone w/ decent ballstriking will be fine playing the Vapor Pro Combo's.

One of the most underrated sets of irons in the last 3 years IMO.

545 would be a great option. I have played 545's and 565's extensively. I could flip a coin which irons I play daily, 565''s or PXG 0311.

Maltby DBM brand new built to your spec $359-379. Forgiving and beautiful to look at. A set that will grow with you for several years.

Agreed and check Ebay. I bought 4-GW and a HDI hybrid for around $240 and they were used less than 3 rounds. I love mine...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry