2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

33" Putter, I just didnt get it?

Hondabuff

I will be honest, I never even tried one. I'm 5'11" and have always played a 35" putter and always thought the 33" putter was made for woman or kids. I have had my Newport for a few years a decided to sell it and take the cash to Golf Galaxy to buy a new putter. Started with the new Scotty's and was like "meh" not really any better then what I had. Had in my mind about going back to a Futura but remembered that I sold it for my Newport. Bounced around some of the other OEM's and just wasn't really feeling anything. On the side wall near the womans putters of course was around a dozen white Cameron and Crown putters all at 33" of course. Started with the 6M and was just making putt after putt from every where. I really like how the putter flows with my arms at 33". Checked the racks for other putters at 33" and nothing. I have been back 2 times to try out the Futura 6M to see if was just a Honeymoon thing and so far its been great results everytime. Really think I'm going back out tonight to buy the 6M but not super crazy about the color. Is there any difference between the normal 6M in black vs the Cameron and Crown? I also wonder why 33" putters are so rare if they get you in the correct position? I was tinkering around with a fitting tool they had and I think it was made by Ping or Edel and sure enough my posture and arm length called for 33" or even 32.5". Thoughts?

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could very well be correct. I find putting with a shorter putter works well. Same height as you and my Edel fitting put me in a 33.5 inch putter at 68 degree lie angle (2 flat) and 1 degree loft because I play the ball up in my stance and like my eyeline to be inside and behind the ball, not even and over it. It works great. Putting is one of my strengths. I am typically on line and it is all about speed for me.

I found 33 to be.a tad too short, but 33.5 or 34 is perfect, depending on the putter. I do not putt well if any longer.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

absolutely agree...

see my signature

whatever gets you into the correct posture

my 33" putter has a 365g head (swing weight is D3 or so)

if you want some corroborating information, search Todd Sones and tri-fit method

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

There's no difference in the regular model and the crown model other than paint. You could buy the regular version at 33" or cut one down and adjust weighting if necessary.

The reason 33" putters aren't as common is pretty much due to your previous thoughts. A lot of guys think it's for women or kids. I'm 5'10" and I use 32.5" putters.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

Every time I have in in Golf Galaxy I don't think I every picked up the Putter fitting tool to check my length. What I noticed the most was the relief of tension in my shoulder sockets. The 35" I can feel the tension of holding the putter and the 33" feels like I can relax them and the heavier weight of the putter pulls at my shoulders naturally and my arms are straighter. My swing flaws where obvious when I went back to a 35" putter. A little loop on the back swing and the occasional stubbing of the putter on the ground during long putts.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I'm a little over 6' and have always used a 33-33.5" putter. Like you, I like the position of my relaxed arms hanging downward and I'm able to simply rock them back and forth in a triangle.

As DeCuchi already mentioned, there is no difference in the Cameron putters. The regular line will also come in 33", and you won't have to have that stupid stamping on the face / toe that the Cameron & Crown putters have.

I usually purchase a 34" putter and cut it down because I prefer the 15g weights instead of the 20g's that 33" Cameron's come with.

You should go get a SAM putter fitting. I'm 5' 11", 35-36" sleeve length in shirts, and 34" inseam in pants, long arms and long legs. I used 35" putters. I would have never thought to try a 33" putter. I went for a fitting at Club Champion, best $100 I've spent in golf. First thing they did was cut my existing putter down to 33". They also adjusted the lie. Afterwards I have bought putters with thos specs. CC also adjusted other putters loft and lie for free.

We spend so much on drivers, irons and then scrimp on the putter.

Go get fit!

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Get in your ideal putting position with no putter in your hands. Relax and get 100% comfortable. Then grab a putter without changing position (or better yet have someone hand it to you).

Any putter that has between 1/2" and 2" sticking out from above your hands is the right length. Any putter that soles level without the toe dragging or sticking up is the correct lie.

Contorting your body out of its ideal putting posture and/or your optimum ball and eye position, just to suit a different spec putter, is dumb. But I see people doing it all the time.

I went back two more times to see if I was just having a hot day putting with the 33" putter. I noticed my miss was a pull with the 33" putter the second time I went. Not the same success I was showing the first time I was at Golf Galaxy. I was putting really well with a 34" Futura 6M with about 1" of the grip being exposed and seemed to roll the ball with a bit of consistency again. I left the store with no putter and wasn't really digging the colors of the Cameron & Crown but liked the normal Futura colors. I made it back up to the store yesterday and tried the 33" again and the 34" side by side. I liked the feeling of the 34" putter with a little bit of the grip exposed but still didn't care for the Scotty Matador grip. I kept coming back to the Toulon and one of the other Odyssey putters and realized I just loved the Pistol GT Tour grips on them. Ended up buying a Futura 6M 34" and a red and black Pistol GT Tour grip. Bought both of them online and should be here by Thursday or Friday.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

So what I based my decision was this:

1) I liked the position of my arms that the 33" putter put me in.

2) I like the pendulum swing the 33" putter made me do

3) I did not like holding the 33" putter by the very end of the grip

4) I pulled putts when I reached down further on a 33" putter

5) I do not like the squishy Scotty Cameron matador grip

6) I liked the Super Stroke Pistol GT Tour Counter core on every putter that had it.

7) 34" Putter length gave me the most consistent ball path with my hands 1" from the end of the handle

8) I liked the weight of the 33" 6M but the 34" seemed to produce a more consistent roll and Tempo. Weird to say the 33" felt better but the 34" was hard to ignore the results. Might of just been the pitch of the tone the ball was making of the 33" Cameron and Crown.

9) The Cameron and Crown was a bit too much bling for my taste. Like having a Scotty in the bag isn't high end enough.

10) Wearing flip flops the first time made a difference in height for the length of putter I was trying. Wear shoes equal to you golf shoes.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Good point about wearing golf shoes (or at least shoes with a little bit of sole thickness and similar "drop" to your golf shoes).

The one thing you won't know until you try the new putter with your preferred grip is whether the length preference for 34" was because you were "choking down" and the grip is shaped differently an inch or so farther down. Although I personally do like having at least a little bit of grip sticking up above my hands no matter what grip I'm using (especially on the occasions I might use the putter from off the green with the ball below my feet somewhat).

Drivers are very different than putters but I've always found if I get in a good groove with a driver whilst choking down a couple inches, it does NOT work to chop two inches off the butt. A 46" driver choked down does not play (for me) like a 44" driver gripped at the butt. I suspect a little of that is true for putters, although one inch isn't really a whole lot either way.

Im the opposite of you...I always try to go 32" and never get along with those putters for my arms straight down SBST putting stroke. I always end up with a SS Slim 3.0 slapped on the end of the final playing length of 30-30.5"...no matter the model type, I just don't get the on course results unless in that size range. To the OP, its really a personal preference that needs to be fitted to style for best results. Sounds like you figured it out and good on you mate. Good luck with your new stick.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I'm 6'4" tall and putt with a 33" putter as well (an old Ping Cushin). I used to game 35" putters thinking that's "just what tall guys do". Picked up the Ping at a store one day, set up over it and everything just felt and looked better from a putting perspective. My putting has been much more consistent and I feel much of that has to do with the ability to more freely move my shoulders and arms based on how I hold the putter now. I have putters now from 33" to 37" in length and keep going back to the 33" Ping when I compare them head to head. Thinking of cutting my others down soon.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

I'm 6'4" tall and putt with a 33" putter as well (an old Ping Cushin). I used to game 35" putters thinking that's "just what tall guys do". Picked up the Ping at a store one day, set up over it and everything just felt and looked better from a putting perspective. My putting has been much more consistent and I feel much of that has to do with the ability to more freely move my shoulders and arms based on how I hold the putter now. I have putters now from 33" to 37" in length and keep going back to the 33" Ping when I compare them head to head. Thinking of cutting my others down soon.

I'm only 6' even but have short arms so our proportions probably work out about the same for putter length.

The only ones over 33" I can use well are the counterbalanced ones with the extra-long SuperStroke grip, designed to be gripped like a 33" one even though they are 35" long.

im a bit of the opposite, i was fit for 33.5 but just didnt feel comfortable bent over that far. 6 ft tall. so went to 34. at 34.5 i feel good, my back isnt stressed, and with a flatter lie it sets up nice. you can be fit for many lengths based on how you stand, no matter arm length really. my arms are long, and depending on knee bend and/or back bend i can flux between 33 and 35. i would set up, get comfortable where you think you will mostly set up to on the course without thinking, and fit the putter to that length. just my .02 :-)

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Height has nothing to do with putter length...........

It's all about the distance from a golfers grip to the ground when, they have taken their stance........ some people have short arms, some long arms some use different grips(hand positions)

Putters should be tried at the very minimum in proper golf shoes on an outdoor putting green......with your ball of choice.

Go from there.....

It's more than just your height you need to consider. How long are your arms? What is your stance like? Do you bend over a lot (like Kuch) or very little (like Ricky).

You could be 6 foot 4 but be hunched over more than a 90 year old grandma, and you still may fit into a 33'' putter. But at the end of the day, it's what feels best and what fits you best.

I cut my new 8802 to 32.5", making more putts with this then I ever did with a 34" putter. I'm 5'10".

Mizuno STZ 9.5 Motore X F1s 44.5"
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Project X pxv 6.0

Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid Tensei Blue S
Srixon ZX7 4-AW Nippon Modus3 Tour 120s 
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 56*-62* 
Wilson Staff 8802 Milled 32.5"
Titleist Tour Speed/ ProvV1 21

The OTR Scotty lengths are 35" with 10g weights and 34" with 15g weights. They created the Cameron & Crown line which is nothing but good marketing to add a 33" with 20g weights option. At all these length + weight settings all of their swing-weights are about equal or the same feel.

If you choke down an inch on a standard 34" Scotty, you kind of make it a 33" putter with a lighter head feel than what's intended. Totally okay, but you'll definitely get a lighter feel because the head is actually slightly lighter in the 34" and then the 35".

I used to cut down my putters to 33", mostly because I crouch more than most people. But I found that I seemed to have problems with long lag putting with the shorter length. So I keep the putter at 35" and just position my hands a couple inches lower for putts within 20-25', and stand up straighter and grip the putter higher for longer putts.

I'm 5'9" and play a 32.5" putter and could probably go shorter even. I love a short putter. My irons are 1/2" short and my woods are all 1" short as well. I like short clubs :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2