2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rory/Day/DJ will never win another major

golfer929

58 minutes ago, jmck said:

There’s a big difference between “not wrong so far” and “right.”

Simply remarkable how many people aren’t capable of understanding how linear time works.

And yeah, “the way most of them are playing” that’s another good one. Takes dedicated, long-term garbage playing to be #1, 4, or 38 in the OWGR.

Just beyond stupid. But hey, good on you for embracing it.

That's a whole lot of words for you to say you're wrong

• Like 1

.......... is not going to win another major is pretty much always a good bet odds wise.  There are very few guys I'd take the other side.

Bryson I would take the other side he's too young and hungry and full of himself.  That's not something I'd bet against.

Now as for these three....

Day is easy money, Rory (while this makes people really angry for some reason) is a good position to take, he may win but I'd say it's a good position to cash on.  DJ seems even more risky but I think the age will start creeping into the equation and taking this bet against him now is viable.  His game is strong but PGA Championship showed again he's not a tremendous closer (to say the least).  He needs to have a huge lead by Sunday and ride it out.

Now taking all these 3 at the time OP made his OP, that's a strong move. 

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

20 hours ago, jmck said:

There’s a big difference between “not wrong so far” and “right.”

Simply remarkable how many people aren’t capable of understanding how linear time works.

And yeah, “the way most of them are playing” that’s another good one. Takes dedicated, long-term garbage playing to be #1, 4, or 38 in the OWGR.

Just beyond stupid. But hey, good on you for embracing it.

Exactly...the guy that said “Tiger will never win another major”  because he wrecked his knee playin/winning The US Open in 2008 looked like Nostradamus for a bit over a decade. But he wasn’t right as it turned out.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

57 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Exactly...the guy that said “Tiger will never win another major”  because he wrecked his knee playin/winning The US Open in 2008 looked like Nostradamus for a bit over a decade. But he wasn’t right as it turned out.

I know, right?  Watson was an inch away from winning a major at age 59.  Golf Digest had a cover story about Jack being washed up in 1979.  It's hard to say what the future holds.

You make a prediction that spans a couple of decades there isn't a victory lap to be had 3 years in.  Pretty simple concept IMO, but apparently some people are struggling to grasp it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmck said:

I know, right?  Watson was an inch away from winning a major at age 59.  Golf Digest had a cover story about Jack being washed up in 1979.  It's hard to say what the future holds.

You make a prediction that spans a couple of decades there isn't a victory lap to be had 3 years in.  Pretty simple concept IMO, but apparently some people are struggling to grasp it.

Do you think DJ or Rory or Day are as good as Tiger or Jack or Watson?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lark said:

lol.  I love that you posted this thinking it was some sort of galaxy-brained gotcha!-type of post.....it's just :chef's kiss:.....perfection.

Why?  One, that's not the question here is it.

Two, it never crossed your mind that that very same knife cuts in the other direction too.  In fact, it's an argument that works much MUCH better the other way.  Why?  DJ, Day and Rory don't have to be as good as Tiger, Jack or Watson.  They only have to be (COMBINED!) as good as Jimmy Walker or Danny Willett or Keegan Bradley or YE Yang or Lucas Glover or Stewart Cink or Trevor Immelman or Ben Curtis or Shaun Micheel or Mike Weir or Rich Beem or Paul Lawrie or Corey Pavin or Wayne Grady or Bob Tway or Bill Rodgers or Dow Finsterwald....or any other number of players who happened to get hot for the right week or two here or there.  Do you think that DJ, Rory and Day AREN'T as good as all those guys?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jmck said:

lol.  I love that you posted this thinking it was some sort of galaxy-brained gotcha!-type of post.....it's just :chef's kiss:.....perfection.

Two, it never crossed your mind that that very same knife cuts in the other direction too.  In fact, it's an argument that works much MUCH better the other way.  Why?  DJ, Day and Rory don't have to be as good as Tiger, Jack or Watson.  They only have to be (COMBINED!) as good as Jimmy Walker or Danny Willett or Keegan Bradley or YE Yang or Lucas Glover or Stewart Cink or Trevor Immelman or Ben Curtis or Shaun Micheel or Mike Weir or Rich Beem or Paul Lawrie or Corey Pavin or Wayne Grady or Bob Tway or Bill Rodgers or Dow Finsterwald....or any other number of players who happened to get hot for the right week or two here or there.  Do you think that DJ, Rory and Day AREN'T as good as all those guys?

Which major winner was written off and then years later came back and won another major? The ones you mentioned (although Watson didn’t actually win) were decidedly better than Rory, DJ or Day. Unless you think they weren’t?

13 minutes ago, Lark said:

Which major winner was written off and then years later came back and won another major? The ones you mentioned (although Watson didn’t actually win) were decidedly better than Rory, DJ or Day. Unless you think they weren’t?

What are you trying to say? Has the world outside of a few posters in this thread “written off” the golfers currently ranked #1, #4 and #38? Have you seriously missed the point that you don’t have to be an all time great to win a major? Average age of DJ, Day and Rory is about 32.5. Mark O’Mera won two majors at age 41, with fewer tour wins over his career than Rory and DJ have already racked up, a few more than Day, exact numbers depending on what you count. Are you here to argue that O’Mera did something these other three guys—who have already won majors—can’t? Paddy Harrington won 3 majors from age 36-37 and has six official PGA tour victories. You gonna back him in a money match over the other three guys combined?

Never mind. Forget I asked. Not sure why I’m bothering at this point. Lost cause trying to have a conversation with the willfully obtuse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lark said:

Let’s put it this way. You seem to be positive that Rory DJ and Day will never win another major. Amiright? So certain in fact that you would be willing to go to Vegas and bet it all on the next 15 years or so...60 majors played(hopefully, as in 2020 there were not 4)....you’d bet the house that they will not win another?  Or are you just saying that these guys were not as good as Watson at the age of 59(they’re better) or Jack  at 40(could be right on this one) or broken back Tiger(juries still out but they look better at this point).

8 hours ago, rafal said:

15 pages, right on point, fun topic on fun forum....

The hate keeps rolling in....

True lol. I actually would be happy to see any of them win another major. I think DJ in particular will have a legacy of underachievement if he does not. And Rory has a chance to be considered one of the all-time greats if he wins a few more including a Masters. But three years later the OP prediction has been spot-on and the disrespectful comments at the time he first made the prediction are looking sillier with each passing major.

Edited by Lark
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lark said:

True lol. I actually would be happy to see any of them win another major. I think DJ in particular will have a legacy of underachievement if he does not. And Rory has a chance to be considered one of the all-time greats if he wins a few more including a Masters. But three years later the OP prediction has been spot-on and the disrespectful comments at the time he first made the prediction are looking sillier with each passing major.

I honestly got tired of being personal persecuted for giving an opinion about anything on this forum.  At this point I let others take the punches.

Edited by rafal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

• 1 month later...

DJ is set to win the Masters.  Your predictions have not panned out...

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Although he showed all the same failings (failing on the first day under pressure and then free-wheeling to a high finish), I'm more convinced Rory McIlroy will win another major as well after this week. That's the best he's ever putted at Augusta and like Dustin if he just keeps putting himself in contention he's bound to win one. Some week it's going to all come together again. 

On 9/29/2020 at 12:14 AM, jmck said:

This was well written. 

• Like 2

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

1 minute ago, golfer929 said:

OP here, not M.I.A. Couldn’t get to the phone until I got off work. I’ll be the first to admit it. I was wrong. I flat out missed this prediction based off what I said. I thought DJ would for sure rank the lead today (And he looked like he was about to on the front 9), but he executed down the stretch. I still am holding strong on Day and Rory. They won’t ever win one again. If they combine to go 1-However many over the course of the rest of their careers, give me some credit on that. I’ll be right here ready to take credit, but also to take all criticism, like I should here. 

For those saying it’s not a real major, that’s wrong. It is a major, plain and simple. Not the same conditions as far as time of year, crowd, course conditions, but a major through and through.

Good on you. 👍

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

12 minutes ago, golfer929 said:

OP here, not M.I.A. Couldn’t get to the phone until I got off work. I’ll be the first to admit it. I was wrong. I flat out missed this prediction based off what I said. I thought DJ would for sure rank the lead today (And he looked like he was about to on the front 9), but he executed down the stretch. I still am holding strong on Day and Rory. They won’t ever win one again. If they combine to go 1-However many over the course of the rest of their careers, give me some credit on that. I’ll be right here ready to take credit, but also to take all criticism, like I should here. 

For those saying it’s not a real major, that’s wrong. It is a major, plain and simple. Not the same conditions as far as time of year, crowd, course conditions, but a major through and through.

Well stated OP. I saved a slice for you. 😀

image.jpeg.359e7bbd54755f99291b5085b62e8aa4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, jmck said:

What are you trying to say? Has the world outside of a few posters in this thread “written off” the golfers currently ranked #1, #4 and #38? Have you seriously missed the point that you don’t have to be an all time great to win a major? Average age of DJ, Day and Rory is about 32.5. Mark O’Mera won two majors at age 41, with fewer tour wins over his career than Rory and DJ have already racked up, a few more than Day, exact numbers depending on what you count. Are you here to argue that O’Mera did something these other three guys—who have already won majors—can’t? Paddy Harrington won 3 majors from age 36-37 and has six official PGA tour victories. You gonna back him in a money match over the other three guys combined?

Never mind. Forget I asked. Not sure why I’m bothering at this point. . Lost cause trying to have a conversation with the willfully obtuse

An apt sentiment in many of my day to day interactions.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

19 hours ago, One Putter said:

Imagine how dumb you'd have to be to make this thread. DJ will win multiple more and Rory aint done either. 

14 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

This is a forum for everyone to enjoy, and for posting opinions, for going out on a limb and being provocative. OP owned his wrong prediction and you call him dumb. I don’t understand why you’re so rude. Be nice. 

Agree no reason to call him dumb, he was right for longer than i would have thought. Almost 4 years worth of majors pasted by. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60